For those that were lucky enough to have know him

Brian

Nov 6, 2003, 4:44:22 PM11/6/03
EMANUEL ROBERT SENERCHIA, 72, of BRICK
(He was known on sax as "Manny Senerchia" )

Published in the Asbury Park Press 11/06/03

EMANUEL ROBERT SENERCHIA, 72, of BRICK, was killed while riding his
motorcycle on Saturday, Nov. 1, in Freehold. Born and raised in Newark, he
had an extensive and multi-faceted career as a professional baseball player,
baseball coach, high school and college instructor, S.C.C.A. race car
driver,
licensed pilot, jazz musician, and concert violinist. Known professionally
as "Sonny Senerchia," he was a pitcher and third baseman with the Pittsburgh
Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals, and Cleveland Reds. Following his baseball
career, he served as baseball coach and instructor at Livingston High School
before moving to the Jersey Shore in 1962 to coach the Monmouth College
Baseball Team and teach physical education at the college. A 20-year
resident
of Spring Lake, he also resided in Long Branch and Ocean Township, where he
continued his careers in music and teaching. He held a bachelor's degree in
physical education and English from Montclair State Teacher's College and a
master's degree in music from Trenton State College. As a concert violinist,
he was a featured performer, soloist, and concertmaster with several
orchestras, including the New Jersey State Symphony, the Garden State Arts
Center Orchestra, and the Toms River Symphony. His solo violin performances
included appearances with entertainers Pearl Bailey, Jack Benny and Peter
Allen. At the age of 10, he performed as solo violinist at Carnegie Hall. As
a jazz musician, he played clarinet, saxophone, flute, and piano with many
local bands, including the Warren Mercer Big Band and Quartet. In his
retirement, he enjoyed playing in a tournament softball league (the Holiday
City South team), attending races at Wall Stadium, working as a freelance
professional musician, and making appearances on radio and television as a
local sports personality. His numerous honors and awards include induction
into the Montclair University Athletic Hall of Fame.
Surviving are three children, Susanne Sener of Larkspur, Colo., Steven
Senerchia of Brick, and Kenneth Senerchia of Divide, Colo.; a sister,
Carmela
Caruso of Shrewsbury; several nieces; his former wife, Dorothy Senner of
Tinton Falls; and long-time companion, Susan Dooley of New York City.

Relatives and friends are invited to call from 4 to 7 p.m. Sunday at
Johnson-
McGinley Funeral Home, 2652 Route 138, Wall. A celebration of life service
will follow at 7 p.m. The Rev. Dan Schafer of the Hightstown Baptist Church
will officiate. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that memorial
donations be made to the Eric Martin Fund, P.O. Box 1327, Soddy Daisy, TN
37384.

TEP251Sax

Nov 6, 2003, 5:44:53 PM11/6/03
Brian- I can imagine how you feel.
This guy....was magic.
Manny made ya feel good.He was humble and honest.
I never met him face to face...but thru Brian I knew him and he'd call me at
times to chat. He was a cool person.
His musicianship WAS legendary and I bet somwhere on E bay an baseball card of
him is going for huge bucks.
I'm sorry to hear this Brian.
I know you and Manny were tight.
I was lucky...to put it midly.
Very lucky....god bless him .
Tim Price

stevet...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2018, 11:11:05 PM8/27/18
On Thursday, November 6, 2003 at 5:44:53 PM UTC-5, TEP251Sax wrote:

> >EMANUEL ROBERT SENERCHIA, 72, of BRICK, was killed while riding his
> >motorcycle on Saturday, Nov. 1, in Freehold. Born and raised in Newark, he
> >had an extensive and multi-faceted career as a professional baseball player,
> >baseball coach, high school and college instructor

> >of Spring Lake, he also resided in Long Branch and Ocean Township, where he
> >continued his careers in music and teaching.

he was also a gym teacher and drivers ed instructor at Christian Brothers Academy, colts neck in the mid 70s

i am lucky to have spent time in his classroom