West coast Ska kicks ass!!!

Nava Espacial

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

When it comes to SKA the west coast is the U.S. hot-spot. Anyone who disagrees
has obviously never heard of The Rudiments, Skankin' Pickle,
Voodo-Glowskulls,or Sublime (to name a few). Everything else over here might
suck, but the ska is kickin'!
Wade
--

<^-^-^>
/~ ~\

Mike Bigskank

Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96

ke...@psln.com (Nava Espacial) wrote:

>When it comes to SKA the west coast is the U.S. hot-spot. Anyone who disagrees
>has obviously never heard of The Rudiments, Skankin' Pickle,
>Voodo-Glowskulls,or Sublime (to name a few). Everything else over here might
>suck, but the ska is kickin'!
> Wade
>--

Ummm....im from California...and we have some GOOD ska bands, but, not
all the good ones. WE are seriously lacking in alot of GREAT talents
all over the US. Also, i myslef wouldnt add Sublime to a ska listing
of CA talent, wouldnt want to degrade ska in any way.

Mike

Hannah Mae

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Bob Petersen wrote:
> > Mikewest coast ska rules.northern is insane!slow gherkin are the
> best and punch the clown!

Yeah, how is the west the ska hot spot? In California maybe, but in
Seattle we have something like five ska bands, one ska show every
three-four weeks if we're lucky (and always 21+, but that's another rant)
and probably 100-150 rudies in the whole city. Somebody send us a scene!

-Hannah

MobilRich

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Your out of your fuckin mind!! DUDE!!!Yeah I was in California for a few
years, but I am dam Native New Yorker. Yeah, you got those crappy
commericial succes with those skacore bands:Sublime, Buck O Nine-
But you will always be in the shawdow of New York: the Big Apple, the
NYC a city of immigrants from all over the world, not just Asians and
Hispanics, but Eastern Europeans to Jamaicans! This is the home of The
Skatalites, The Toasters, the Scofflaws, The Slackers, and for those not
into roots ska Mephiskapeles. Sure, I could go on and ramble, but in the
end "NYC SKA is the place to be!!!!
But sorry you are deprived, uneducated, and just plain ignorant.!

Bob Petersen

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Schroedinger Cat

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

In article <N.060796.213143.16@psln>, Nava Espacial <ke...@psln.com> wrote:
>When it comes to SKA the west coast is the U.S. hot-spot. Anyone who disagrees
>has obviously never heard of The Rudiments, Skankin' Pickle,
>Voodo-Glowskulls,or Sublime (to name a few). Everything else over here might
>suck, but the ska is kickin'!

LA's got some great ska, but those certainly aren't the bands I'd use to prove
it (of course, you said the west coast and pretty much omitted the LA bands,
so that might explain something . . .) how about Hepcat, Los Hooligans, Jump
with Joey, See Spot . . .

Far more impressive set than the ones you've cited.

I still miss New York, though.

cheers!

Kat
--
Katherine Giles "What a rubbish penalty. The only good thing
Schroedinger Cat about it, every time I miss a penalty we win"

MudFish109

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

see

there are a million different awesome ska bands from cali

Mudsharks (reno), reel big fish, no doubt (used to be ska), save ferris,
my superhero, homegrown (no horns), buck o nine, g-spot

Cheeky Princess

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Bob Petersen wrote:

> Mike Bigskank wrote:
> >
> > ke...@psln.com (Nava Espacial) wrote:
> >
> > >When it comes to SKA the west coast is the U.S. hot-spot. Anyone who disagrees

ACTUALLY, I heard that Antarctica has the best ska around...bands like
the Skankin Penguins....Igloos 7 and even the Skabergs...
"We're better than you are, na, nanny boo boo..." how juvenile can this
group get?

Cheeky Princess Knucklehead

Christopher Nathaniel Schatz

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <4pqbjt$l...@clark.zippo.com>,
Mike Bigskank <bigs...@ns1.tlk.net> wrote:
>Okay...i live on the west coast..in fact, i live in a very secluded
>area. BUT, i am not DEPRIVED or UNEDUCATED, or IGNORANT. There are
>hell a cool ska groups out here. Just because we dont have TOASTERS
>and SKATALITES and SCOFFLAWS that any name dropper can rattle off,
>does not equal your later statement. Rambling is probably all your
>capable of doing with asinine comments like yours. Punch The Clown is
>a GREAT group, Mudsharks have some of the most original sounds, and
>are one of the best live acts to be seen. Skankin Pickle may not be
>"roots" ska, but they still are amazing. There are lots of great
>bands forming up around the bay area such as Slow Gherkin and
>Blindspot. IN Eugene Or, there is a great new group now known as the
>Skandals. Seattle has a growing scene, as does southern CA.

