Yamaha Tenor Sax YTS-62. Is it good to buy?

Alex

Jun 26, 2003, 2:45:32 PM6/26/03
I've read some stuff about Yamahas having soft metal and going out of
adjustment. Is this true?
Are they good out of the box or
do they need a lot of initial setup?
Any information would be helpful.

I m looking to buy the Yamaha Tenor YTS-62.
Is it a wise purchase for someone with a limited budget like me?
I know the Yamaha Custom range of saxophones may be better but too
expensive for me.

Alex
------------

PT

Jun 26, 2003, 3:34:48 PM6/26/03
I think this was in regard to Yamahas many years ago.

--
best regards PT www.petethomas.co.uk

To avoid spam there is no direct reply address

To reply privately please use the "contact" button on my website

"Alex" <em...@kylie.co.uk> wrote in message

richard walker

Jun 26, 2003, 4:40:26 PM6/26/03
Yamahas are excellent saxes!!! I have all Customs,but the
62s are great also. Their action is superb and they are VERY well made
saxes that need very little maintenance. From my 22 years of
experience,RICH

SaxKat

Jun 26, 2003, 5:38:59 PM6/26/03
em...@kylie.co.uk (Alex) wrote in message news:<276d1820.03062...@posting.google.com>...

I don't know who you are getting your information from Alex, but
Yamahas are known for their excellent quality control, and durability.
Their student band instruments are built like tanks, and this
durability carries over to their pro model horns as well. I just
spoke to a pro tenor player, Mark Maxwell, who has been playing a
silver-plated Yamaha Custom tenor every day for well over ten years,
and he said he can't even remember the last time it was in the shop
for an adjustment.

The new YTS-62 Series II is an excellent tenor sax, and I should know,
as I just purchased one. It played well out-of-the-box, but like most
horns that are shipped, needed a minor adjustment (to the G/floating
lever key). It plays so wonderfully for me now, that I just sold my
Selmer Reference 36 tenor. You heard me right. The YTS-62 II
outplayed a Selmer Reference 36 that cost twice as much money. Your
mileage may vary, of course, but Yamaha's new model line is very
impressive indeed. You can't go wrong with the YTS-62.

Bernd

Jun 27, 2003, 12:00:56 AM6/27/03
I think Alwx's comments refer to some 52's and 23's in the 80s.
I know a guy who played a YTS-52 from the early 80's, and the
keys bent pretty easily. As far as I know, though, the 62's
always were excellent horns, and the newer student models
are also good. Yamaha seems to im[prove and learn constantly.

Dexdex

Jun 27, 2003, 5:03:57 AM6/27/03
Alex,
I recently played on a YTS-62 for a couple of days, including 2 gigs, my
regular horn (Selmer Mk-VII) being at the repair shop.
It is a great horn. Yamaha has gained an excellent, if not the best
reputations in terms construction, keywork, setup, finish, etc... I think it
is one of the best horns you can buy in this category. The sound is a bit
"cleaner" than my Selmer, but the horn just lets you do anything. The whole
range comes out easily, from subtone to fortissimo. I was almost unhappy to
give it back, specially as it is so easier to play than the Mk-VII.
Hope it helps db
"Alex" <em...@kylie.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]

Stephen Howard

Jun 27, 2003, 6:17:20 AM6/27/03

The 62 series has never suffered any significant problems with its
build quality.

Out of the box they tend to be rather better than many other leading
makes, but every ( and I mean EVERY ) new horn will benefit from a
professional tweak. If you're very lucky, the shop will have done it
for you ( fat chance these days tho' ).

The Custom range may not necessarily be better - my working tenor is a
25 model, my alto a 62. I have no plans to change.
If you are anything but delighted with the 62 then I'd be very
surprised indeed.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

MrWitworth

Jun 28, 2003, 12:03:21 AM6/28/03
New Yamaha TYS-62 horns sell for under $1,800 in my local music store. That's
$1,000 less than they sold for 2 years ago. The newest ones come with what's
called the G-1 neck which has been associated with some intonation problems. My
recommendation would be to buy a very clean used YTS-62 with the original neck
they came with. I had one for years and it was really very nice. It did not
have the sound of the horn I ultimately bought and kept but the action was
better.

