Who opened for Rush,who did THEY open for?

Chris Bush

Nov 4, 1994, 7:35:54 AM11/4/94
In article <cking4.25...@be0227.be.ford.com>,
Christopher King <cki...@be0227.be.ford.com> wrote:
:>In article <399bhg$5...@newsbf01.news.aol.com> rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps) writes:
:>>From: rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps)
:>>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY open for?
:>>Date: 2 Nov 1994 19:40:16 -0500
:>
:>>Eric Johnson was a good opener, but he did a better show when he headlined
:>>his own at a local bar here in town.
:>
:>>For my money, the best opener RUSH ever had was Marillion. There can be
:>>no denial.
:>
:>Except from the Detroit audience at Joe Louis Arena, who booed Marillion off
:>of the stage on the PoW tour...
:>
:>C.K.

Well, I'd agree that Marillion is the best opener since I first saw Rush
(Signals). Of the openers I've actually seen (John Butcher Axis, Marillion,
MSG, Primus), I thought Marillion was the most complementary match as an
opener for Rush. They were also the best sounding, most entertaining, etc.
I suppose that the fact that I was really into Marillion at the time makes
me a little biased. However, of the 4 openers I bothered to see, Marillion
is the only one I've ever purchased an album of. Anyway, the crowd in
Buffalo seemed generally receptive to them, if not actually familiar with
what they played (except Kayleigh). I seem to recall that Marillion used
some of the Buffalo show on a live release, so maybe I got lucky enough
to catch them on a night that even they thought was well done.

CEB++

warren kidd

Nov 4, 1994, 5:37:10 PM11/4/94
Chris Bush (cb...@lerc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: :>
: :>>For my money, the best opener RUSH ever had was Marillion. There can be
: :>>no denial.
: :>

: Well, I'd agree that Marillion is the best opener since I first saw Rush

: (Signals). Of the openers I've actually seen (John Butcher Axis, Marillion,
: MSG, Primus), I thought Marillion was the most complementary match as an
: opener for Rush. They were also the best sounding, most entertaining, etc.

Wow...I would love to see Marillion open for Rush...I'm not a huge fan,
but i like them and they do seem like the best match I've heard of, with
one exception...

Did anyone ever see Max Webster open for Rush?? This would HAVE to be the
all time concert. I, unfortunately, was too young at the time, and since
Kim Mitchell has taken off on his own career, he won't be opening for
them. Several friends saw the duo at Massey Hall...what I would consider
to be classic Rush moments, I'm sure. Imagine seeing Battlescar live...

Here in Canada they seem to get different openers than for the American
tours...normally up-and-coming Canadian bands. This makes for many
unmemorable opening acts, but I respect the gesture. I DO remember seeing
FM open for Rush, which won't mean much to most of you except that Ben
Mink (as in violin on "Losing It") is a member. Red Rider (Tom Cochrane)
opend the GUP tour. The only other name I remember is I Mother Earth from
the last show in Toronto, but I missed them.

--
Warren Kidd
School of International Affairs

Kent M. Willshire

Nov 3, 1994, 5:19:22 PM11/3/94
When I saw Candlebox open on the CP tour, they SUCKED!! Candlebox may
sound okay in the studio, but their live sound bites!

Christopher King

Nov 4, 1994, 6:31:05 PM11/4/94
In article <39d9ra$n...@bytor.lerc.nasa.gov> cb...@lerc.nasa.gov (Chris Bush) writes:
>From: cb...@lerc.nasa.gov (Chris Bush)

>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY open for?
>Date: 4 Nov 1994 07:35:54 -0500

>In article <cking4.25...@be0227.be.ford.com>,
>Christopher King <cki...@be0227.be.ford.com> wrote:
>:>In article <399bhg$5...@newsbf01.news.aol.com> rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps) writes:
>:>>From: rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps)
>:>>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY open for?
>:>>Date: 2 Nov 1994 19:40:16 -0500

>:>Except from the Detroit audience at Joe Louis Arena, who booed Marillion off
>:>of the stage on the PoW tour...
>:>
>:>C.K.

