No neckstrap

1 view

Hans Loonen

Oct 2, 2000, 2:18:26 AM10/2/00
Yesterday I watched a piece of the closing ceromy of the Olympic Games.
What baffled me was that the INX (tenor)sax-player did not use a neck
strap!!!
I play Tenor myself (for just a little more than a year) but I do not
succeed in playing without a neck strap!
Who else play without a neck strap???

Just wondering!!!

Stephen Howard

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:18:26 +0200, "Hans Loonen" <hlo_N...@oce.nl>
wrote:

I didn't watch the programme, but there could be four reaons.
One: the player was using a harness - they can be difficult to spot.
Or two: he was miming ( surely not!! )
Or three: he never plays open C#!
Or four: he forgot to stow his strap after the last gig!

Unless someone has invented the world's first anti-gravity neck strap
- in which case I want to go on record as being the first person to
say they DO NOT affect the tone! ;o)

Regards,

Emails to: shwoodwind{who is at}bigfoot{dot}com

Paul Lanfermeijer

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Hans,
Ik heb ook nog zo'n tuigje liggen dat je om kunt doen onder je overhemd
waarbij je alleen de haak tussen je overhemd laat doorkomen! Soort idee van
een kindertuigje wat je gebruikt in de kinderstoel.
Zou dat het kunnen zijn?????
Groet,
paul

Hans Loonen heeft geschreven in bericht <8r99i3$q51$1...@porthos.nl.uu.net>...

Binz

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Paul,

How can you say that - I don't understand! I know you can share your idea so
intimately to a fellow countrymen but what about others like me esp. this
subject is kinda interesting to me. I can play a close mid C# though.
Diak ammo no adda Ilocano 'd 'toy (pardon me, trying to catch a fellow
countrymen, if any).

Binz

Paul Lanfermeijer wrote:

> Hans,
> Ik heb ook nog zo'n tuigje liggen dat je om kunt doen onder je overhemd
> waarbij je alleen de haak tussen je overhemd laat doorkomen! Soort idee van
> een kindertuigje wat je gebruikt in de kinderstoel.
> Zou dat het kunnen zijn?????
> Groet,
> paul
>
> Hans Loonen heeft geschreven in bericht <8r99i3$q51$1...@porthos.nl.uu.net>...

William Dineen

Oct 8, 2000, 12:15:43 AM10/8/00
Several years ago I heard the Woody Herman Jazz Orchestra. Woody took a perfect alto sax solo and used no neckstrap. The memory haunts me because I've often wondered did he forget or lose his neckstrap or did he not need one because the horn was an extention of himself and thefore the strap was irrevelant?

jassistone

Andreas Parnow

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
Every now and then a student forgets something to take to the
lession....sometimes his mouthpiece, sometimes his reeds, sometimes his
notes....and.... sometimes his neckstrap. (I never had a student who's
forgotten his sax <g>) Sometimes they forget things to take to the lession,
sometimes to take home after! (must have been a very painful lession, running
head over heels out of my room and back home, leaving all they can't
grab...LOL)
In this situations I have to choose between let them go home, making a theory
lession or let them use my equipment... I prefere to let them use my equipment.
And so every now and then I have to play without a neckstrap on tenor or alto
sax (If they forget the baritone shoulder strap...that's not my fault...time
for some theory...<g>). On soprano it is normal for me to play without a
neckstrap since it is usless on a straight soprano the way I am playing it. On
tenor and alto it's no fun but it's more pain for the students than for me...
...so you can learn to handle it...you can learn to do a lot of things without
a neckstrap but of course not everything that you can do with a neckstrap. (And
there is no magic in doing some blues choruses in F or rhythm changes in Bb
w/out strap)
Greetings
Andy

Stolen Saxophones Page
http://members.aol.com/wonrap/stolen_sax_list/list.htm

Im Artikel <39E00410...@earthlink.net>, William Dineen
<jassi...@earthlink.net> schreibt:

>--------------F8F577633273BD753BCE7E6D
>
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

>Several years ago I heard the Woody Herman Jazz Orchestra. Woody took
>a perfect alto sax solo and used no neckstrap. The memory haunts me because
>I've often wondered did he forget or lose his neckstrap or did he not need
>one because the horn was an extention of himself and thefore the strap
>was irrevelant?
>
>jassistone
>
>Hans Loonen wrote:

>of the Olympic Games.
>
>What baffled me was that the INX (tenor)sax-player did not use a neck
>strap!!!
>I play Tenor myself (for just a little more than a year) but I do not
>succeed in playing without a neck strap!
>Who else play without a neck strap???

>Just wondering!!!</blockquote>

thesubu...@webtv.net

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
I did not see the ceremony but the reason for no strap was probably
because he could look cooler and have better moves without it, all of
this was able to be done without a neckstrap because he was probably NOT
REALLY PERFORMING AT ALL. Usually these kind of ceremonies are heavily
choreaographed and too technically challenging to actually have people
play. \
Remember the super bowl half time show a couple of years ago when Smoky
Robinson was so off from the recording that they had to pan away from
him almost the entire time because it was so obvious?
THESUBURBANITE