OAC: Kelly McMichael -- Waves

David Dalton

Dec 29, 2021, 9:57:21 PM12/29/21
Tonight I listened to the only CD I got for Christmas, the album
Waves by Kelly McMichael. All ten tracks are strong but my
current top four favourites are (3) Stepping Stone, (2) Out the
Window, (7) I Won't Stop, and (8) Montreal. I'll write a longer
review after a few more listens. Check her out on her bandcamp
page at https://kellymcmichael.bandcamp.com/album/waves
where you can stream the tracks. Merchandise is also available,
including a digital album for C$10, a CD for C$15, an LP for
C$30, two cool t-shirts that are each C$20, and a tote bag
that is C$15. All of those last six physical items include the
digital album for free. (And note that C$1 is currently US$0.78.)

“‘Oh, love is new/I'm face and eyes into you/Oh, love is here/
I'll be face and eyes into you/For years and years" (Colleen Power)

David Dalton

Dec 29, 2021, 10:27:37 PM12/29/21
On Dec 29, 2021, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.277D579002...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> Tonight I listened to the only CD I got for Christmas, the album
> Waves by Kelly McMichael. All ten tracks are strong but my
> current top four favourites are (3) Stepping Stone, (2) Out the
> Window, (7) I Won't Stop, and (8) Montreal. I'll write a longer
> review after a few more listens. Check her out on her bandcamp
> page at https://kellymcmichael.bandcamp.com/album/waves
> where you can stream the tracks. Merchandise is also available,
> including a digital album for C$10, a CD for C$15, an LP for
> C$30, two cool t-shirts that are each C$20, and a tote bag
> that is C$15. All of those last six

oops, five

> physical items include the
> digital album for free. (And note that C$1 is currently US$0.78.)

If you search for her name on YouTube you will find a
music video for Out the Window and I think two or
three live videos of Stepping Stone. I wonder if
Sarah has ever been used as a stepping stone?

David Dalton

Jan 2, 2022, 12:05:04 AM1/2/22
On Dec 29, 2021, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.277D579002...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> Tonight I listened to the only CD I got for Christmas, the album
> Waves by Kelly McMichael. All ten tracks are strong but my
> current top four favourites are (3) Stepping Stone, (2) Out the
> Window, (7) I Won't Stop, and (8) Montreal. I'll write a longer
> review after a few more listens. Check her out on her bandcamp
> page at https://kellymcmichael.bandcamp.com/album/waves
> where you can stream the tracks. Merchandise is also available,
> including a digital album for C$10, a CD for C$15, an LP for
> C$30, two cool t-shirts that are each C$20, and a tote bag
> that is C$15. All of those last six physical items include the
> digital album for free. (And note that C$1 is currently US$0.78.)

The East Magazine recently posted their top 100 songs of 2021
from The Atlantic Provinces of Canada, and Out the Window
is number 7 and Stepping Stone is number 1. You can read
their short reviews of those two songs at
https://www.theeastmag.com/2021/12/30/the-best-music-of-2021/4/

“‘Then you saw me from the cathedral/Well I'm an ancient heart/Yes, you
saw me from the cathedral/And here we are just falling apart" (T. Tikaram)

David Dalton

Jul 22, 2022, 11:01:40 PM7/22/22
She won some Music NL awards (for Newfoundland and Labrador)
and later some East Coast Music Awards (for the four Atlantic
provinces) and I don't know if she is eligible for the
Junos (for Canada) next year. And she recently found out
that her album has been shortlisted for the prestigious
Polaris Prize, a critic jury selection of the best album
of the year in Canada.

“Mary walks down to the water’s edge and there she hangs Her head to
find herself faded a shadow of what she once was" (Sarah McLachlan)

David Dalton

Aug 1, 2022, 1:41:50 PM8/1/22
There was a feature article on Kelly McMichael in todays
The Telegram, an article plus her answering 20 Questions,
and it is available at

https://tinyurl.com/2p8rbkp6