Female Saxophone players

Andy Harman

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
On 6 Sep 1998 06:52:22 GMT, cutep...@aol.com (CutePiglet) wrote:

>My name is Jess, and I play the alto saxophone. It is very hard to find a
>female saxophone player, let alone an alto. If you know of any people or just
>want to talk about the ALTO sax, e-mail me. Please let me know of any awesome
>CD's of saxophone players preferably altos. Big Band music is cool.

Well there is Candy Dulfer who plays alto, and you'll find several
female sax players in this newsgroup. Don't know of any who do big
band though.

Andy
Visit the Prototype Modelers Group Web Page at http://w3.one.net/~aharman/index.html
Sorry I must resort to anti-spam practice, reply to aharman at one (spelled out) dot net

CutePiglet

Mal Stainkey

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Probably the most famous saxophone player is Candy Duffer, she has sights on
the web.
The alto player from the Rascher quartet is female, I think I lent my cd to
my teacher.
If you are in Australia the Alto sax player on the hey, hey it's Saturday
band is also female.

Hope that gets you started

bye for now
Mal
art...@ozemail.com.au

"Don't Think....... Feel!"
Bruce Lee

Ferd

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
In the Big Band I play in, we have 4 Alto's, and I am the only male among
them. They want to ban me to the Baritone, though... Come to think it, most
alto players I know are women. Come even more to think of it, most Tenor
players I know are women too.. And the only baritone player that I know
besides me is also a women. All the men seem to stick to the soprano!

Still, a good woman is hard to find..

Keep you reed wet, Ferd
www.xs4all.nl/~f123

CutePiglet wrote

TEP251Sax

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
Hey Jess..one of the big bands on today's
scene is DIVA..It is all women,and its nickname is
-no mans band-ya can check them out at, http://www.jazzcorner.com/diva.html
Also if you go to that sight and want to contact any of the sax players ,you
can thru that web sight.I suggest Jenny Hill..shes a great player and way cool
lady.She plays Alto & Tenor,she also used to play with Maxi Priest,the
reggae band.
DIVA is a great band also,you should get their c/d's.
Other female players that come to mind are Jane Ira Bloom,Virginia
Mayhew..both of which have c/d's out that are excellent musically.You should go
to a well stocked record store and look for them.Jane Bloom plays great soprano
sax and is a world class composer.I've know her sinse the early 70's and think
you'd enjoy her.Check the net to she has a web sight ..as does Virginia
Mayhew-who I also think you'd like.She plays Alto & Tenor
and is really a swinging player.Her c/d by the way is on the label;
Chairascuro. Virginia's Alto playing on"Good Morning Heartache" is beautiful.
That should keep you busy for a bit .Have fun-Tim Price

Stephen Ylvisaker

Sep 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/6/98
In article <199809060652...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
cutep...@aol.com (CutePiglet) wrote:

> My name is Jess, and I play the alto saxophone. It is very hard to find a
> female saxophone player, let alone an alto. If you know of any people or just
> want to talk about the ALTO sax, e-mail me. Please let me know of any awesome
> CD's of saxophone players preferably altos. Big Band music is cool.
>

> Jess

Hi, Jess!

Someone has already mentioned Virginia Mayhew, and others have been
mentioned, as well. Another to look at would be Lisa Pollard, on Concord
Jazz. There are some very good ladies coming in the future; I had the
fortune of seeing some high school and college bands with some very good
lady players.

Stephen

--
Stephen Ylvisaker
reverse the domain name in the return address to reply

Hubert Barth

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
to CutePiglet
Barbara Thompson - tenor and soprano mostly, she has quite a few CDs out with her
own band "Paraphernalia" she also played with a lot of European bands like the
"United Jazz and Rock Ensemble"
Lily White - plays mostly tenor , but also some alto. She had a CD release on
"Knitting Factory Works" with her own band.
Mary Fettig - plays lead alto in Dave Eshelmans Jazz Garden Big Band (at least one
the CD "Deep Voices")

Wolliwnoom

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Great advice, Tim Price!

