Fred Perry Shirts?

Skip to the first unread message

Mick Spencer

24 Apr 1997, 03:00:0024/04/1997

Hey All,
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Fred Perry Shirt? I've seen
people mention them in some sort of relation to Ska. Is this some kind
of shirt Ska fans would be likely to wear? Is it a 2-tone thing? Or
what? Thanks.
---Mick
Mick Spencer mailto:nspe...@epix.net
http://www.epix.net/~nspencer/
... Heisenberg may have slept here ...

The Hawk

25 Apr 1997, 03:00:0025/04/1997

Fred Perry was a professional UK tennis player from days gone by. His
polo-type shirts were popularized during the two-tone days. Correct me
if I'm wrong, but I believe the Mods were mainly responsible for the
shirt's high visibility during this time. Apparently the place to find
them is at TJ Maxx during the spring. Of course, your local thrift
store is another place to check.

Peace,

Dave Haucke

"I want my foreskin back. I lost it in a brutal attack."

brandie

25 Apr 1997, 03:00:0025/04/1997

Mick Spencer wrote:

> Hey All,
> At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Fred Perry Shirt? I've seen
> people mention them in some sort of relation to Ska. Is this some kind
> of shirt Ska fans would be likely to wear? Is it a 2-tone thing? Or
> what? Thanks.
> ---Mick
> Mick Spencer mailto:nspe...@epix.net
> http://www.epix.net/~nspencer/
> ... Heisenberg may have slept here ...

yep, perry was a tennis player, he won wimbelton (please dont feel the
need to correct my spelling...) three times in a row. and he was a
skinhead. there's a whole line of tennis clothing that bears his name..
shirts, jackets, socks, tennis skirts and the likes. lots of ppl wear
the stuff in europe.. "shirts by fred, 'nough said" was a polular
bilboard i believe. in the us (from my observance) its mostly either an
upperclass tennis snooty thing or a skinhead thing. kinda ironic, eh?
of course i wear em to show my respect, and to look smart as hell!
cheers!
bj

Brian J Aulisio

26 Apr 1997, 03:00:0026/04/1997

: At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Fred Perry Shirt? I've seen

Uh uh uh.....you lose 2 scene points for not knowing! It's just a polo
shirt with that little wreath that all those bald-headed ones of all walks
of politics wear; some say Fred was a white power guy, others say he was
gay, but, I know for a fact: He was a tennis player with his own brand of
shirt, and probably got quite rich off of the mods, and later on
skinheads.....same goes for the guy who makes those skinny-ass
suspenders...that lucky bloke must be rolling in it.....what does it have
to do with ska? Absolutely nothing, really, a lotta ska fans wear 'em I
guess....you get more scene points that way...

--
-Brian in G'ville-
<<<<<<<<<<<The Following is a Programmed Signature>>>>>>>>>>>

I have no zines, I have nothing to sell, just cynicism baby, cynicism!
Oh, yeah, I play trumpet in a band called Skahumbug and you can see
pictures of me and my friends in stupid poses at a park in Tampa
and playing some shows and stuff....at.....

http://members.aol.com/Skahumbug6/Skahumbug.html

brought to you by The Florida Ska Web Page by good ol' -Julio in Tampa-

I hope you enjoyed my post, feel free to e-mail and rip me a new asshole

or, just to say hey.......Have a pleasant day!

<<<<<<<<<<<Ok, This Is The End Of The Signature. Bye.>>>>>>>>

brandie

27 Apr 1997, 03:00:0027/04/1997

PaSkafreak wrote:

> hey, while we're on the subject, where can i get some Freds? i found a
> great fred perry sweater at the mission but i can't find any place that
> sells em except through mail order from england. any stores in philly that
> sells em or any place on the east coast i can order them from? help!
>
> cheers! ~Monica
two tone mailing order and crash and burn and the merc in london all
carry fred perry stuff.
however, i have found the best place to get them is small second hand
stores in the suburbs. kids look for em in the city and lots of old
farts have em layin around in their houses and donate them. ive found 3
*great* shirts in very good condition.. and have passed over a few
really ugly ones too..
cheers
-brandie

brandie

27 Apr 1997, 03:00:0027/04/1997

there's other shirts besides the polo ones.. theres a whole line of
shit. it all looks quite smart too! i know i already repliedto this
post, but for some reason i feel the need to once again. theres allkinds
acool shit.. t shirts, polo's, skirts, socks, jackets, pants.. blah blah
so CHECK IT OUT. ok, ats all
cheers
bj

Peter Siegel

28 Apr 1997, 03:00:0028/04/1997
to PaSkafreak

PaSkafreak wrote:

> hey, while we're on the subject, where can i get some Freds? i found a
> great fred perry sweater at the mission but i can't find any place that
> sells em except through mail order from england. any stores in philly that
> sells em or any place on the east coast i can order them from? help!
>
> cheers! ~Monica

Try TJ Maxx this time of year.

Peter
--
Trip your face off with L.S.D. The Liberty Scooter Division.
L.S.D. is looking for members in the Philadelphia area.

