SYMARIP, Derrick Morgan, Sam And Dave.

Marcus

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
OK, this discussion is long over, but I never got around to finishing this.

The sam and Dave song, that moon hop and skinhead moonstomp is based on is I
thank you. Its Availible on Their 2CD Sweat And Soul Anthology on Rhino
Records.

Also, I want to defend Symarip, quickly. Yes, they were a studio band hired
just to take prevent Moonhop from being a hit. But why the change in name,
everyone is acting like its some big shit,a nd if the skins found out it was
actually Symarip then they wouldn't buy it. The Pyramids weren't some no name
band, they had a top 50 hit. And so what if they were a studioband. The
Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band, The Hot Rod
Allstars were a Studio Band, The Skatalits were a studio band, that's a deep
shit. Not to mention the factthat they DID gig, so tehy weren't solely a
studio band.

Yes, it was Assholish for them to rip off Dertick morgan, who in my opinion,
was a much bettr musician, and probably cared more about the skins(if that
matters to anyone). However, they were just a tool. IT was probably Lee
Gopthal or Duke Reid's idea. I mean, that's how it worked. They say, "Make a
skinhead Song Ripping off Moonhop" and half an hour later they did it. I mean
no one knocks Laurel Aitken for Ripping Off the Ethiopian's Train To SKaville
bassline for Skinhead Train(and now, when he tours he uses the horns too). I
mean, I would be suprised if Symarip got 100 pounds for recording it. And I'm
almost positive they didn't get shit from all the covers, and reissues.

Any Thoughts??
Marcus
Pounding The Pavement Zine Distro and Mailorder
Ska Soul Reggae and some other stuff to keep it ecclectic
http://members.aol.com/ptpzine/index.html
ptp...@aol.com

Andrew J. Bauer

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
Marcus wrote in message <19990918094750...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...

>band, they had a top 50 hit. And so what if they were a studioband. The
>Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band, The Hot
Rod
>Allstars were a Studio Band, The Skatalits were a studio band, that's a
deep
>shit. Not to mention the factthat they DID gig, so tehy weren't solely a
>studio band.

So.... You're trying to say that the Upsetters never played gigs? You're
wrong.

Andrew

Marcus

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

>>Yes, they were a studio band hired
>>just to take prevent Moonhop from being a hit
>
>Really? Never heard that before.

I read this in Spirit of 69(which I don't own, and I looked at the copy like 6
months ago, so my memory is a bit spotty). And its that, Bunny Lee liscenced
Morgan's Seven Letters to Pama, and Trojan, and Trojan got mad, so right after
Moonhop was about to be a hit, they rush released, SKinhead Moonstomp, which
took away sales, from Moonhop.

And as we all know, after the specials covered Moonstomp, it became a well
reguarded classic, and moonhop has all but been forgotten.

>>And so what if they were a studioband. The

>>Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band.....
>
>Who else did they back besides their own sides? I never heard of them being
>studio band.

My bad, they were not, Again, I'm taking this from an accusation made in Spirit
of 69. not from anyone in this book, I guess Klaus, however got a good ammount
of his info from ST publishing. MY point is that you can't bash a band for
being a studio band, when many of the greats were

>>no one knocks Laurel Aitken for Ripping Off the Ethiopian's Train To
>SKaville
>>bassline for Skinhead Train
>

>I do. Laurel Aitken didn't do anything original after the the early 60's
>IMO.
>But of course I hate the UK-sound reggae.

Well, I beg to differ. But like you said, its just a matter of opinion, so no
need to argue

Marcus

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

>So.... You're trying to say that the Upsetters never played gigs? You're
>wrong.

No, I'm not trying to say that. I'm well aware of that fact. However they
were a studio band. And anyway, The source I found that symarip weren' t a
studio band, was in an old zoot, where they had some add for a from an old
zoot, where they showed some concert llisting that said

Simaryp(sic)
(skinhead moonhop)(sic)
Upsetters
(Return To Django)(sic)

Boy I wrote (sic) a lot

netweasel

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
Do you have a Pyramids CD? It's almost like instrumental soul/surf rock.
It's actually pretty good.
Marcus <ptp...@aol.communazi> wrote in message

> OK, this discussion is long over, but I never got around to finishing
this.

> The sam and Dave song, that moon hop and skinhead moonstomp is based on is
> thank you. Its Availible on Their 2CD Sweat And Soul Anthology on Rhino
> Records.
>
> Also, I want to defend Symarip, quickly. Yes, they were a studio band
hired

> just to take prevent Moonhop from being a hit. But why the change in
name,
> everyone is acting like its some big shit,a nd if the skins found out it
was
> actually Symarip then they wouldn't buy it. The Pyramids weren't some no
name
> band, they had a top 50 hit. And so what if they were a studioband. The
> Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band, The Hot
Rod
> Allstars were a Studio Band, The Skatalits were a studio band, that's a
deep
> shit. Not to mention the factthat they DID gig, so tehy weren't solely a
> studio band.
>
> Yes, it was Assholish for them to rip off Dertick morgan, who in my
opinion,
> was a much bettr musician, and probably cared more about the skins(if that
> matters to anyone). However, they were just a tool. IT was probably Lee
> Gopthal or Duke Reid's idea. I mean, that's how it worked. They say,
"Make a
> skinhead Song Ripping off Moonhop" and half an hour later they did it. I
mean
> no one knocks Laurel Aitken for Ripping Off the Ethiopian's Train To
SKaville
> bassline for Skinhead Train(and now, when he tours he uses the horns too).
> mean, I would be suprised if Symarip got 100 pounds for recording it. And
I'm
> almost positive they didn't get shit from all the covers, and reissues.
>
> Any Thoughts??