Sorry to burst your bubble Mike, but the Eugene band is the Scandals (with a
"c"). There's a Seattle band called the Skandals (with a "k"). And talking
about West coast bands... No one mentioned (at least I don't think anyone did)
The Conspiracy (from Southern CA) or Easy Big Fella (from Seattle).

Later.
Chris.

Mike Bigskank

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

mobi...@aol.com (MobilRich) wrote:

>Your out of your fuckin mind!! DUDE!!!Yeah I was in California for a few
>years, but I am dam Native New Yorker. Yeah, you got those crappy
>commericial succes with those skacore bands:Sublime, Buck O Nine-
> But you will always be in the shawdow of New York: the Big Apple, the
>NYC a city of immigrants from all over the world, not just Asians and
>Hispanics, but Eastern Europeans to Jamaicans! This is the home of The
>Skatalites, The Toasters, the Scofflaws, The Slackers, and for those not
>into roots ska Mephiskapeles. Sure, I could go on and ramble, but in the
>end "NYC SKA is the place to be!!!!
> But sorry you are deprived, uneducated, and just plain ignorant.!
Okay...i live on the west coast..in fact, i live in a very secluded
area. BUT, i am not DEPRIVED or UNEDUCATED, or IGNORANT. There are
hell a cool ska groups out here. Just because we dont have TOASTERS
and SKATALITES and SCOFFLAWS that any name dropper can rattle off,
does not equal your later statement. Rambling is probably all your
capable of doing with asinine comments like yours. Punch The Clown is
a GREAT group, Mudsharks have some of the most original sounds, and
are one of the best live acts to be seen. Skankin Pickle may not be
"roots" ska, but they still are amazing. There are lots of great
bands forming up around the bay area such as Slow Gherkin and
Blindspot. IN Eugene Or, there is a great new group now known as the
Skandals. Seattle has a growing scene, as does southern CA.

Basically, you are the UNEDUCATED, and IGNORANT! Im not gonna say
your deprived due to the fact you do live alot closer to some really
great ska groups....but in no way does that make you any better.

Mike

Julie Della Maggiora

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

In article <31BF62...@cruzio.com>, Bob Petersen <brm...@cruzio.com> wrote:

> Mike Bigskank wrote:
> >
> > ke...@psln.com (Nava Espacial) wrote:
> >
> > >When it comes to SKA the west coast is the U.S. hot-spot. Anyone who
disagrees

> > >has obviously never heard of The Rudiments, Skankin' Pickle,
> > >Voodo-Glowskulls,or Sublime (to name a few). Everything else over
here might
> > >suck, but the ska is kickin'!

> > > Wade
> > >--
> > Ummm....im from California...and we have some GOOD ska bands, but, not
> > all the good ones. WE are seriously lacking in alot of GREAT talents
> > all over the US. Also, i myslef wouldnt add Sublime to a ska listing
> > of CA talent, wouldnt want to degrade ska in any way.
> >
> > Mikewest coast ska rules.northern is insane!slow gherkin are the
> best and punch the clown!

What about bands like Let's Go Bowling, The Skeletones, and Buck 0
Nine? I've seen all of them in concert, and they were grrrreeeeaaat! Go
CA!
-Arielle

Mike Bigskank

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

csc...@gladstone.uoregon.edu (Christopher Nathaniel Schatz) wrote:

>In article <4pqbjt$l...@clark.zippo.com>,
>Mike Bigskank <bigs...@ns1.tlk.net> wrote:

>>mobi...@aol.com (MobilRich) wrote:
>>
>>>Your out of your fuckin mind!! DUDE!!!Yeah I was in California for a few
>>>years, but I am dam Native New Yorker. Yeah, you got those crappy
>>>commericial succes with those skacore bands:Sublime, Buck O Nine-
>>> But you will always be in the shawdow of New York: the Big Apple, the
>>>NYC a city of immigrants from all over the world, not just Asians and
>>>Hispanics, but Eastern Europeans to Jamaicans! This is the home of The
>>>Skatalites, The Toasters, the Scofflaws, The Slackers, and for those not
>>>into roots ska Mephiskapeles. Sure, I could go on and ramble, but in the
>>>end "NYC SKA is the place to be!!!!

