Ethnicity of Sax Players

Mack

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
Anyone notice this too?
Thanks

PS I'm not racist

Jeff Willis

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Excuse me, but I have to EXTREMELY DISAGREE(as Im sure many others will),
and I will add that many a "good" sax player has been white and not Jewish.
I dont even know where to begin. I could name a zillion sax players who are
white and not Jewish, and are "good", but I will just say a few : Stan Getz,
Ronnie Cuber, Lennie Pickett, Dave Sanborn, Eric Marienthal, Bob Mintzer,
Ernie Watts, etc.... the list goes on forever but Im sure other people will
add to this list. You may consider changing your views on race affecting a
sax players ability on the instrument.
Jeff
Mack <b_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ASILANT57

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99

Let us not forget the Italian Tenors :

Joe Lovano
George Garzone
Frank Tiberi
Charlie Ventura
Jerry Bergonzi
Pat LaBarbera
Ralph Lalama
Vido Musso
Don Menza
Sal Nestico
Phil Urso
Joe Farintello ( Joe Farrell )
Nino Tempo
John Zangrando
Tony Campise
Charlie Mariano ( O.k. that's an alto ...)

- - Dave W.

James Denham

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Dave,

Thanks for including John Z.! Now that's doing the NG justice!

James

ASILANT57 <asil...@aol.com> wrote in message

HornySax

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Any famous Asian sax players?

Toni Linder

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
There are a lot of great jazz players and many fantastic saxophone players
here in Europe. The fact that most Americans never get a chance to hear them
doesn't make them less great.

Toni Linder
Evilard, Switzerland

Ulrich Lang

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
...or jewish?

Ulrich Lang

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Is Michael Brecker black?

MMacqu2070

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Let's not forget out Martian, Venusian, Atlantean and Lemurian saxoponists:
Frank Wright
Albert Ayler
Ellery Eskelin
Marshall Allen
Ivo Pearlman
David S Ware
ect ect

Hubert Barth

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
No.

Hubert Barth
Cologne/Germany
http://www.bigbands.de

PS Me neither

Mack schrieb in Nachricht <7qsiuf$dj5$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>...

Wade Johnson

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
<<
It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
Anyone notice this too?
Thanks

PS I'm not racist

You may not consider yourself a racist, but your observations are certainly
limited and racially oriented.

Ones ancestors geographical origins has nothing to do with whether one can play
a saxophone or not.

Wade

FSUdrsax

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
>...or jewish?

Stan Getz was Jewish and he was a genius. I'm an Irish Catholic and I suck.
Man, I wish I was Jewish. Then I'd be good, right?

I can't believe we're all responding to this thread. I think it's safe to say
that you can find great sax players and people who suck in every ethnic group.

Bob & Liz Fowler

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
No I never noticed it because it isn't true...

Anyway, I once heard the Bandmaster of an Army Band I played in (who shall
remain nameless), say to one of the female sax players "White chicks can't
play jazz" THAT raised the biggest shit-storm you EVER saw! BTW - She was
(and is) a VERY good player.

--
õ¿ó

Bob Fowler
sax...@superlink.net
http://mars.superlink.net/saxman

Fred Becker

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
Stan Getz was Jewish.

--
Regards: Fred Becker

"When in doubt... FAKE IT!"

Jeff Willis <jeffrw...@uswestmail.net> wrote in message

> Excuse me, but I have to EXTREMELY DISAGREE(as Im sure many others will),

> and I will add that many a "good" sax player has been white and not
Jewish.

> I dont even know where to begin. I could name a zillion sax players who
are
> white and not Jewish, and are "good", but I will just say a few : Stan
Getz,
> Ronnie Cuber, Lennie Pickett, Dave Sanborn, Eric Marienthal, Bob Mintzer,
> Ernie Watts, etc.... the list goes on forever but Im sure other people
will
> add to this list. You may consider changing your views on race affecting
> sax players ability on the instrument.
> Jeff

Fred Becker

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
All great sax players were Italian.

--
Regards: Fred Becker

"When in doubt... FAKE IT!"

jlc...@my-deja.com

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99

horn...@aol.com (HornySax) wrote:
> Any famous Asian sax players?

How about Jeff Kashiwa, Michael Paulo and Sadao Watanabe? Or that
avant-garde player named Francis Wong?