>Well, I'd agree that Marillion is the best opener since I first saw Rush
>(Signals). Of the openers I've actually seen (John Butcher Axis, Marillion,
>MSG, Primus), I thought Marillion was the most complementary match as an
>opener for Rush. They were also the best sounding, most entertaining, etc.
>I suppose that the fact that I was really into Marillion at the time makes
>me a little biased. However, of the 4 openers I bothered to see, Marillion
>is the only one I've ever purchased an album of. Anyway, the crowd in
>Buffalo seemed generally receptive to them, if not actually familiar with
>what they played (except Kayleigh). I seem to recall that Marillion used
>some of the Buffalo show on a live release, so maybe I got lucky enough
>to catch them on a night that even they thought was well done.

To me, they seemed like a pretty decent progressive-sounding band (I did
not have especially good seats for that show, so I had trouble hearing both
their performance as well as Rush's)... the audience just didn't seem to get
into them at all, though. Have a friend here at work who's nuts about 'em,
though.

We get some fairly partisan crowds up here in Car Town... :)

C.K.

Karsten Thamm

Nov 5, 1994, 4:33:12 AM11/5/94
In article <1994Oct22.151029.6387@kcvax1>, cApT. iNcOmPeTeNt writes:

> Just curious. What, in you all's opinion, are the best bands that have
> opened for Rush? What are the best bands that they have opened for? I know that
> they opened for KISS, which must have been quite a show. Give me your opinion
> or, please, post it.

The best band that opened for Rush was "FISH" (in germany, I think).

> -the Billman

-- MY FINAL SIGNATURE:(Gold Edition) wem das immer noch zu gross ist, dem ist
Karsten Thamm| Tel: +49-931-781942 Würzburg / Germany | ...nicht zu helfen
| E-Mail: gr...@stoned.mayn.sub.de \---------------------
(Grolo) | -- Mortallity garants us, not to be stuck on earth --
Favorite topics:AMIGA (Best Comp)/RUSH(Best Rockgroup)/FLYING(Cool Hobby)
ELECTRONICS(Another Cool Hobby)/SEX(Cool, but I 'aint enough experience)

David R. B. Walker

Nov 7, 1994, 10:54:52 AM11/7/94
I saw Rush on four tours.

Signals in Houston: Golden Earring. Drummer had the nerve to solo.
Power Windows in Austin: Steve Morse Band. The floor crowd in front of me
was into them.
Roll the Bones in Austin: Primus, missed them unfortunately.
Counterparts in Austin: Missed the opening act.
--
David Walker
Dept. of Chemical Engineering, UT-Austin

David R. B. Walker

Nov 7, 1994, 10:56:08 AM11/7/94
cki...@be0227.be.ford.com (Christopher King) wrote:

> >For my money, the best opener RUSH ever had was Marillion. There can be
> >no denial.
>

> Except from the Detroit audience at Joe Louis Arena, who booed Marillion off
> of the stage on the PoW tour...

I think Marillion's Real to Reel album shows Rush's name on a marquis.

Can anyone confirm this?

James Kokernak

Nov 7, 1994, 5:30:50 PM11/7/94
In article <06NOV94.01...@VM1.MCGILL.CA>, "..." <BLT...@MUSICB.MCGILL.CA> writes:
|> >The best band that opened for Rush was "FISH" (in germany, I think).

|> >.
|> Is that a definite for FISH, or was the band PHISH? I know the latter,
|> but if the show was in Germany, they could well have used a local band,
|> as was the case with CP. (In T.O. I Mother Earth opened. I didn't
|> see much of them, but I don't think I missed too much; the snare seemed
|> way too loud, IMHO.)

My guess is that the Fish that he is refering to is either Fish,
the original lead singer of Marrilion, or actually Marrilion, who
opened for Rush in the states on there (PW?) tour.

--Jim

J. Keith Wedinger

Nov 7, 1994, 6:56:39 PM11/7/94
In <drbw-071...@chegd19.che.utexas.edu>, dr...@mail.che.utexas.edu (David R. B. Walker) writes:
>In article <cking4.25...@be0227.be.ford.com>,
>cki...@be0227.be.ford.com (Christopher King) wrote:
>

>> >For my money, the best opener RUSH ever had was Marillion. There can be
>> >no denial.
>>
>> Except from the Detroit audience at Joe Louis Arena, who booed Marillion off
>> of the stage on the PoW tour...
>
>I think Marillion's Real to Reel album shows Rush's name on a marquis.

Actually, there is a Marillion EP called Brief Encounter that mentions on the
album cover's back...

