Bob Mover-Unsung Alto Sax Giant !!

TEP251Sax

Nov 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/6/99
Hey folks- here is a player who is a unsung giant. Everyone should know of his
work. Check it out and enjoy- Tim Price

BOB MOVER
Born on March 22, 1952 in Boston, Massachusetts, Bob Mover started playing the
alto saxophone at age 13. Two years later, Phil Woods heard him in a high
school All Star band in Miami, Florida and gave him a scholarship to study with
him that summer in New Hope, Pennsylvania at Ramblerny Camp for the Performing
Arts.
While still in his teens, Bob sat in and learned from such luminaries as Roy
Eldridge, Wynton Kelly, Zoot Sims, Kenny Dorham, James Moody, Jimmy Rushing,
Anita O'Day, Richie Kamuca and others. While establishing important friendships
with Lee Konitz, Sonny Rollins and Ira Sullivan.
At the age of 21, Mover joined The Charles Mingus Jazz Workshop for a stay of
five months at the Five Spot in New York City. He then joined the group of Chet
Baker for 9 months before leaving for Brazil in 1974 where he stayed six
months, working with samba legends Johnny Alfand and Lucio Alves.
Upon returning to New York he rejoined Baker for 11 months in 1975, working
regularly in New York clubs, as well as performing at Carnegie Hall and
Avery Fisher Hall, touring the mid-west and California and making his first
European appearances with Chet Baker at La Grande Parade du Jazz (Nice,
France), Jazz Festival Laren (Holland) and the Middleheim Jazz Festival
(Antwerp, Belgium). A videotape of this last concert is still being shown on
European television.
Following this stint with Baker he continued to be active, leading his own
groups frequently at New York's Sweet Basil, Stryker's Pub, Barbara's and
Boomer's. He recorded his first two albums as a leader - On the Move(Choice)
and Bob Mover (Vanguard) - the latter receiving a 4 1/2 stars review in
Downbeat Magazine. During this period, Bob also co-led a group with one of his
mentors, Lee Konitz, playing concerts and clubs in the USA and Canada, and
recording an album, Affinity - The Lee Konitz Quintet (Chiaroscuro) which also
received 4 1/2 stars in Downbeat.
In 1980-81 Bob taught improvisation workshops at Berklee College of Music in
Boston before getting a call from Chet Baker to do another tour of Europe.
This tour wielded three albums - Chet Baker Live at Clubs Salt Peanuts Köln
Volumes 1, 2 & 3 (Circle).
Back in New York in 1981 and 1982 Bob recorded two more records under his own
name for Don Schlittens' Xanadu label, In the True Tradition and Things Unseen
- which received glowing reviews throughout the world. He toured
Europe again in 1982 with Swiss vocalist Miriam Klein in a group that included
the great Kenny Clarke and Sir Roland Hanna on piano.
From 1983 to 1986 Mover resided in Montreal, where he taught at Concordia
University while remaining active in North America and recording his 5th album
as a leader - The Nightbathers (Justin' Time) with Paul Bley and John
Abercrombie. In November of '83 he became the proud father of a daughter,
Emilie Joy.
Returning to New York in early 1987, Mover formed a musical partnership with
his long-time friend, Walter Davis Jr., a protege of Bud Powell and Thelonious
Monk and a veteran of groups led by Charlie Parker, Art Blakey, Max Roach,
Sonny Rollins, Jackie McLean and others. Combining their talents Davis/Mover
toured together in Europe and America playing festivals and concerts in France,
Italy, Switzerland, Holland, the U.S. and at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 1989
(with Richard Davis and the late Freddie
Waits) until Davis' untimely death in 1990. During this period Davis
featured Mover on four tracks of his CD, Illumination, recorded for the
Japanese label Pony Canyon/Jazz City Series in 1988, with Ron Carter and Kenny
Washington. Mover also recorded his own CD, You Go To My Head, for the same
label in December of that year featuring Rufus Reid, Bennie Green, Victor Lewis
and
Steve Hall.
1989 brought Bob to Osaka, Japan, to perform at Expo '89. In June of that year
he was invited to participate in the "Alto Summit" homage to CharlieParker
concert at La Villette in Paris along with Jackie McLean, Phil Woods, Clarence
"C" Sharpe, Vincent Herring and Frank Morgan (with a rhythm section
consisting of Walter Davis Jr., Percy Heath, and Roy Haynes). He also
performed a concert/lecture/dinner music series on the music and lives of
Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins at the McMichael Gallery of
Art, in Kleinberg, Ontario.
In 1990-91 Mover continued his activities, touring Europe seven times and
playing engagements in North America as well as giving master classes and
workshops at numerous conservatories and universities.
Bob is currently back in New York City-doing what he does best....Being one of
the cutting edge world class alto saxophonists
of our times.
To my ears- he is one of the true masters..and a beautiful human being. I've
known Bob Mover since 1970 was always knocked out
everytme he put his horn to his lips.

