Sax Tuition-Central Scotland

Campbell Murray

Jan 23, 2001, 7:27:48 PM1/23/01
Help,
I've just lost my Sax teacher of 8 years standing.

I am probably Intermediate standard...sax is my 2nd instrument guitar is my
main one.

Do you consider I need a new teacher and can anyone help me find one near
Glasgow ?

Thanks....any suggestions for self help please ?

--
Regards,

Campbell

Andy W

Jan 24, 2001, 3:48:18 AM1/24/01
Hi Campbell

Give us a better idea of what you can do -
Have you been doing the Associated Board exams?
how is your sight reading?
what kinds of music are you most into?
what do you want to be able to do that you can't do just now?

There gets a point when a "classical" teacher
will give you very different advice than a "jazz" teacher, etc
I could probably recommend, or at least give you the names of,
a few different teachers, in different parts of the region.

Of course, it may be you don't need a teacher,
and are ready to set off by yourself.
But at least a few directions or a road map will help ;-)

Andy W
Glasgow

A.G.Whiteford...@gcal.ac.uk

p.s. drop in and say hello to me and the gang in Lauders Bar, Sauchiehall Street
any Saturday afternoon, if you'd like to hear some big-band jazz.

Gardner

Jan 24, 2001, 6:27:56 AM1/24/01
http://www.jazz-in-scotland.co.uk/ contains a tuition section.

Alternatively, contact McCormack's Music in Bath Street, Glasgow -
they have been helpful to students for half a century, and will point
you towards a good teacher.

Andy W

Jan 24, 2001, 7:38:09 AM1/24/01
McCormack's will only recommend Ian Jenkins,
who's their in-shop teacher, giving lessons on a Saturday morning
(Ian took over the pupils of the late Jimmy Philips).
Ian's a great player, & though I don't think he's doing any other private
lessons, I could be wrong

BTW, Ian & myself are both on tenors in the Lauders Band. (Jimmy P was
lead alto)

otherwise they'll recomend you to contact
the Musicians Union and ask them to post you the saxophone/ woodwind list:

Musicians Union Scotland
11 Sandyford Place, Glasgow G3 7NB
Tel: 0141-248 3723
Fax: 0141-204 3510
Ian Smith, Scottish Organiser & Glasgow Branch Secretary

It also might be worth phoning 'Biggars' and 'Band Supplies' for
recommendations.
--------

Gardner - surely we must know each other, or at least of each other ?
why not mail me and say hello ?

Andy W
Glasgow

A.G.Whiteford...@gcal.ac.uk

------

Joe Pairman

Jan 23, 2001, 8:14:28 PM1/23/01
Do you think you could do with a new teacher? I suppose it depends
where you want to take your sax playing. I mean everybody can always
do with some more lessons. Have you thought about joining a wind band
or something?

Whereabouts are you, by the way? My grandparents live in Bearsden.

--
Joe Pairman
Leeds, UK

Campbell Murray

Jan 26, 2001, 8:09:22 AM1/26/01
Im In Motherwell & would love to join a band playing Alto

--
Regards,

Campbell
"Joe Pairman" <joe.p...@NOSPAMbigfoot.com> wrote in message