Also, Jess, check out Debra Richtmeyer for classical. (I'm a female
saxophonist, too- last year, my sax quartet at Ithaca College was all female-
this year it's 3/4 female). I honestly don't really regard Candy Dulfer as a
great player (I'm still pissed over her mangled arrangement of "So What"), but
like Tim said, check out Jane Ira Bloom! She knows what she's doing!

All the best,

Michelle

KSQ

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Wolliwnoom wrote:

> Also, Jess, check out Debra Richtmeyer for classical. (I'm a female
> saxophonist, too- last year, my sax quartet at Ithaca College was all female-
> this year it's 3/4 female).

Michelle's comments reminded me that I have a couple of CDs of
all-female quartets. One is of a Swedish group called Rollin' Phones;
their disc is on the BIS label, and includes standards by Singelee,
Bozza, Francaix, and Glazunov. The other is a Dutch group, the Syrinx
Saxophone Quartet; their disc, on Erasmus, has one standard -- the
Schmitt -- and several contemporary pieces, written between 1978 and
1991. Two of the works include texts sung by a soprano.

-- Sam

P.S. -- Michelle, I've been curious -- what's the significance of
"Moonwillow?" (if you don't mind my asking...)

CalSax

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Don't forget the British sax quartet "The Fairer Sax", all female.
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Carmichael
Northern Arizoina University
BM Saxophone performance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KSQ

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
CalSax wrote:

> Don't forget the British sax quartet "The Fairer Sax", all female.

Duh. (Smacking myself on the head.) Of course. I have two of their
CDs as well.

That's what I get for composing a post at three in the morning...

-- Sam

Kenny

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98
Laura Dreyer BURNS! I think she lives in NY... -kb

Jim Callahan

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
In the "Presidents Own" United States Marine Band, the bari player is a
woman. Damn good too.

Jim Callahan

ZLady28

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Hey All,
I am not famous but I have been playing my alto Since the 6th grade and I am
26. I have also played locally in a Salsa band. It is great being the only
girl horn player playing between a 2 trumpets and a trombone. :0)
I dig playing in bands.

Ted Thompson

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Did anyone mention superb Canadian Soprano player Jane Bunnett?

TEP251Sax

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
Hi Ted ..yes in the beginning of all this I did.I really like Janes soprano
sound.
BUT !! We forgot one of the most important and well known female
influences..even bigger that Candy Dolpher < dig this Michelle :) >
LISA SIMPSON ! How could we forget- Tim Price

Keith Henson

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98

Hey Timbo

I keep waiting for someone to mention Vi Redd and billy tipton.

keith
khe...@accessone.com
http://www.accessone.com/~khenson/

KSQ

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
TEP251Sax wrote:

> We forgot one of the most important and well known female
> influences..even bigger that Candy Dolpher < dig this Michelle :) >
> LISA SIMPSON ! How could we forget-

Anybody else see that article a few years ago in the NY Times? It
credited Ms. Simpson with a large increase in interest in the saxophone
among young girls. (And no, I'm not joking.) Basically it said that
between Kenny G, Bill Clinton, and Lisa Simpson, the saxophone was more
in vogue than it had been in a long time.

-- Sam

OurHouse8

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
In Seattle, there is a woman named "Jessica Lurie" who plays with Billy Tipton
Memorial Saxophone Quartet (all women) and her own group "Living Daylights".
She's young and great.

Barbara in Seattle

Phil Bywater and Anita Hustas

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Sorry, I've come into this thread rather late, but I just have to add
a fantastic tenor player named Sandy Evans who has a great band called
Clarion Fracture Zone, out here in Australia. Check it out.

AW

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
...wasn't there a female sax player in that old film
"Some like it hot" ?
She was one ugly lookin' dame, if I remember rightly ;-)

Paul Lindemeyer

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

Then there's the Nuclear Whales Saxophone Orchestra, probably the only
important group today that is close to gender parity (3 men/3 women,
although having bass and contrabass on the guy side stereotypes things a
bit :-) ).

