Transcription of Illinois Jacquet's "Flying Home" solo

Sax Maam

Dec 4, 2005, 6:40:28 PM12/4/05
I've been looking for this (Transcription of Illinois Jacquet's "Flying
Home" solo) on the web and haven't found it, either free or for sale.
Has anyone got this?

Thanks,

Susan

Joe Montgomery

Dec 4, 2005, 7:51:30 PM12/4/05
I'll ask our sax player...we do the tune note for note.

if he has it do you want it in the original horn key or in guitar key?

jm

Joe Montgomery

Dec 4, 2005, 7:51:34 PM12/4/05

Sax Maam

Dec 5, 2005, 7:07:12 AM12/5/05
to Joe Montgomery
Joe Montgomery wrote:

The horn key! Of course either would help.

Susan

Joe Montgomery

Dec 5, 2005, 9:56:08 AM12/5/05
I'll ask today.

jm

rhysonsax

Dec 5, 2005, 1:39:06 PM12/5/05
Curtis Swift has got a good version on his website:
http://www.saxsolos.com/ Look for it by title, artist or transcription
number (#390 for Flying Home).

His standard is excellent, will often do transcriptions on request and
I think charges something like 50c a sheet for those he has already
got. For doing new stuff from scratch it costs more, depending on
length and complexity, but it is still good value.

All the best

Rhys

Ted Thompson

Dec 5, 2005, 3:59:19 PM12/5/05
Is he the same Curtis Swift I use to know from Winston-Salem, Greensboro
area? He was a fine jazz tenor player. My best to him . Nice guy.
"rhysonsax" <rhys...@aol.com> wrote in message

spankypdx

Dec 6, 2005, 12:23:11 PM12/6/05
I've got the entire tune transcribed, including the solo. I wrote an
arrangement for my 9-piece band (Alto, Tenor, Trumpet, Trombone, plus
Rhythm section) that takes the best of two different recordings of the
tune. The first chorus of my arrangement is a transcription from the
earlier Goodman/Hampton small group's recording, and includes a
transcribed trumpet solo by (Harry James? I'm guessing because the
recording I have is uncredited) and then the solo section has the
Illinois solo from the later, more famous Lionel Hampton recording;
then the tune finishes with the shout chorus and ending from that later
recording.

Listen to a sample at
http://www.petepetersen.com/petefolder/audioclips.htm -- it's under the
Porkpie listing.

I could make the arrangement available for you if this will suit your
purpose.

Pete

Dave Parker

Dec 7, 2005, 1:51:51 AM12/7/05
"Sax Maam" <sax...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

What album is it on?

Sax Maam

Dec 7, 2005, 6:50:45 AM12/7/05
Dave,

Variants of this solo (IJ didn't vary it too much, I gather) are all
over the place. I'm actually listening to David Brooks on "the Big Horn
[Disk 4] More Bounce to the Ounce." So I don't know which is the best
incarnation.

Susan

Sax Maam

Dec 12, 2005, 8:32:41 AM12/12/05
Transcription of Illinois Jacquet's "Flying Home" solo is up on my blog.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-8JlcObc

Bill Ribas

Dec 12, 2005, 9:53:30 AM12/12/05
Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

"Sax Maam" <sax...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Sax Maam

Dec 12, 2005, 9:53:52 AM12/12/05
to Sax Maam
Sax Maam wrote:
> Transcription of Illinois Jacquet's "Flying Home" solo is up on my blog.
>
> http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-8JlcObc

Hmm. Maybe this link will work better:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-8JlcObc_dLD7ZzFXwqy.cQ--?p=44

Bill Ribas

Dec 12, 2005, 11:28:52 AM12/12/05
ka-ching! thanks .

"Sax Maam" <sax...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

petex...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2018, 4:38:06 PM8/7/18
I have no clue if you still are online but can I get access to the transcription please>

Kurt Schmid

Feb 2, 2022, 2:14:38 PM2/2/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2005 at 11:23:11 AM UTC-6, spankypdx wrote:
Hi Pete,
Just ran across this thread. Do you have a transcription of the HJ trumpet solo? Do you sell any of your transcriptions.
Thanks!
Kurt