Jeff (not Kashiwa)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

saxk...@aol.com

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
In article <7qu1tq$h...@enews5.newsguy.com>,
"Fred Becker" <fbe...@i-is.com> wrote:
> Stan Getz was Jewish.

> --
> Regards: Fred Becker
>
> "When in doubt... FAKE IT!"

Eric Marienthal and Bob Mintzer may be as well.

> Jeff Willis <jeffrw...@uswestmail.net> wrote in message
> > Excuse me, but I have to EXTREMELY DISAGREE(as Im sure many others
will),
> > and I will add that many a "good" sax player has been white and not
> Jewish.
> > I dont even know where to begin. I could name a zillion sax
players who
> are
> > white and not Jewish, and are "good", but I will just say a few :
Stan
> Getz,
> > Ronnie Cuber, Lennie Pickett, Dave Sanborn, Eric Marienthal, Bob
Mintzer,
> > Ernie Watts, etc.... the list goes on forever but Im sure other
people
> will
> > add to this list. You may consider changing your views on race
affecting
> > sax players ability on the instrument.
> > Jeff

> > Mack <b_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish
or
> > Black.
> > > Anyone notice this too?
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > PS I'm not racist

Joe Ramirez

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
jlc...@my-deja.com wrote:

> horn...@aol.com (HornySax) wrote:
>> Any famous Asian sax players?
>

>How about Jeff Kashiwa, Michael Paulo and Sadao Watanabe? Or that
>avant-garde player named Francis Wong?

I highly recommend Sadao's 1977 *Bird of Paradise* album, if you're
lucky enough to find a copy. It's a red-hot treatment (all acoustic)
of Charlie Parker standards.

Another player is classical saxophonist Kenneth Tse.

Joe Ramirez

Andy Harman

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:06:45 -0700, "Mack" <b_b...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>PS I'm not racist

That ranks right up there with email starting out "this is not
SPAM"...

Andy

Please reply to aharman at hhcustom dot com
Visit the RPM Web Page at http://www.rpmrail.org
Or my personal site at http://www.hhcustom.com/nspmg

Jamie O

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99

>Ones ancestors geographical origins has nothing to do with whether one can
>play
>a saxophone or not.

Of course it makes a difference: if you're born somewhere with a great
jazz/blues culture, like New Orleans or somewhere, you're more likely to take
up the sax than if you're born into some convent in Tibet, yes?
~ Jamie

CEC0000001

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
DAMN I am just a white boy so I guess I better sell all the sax stuff and
forget it whats the use!!!

Wade Johnson

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
<<
Of course it makes a difference: >>

You missed the point.....yo mama and daddy don't count when it comes to making
jazz, Jamie. It's you.

Why did I bother? It's better to just read the underwear posts and forget the
music.

Wade

Malcolm Tattersall

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Mack wrote:

> It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
> Anyone notice this too?
> Thanks
>
> PS I'm not racist

If you (1) noticed it and (2) commented on it you (1) are racist and
(2) are saying so.
If you don't sign such a message, you are showing that you don't want to
be known to hold the opinions you reveal: you're a coward or a hypocrite
as well.
I don't like your opinions.

Malcolm Tattersall

Paul Lindemeyer

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99

Yeah, your underwear has much more of a bearing on your playing than
your ethnicity. Unless you're some folkie or something (do they even
*wear* underwear?).

--

Paul Lindemeyer <pau...@cyburban.com>
CELEBRATING THE SAXOPHONE: The Book

HornySax

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Are there any famous pro midget (heigh impaired?) saxplayers? Or any famous
sax players with disabilities (besides me and my crippling mental
disability....)?

B.B. Bean

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Well, I'm circumcised, and recently got e-mail welcoming me to the
who's who of African American,so I must be a hell of a player!

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:06:45 -0700, Mack wrote:

>It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
>Anyone notice this too?
>Thanks
>
>PS I'm not racist

-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel bbb...@beancotton.com
Peach Orchard, MO http://www.beancotton.com/bbbean.shtml

The Martin

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
I'm buying :-) (Thinking of using some shoepolish, or having a nose job)

CEC0000001 <cec00...@aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
19990905163712...@ng-bk1.aol.com...

The Martin

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

HornySax <horn...@aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
19990907063954...@ng-fp1.aol.com...
Well... Roland Kirk was blind I think

Brandy S

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Wait .....wait......no...wait.........WHO CARES? If you can play you can
play......Geez people come on.....
I think I'd prefer to read about underwear too :)

Brandy
reply to: suthern...@yahoo.com
"Practice safe sax, use a neckstrap."