--

Paul Lindemeyer <pau...@cyburban.com>
CELEBRATING THE SAXOPHONE: The Book

Sax Therapy

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Here's my addition to this thread": I recall a bands from the 70's
called Isis that was all female and had a horn section of trombone,
sax and trumpet, they were kind of like a female Tower of Power.
More recently, a psych/punk band called Plan 9 had a female alto
player......S

on 14 Sep 1998 12:14:02 -0500 the entity known as Paul Lindemeyer wrote:
:+OurHouse8 wrote:
:+>
:+> In Seattle, there is a woman named "Jessica Lurie" who plays with Billy Tipton
:+> Memorial Saxophone Quartet (all women) and her own group "Living Daylights".
:+> She's young and great.

:+Then there's the Nuclear Whales Saxophone Orchestra, probably the only
:+important group today that is close to gender parity (3 men/3 women,
:+although having bass and contrabass on the guy side stereotypes things a
:+bit :-) ).

:+--

:+Paul Lindemeyer <pau...@cyburban.com>
:+ CELEBRATING THE SAXOPHONE: The Book
:+ 100 YEARS FROM TODAY: The Record
:+C.G. CONN Saxophones "Choice of the Artist"

/~(_)~\ o/~~
II====== l =-} saul smaizys (whois SS666) saxm...@ripco.com o/
\_(~)_/ http://www.ripco.com:/~saxmania (~)o/
vox 773/907/8229 data:fax 773/907/8521 \8/

TEP251Sax

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Saxmaina wailed forth;

Subject: Re: Female Saxophone players
From: saxm...@ripco.com (Sax Therapy)
Date: Mon, Sep 14, 1998 23:50

Here's my addition to this thread": I recall a bands from the 70's
called Isis that was all female and had a horn section of trombone,
sax and trumpet, they were kind of like a female Tower of Power.

Yea..THat was Jeannie Feinberg on Tenor .She plays great saxophone-Isis used to
be a band post - 10 Wheel Drive band that
Genya Ravan had before 10 wheel called "Goldie & The Gingerbreads". I can't
recall if Jeannie was in that one.
Jeannie can play. The bone player plays wit "Diva" now.I think her name is
Polly ???
Anyhow- Thats the Isis thang. >Tim Price

MyCatTom

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

I'm really late with this topic and can't get the original post now. Was it a
question about who's out there? How about (for starters):

West Coast: Mad Duran, Mary Fettig, Jean Fineberg, Lisa Pollard, Ann
Patterson, Jennifer Vaccaro, Barbara Watts, Maia Sharp, Scheila Gonzalez,
Janine Del Arte

Blazing Redheads: Klaudia Promessi, Donna Viscuso

Billy Tipton MSQ: Amy Denio, Jessica Lurie, Marjorie de Muynck, Barbara Marino

New York: Jenny Hill, Laura Dreyer, Sue Terry, Lily White, Fostina Dixon, Kit
McClure, Julie Bluestone, Maria Lazzaro, Candace DeBartolo, Kristy Norter

Transplanted Californians: Virginia Mayhew, Cynthia Mullis, Carol Chaikin, Jess
Jones

Indiana: Shannon Hudgins

Erica Lindsay (now in upstate NY??)

Texas: Sharon Hirata (Houston), Rachella Parks (Denton)

Boston: Cercie Miller, Myanna, Anat Cohen

UK: Holly Slater, Barbara Thompson, Louise Elliott

Holland: Carolyn Breuer

Norway: Bodil Niska

The United Women's Orchestra: Corinna Danzer, Meike Goosman, Esther Maria
Stumm, Christina Fuchs, Hazel Leach, Christine Hormann

Europeans in the US: Karoline Strassmayer, Grazia diGiorgio, Henriette Muller,
Sonia Jacobsen

Americans in Europe: Rosa King (Holland), Marian Kaul (Germany)

Australia: Lisa Parrott (NYC)

Soprano saxists: Jane Ira Bloom, Jane Bunnett (Canada)

Canada: Janice Findlay, Jennifer Bell

Popsters: Candy Dulfer, Sonya Jason, Pamela Williams, Paula Atherton, Cece
Worrall