RC

Brian

Jun 28, 2003, 5:30:57 AM6/28/03
I agree totally, but buy a ref54 neck and you'll have both. I got an
immaculate 62 for £500, and a neck for £192, and its the best tenor I've
played, best mechanics, best sound. Not bad for £700?
Brian

"MrWitworth" <mrwit...@aol.com> wrote in message

---

SaxKat

Jun 28, 2003, 6:34:24 PM6/28/03
"Brian" <brian.matth...@NoSpambtopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<bdjn8h$pku$1...@hercules.btinternet.com>...

> I agree totally, but buy a ref54 neck and you'll have both. I got an
> immaculate 62 for £500, and a neck for £192, and its the best tenor I've
> played, best mechanics, best sound. Not bad for £700?
> Brian
>

> "MrWitworth" <mrwit...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > New Yamaha TYS-62 horns sell for under $1,800 in my local music store.
> That's
> > $1,000 less than they sold for 2 years ago. The newest ones come with
> what's
> > called the G-1 neck which has been associated with some intonation
> problems. My
> > recommendation would be to buy a very clean used YTS-62 with the original
> neck
> > they came with. I had one for years and it was really very nice. It did
> not
> > have the sound of the horn I ultimately bought and kept but the action was
> > better.
> >
> > RC

I respectfully disagree RC. I own both an older YTS-62, and a new
YTS-62 II with the new G-1 neck. The old 62 plays great, but the new
62 plays even better. I'd say the intonation is about the same on both
horns, maybe slightly better on the new 62. In short, I see no reason
to avoid the G-1 neck; on the contrary, I like it a lot. It seems to
be more free-blowing, and produces a richer sound, partiularly in the
low register. By the way, before I sold my Reference 36, I tried its
neck on both 62s. I preferred both Yamaha necks to the Reference
neck, but that could be because the prefer the sound of the 62 to the
36.

Jeff

Brian

Jun 29, 2003, 4:53:07 AM6/29/03
Yep depends on what sound you like. The 54 will give you a raspier, fatter,
sound, if you like a more pure sound, stick with the stock neck.
Brian

"SaxKat" <sax...@msn.com> wrote in message

MrWitworth

Jun 29, 2003, 11:42:49 PM6/29/03
To each his own. Having tried all the combinations of necks (Yamaha & Selmer)
on the Yamaha 62 and 875 (and I still own both a Reference 36 neck and a
Reference 54 neck) my experience was that the Selmer necks improved both of the
pre-G-1 neck Yamaha horns I owned. The G-1 neck does make for nice response and
sound on the latest Yamahas, but as much as I hate to be the bearer of bad
news, Yamaha has publicly acknowledged that the G-1 neck (with some 82z tenors)
is somewhat out of tune in the upper part of the horn. I had one and had to
turn it back into the shop for that reason. (Not all of these horns or necks
have this problem, perhaps, just some of them). But, ultimately what matters
most is the individual experience of the person making the horn purchase. If he
or she likes some particular combination, than that's the combination they
should go with. Everything else doesn't matter.

David Beecroft

Jun 30, 2003, 4:21:52 AM6/30/03
I have a really dumb question:

What ever happened to the days when players would look for a horn, try one or ten, possibly like one, buy it and then practice on it until the horn
became a part of them and their music?

The perfect horn and mouthpiece would be so boring to play that I would be tempted after playing it once to say "That is it, perfection! The peak of
my life has been reached. There can be nothing better! I feel sooooo good! There is nothing left to experience! Time to end it all NOW!"

With all due respect to Mr. Witworth, (and I know that you know where I am coming from), I have heard some of the deepest music played on the funkiest
horns. It has been my personal experience that a horn changes a lot when it is played by someone who's life depends upon it.