Contact L.S.D at: ve...@roinet.com

paulskin

28 Apr 1997, 03:00:0028/04/1997

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Mick Spencer wrote:

> Hey All,

> At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Fred Perry Shirt? I've seen

> people mention them in some sort of relation to Ska. Is this some kind
> of shirt Ska fans would be likely to wear? Is it a 2-tone thing? Or
> what? Thanks.
> ---Mick

its those collared polo-type shirts with the laurel wreath that those
crazy skinheads wear. if you see one at a ska show its very likely that
was a skinhead.
paul
bssc

Jeremy

29 Apr 1997, 03:00:0029/04/1997

Also try Berlington Coat Factory. In Atlanta Crash and Burn.
But I would save my money and buy a scooter listed below!

Peter Siegel <psi...@roinet.com> wrote in article
<3364BF...@roinet.com>...

molly b.

29 Apr 1997, 03:00:0029/04/1997

alright. the Fred Perry polo shirt or sweater is a sort of identifying
symbol for mods as skins as are the red & blue targets (or RAF), or the
69 or crucified skinhead. it's basically a brand of tennis wear that is
expensive, $30-50 a pop. sometimes you can find them used at yr local
Salvy's or St. Vinnie's. just look for the gold crest on the left
brest.
-molly b.

--
"How many Rude Grrls does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"
"Two! One to drop it and the other to say 'Pick it Up!'"

Jeremy

30 Apr 1997, 03:00:0030/04/1997

Fred perry was the first person to win at Wimbeton. Or how ever you spell
it. He had a tennis racket that was in the shape of the logo. Mods wore
them first, because the Mods later became what we know as skins.

Jenn Starkman <bb...@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in article
<5k3pkb$l...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>...

wrote:

> >Hey All,
> >At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Fred Perry Shirt?
>

> Fred Perry was a British tennis player. The shirts referred to are from
his
> eponymous clothing line. The label is popular among skinheads and mods
> because the clothes look smart, and are part of the traditional wardrobe
of
> both subcultures.
>
> The Fred Perrys mentioned here usually refer to the polo-style shirts
that are
> most popular, but you can get Fred Perry sweaters and, for the girls,
mini
> tennis-skirts as well, among other things.

> >I've seen people mention them in some sort of relation to Ska.
>

> Actually, they're generally mentioned here on the ska NG, but
specifically in
> relation to skinheads, etc.

> >Is this some kind of shirt Ska fans would be likely to wear?
>

> Not unless they happened also to be skinheads or mods, or they just liked
the
> shirts. There's no particular reason, though, why your average ska fan
would
> be wearing a Fred.

> >Is it a 2-tone thing?
>

> Nope! Freds were popular among the above-mentioned subcultures long
before
> 2-Tone existed.
>
> Jenn
>

> ******
> Note: I am no longer using my freenet or Netcom e-mail accounts
> in order to protect those servers from the mailbombing which I
> have been subjected to recently. Anybody who would like to contact
> me via e-mail should leave a message on alt.skinheads to that effect,
> and I will send you my new e-mail address.

ramone

30 Apr 1997, 03:00:0030/04/1997

Jeremy wrote:

> Fred perry was the first person to win at Wimbeton. Or how ever you spell
> it. He had a tennis racket that was in the shape of the logo. Mods wore
> them first, because the Mods later became what we know as skins.

Actually, Fred Perry was the last Englishman to win Wimbledon. What made
FP
special was that he was a working class kid at a time that tennis was an
upperclass sport. So he became a working class hero.

ramone

"Watching the rich kids from your secret hideaway,
watching the rich kids every night and every day" - Arthur Kay

| ___ _ _____ ___ . _ ___ _ _____

| | |_||_ | | / / \ ||_ | |_||_ | | |\ /| | |

| | | ||_ |____ |__/ |_____| | _| | | ||_ | | | \/ | | |

| | | \ | | | | | | | |

| _____| | \ | | |____ | | | | |

|________________________________________________________________________|
| |

| Nino Smulders (a.k.a. ramone> | http://huizen.dds.nl/~ramone/
|
| =======
|
| mail: ram...@dds.nl | ram...@xs4all.nl

|_______________________________|________________________________________|

Jenn Starkman

2 May 1997, 03:00:0002/05/1997

Ummm...this is mostly correct, but for the sake of people not being misled
(not to be obnoxious), you might want to note that...

In article <33669B...@rt66.com>, "molly b." <mi...@rt66.com> wrote:
>alright. the Fred Perry polo shirt or sweater is a sort of identifying
>symbol for mods as skins as are the red & blue targets (or RAF), or the
>69 or crucified skinhead. it's basically a brand of tennis wear that is
>expensive, $30-50 a pop.

Actually, depending on where you get them, they're not always that expensive.
Mail-order is often the most expensive, though also often the best quality.
However, I've heard of people finding them at TJ Maxx for around $20-$25, or
at other departments stores in the sections where they sell tennis wear, for
not a lot of money. Looking in thrift shops, as mentioned below, is always a
good bet.