Washington DC Military: Sheila Connor (Ft. Meade), Mary Beth George (Bolling
AFB), Connie Frigo (Navy Yard), Cynthia Marr (Navy Yard), Cathy Stiles
(Annapolis Naval Academy), Audrey Cupples (Marine Band)

The foremothers: Vi Redd, Vi Burnside, Willene Barton

Bari players: Kathy Jensen (Minneapolis) , Claire Daly (NYC), Barbara Cifelli
(NYC), Bev Dahlke-Smith (LA), Clare Church (Colorado), Wendy MacDonald
(Boston), Dianne Parke (NY, now in LA), Jennifer Hall (LA), and some girl in
Washington DC (shout out to Tim Price!!!)

Apologies for any omissions! (Sorry, I'm not so informed on classical
players.)

myca...@aol.com (Leigh Pilzer)

cbw

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
to MyCatTom
Good God! Where did you find all these wonderful names :]

Ted Thompson

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
cbw wrote:

> Good God! Where did you find all these wonderful names :]
She found all those names because she`s Leigh Pilzer, the "some girl in
D.C." she mentioned. A marvelous bari player, and one hell of a doubler
too.
Ted Thompson

Kenny

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
In article <19980925004438...@ng64.aol.com>, myca...@aol.com
(MyCatTom) wrote:

> New York: Jenny Hill, Laura Dreyer, Sue Terry, Lily White, Fostina Dixon, Kit
> McClure, Julie Bluestone, Maria Lazzaro, Candace DeBartolo, Kristy Norter
>
> Transplanted Californians: Virginia Mayhew, Cynthia Mullis, Carol
Chaikin, Jess
> Jones

Actually Laura Dreyer is a transplanted Californian as well! -kb

Wolliwnoom

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

Hi, everyone. Leigh mentioned Erica Lindsay, I'm writing to confirm that
she's in upstate ny. She's a wonderful player, and I was able to spend a lot
of time talking to her and her roomate when I was younger and living at home
full time. She's got some great chops, and is full of encouragement for
younger chicks, too!!

Michelle

George C. Kaschner

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

Wolliwnoom wrote:

Just curious, Michelle, would you take offense if you heard somone refer to a
woman as a "chick"? Most folks would consider it less than respectful - if it
came from a man. (And yes, I would rather not be called a "dude".)

Go for the tone,

George

Wolliwnoom

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98

>Just curious, Michelle, would you take offense if you heard somone refer to a
>woman as a "chick"? Most folks would consider it less than respectful - if
>it
>came from a man. (And yes, I would rather not be called a "dude".)

No, not particularly. I don't care. I have better things to do in life than
worry about being offended by fellow musicians. I would be offended if someone
used a racial slur in my presence, but all in all, I feel that people are too
uptight about the whole "chick" thing. Where I'm from, it's just not an issue.

Michelle

Bill & Kris Singer

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
Kenny wrote:

> In article <19980925004438...@ng64.aol.com>, myca...@aol.com
> (MyCatTom) wrote:
>
> > New York: Jenny Hill, Laura Dreyer, Sue Terry, Lily White, Fostina Dixon, Kit
> > McClure, Julie Bluestone, Maria Lazzaro, Candace DeBartolo, Kristy Norter

Nothin against Julie, but I like Sue and Laura.

Bill Singer
http://www.erols.com/bksinger/

David Lamb

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
I would like to add my plug for Linda Bangs, a former Rascher student and
fine baritone player. She has made a number of CD's of new saxophone music
and is the conductor of a large classical saxophone ensemble in Germany. She
has done a sensitive job of performing my music, and so naturally I am
biased.

I will also mention Susan Fancher, the soprano player in the Impuls Quartet
in Evanston Illinois. She has played with the Rollin' Phones and the Vienna
Saxophone Quartet. I know her work from the lovely and insightful playing
she did on the recording of my saxophone quartet, Affirmations.