SELECTED DISCOGRAPHY
as leader:
You Go To My Head -Bob Mover Quartet & Quintet, with Rufus Reid, Victor Lewis,
Bennie Green, Steve Hall (Pony Canyon CD)

The Night Bathers - Bob Mover Trio, feat. Paul Bley and John Abercrombie
(Justin' Time Records)

Things Unseen - Solo, duo, trio, quartet and quintet, with Albert Dailey,
Ray Drummond, Rufus Reid, Bobby Ward, Steve Hall (Xanadu Records)

In the True Tradition - Bob Mover Trio with Rufus Reid and Bobby Ward
(Xanadu Records)

Bob Mover - featuring Kenny Barron, Ben Riley, Ron McLure and Claudio Roditi
(Vanguard Records)

On the Move - featuring Tom Harrell, George Mraz, Jay Clayton, Mike Nock,
Jeff Papez and Peter Sprague (Choice Records)

as sideman:
Illumination - Walter Davis Jr. with Ron Carter and Kenny Washington (Pony
Canyon Records)
Chet Baker Live at Club Salt Peanuts Köln Germany, volumes 1,2,3 - with John
Eardly (Circle Records)
The Lee Konitz Quintet Affinity - with Mike Moore, Benny Aranov and Jimmy
Madison (Chiaroscuro Records)
111 Sullivan Street - Yoshiaki Masuo (East Wind Records)
The Lion's Eyes - Steve Holt Sextet (Plug Records)

connosax

Nov 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/7/99
In article <19991106163606...@ng-fl1.aol.com>,

tep2...@aol.com (TEP251Sax) wrote:
> Hey folks- here is a player who is a unsung giant. Everyone should know of his
> work. Check it out and enjoy- Tim Price

Glad you mentioned Ramblerny. I spent 2 summers there, '63-64. Phil
put a lot of young guys on the right track back then.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dave Gilbert

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
This is a little delayed...but

back in the late 80's or early 90's I was in Toronto with a big band
that was making a Canadian tour, and happened into a small club where
someone said there was a jazz group that might be playing that night..
Club was nothing special..seemed like a small quartet setting up ..I
ordered a drink and settled in..not expecting much... cover was only a
couple of bucks. Just a chance to relax and hear someone else play..

THE FIRST PHRASE FROM THE ALTO GUY, STOPPED ME COLD ....MY HEAD NEARLY
SPUN OFF AND MY JAW DROPPED!!!!

I still have never heard a bigger .better tone in my life and I've been
playing reeds forty years. ..NO MIC.. just pure sound.. huge , liquid,
sweet, dark, clear... the alto of my dreams...filled the club....was....

BOB MOVER !!!

Went up and introduced myself on break...seemed like a nice no pretense
kind of guy..Whata sound.. Had family in Toronto and played this joint
when he was there..Got his # and talked about doing a master class for
the horn section..listened like a wide eyed kid for the rest of the
night.

I still relate the story to my students about how a great tone can stop
you dead in your tracks. He had tons of chops......but oh... his
SOUND!!!

still in awe years later,

Dave G

sons...@my-deja.com

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
For those of you who are interested, Bob gives a jazz improv class on
Monday night in Manhattan at One Soul Studio on 31st Street.

NoaH
(who has just gotten the Coltrane changes)

glend...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 9:06:12 PM5/6/20
Bob Mover has a new website, where several of his albums are available to stream. Here is the
link:

http://bobmoverjazz.com

Enjoy!

--Glen Gross, Trumpet and Bob Mover enthusiast.