Inflamed taste buds?

Michael Kilpatrick

Oct 5, 2007, 3:55:07 PM10/5/07
Has any of you ever suffered from extremely irritated and inflamed taste
buds? I've had this problem for the last couple weeks - I thought it had
gone away but it has just reappeared. One or two individual taste buds
have flared up and are causing constant irritation that is outlandishly
far in excess of their size. Very much so. First it was on the tip of my
tongue, now I have three about a quarter of an inch back on the top of
my tongue. The first time it took well over a week to go away and now
it's starting all over again and I'm dreading it.

My only thought was that it must be from something festering on a dirty
saxophone mouthpiece as I'm sure I've not eaten anything odd or burnt my
mouth with hot food recently. Whatever it is, it's extremely irritating.
Really, really irritating.

Any similar experiences, anybody? I don't think I've had it before and
I've been no more messy and unclean recently than I usually am!

Michael

Pete Thomas

Oct 5, 2007, 4:50:08 PM10/5/07

I've had similar symptoms, but never attributed it to anything to do
with saxophones. I think people can have sort of borderline allergies to
certain foods or environmental factors. Allergies can creep up on you
also, one day you can eat tomatoes, the next day they can give you this
type of symptom. My wife gets a sore mouth with certain types of
toothpaste. Even though there are many bugs possible on a mouthpiece
(see Stephen Howard's article) I think there are many many other
possibilities.

Best Regards

--
Pete Thomas

Saxophone Forum www.breakfastroom.co.uk

On-line saxophone exercises, jazz theory, Saxophone Instruction DVD. And
other stuff. Site & contact www.petethomas.co.uk

Pete Thomas

Oct 6, 2007, 4:23:18 AM10/6/07

Another cause could be due to owning too many Conn 12Ms, I would happily
take one or two off your hands if it would help.

Christopher von Volborth

Oct 6, 2007, 10:45:08 AM10/6/07

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Has any of you ever suffered from extremely irritated and inflamed taste
> buds? I've had this problem for the last couple weeks -

I would recommend consulting an ENT doctor.

Chris
www.cdbaby.com/vonvolborth

Michael Coughlin

Oct 6, 2007, 1:06:56 PM10/6/07

"Michael Kilpatrick" <mic...@mtkilpatrick.SPAMfsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

I've always been susceptible to mouth ulcers, which may be what you
describe, but I definitely get them more frequently since I took up the Sax.
I believe they're caused by biting or puncture wounds (sharp reeds or
mouthpieces for instance). We have a product in the UK called "Bonjela",
which if applied early enough, can stop them forming, but it at least
anaesthetizes them so you can eat or play.

Mike Coughlin

Michael Kilpatrick

Oct 6, 2007, 3:28:22 PM10/6/07
Michael Coughlin wrote:

> I've always been susceptible to mouth ulcers,

Same here, and that's quite a different thing. I get them down inside
the lower lip or occasionally on the lower gum. This problem with the
tongue, however, is a first.

Michael

Fun of God

Oct 6, 2007, 5:36:18 PM10/6/07

"Michael Coughlin" <m.cou...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

If you're talking about cold sores (herpes simplex) try lysine, an amino
acid available in pill form. I used to get them all the time from metal
mouthpieces. And possibly from loose women I met in the parking lot after
the gig. Take a couple of pills when you first feel the buzz in your lip and
the sore never forms. Its a miracle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine

saxbetel

Oct 9, 2007, 3:34:59 PM10/9/07

I had a student who had a similar problem. Her doctor narrowed the
problem down to a an onion allergy.
I wouldn't be so fast to attribute the problem to sax playing; go see
an allergy doctor.

stace...@hotmail.co.uk

Oct 23, 2007, 4:15:28 PM10/23/07
On Oct 5, 8:55 pm, Michael Kilpatrick

i have had the same problem now for 3 weeks i just managed to start
eating again and they came back. ive been to the gp who feels its due
to gastric secretions, i beg to differ. i've been on gastric
medication for a week with no improvement back to the gp friday.
stacey

jenny.z...@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk

Nov 14, 2007, 10:35:03 AM11/14/07
On Oct 5, 7:55 pm, Michael Kilpatrick

My son has had 3 taste buds come up on his tongue but they are not
irritating him but it is very strange i have not seen any thing like
this, our gp said that for this to happen was normal ,but sometimes if
you are run down they can appear!

jenny