John David Lamb
<dl...@oz.net>

MyCatTom

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

>From: Ted Thompson <TT...@worldnet.att.net>

>She found all those names because she`s Leigh Pilzer, the "some girl in
D.C." she mentioned. A marvelous bari player, and one hell of a doubler
too.
> Ted Thompson

Thank you, Ted! :)

>From: sax...@donotmailme.ix.netcom.com (Kenny)
>Actually Laura Dreyer is a transplanted Californian as well! -kb

You're right, and now I'm thinking that maybe Jenny is also. That's what I get
for trying to be too slick! Sorry for any other errors.

>From: cbw <cbw...@ix.netcom.com>
>Good God! Where did you find all these wonderful names :]

As a female musician I became interested in what other women musicians were
doing. From that interest grew a sort of hobby of collecting recordings by
women instrumentalists, not just saxophonists. Most of the people I mentioned
can be heard on recordings. Some of my favorites*:

Carolyn Breuer - "Acquaintance"
"Simply Be"

Mad & Eddie Duran - "From Here To The Moon"
http://www.fivespot.com/

Mary Fettig - "In Good Company"
(I have this on LP, it may have been released on CD by now)
http://www.batnet.com/jazmin/

Hornheads - "Hornheads"
"5 Heads Are Better Than 1"
http://www.bitstream.net/hornheads/

Mayhew, Virginia - "Nini Green"
http://www.jazzcorner.com/studio.html

Terra Mars - "The Troubadors"
http://www.changingtones.com/teramars.html

Diva - "Something's Coming"
"Leave It To Diva"
http://www.jazzcorner.com/studio.html

Swinging Ladies - "Take One"
"Take Two"

Swinging Ladies is a group led by German bassist Lindy Hupperstberg. "Take
One" features Stacy Rowles, Audrey Morrison, Lisa Pollard, Jill McCarron, and
Sylvia Cuenca. "Take Two" has Stacy and Lisa, joined by Sharon Hirata, Janice
Friedman, and Megan Foley. They're both really nice CDs, although not easy to
find. "Take Two" is available through some of the import CD places but I
haven't found "Take One" anywhere - a friend picked these up for me while in
Germany. They're worth it if you can track them down.

*If you have any favorites to add, please post them. I chose just a few to
include here because this post is already pretty long. I may have left out
something you like because I don't know about it. I also may have left
something out inadvertently.
myca...@aol.com (Leigh Pilzer)

Wolliwnoom

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

>I would like to add my plug for Linda Bangs, a former Rascher student and
>fine baritone player. She has made a number of CD's of new saxophone music
>and is the conductor of a large classical saxophone ensemble in Germany.

Yes! Let me sing my praise for Linda Bangs, too! The name of the group is the
South German Saxophone Chamber Orchestra, and I had the unique opportunity to
hear them play. I was so psyched and floored by how awesome they were! I
bought their CD at the performance and it is very, very good!

Michelle

Gary Morrison

Oct 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/4/98
The classical quartet called "Saxology", which I enjoy a lot, has female
soprano and bari players.

CalSax

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98

I just recieved Candian saxophonist Julia Nolan's CD with the "Tableaux de
Provance" performed with orchestra. A real treat. I recommend it highly.

Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Carmichael
Northern Arizona University
BM Saxophone performance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jmsim...@att.net

May 8, 2014, 12:42:44 PM5/8/14
In the 70's the group, all women, Isis had Jeanie Fineberg on sax and flute, Lauren Draper on trumpet, Lolly Bienenfield on trombone. Later, Edith Dankowitz performed on sax and Ellen Seeling on trumpet.
Message has been deleted

in...@music-entertainment.nl

Jun 19, 2014, 2:37:28 PM6/19/14
Please check Miss Saxolirious from the Netherlands at http://www.Miss-Saxolirious.com

run...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2014, 8:15:29 AM6/24/14
Jess,

I love listening to Pamela Williams.
Here is her web page:

http://www.pamelawilliamsthesaxtress.com/

l...@getggg.com

Sep 21, 2014, 7:30:28 PM9/21/14

We are looking for female saxophonists to tour for 6 months in india, hong kong and dubai, if you know of anyone that could be interested please pass them my email at l...@getggg.com and have them email me so that i can send the job offer. Thanks

lee