Minna Tanoshiku

jennt...@aol.com

May 5, 2007, 1:54:26 PM5/5/07

Kevin

May 9, 2007, 11:54:06 PM5/9/07
In article <1178387666.5...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
jennt...@aol.com wrote:

> http://www.trapperjennmd.org/2007/05/shonen-knife-minna-tanoshiku-and.html

Absolutely amazing. I am so glad I came to check the group.

Thanks.

Though I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt for getting into
something I wasn't told I could. I'm hoping an adoring fan is allowed a
bit of forgiveness for his bit of selfishness.

Kevin

--
Unless you were there you don't really know.

Message has been deleted

Douglas North

May 10, 2007, 7:08:14 PM5/10/07
Whoa. This is freaking amazing. A gazillion thanks to Trapper Jenn for
having the wherewithal to find these tracks and share them with all of
us.

Indeed, I haven't checked the NG for a few months now. There never seems
to be anything going on. I just did a Google search for "Minna
Tanoshiku" because I was bored the other day. I do it every few
weeks/months... just to see if there was another copy available for sale
(hopefully for less than the $632 offer on GEMM) and noticed a brand new
link... to Jenn's blog. I still didn't believe it until after I had
listened to the whole thing. Incredible. Now the "Rock of Japan" guy can
keep his little private treasure to himself without worry of being
bothered... though it is a bit less "private" now. :)

I'm surprised that more people haven't chimed in about this...
especially some of the "old timers". Maybe, like me, they assume nothing
is happening in Knife land. Interest in all things Knife seems to have
ground down to an all-time low. Even during the dark post-Virgin,
pre-Big DeaI remember the gnashing and frothing Jenn describes in her
blog... I was one of them! Where is Carl, Ojisan, etc... we need to
celebrate this! To me, this is the most exciting Knife development since
"Strawberry Sound" came out. "SS" seemed like a fresh beginning, a
reboot if you will. SK v.2. I even enjoyed the little synthesizer
experiments which everyone else seemed to hate.

"Heavy Songs" was half of a good album. Some of the spirit of the old SK
remained alive, and Atsuko stole the album with her sublime "Whatever".
Naoko still doing some interesting stuff like the scary "Computer
Language", and more mature themed songs like "Golden Age" and the title
track. But much of the album was very "same-y".

To be perfectly blunt: "Genki Shock" had two or three good songs on it.
The rest of the album sounds like Naoko doing a bad parody of SK. And as
a person who almost never says anything negative about the group... you
don't know how much it pains me to admit that.

Michie left, which most of us were able to get over, but now with SK
being basically a Naoko solo-project with backing musicians (no offense
to the two new "-tsukos": Etsuko and Rittsuko), I was starting to think
Shonen Knife as a band was officially dead.

"Minna Tanoshiku" reminds me of why I loved and still love SK so much
and gives me some renewed hope, however little, for the future.

And as a little tangential bitching: can I just say how infuriating I
find it that the so-called "Best of" the major label years... "Golden
Best" or whatever it is... has almost no representation of Michie
whatsoever?? "Cycling is Fun" is the only song written and sung by
Michie on the entire compilation. There is "Cherry Bomb" (cover sung by
Michie) and two Michie-written tracks sung by Atsuko. Where in the hell
is "Butterfly Boy", "The Perfect World", "Catch Your Bus", "Jackalope",
"Fish Eyes", or for that matter "Frogphobia"?

This reminds me of Fleetwood Mac compilations that completely fail to
recognise the contributions of Bob Welch and the fact that the band,
with him as chief songwriter, had a few modest hits, toured incessantly
and shaped the band into the "soft rock" mode it would become famous
for. Sure we hear token mention of Peter Green, but then it's straight
to Buckingham/Nicks.

I wonder... if SK ever makes it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....
will Michie be left out like Bob Welch??

A review of "Minna" will follow...

Rick

May 13, 2007, 7:29:40 PM5/13/07
On May 10, 4:08 pm, Pamplemou...@webtv.net (Douglas North) wrote:
> Whoa. This is freaking amazing. A gazillion thanks to Trapper Jenn for
> having the wherewithal to find these tracks and share them with all of
> us.

Yes, many thanks to Jenn.

> Indeed, I haven't checked the NG for a few months now. There never seems
> to be anything going on. I just did a Google search for "Minna
> Tanoshiku" because I was bored the other day. I do it every few
> weeks/months... just to see if there was another copy available for sale
> (hopefully for less than the $632 offer on GEMM) and noticed a brand new
> link... to Jenn's blog. I still didn't believe it until after I had
> listened to the whole thing. Incredible. Now the "Rock of Japan" guy can
> keep his little private treasure to himself without worry of being
> bothered... though it is a bit less "private" now. :)

I can relate. I was always googling and even checking Ebay (as if).
Once I thought I found it on a site called "Tokyo Nights", but the
download didn't work.

[snip of comments about "Strawberry Sound" and "Heavy Songs"]

> To be perfectly blunt: "Genki Shock" had two or three good songs on it.
> The rest of the album sounds like Naoko doing a bad parody of SK. And as
> a person who almost never says anything negative about the group... you
> don't know how much it pains me to admit that.

I had a much different reaction. I like most of "Genki Shock" and
thought "wow, not only are they still recording, but the new material
is interesting and fun to listen to". Hopefully we'll both like the
upcoming new album.

[more snips]

> And as a little tangential bitching: can I just say how infuriating I
> find it that the so-called "Best of" the major label years... "Golden
> Best" or whatever it is... has almost no representation of Michie
> whatsoever?? "Cycling is Fun" is the only song written and sung by
> Michie on the entire compilation. There is "Cherry Bomb" (cover sung by
> Michie) and two Michie-written tracks sung by Atsuko. Where in the hell
> is "Butterfly Boy", "The Perfect World", "Catch Your Bus", "Jackalope",
> "Fish Eyes", or for that matter "Frogphobia"?

I was puzzled by "Golden Best" (or is it "Universal Hits"?). Several
songs I would not have chosen as "best" (e.g., "Milky Way"). Others I
would have saved for a rarities collection for die hard fans (like the
tea commercial song). I agree about expecting more Michie. And how
about some photos?

[snip about Rock and Roll Hall of Fame]

For me Shonen Knife does not need whatever validation is given by
being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. However if it would make
Shonen Knife happy, or if it would lead to a one day appearance by
Michie to say "hi", then I hope they get in.

> A review of "Minna" will follow...

Excellent review (in your other post). The track I'm most listening
to is "Saboten" since it is so much fun (unfortunately it is a little
too catchy and I can't get it out of my head now).

Rick