Charly

Sep 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/29/99

Brandy S schrieb:

Interesting question, but:
who cares? if a player is black or white or from planet mars... the only
important criterion is his music...
by the way: the worlds best player would be a black jewish :o)
greetings from austria
charles

don and amy

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Hmm, David Sanborn, Tom Scott, Gato Barbieri, Kenny G (I know he is cheezy,
but the man can play), Phil Woods, John Klemmer, Sadeo Watanabe, Paquito
D'Rivera, Jan Gaberek, Paul Winter, and others come to mind. I don't think
they are black; are they all jewish?

HonKitO

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Badass! Another person knows about gato. Anyone know what setup he runs
on tenor? I know that he runs #1 reeds (read iin article about his new
album after not releasing for 10 years "que pasa")

don and amy harris

Oct 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/1/99
Art Pepper, Paul Desmond, Gerry Bergonzi, Mark Russo, Eddie Daniels, and my
favoite "unknown" sax player, Chris Hunter (plays with Gil Evans and Michele
Camilo). O.k., so a lot of my favorites are not as fair as I, the above
list gives me hope.

don and amy harris

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Is it good?

David Blumberg

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Woods is Black, Sanborn I don't think is Jewish. Watanabe, is not Cohen
either, nor Rivera. Hmmm, almost makes me wonder if they are mostly Latin
American ;)

David Blumberg
pla...@mytempo.com
Boosey & Hawkes - Rico Corp Grand Concert Artist
http://www.mytempo.com Accompaniments for Woodwind Players Custom Tempo
on Audio CD - Over 250 Pieces

don and amy <sludg...@msn.com> wrote in message

B.B. Bean

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Every sax player I know has an ethnicity. Problem solved - we're all
ethnic.

BB

don and amy

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99

Roberto Delpiano

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
You mean he's not known in the US? IIIIH!

From the picture on the "qué pasa" CD it looks like he plays a Mark VII
(unless the picture has nothing to do, but would you put somebody else's sax
on your CD? Very unlikely)
Roberto

Steve Carmichael

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
Oh no......i think i'm multi ethnic. this means on some days i play
better than others.
Steve, Stephano, Etiene, Steven, whatever you want to call me.

don and amy

Oct 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/2/99
There is a movie about an aspiring blues band in Ireland called the
"Commitments" (name of the movie and the band). Everytime I see that movie
a laugh at the scene with this Irish kid, with black hair, (Irish people
with black hair are sometimes called "black" in Ireland). He blows a few
notes and says in his Irish accent: "Sing it out loud, I'm black and I'm
proud."

nachum.jazzman...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2013, 1:47:41 PM9/2/13
On Saturday, September 4, 1999 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, Mack wrote:
> It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
> Anyone notice this too?
> Thanks
>
> PS I'm not racist

Frankly, the statement makes no sense: the American jazz including various schools
  of saxophone playing is a co-production those. who emigrated to America, or was brought by force: there are African-Americans, Italians, Irish, Hispanics, Jews, and each has made to jazz something of their culture, for which are all deserve thanks.

gavinandpa...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 6:13:34 AM8/19/17
Yes, I usually check the ethnicity of players if it's not clear. Most look White but are actually Jewish. The higher % are Jewish by birth but don't necessary practice Judaism.

sysman...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2017, 9:28:07 PM9/23/17
On Saturday, September 4, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Mack wrote:
> It seems to me that all of the good sax players are either Jewish or Black.
> Anyone notice this too?
> Thanks
>
> PS I'm not racist

I read some of the emotional posts below and I'm sad to inform the writer that he is indeed wrong. I know Michael Brecker was Jewish and I know that Bob Mintzer is also jewish. I'm almost sure that Eric Marienthal is also jewish.

I'm not a racist either and I do notice the unbalanced proportion of professional jewish musicians. At only 3-4% of the population, it is unusual to say the least that the percentage of jews in music is much higher than that. Seems that its at least 50 percent at times.

Jews help one another and bypass the goyim and that is the reason for the skewed percentages. It is untrue that jews are "just better at whatever " ...

Daniel Vilenchik

Feb 12, 2024, 2:01:07 PMFeb 12
On Sunday, September 5, 1999 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Ulrich Lang wrote:
> Is Michael Brecker black?
nope he's jewish