>sometimes you can find them used at yr local Salvy's or St. Vinnie's. just
>look for the gold crest on the left brest.

Ummm...I'm not sure what you mean by the "gold crest", but the laurels (the
distinguishing design on the breast of a Fred) are in different colours on
different shirts (kinda like Polo used to do), so just look for the "Fred
Perry" label and the distinguishing laurels, as they won't necessarily be in
gold (I've got Freds with navy, burgundy, and light-blue laurels).

Jenn

******
Note: I am no longer using my freenet or Netcom e-mail accounts
in order to protect those servers from the mailbombing which I
have been subjected to recently. Anybody who would like to contact
me via e-mail should leave a message on alt.skinheads to that effect,

and I will be in touch with you.

paulskin

3 May 1997, 03:00:0003/05/1997

On 30 Apr 1997, Jeremy wrote:

> Fred perry was the first person to win at Wimbeton. Or how ever you spell
> it. He had a tennis racket that was in the shape of the logo. Mods wore
> them first, because the Mods later became what we know as skins.

umm i don't think he was the first person to win wimbledon. he had a
laurel wreath racket? news to me. and it was the hard mods, working class
toughs who started cropping their hair short and dressing in bens, jeans,
and boots for street fighting that became skins.
paul

Courtney

3 May 1997, 03:00:0003/05/1997

: >69 or crucified skinhead. it's basically a brand of tennis wear that is
: >expensive, $30-50 a pop.

: Actually, depending on where you get them, they're not always that expensive.
: Mail-order is often the most expensive, though also often the best quality.
: However, I've heard of people finding them at TJ Maxx for around $20-$25, or
: at other departments stores in the sections where they sell tennis wear, for
: not a lot of money. Looking in thrift shops, as mentioned below, is always a
: good bet.

or, you can go for what i found to be the best bet...hit a third world country.
you think i'm kidding? you can get em for a buck or two. they're all OVER the place.

-courtney (who is still kicking herself for leaving a fred when the guy was trying
to charge 4 bucks for it because she was a white tourist! so much for
principles...and it was SHARP too. damn!)
--

My bacon has a 33% mortality rate.

-http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cochrane

molly b.

3 May 1997, 03:00:0003/05/1997

<umm i don't think he was the first person to win wimbledon. he had a
laurel wreath racket? news to me. and it was the hard mods, working
class toughs who started cropping their hair short and dressing in bens,
jeans, and boots for street fighting that became skins.>

actually there was this crossover during the transition of mod to skin.
mods were city kids. they had really urban jobs. the mod era was over
by '68. the doc workers who worked with some of the rockers really dug
the mod styles, music and scooters. that's where the crossover is.
while quite a few mods went for the skin style and lifestyle, a few of
them held onto the whole mod thing until the '70s when they adopted
punk. the rockers either became punks or got corporate jobs and
disappeared. this mod to punk thing was pretty common. that's what my
mother did.
now about the Fred Perry's and mods. like paul said, back then it really
wasn't a status thing as it because and still is. they were just the
nice brand of shirts. the mods wore them all the time because their
work clothes and the clothes they wore to shows and rumbles weren't much
different. so there you go.
-molly b.
local pop culture history guru

Jenn Starkman

5 May 1997, 03:00:0005/05/1997

In article <5kfu4o$v...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Court? Next time you go to Cameroon, can I stow away in your bag? <grin>

Courtney

6 May 1997, 03:00:0006/05/1997

: >or, you can go for what i found to be the best bet...hit a third world
: >country. you think i'm kidding? you can get em for a buck or two. they're
: >all OVER the place.
: >
: >-courtney (who is still kicking herself for leaving a fred when the guy was
: >trying to charge 4 bucks for it because she was a white tourist! so much for
: >principles...and it was SHARP too. damn!)

: Court? Next time you go to Cameroon, can I stow away in your bag? <grin>

COURSE!!! ...but can we leave commander what at home? hee hee.

-court

Jenn Starkman

9 May 1997, 03:00:0009/05/1997

In article <5knp1g$f...@netnews.upenn.edu>,
coch...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Courtney) wrote:
>Jenn Starkman wrote:

>: >or, you can go for what i found to be the best bet...hit a third world
>: >country. you think i'm kidding? you can get em for a buck or two.
>: >they're all OVER the place.
>: >
>: >-courtney (who is still kicking herself for leaving a fred when the guy
>: >was trying to charge 4 bucks for it because she was a white tourist! so
>: >much for principles...and it was SHARP too. damn!)
>
>: Court? Next time you go to Cameroon, can I stow away in your bag? <grin>
>
>COURSE!!! ...but can we leave commander what at home? hee hee.

Yeah, we'll just promise to bring him back a $2 Fred if he behaves himself...
<GriN>

w...@thehat.ca

8 May 2020, 18:36:2908/05/2020
Try eBay. They have lots of Fred Perry stuff; sneakers, polo shirts, long sleeve button down collared shirts, jackets and tennis wear; new and gently used.