There is nothing worse than to be out jazzed, out bluesed and out funked by some shabby, poor assed sax player especially when you're standing there
with your shiny new horn...

Have Fun, God Damn it!

David Beecroft

http://www.beecroft.de

TEP251Sax

Jun 30, 2003, 7:25:24 AM6/30/03
>Have Fun, God Damn it!
>
>David Beecroft

AMEN!!!!!

As Mario Rivera sais " Its the Indian...NOT the arrow"...
And Mario plays everything- Saxes,Trumpets,Vibes, Etc- He's a hip indian-
ahhahahahhaha-
HAVE FUN-
I wonder how many of these equipment guys looking,looking ,looking are having
fun? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-

Or just standing around chewing their SlimJim wrappers looking for the next
peice of equipment to go for?hahha-
HAVE FUN ....YEA- Tim Price

Dexdex

Jun 30, 2003, 9:26:45 AM6/30/03
In my case, changing the neck of my Mk7 did exactly that: change a boring,
dull and hated horn to a roaring piece of fun. I don't know if it sounds
"better", but I'm sure it is WAYS more fun to play.
db
"TEP251Sax" <tep2...@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de

Ephrem

Jun 30, 2003, 10:10:13 AM6/30/03
I think it's time to let go of the saw about the 82z's being troubled.
And here's why:

For a period of a few months the new G1 necks on the 82z's *did* have
some notes with troubled intonation in the upper registered. However,
anyone with such a horn is welcome to report it to Yamaha along with a
copy of your purchase receipt and the serial of the horn (even if not
purchased from an authorized dealer). What you get in return is the
new G1 neck *without* the intonation problems. It took about 4 or 5
weeks from the time I originally contacted them before I received the
new neck. The tone and free-blowing quality of the horn has not
changed. All that's changed is the intonation. With the replacement
neck the intonation is actually quite good.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 82z to prospective buyers. As
with most thing, a little patience pays off.

Ephrem

Mark Bushaw

Jun 30, 2003, 11:32:24 AM6/30/03
Tim, didn't I just read that you changed to Lamberson mouthpieces because
the brand you were using did not give you the sound you were looking for?
And a while ago some raves about Francois Louis ligatures? And wood necks?
Yes, even on the worst possible horn / setup you would still sound great.
But the less distraction one has while playing, the better. For some of us
that includes palm keys that play in tune or a middle D that isn't sharp.
True, some take it too far (as a survivor of the Stereo Equipment wars of
the 80's I could tell some stories about $1000 for a brick to be placed on
top of an amplifier, or $2000 for a handful of small ceramic chips to be
placed around the room to absorb stray energy... Not to mention the famous
Green Felt Tip Pen!) But I think we all are looking for a setup that we are
comfortable with. If it continues to the point where a player feels he
cannot perform without the newest gadget, then there is a problem. But just
acquiring equipment for the sake of having stuff isn't a bad thing.
Sometimes one really does find something that makes a difference.
Wanna buy some speaker cables?

Mark Bushaw

"TEP251Sax" <tep2...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

saxophan

Jun 30, 2003, 12:53:38 PM6/30/03
How true. I saw the great saxophonist Von Freeman last night. He was using a
belt as a neck strap. No joke. 80 years old and still kickin'...

TEP251Sax

Jun 30, 2003, 3:02:51 PM6/30/03
>But the less distraction one has while playing, the better

True-

>True, some take it too far

AND THAT WAS WHAT I MEANT!!
No more no less.
But I wonder how many are having FUN...
With the music.
I love my wood neck...and the FL Ligs...
I don't see colors or Jeasus or even Jeff Powell or Stan Getz when I play
them....
BUT......I am havin' fun......
Thaz what I was refering to. U dig?
Wanna buy a groundhog case cover?
hahhahaha-
HAve fun- TP

