SK Toronto Show November 27, 2007

snoo...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2007, 12:49:00 PM11/28/07
So I made it to the Toronto show Nov. 27th at Lee's Palace. Opening
acts Verona Grove and
Juliet Dagger were good. Naoko has actually recorded with JD, you can
find it a video of it on Youtube....how cool is it that The Knife is
touring with a "Dagger" band?

Anyways, SK were in fine form.... a very upbeat show(what else) and
they are very tight now, with Etsuko really fitting in now...they were
tighter than when when they did the Gokigen tour.
I managed to snag Naoko's setlist after the show, so here's a rundown
of the tunes:

1. konnichawa
2. Twist barbie
3. Spam
4. Concrete Animals
5. Whatever
6. Anime Phenomenon
7. Spider house
8. Public Bath
9. Fruits & Veggies
10. Sushi bar
11. Cookie Day
12. Ramones Forever
13. Riding The Rocket
14. Explosion
15. Flu
16. Giant Kitty
17. Satisfaction
18. Baka Guy

I was surprised at hearing songs that I haven't seen them do in ten
years. I don't think they've done Fruits or Concrete Animals in
Toronto since 1997 at the latest. It's probably the first show
since '97 where I haven't seen'em do ESP. Hell, Concrete was probably
last done here 1994! So
they really mixed up the set...changing a lot since Heavy Songs and
Gokigen: no Map Master
or Mysterious Drugstore or Golden years Of RocknRoll. Still it was
nice to hear stuff like Public Bath and they did the usual head
banging thing in Giant Kitty. GK is bound to be one of those staples
of their live show.....they tried to get the crowd into it with Naoko
holding the mike out tothe audience during the chorus but I don't
think a lot of people knew the tune! I can't remember if Genki Shock
was out on the last tour.

I gotta say they played well and the audience seemed into it. It was a
really frickin cold nightwhich Naoko commented on several times. They
did a cover of Satisfaction which I thought unusual for SK....they
covered it well, but I've heard it a million times and only Devo and
The Residents have truly pummeled this overplayed tune the way it
deserves. I'd've loved hear'em doTop Of The World again: I've never
seen'em do it with Etsuko on drums(they did it here with Mana in
2003). They probably are tired of playing that one.

They signed a lot of autographs afterwards at the merch table where
they were selling pretty well every CD they've done. I'm blown away
with how patient they are with fans; they probably spent a good half
hour talking with fans and posing for pictures with them etc. I
managed to grab a few T-Shirts but forgot to buy the english version
of Genki. I did get them to sign the Japanese version which I'd bought
from HMV Japan. Atsuko was surprised that someone would buy theirCD's
from overseas. I don't think they are aware that many of us do this.
All in all a very good show. I hope they come back soon.

Tom