This is BIGSKANK. My name is Mike Babich. I did not write that piece
of garbage above.

Andrew Pierce

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

bigs...@ns1.tlk.net (Mike Bigskank) wrote:

> BUT, i am not DEPRIVED or UNEDUCATED, or IGNORANT. There are
>hell a cool ska groups out here. Just because we dont have TOASTERS

It's spelled "hella" - one word, damn it!

Garp

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:07:49 GMT, bigs...@ns1.tlk.net (Mike Bigskank)
wrote:

>mobi...@aol.com (MobilRich) wrote:
>
>>Your out of your fuckin mind!! DUDE!!!Yeah I was in California for a few
>>years, but I am dam Native New Yorker. Yeah, you got those crappy
>>commericial succes with those skacore bands:Sublime, Buck O Nine-
>> But you will always be in the shawdow of New York: the Big Apple, the
>>NYC a city of immigrants from all over the world, not just Asians and
>>Hispanics, but Eastern Europeans to Jamaicans! This is the home of The
>>Skatalites, The Toasters, the Scofflaws, The Slackers, and for those not
>>into roots ska Mephiskapeles. Sure, I could go on and ramble, but in the
>>end "NYC SKA is the place to be!!!!

>> But sorry you are deprived, uneducated, and just plain ignorant.!
>Okay...i live on the west coast..in fact, i live in a very secluded

>area. BUT, i am not DEPRIVED or UNEDUCATED, or IGNORANT. There are

>hell a cool ska groups out here. Just because we dont have TOASTERS

>and SKATALITES and SCOFFLAWS that any name dropper can rattle off,
>does not equal your later statement. Rambling is probably all your
>capable of doing with asinine comments like yours. Punch The Clown is
>a GREAT group, Mudsharks have some of the most original sounds, and
>are one of the best live acts to be seen. Skankin Pickle may not be
>"roots" ska, but they still are amazing. There are lots of great
>bands forming up around the bay area such as Slow Gherkin and
>Blindspot. IN Eugene Or, there is a great new group now known as the
>Skandals. Seattle has a growing scene, as does southern CA.
>Basically, you are the UNEDUCATED, and IGNORANT! Im not gonna say
>your deprived due to the fact you do live alot closer to some really
>great ska groups....but in no way does that make you any better.
>
>Mike

PUNCH THE FUCKEN CLOWN! Wo. Umm ooooo--k.
I have to agree with Mike. The West coast has smokin-kick-ass ska
bands. They just don't go up to Victoria enough.

-Matt

"Forget your strife you better skank for your life!"

Shallana Edwards

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Mike Bigskank wrote:

> csc...@gladstone.uoregon.edu (Christopher Nathaniel Schatz) wrote:
>
> >In article <4pqbjt$l...@clark.zippo.com>,
> >Mike Bigskank <bigs...@ns1.tlk.net> wrote:

we can ramble on and on about which is better...east or west ska...though the
east coast does have some prety good ska bands...and yes us Californians have
those many commericial ska-core bands...but u forget that we have one of the
best bands in ska...HEPCAT...need I say more...hey we also have Mobtown,
Yeska, See Spot, Los Hooligans, Unsteady, Jump with Joey, The Skeletones,
Let's Go Bowling, Ocean Eleven, just to name a few...most of the commericial
success goes mainly to Orange County...but L.A. ska still remains traditional
and underground.
-Shallana

Alex/Avenging Disco!

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In <31c47e67...@news.intertrek.com> mbi...@intertrek.com (Garp)
writes:

>On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 00:07:49 GMT, bigs...@ns1.tlk.net (Mike Bigskank)
>wrote:
>
>>mobi...@aol.com (MobilRich) wrote:
>>
>>>Your out of your fuckin mind!! DUDE!!!Yeah I was in California for a
few
>>>years, but I am dam Native New Yorker. Yeah, you got those crappy
>>>commericial succes with those skacore bands:Sublime, Buck O Nine-
>>> But you will always be in the shawdow of New York: the Big Apple,
the
>>>NYC a city of immigrants from all over the world, not just Asians
and
>>>Hispanics, but Eastern Europeans to Jamaicans! This is the home of
The
>>>Skatalites, The Toasters, the Scofflaws, The Slackers, and for those
not
>>>into roots ska Mephiskapeles. Sure, I could go on and ramble, but
in the
>>>end "NYC SKA is the place to be!!!!
>>> But sorry you are deprived, uneducated, and just plain
ignorant.!
>>Okay...i live on the west coast..in fact, i live in a very secluded
>>area. BUT, i am not DEPRIVED or UNEDUCATED, or IGNORANT. There are
>>hell a cool ska groups out here. Just because we dont have TOASTERS
>>and SKATALITES and SCOFFLAWS that any name dropper can rattle off,
>>does not equal your later statement. Rambling is probably all your
>>capable of doing with asinine comments like yours. Punch The Clown
is
>>a GREAT group, Mudsharks have some of the most original sounds, and
>>are one of the best live acts to be seen. Skankin Pickle may not be
>>"roots" ska, but they still are amazing. There are lots of great
>>bands forming up around the bay area such as Slow Gherkin and
>>Blindspot. IN Eugene Or, there is a great new group now known as the
>>Skandals. Seattle has a growing scene, as does southern CA.
>>Basically, you are the UNEDUCATED, and IGNORANT! Im not gonna say
>>your deprived due to the fact you do live alot closer to some really
>>great ska groups....but in no way does that make you any better.
>>
>>Mike
>>
>PUNCH THE FUCKEN CLOWN! Wo. Umm ooooo--k.
>I have to agree with Mike. The West coast has smokin-kick-ass ska
>bands. They just don't go up to Victoria enough.
>
>-Matt
>
>"Forget your strife you better skank for your life!"

Fuck both coasts. The midwest kicks everybody's ass. Slapstick,
MU330, Gangster Fun, The Invaders, The Parka Kings, Mustard Plug,
Suicide Machines, Weaker Youth Ensemble...I could go on for days...

alex

Chris Livingston

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

well apparently you all have not heard of any utah ska bands. they may
not be big or anything, but if you were to go to a show here, you would
be amazed at their playing ability, and ingenuity. ever heard of Model
Citizen, Mr. Goon, Insatiable, you may have heard of Stretsch "Armstrong"
Magnifico.
-
CHRIS LIVINGSTON RAZ...@prodigy.com
MARK LIVINGSTON
SCOTT LIVINGSTON

Kate Sherrod

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

[...]

I must concur with the above, and make two important additions: Hepcat
(CA) and the Cherry Poppin' Daddies (OR). Actually, I'm QUITE suprised
not to see any mention of Hepcat in the above. Must be an accidental
oversight.

(And yes, I know you might not consider CPD to be ska qua ska, but they
can definitely play it, and put on a show that delivers everything a ska
fan could ask for, plus a little bit more)

I live in Boston, discoverd ska in Boston, associate heavily with the
enitre Boston ska scene, and still find that west coast bands suit me
better. West coast ska seems to be easier-going, more lighthearted, and
more diverse (especially ethnically -- Hepcat has one white guy. Granted,
he's about as white as they come!, but still... compare the Scofflaws
roster, the Allstonians, etc...). It doesn't have the sardonic, almost
nasty edge that East Coast ska can have. The humor is not so constantly
at someone's expense, etc.

OK, I am basing most of this on Hepcat, whom I just saw twice over the
weekend, but DAMN. Hepcat is everything that I love about ska.

Sigh.

Pigbat

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

BLASPHEME! How can you mention Utah ska without saying anything about
the Shriners?!?! They are (were) the best Utah band, with Model Citizen
coming in a close second. I'm ashamed to have Mr. Goon known as a Utah
ska band. Can you say the Mighty Might AquaPickles?
--the Pigbat

Pigbat

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Shallana Edwards wrote:

> Mike Bigskank wrote:
> >
> > csc...@gladstone.uoregon.edu (Christopher Nathaniel Schatz) wrote:

> we can ramble on and on about which is better...east or west ska...though the
> east coast does have some prety good ska bands...and yes us Californians have
> those many commericial ska-core bands...but u forget that we have one of the
> best bands in ska...HEPCAT...need I say more...hey we also have Mobtown,
> Yeska, See Spot, Los Hooligans, Unsteady, Jump with Joey, The Skeletones,
> Let's Go Bowling, Ocean Eleven, just to name a few...most of the commericial
> success goes mainly to Orange County...but L.A. ska still remains traditional
> and underground.
> -Shallana

CALIFORNIA KNOWS HOW TO PARTY!
--The Pigbat

jim mcguire

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

howz about let's go bowling, hepcat, los hooligans, yeska, mento buru,
(and my favorite) MOBTOWN!!!

