Osaka, Dec 9, 2006

Rick

Dec 22, 2006, 2:35:02 AM12/22/06
Recently I was on vacation in Japan and got to see Shonen Knife play
their "Space Christmas" show on Dec 9, 2006 at Club Quattro
Shinsaibashi, Osaka. They seemed to be in especially good spirits that
night. Before the show Naoko and Etsuko came on stage to model various
Shonen Knife items (shirt, hat, wristbands, scarf). (The merchandise
table also had a tennis racket, I assume Naoko's, which went early).
The show itself was fantastic. They played with a lot of enthusiasm.
Substitute-bass Ritsuko fits in really well: she's a good singer, is
very energetic, and has a huge smile. The only song that they weren't
all smiling for was "Tomato Head" (presumably to be consistent with the
heavy metal sound; but it must be hard not to smile when you think
about the lyrics).

Here's the setlist (maybe missing one or two, and probably not in
correct order): Konnichiwa, Banana Chips, Top of the World, Lazybone,
Like a Salmon, Insect Collector, Herbs, Golden Years of Rock n Roll,
Spider House, E.S.P., Flying Jelly Attack, Sushi Bar Song, S-P-A-M,
Girls Rock, Map Master, Tomato Head, Riding on the Rocket, Giant Kitty,
(encore) Space Christmas, (encore) Twist Barbie, Cobra versus Mongoose.

The opening group was Eastern Youth. They were well received by the
crowd (I think they alternate with Shonen Knife as headliner). They
did a cool cover of "Concrete Animals".

While in town I followed Naoko's list of things to do in Osaka (eat
takoyaki, go to Shinsaibashi street and Tsutenkaku tower, etc) from her
blog message earlier in the year. Be sure to check out their blogs at
www.shonenknife.net "from members" (Etsuko has another blog at
hamoblo.com/etsuko with additional pictures). It's funny to hear the
"arriving train" jingle at the subway, which Naoko uses at the start of
"Top of the World" (I kept expecting the song to start).

Rick