Old time SKA

David Badagnani

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

My favorite old ska (Studio 1) songs have texts based on stories from
the Bible. I wonder how common this was.

My favorite song, about Samson, goes:
"Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden
Until a woman take it from 'im."

Does anybody know if this song is available now? It was on an out of
print CD called _Birth of Ska_...

Thanks people.
--
David Badagnani (dbad...@phoenix.kent.edu)
Webpage: http://Phoenix.kent.edu/~dbadagna

Kevin Rooney

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

It was common to see a strong spiritual element in alot of Jamaican ska
music. This continued through the rocksteady and reggae eras as well. One
of my favorites is The Wailers' "Thank You Lord" from the late-sixties. I
have also found biblical references to be common, but I'm afraid I don't
know if that particular song is available.

Easy Skankin',

Kevin

In article <4m6v8g$c...@tombstone.kent.edu>, dbad...@Phoenix.kent.edu
(David Badagnani) wrote:

--
DOWNBEAT RULERS - DC Ska & Rocksteady
Home Page: http://worldweb.net/~krooney/drulers.html

pyr...@wavenet.com

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

> In article <4m6v8g$c...@tombstone.kent.edu>, dbad...@Phoenix.kent.edu
> (David Badagnani) wrote:
>
> > My favorite old ska (Studio 1) songs have texts based on stories from
> > the Bible. I wonder how common this was.
> >
> > My favorite song, about Samson, goes:
> > "Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden
> > Until a woman take it from 'im."

See also "Six and Seven Books of Moses" by The Maytals (when they
were "The Vikings"), "Mount Zion" by Desmond Dekkar and the Aces
(both on one of the "Intensified" LPs), and for religious references
check out the early Marley as in "The Wailin' Rude Boys" doing
the ska "One Love," "Who Feels It," and "Love and Affection."

Mike "Skankersore"

--
This .sig contains the word ABORTION purely because the U.S.
Congress outlawed discussion on this topic in cyberspace.

Po Tragna

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

dbad...@Phoenix.kent.edu (David Badagnani) wrote:

>My favorite old ska (Studio 1) songs have texts based on stories from
>the Bible. I wonder how common this was.

>My favorite song, about Samson, goes:
> "Samson was the strongest man in the days of olden
> Until a woman take it from 'im."

>Does anybody know if this song is available now? It was on an out of

>print CD called _Birth of Ska_...

The song is available on the "Hog in a Cocoa" Cd available on Lagoon
out of France.

I know that Hepcat has covered this song, and there's a sorta cover of
it on the brand new Venice Shoreline Chris album.

It's a great song. I've actually been listening to it a lot this
week... (damn women...) ;)

-mike (IthaSka)

daisy z. dailey

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

Well, Mike and his recent troubles with women aside :-), the song on the
Venice Shoreline Chris CD is called "Solomon" and is about the biblical
character by that same name (the lyrics go "Solomon was wise, he had many
wives" and so on).

Does Chris' song about Solomon have the same music as the one about Samson
and thus it's a cover, or are you talking about two different songs?

And no, I don't have anything better to do with my time, why do you ask?

Daisy
(also de IthaSka)

In article <4mjsf2$n...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, md...@cornell.edu wrote:

**SNIP!

hrabahospital...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2018, 12:10:23 AM9/21/18
Any chance this is a living and real group?