MAS737

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

sure every one loves the sceene in their area but you can't argue with the
JUMP UP! shirts that say "MIDWEST RULES SKA" no matter what you say all
other areas come in second to the midwest!!

MobilRich

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Sorry to bus your bubble but NEW YORK RULES!!!!!

LumberButt

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Weaker Youth Ensemble broke up
a long time ago.

LumberButt

"Your supressing rage, Mother Fucker"

"What might seem dumb to YOU, is pounding in MY heart."

"Ever ask yourself wheres my place in this hell? But no ones there to
tell you because they don't know that themselves."

Edward Morris

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

Well you've obviously never left home.

MobilRich

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

WRONG!! EAST COAST NYC RULES! IF WAS"NT FOR NY MOST OF TODAY"S SCENES
WOULDN"T EXIST!!.

Scott Neves

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

Pigbat (pig...@utah-inter.net) wrote:

I miss the Shriners. BOY do I miss the Shriners. Nobody in Utah comes
close. Dangit, I want to buy their CD Right Now. They could be the
Hepcat of Utah. We'll just have to wait until they all get back from
preaching Jesus, won't we...

And just because the mix of Mr. Goon's really sucked until the last song
for the Hepcat gig doesn't mean that they might not one day be good.
They really need to lose at least one of their three guitars, 'tho...blecch.

Utah Scott
(Proud to be a Mormon skafan)
scott...@m.cc.utah.edu

Edward Morris

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

In <4qjubl$f...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> mobi...@aol.com (MobilRich)
writes:

>WRONG!! EAST COAST NYC RULES! IF WAS"NT FOR NY MOST OF TODAY"S SCENES
>WOULDN"T EXIST!!.

The L.A. scene became big during the 2 Tone era. There was a huge
mod scene in those days. This lead to the popularity of Fishbone and
the Untouchables back when they played decent music. I think very few
people b
ack then were influenced at all by what was going on in NY. L.A. has
had a decent underground scene ever since.

The most important contribution of the L.A. scene is the
traditional revival. Jump With Joey were doing ska right years before
anyone in NY. There were a dozen bands from L.A. playing traditional
ska long before The
Stubborn bands or the others from NY. And please don't tell me how
long the Scofflaws have been playing because we all know what they
sound like.

NYC is cool, but let's keep a proper prospective.

Respect.
----Ted
E:ST

MAS737

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

ny ska doesn't matter at all only tho homeland jamacais responsible for
ska (duh)

Karl Schmidt

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

lumbe...@aol.com (LumberButt) wrote:

>Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but Weaker Youth Ensemble broke up
>a long time ago.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the Invaders are still
together.

_____________________

"Sometimes I try to do things and they just don't turn out the way I want them to."

Toobs

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96
to Scott Neves

The Shrinners were the best band that came out from Utah. Yeah, I hear you.
Maybe after their missions they will get back together.
--
Toobs
<=-=;)*

bcste...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2018, 5:26:01 PM7/1/18
On Monday, June 17, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Pigbat wrote:
> Chris Livingston wrote:
> >
> > well apparently you all have not heard of any utah ska bands. they may
> > not be big or anything, but if you were to go to a show here, you would
> > be amazed at their playing ability, and ingenuity. ever heard of Model
> > Citizen, Mr. Goon, Insatiable, you may have heard of Stretsch "Armstrong"
> > Magnifico.
> > -
> > CHRIS LIVINGSTON RAZ...@prodigy.com
> > MARK LIVINGSTON
> > SCOTT LIVINGSTON
>
> BLASPHEME! How can you mention Utah ska without saying anything about
> the Shriners?!?! They are (were) the best Utah band, with Model Citizen
> coming in a close second. I'm ashamed to have Mr. Goon known as a Utah
> ska band. Can you say the Mighty Might AquaPickles?
> --the Pigbat

Dear Mr. Pigbat,

I'm trying to preserve the media and culture of Utah Ska. Did Mr. Goon have any physical releases?