Mark Bushaw

Jun 30, 2003, 8:04:43 PM6/30/03
Naa, my Swedish Yak one is still like new!
Mark

"TEP251Sax" <tep2...@aol.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>

TEP251Sax

Jun 30, 2003, 8:11:02 PM6/30/03
>Naa, my Swedish Yak one is still like new!
>Mark

Nooooooooooooo,,,
This one..........
This suka........
::::::::: got da' sound::::::::::::::::
All the cats are playin' it to.
Mark...in a word- GROUNDHOG !!!
Next week I get a special bunch with
Alligator cords....from N.O....
Special for fonk music..........
As Mr Waits sais:::::>
Step right up, step right up, step right up,
Everyone's a winner, bargains galore
That's right, you too can be the proud owner
Of the quality goes in before the name goes on
One-tenth of a dollar, one-tenth of a dollar, we got service after sales...

Check it ;)
Tp

saxophan

Jul 1, 2003, 3:32:52 PM7/1/03
what a great song...

"TEP251Sax" <tep2...@aol.com> wrote in message

MrWitworth

Jul 2, 2003, 1:00:59 AM7/2/03
Nice to hear that Yamaha made good on the wacky neck. But here is the problem I
see: (though it won't affect me since I'm not a buyer). How does a buyer tell
the good G-1 neck from the bad G-1 neck, without the agony of taking it to a
gig and discovering the intonation problem with the neck. What I think Yamaha
should have done is rename the new neck G-1A or some such thing so a buyer
knows that they've received the corrected version. Does anyone know if Yamaha
is doing wel selling the new 82z horns?

Stu & Ju

Jul 2, 2003, 7:32:32 PM7/2/03
RC-

I have to second Ephrem herein. As you well know, I had the flawed
generation one G1 neck. The revised G1 neck fixed the upper reg intonation
per my mentor pro musician (he plays a vintage 1950's Mark VI). He said my
82Z is like "butter" (he meant this as a commendation). I would suggest that
anyone with pre- or post-purchase Yamaha inquiries e-mail or call Kurt Witt
at Yamaha Band Instruments in Grand Rapids, MI. I have exchanged many
e-mails with him as well as Mike Lutley in their warranty dept. They have
been most helpful and obliging with regard to amending the G1 issue.

Stu

"MrWitworth" <mrwit...@aol.com> wrote in message

saxophan

Jul 2, 2003, 7:59:04 PM7/2/03
Just for the record, the neck defect is only on tenor.
"Stu & Ju" <stu...@cox.net> wrote in message

rks...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2017, 8:24:02 PM7/13/17
It's not about gear acquisition, you have to buy a sax if you wanna play the sax. So while you're at it, why not get one you LIKE??? If it's about fun, then let the sax be fun to play, and a better one is more fun than a crappier one. That said, with changes in setup, neck, reed and playing style, you can do a lot with any instrument.

Lex Ingenii

Aug 20, 2017, 11:51:22 AM8/20/17
rks...@gmail.com wrote in
> It's not about gear acquisition, you have to buy a sax if you wanna
> play the sax. So while you're at it, why not get one you LIKE??? If
> it's about fun, then let the sax be fun to play, and a better one is
> more fun than a crappier one. That said, with changes in setup, neck,
> reed and playing style, you can do a lot with any instrument.

Well, buying an instrument also depends on how many coins you have in
your pocket. Many years ago, my first alto was a Yamaha YAS23 (1974, I
think). I still perform on it today, with an Otto Link mpc and Hemke
reeds. I once a played a concert sitting next to a guy who was using the
latest Selmer Mark X Super-Action Whatever, with matching Selmer mpc, and
reeds I've never seen before. I outplayed his balls off. He was upset
that I was flying on my student model Yamaha, and looked down his
significant nose at me, and said, "how do you get that sound on such a
crappy instrument?" I told him that the machine does not make the
musician. Embouchure and techique trump expensive toys every time.

So, as you play what you have (and can afford), and make the most out of
it.

---