Rush ringtone

That Chilean Guy

Aug 31, 2008, 9:35:37 AM8/31/08
While everyone is going crazy with the new iPhone (which was made
available around here about a week ago) I just got a sony ericsson
that does exactly one thing: make and receive calls (well, and has
messaging, too).

So I get the choice of one (1) ringtone, which can be a mp3 file. I've
been looking for a good Rush clip to use as ringtone, but so far I'm
not quite convinced. I'm currently using a 20-second clip from LVS (I
think it's "monsters", from 5:49 to 6:10 IIRC) but it doesn't feel
quite right (plus the china cymbals sound quite harsh from the
cellphone speaker).

So, suggest away. Any segment from any song. (non-Rush songs can be
considered, too, but Rush has the 1st priority)

YYZ...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2008, 10:02:03 AM8/31/08

I used to have one that I made. I took a couple measures of YYZ. Just
as the band kicks in after the morse code section up to the main riff.

Another one I had was from SOR. From just after the intro up to just
before the vocals start.

My thinking was to grab parts without vocals that would loop well
since the phone will repeat it until you answer or it goes to vmail.

John Nichel

Aug 31, 2008, 10:30:31 AM8/31/08

I use multiple ringtones. "Blame Canada" (the part with 'and that bitch
Anne Murray too') plays when my wife calls from her cell, Cinderella's
"Coming Home" plays if the call is coming from my house. Green Day's
"Basket Case" ( 'Do you have the time to listen to me whine...') for my
boss and R.E.M.'s "It's The End Of The World" (chorus) for the office.
The theme for Sanford and Son for when my sister calls (long story) and
GnR's version of "Sympathy For The Devil" ('...or I'll lay your soul to
waste...') for my mother. The only Rush is for when a guy I work with
calls; he's an inspiring musician and all, so "Presentation" from "2112"
plays when he calls.

--
The opening riff of "Smoke on the Water" is my general ringtone.

BaldiePete

Aug 31, 2008, 12:35:11 PM8/31/08

"That Chilean Guy" <jago...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have the first 20 seconds or so of YYZ for text messages and the intro, up
to the vocals, of TSOR for voice calls.

BaldiePete
--
Insert Witty Comment Here

The Professor

Aug 31, 2008, 12:47:17 PM8/31/08
"BaldiePete" <baldiepete...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "That Chilean Guy" <jago...@gmail.com> wrote in message

@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com.
> ..

>> While everyone is going crazy with the new iPhone (which was made
>> available around here about a week ago) I just got a sony ericsson
>> that does exactly one thing: make and receive calls (well, and has
>> messaging, too).
>>
>> So I get the choice of one (1) ringtone, which can be a mp3 file.
>> I've been looking for a good Rush clip to use as ringtone, but so far
>> I'm not quite convinced. I'm currently using a 20-second clip from
>> LVS (I think it's "monsters", from 5:49 to 6:10 IIRC) but it doesn't
>> feel quite right (plus the china cymbals sound quite harsh from the
>> cellphone speaker).
>>
>> So, suggest away. Any segment from any song. (non-Rush songs can be
>> considered, too, but Rush has the 1st priority)
>

> I have the first 20 seconds or so of YYZ for text messages and the
> intro, up to the vocals, of TSOR for voice calls.

Prof dislikes ringtones.

The Professor (and he's not exactly sure why, either)

--
I am the center of my own cosmology.

norborder

Aug 31, 2008, 2:07:27 PM8/31/08
"The Professor" sayed:

> Prof dislikes ringtones.

IAWTP.

> The Professor (and he's not exactly sure why, either)

Because they're stupid as hell? ;)

The Professor

Aug 31, 2008, 2:22:18 PM8/31/08
"norborder" <norb...@bite.me> wrote in

Yeah, there is that. I actually think it's because cell phones going
off in public places are, or can be, annoying enough already. I don't
really need to also hear, normally at excessive volume, either how bad
your taste in music is or how weak your sense of humor is. I feel no
great desire to inflict Rush on unsuspecting publics (nor even The
Carpenters) and I really wish others would do the same with their
Charlie Daniels, their rap crap, or every senior citizen's clip from a
Beethoven symphony.

It's a kind of malignant narcissism to tell you the truth.

The Professor (just like people who have to be talking on their
Bluetooth loudly in public when it's *clearly* not a work or personal
emergency - we DO NOT FUCKING CARE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR UNINTERESTING
LIFE, ASSHOLE)

Rob nee Petard

Aug 31, 2008, 4:59:48 PM8/31/08
That Chilean Guy wrote:

> So, suggest away. Any segment from any song. (non-Rush songs can be
> considered, too, but Rush has the 1st priority)

The intro to Kid Gloves might be interesting.