Andrew J. Bauer

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

Kyle wrote in message <19990918141645...@ng-bg1.aol.com>...

>>And so what if they were a studioband. The
>>Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band.....
>
>Who else did they back besides their own sides? I never heard of them
being a
>studio band.

BTW, Hippy Boys and Upsetters are the same band, but with Winston Wright (or
Glen Adams, depending) on organ instead of Lloyd Charmers.

They were also the Bunny Lee All Stars while recording for Striker Lee.
During that time they backed:

Lester Sterling
Ken Parker
John Holt
Pat Kelly
Max Romero
(Dunno about any others)

Andrew

Marcus

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99

>Do you have a Pyramids CD? It's almost like instrumental soul/surf rock.
>It's actually pretty good.

No, I owned one 7",mexican moonlight, it was OK. It was on President, which
was mainly a soul label

Andrew J. Bauer

Sep 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/18/99
...And when did I say anything about timelines?

I merely stated that the Upsetters were the same players as the Hippy Boys,
except that Winston Wright and Glen Adams played instead of Lloyd Charmers.
All your post did was say the exact same thing I did, but imply I made some
sort of chronological error.

Andrew

Kyle wrote in message <19990918191010...@ng-fq1.aol.com>...

>>BTW, Hippy Boys and Upsetters are the same band, but with Winston Wright
(or
>>Glen Adams, depending) on organ instead of Lloyd Charmers.
>>

>Actually, Glen Adams and Winston Wright both were in the first Upsetters
>recordings (aka Gladdy's All Stars). Most of the members of the Hippy Boys
>were recruited later and became the Upsetters when recording for Lee Perry.
>
>Peace,
>
>Kyle
>
>hometown.aol.com/drbassie/index.html
>
>Remove the "ma" in address to reply

Kyle

Sep 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/19/99
>...And when did I say anything about timelines?
>
>I merely stated that the Upsetters were the same players as the Hippy Boys,
>except that Winston Wright and Glen Adams played instead of Lloyd Charmers.
>All your post did was say the exact same thing I did, but imply I made some
>sort of chronological error.

What I was saying is that when the Hippy Boys took the pseudonym "The
Upsetters" Gladdy and Winston Wright wasn't part of it. Winston was w/
Gladdy's All-Stars. I wasn't too specific as to what my point was, sorry.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

wewant...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 9:46:18 PM7/4/18
On Saturday, September 18, 1999 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+12, Marcus wrote:
> OK, this discussion is long over, but I never got around to finishing this.
>
> The sam and Dave song, that moon hop and skinhead moonstomp is based on is I
> thank you. Its Availible on Their 2CD Sweat And Soul Anthology on Rhino
> Records.
>
> Also, I want to defend Symarip, quickly. Yes, they were a studio band hired
> just to take prevent Moonhop from being a hit. But why the change in name,
> everyone is acting like its some big shit,a nd if the skins found out it was
> actually Symarip then they wouldn't buy it. The Pyramids weren't some no name
> band, they had a top 50 hit. And so what if they were a studioband. The
> Upsetters were a Studio Band, The Hippy Boys were a Studio Band, The Hot Rod
> Allstars were a Studio Band, The Skatalits were a studio band, that's a deep
> shit. Not to mention the factthat they DID gig, so tehy weren't solely a
> studio band.
>
> Yes, it was Assholish for them to rip off Dertick morgan, who in my opinion,
> was a much bettr musician, and probably cared more about the skins(if that
> matters to anyone). However, they were just a tool. IT was probably Lee
> Gopthal or Duke Reid's idea. I mean, that's how it worked. They say, "Make a
> skinhead Song Ripping off Moonhop" and half an hour later they did it. I mean
> no one knocks Laurel Aitken for Ripping Off the Ethiopian's Train To SKaville
> bassline for Skinhead Train(and now, when he tours he uses the horns too). I
> mean, I would be suprised if Symarip got 100 pounds for recording it. And I'm
> almost positive they didn't get shit from all the covers, and reissues.
>
> Any Thoughts??

wewant...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2018, 9:50:00 PM7/4/18
who cares if they were studio group. i live in a dead end town with no chance of getting such music live so all power to those who lay down some tracks for the likes of us, they put their lives into it and i love them for it.