Rob (!Petard)

BaldiePete

Aug 31, 2008, 5:58:09 PM8/31/08

"The Professor" <shor...@twcny.rr.comrade> wrote in message

> "norborder" <norb...@bite.me> wrote in
>
>> "The Professor" sayed:
>>
>>> Prof dislikes ringtones.
>>
>> IAWTP.
>>
>>> The Professor (and he's not exactly sure why, either)
>>
>> Because they're stupid as hell? ;)
>
> Yeah, there is that. I actually think it's because cell phones going
> off in public places are, or can be, annoying enough already. I don't
> really need to also hear, normally at excessive volume, either how bad
> your taste in music is or how weak your sense of humor is. I feel no
> great desire to inflict Rush on unsuspecting publics (nor even The
> Carpenters) and I really wish others would do the same with their
> Charlie Daniels, their rap crap, or every senior citizen's clip from a
> Beethoven symphony.
>
> It's a kind of malignant narcissism to tell you the truth.

It can be difficult to tell whose phone is ringing if you are in a crowded
situation. Having a unique ring tone makes it easier to tell when it is your
own phone that is ringing. If I hear Rush, I know it's my phone in almost
all social situations. The exception being on the tour last year. In the pub
before one of the gigs my phone went off and about six guys reached for
their phones.

So many people now use MP3 ringtones that a cow-orker has set her phone to
emulate a standard traditional landline ring tone from the days when all
phones sounded the same.

The Professor

Aug 31, 2008, 8:28:07 PM8/31/08

> It can be difficult to tell whose phone is ringing if you are in a
> crowded situation. Having a unique ring tone makes it easier to tell
> when it is your own phone that is ringing.

That's the best, and perhaps only, argument for ringtones. However, most
phones come with multiple built-in rings such that the odds of an identical
ring are fairly low.

I understand the need for a distinct ring, but there are ways to do that
(including the traditional bell-ring tone you mention) that are less
obnoxious than most ringtones.

The Professor (so saith The Prof)

--
"If you wait long enough, everything is eventually cool."

tsugaguy

Aug 31, 2008, 10:19:45 PM8/31/08
That Chilean Guy wrote:

> So, suggest away. Any segment from any song. (non-Rush songs can be
> considered, too, but Rush has the 1st priority)

I've always thought a few bars of Cygnus X-1 right as the ship is
beginning to be drawn into the black hole would be cool. I haven't
taken the time to use audicity or some other editor to make one yet.
It would start out subtle as to avoid startling anyone in the room or
wherever you are. "Cinema" by Yes is great that way too, my main ring.

I keep it on vibrate at work to avoid annoying old codgers.

That Chilean Guy

Sep 1, 2008, 9:20:03 AM9/1/08
On Aug 31, 8:28 pm, The Professor <shorw...@twcny.rr.comrade> wrote:
> "BaldiePete" <baldiepete1961NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote innews:6i0iffF...@mid.individual.net:

> > It can be difficult to tell whose phone is ringing if you are in a
> > crowded situation. Having a unique ring tone makes it easier to tell
> > when it is your own phone that is ringing.
>
> That's the best, and perhaps only, argument for ringtones.  However, most
> phones come with multiple built-in rings such that the odds of an identical
> ring are fairly low.
>
> I understand the need for a distinct ring, but there are ways to do that
> (including the traditional bell-ring tone you mention) that are less
> obnoxious than most ringtones.
>
> The Professor (so saith The Prof)

I'm running into a problem with my "Monsters" ringtone from LVS - my
wife thinks it's just radio and doesn't pick up my phone when I'm in
the can.

Mike

Sep 1, 2008, 9:32:51 AM9/1/08

Do like the Romans did. Hold audience whilst defacating. Well not on
the mobile phone but you get the picture.
"Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then Hnnnnnn press the D key whilst.. um hold
on HNNNNNNN <SPLASH> ahh... powering on the printer."

Dale Hicks

Sep 2, 2008, 1:19:36 AM9/2/08
In article <bf674b56-b980-41aa-b1d3-0eb2f7fed841
@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, jago...@gmail.com says...

> So, suggest away. Any segment from any song. (non-Rush songs can be
> considered, too, but Rush has the 1st priority)

Of the midi ones I used to have on an older phone, I thought that the
main guitar riff to "Temples of Syrinx" worked quite well.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

rush...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2018, 1:58:44 PM10/11/18
Use the main monkey business off of snakes and arrows, you will know which part when you hear it, about 1/4 to 1/3 way into the song