"On February 27, 1986, Marillion begin their first major U.S. Tour in Buffalo, NY.
Having just completed a hugely successful European tour, the band comes to America
to perform as the specially-invited guest of RUSH, .... "

>Can anyone confirm this?
>
>--
>David Walker
>Dept. of Chemical Engineering, UT-Austin
>dr...@mail.che.utexas.edu

I have seen every Rush tour since Signals except for the Grace Under Pressure tour and
here is my take on best and worst openers:

Best: Marillion (by a WIDE margin).
Worst: John Butcher Axis...during the show, the lead guitarist dressed up like a Jimi
Hendrix clone states, "I'm going to play a little guitar for ya, I hope I don't
bore you". Sorry, you DID!!!

J. Keith Wedinger
bea...@ibm.net

RonAKaps

Nov 10, 1994, 10:30:14 PM11/10/94
In article <39m9qq$9...@usenet.rpi.edu>, kok...@vccnorth07.its.rpi.edu
(James Kokernak) writes:

...hey, this RPI graduate is pleased to see a note from a current RPI
student! Actually, I saw
RUSH at RPI during their Hold Your Fire tour. I also saw them a few
nights before that in Utica.
(I was some dedicated student, huh?) I honestly can't remember who opened
for them on that tour.

Finally, no one has mentioned the opener I saw here in Omaha on the
Signals tour. Wasn't it
Rory Gallagher?

RonA...@aol.com
RPI 1988 Aero Eng

Rick Pinkerton

Nov 15, 1994, 7:34:42 AM11/15/94
When I saw 'Hold Your Fire' in Pittsburgh I believe Tommy Shaw
opend the show. On the Signals tour it was Jon Butcher Axis in
Charleston, WV.

Keep Rockin'
Rich

--
The Blues is the soul, a sound smooth as silk or jagged as broken glas
never ending communication between player and listener.

DAM519

Dec 19, 1994, 1:25:18 PM12/19/94
In article <39uog6$n...@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps)
writes:

I have seen Rush 12 times and at least once each tour since Signals.

As far as the recent tour in which Candlebox opened, after hearing
comments that they suck, I must say, after buying their CD, I'd have to
say the sound system sucked more.

THE WORST match-up of the tours I have seen was the second leg of the
Power Windows tour at the Pacific Amphitheater in Orange County
California. The opening act was THE FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS! They were so
disliked by the crowd, they had food thrown at them. Then to add insult,
during some part of the Rush act, Geddy, Alex and Neil put on some outfits
pretending to be the Thunderbirds, making particular fun of the upright
bass.

Per Einarsson

Dec 21, 1994, 12:28:07 PM12/21/94
I read that Primus have opened for Rush.
I also read that Primus played the intro to YYZ on one of their EP's...

Pelle

NecromŽncer

Dec 20, 1994, 11:48:02 PM12/20/94
DAM519 (dam...@aol.com) wrote:
: In article <39uog6$n...@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, rona...@aol.com (RonAKaps)
: writes:

Well...I've seen Rush 4 times...I thought Candlebox was pretty good,
'course I like them before...

The worst I saw was Vinnie Moore...
I thought he was a great guitarist, but couldn't write a complete song,
just five minute solo's...I thought that was cool for the first five minutes.

--
Chris S Gauthier
c...@monadnock.keene.edu

Rhett527

Dec 21, 1994, 5:42:48 PM12/21/94
In my opinion, the best opening act was, by far, PRIMUS (Roll The Bones,
1991-92). As for who did THEY open for? Does anybody remember a glam
rock band called "KISS?" Check your records all the way back to 1975.

Question: Does anyone know where they got their first American exposure?

Chris Bush

Dec 22, 1994, 8:49:17 AM12/22/94
In article <3dbrjr$a...@delta.eng.umd.edu>,
Michael J. Finn <mf...@Glue.umd.edu> wrote:

>Has there been a worst opening band thread yet?

Yeah, several times, but it usually just boils down to "Candlebox sucked,
but Vinnie Moore sucked worse".

Michael J. Finn

Dec 22, 1994, 7:31:55 AM12/22/94
In college, we went to see Rush in Binghamton, NY (Power Windows, I
think (college was kind of a blur). No opening band was named, so we had
no idea what to expect. Once we got in and took our seats, we noticed a
bunch of Anvil cases marked 'BOC'. We all looked at each other in
disbelief: "Could it be?, Nah.." But it was, Blue Oyster Cult. What a
great surprise, and a great show too.

Has there been a worst opening band thread yet?

Mike

DannoC

Dec 22, 1994, 5:06:11 PM12/22/94

I've seen Rush three times (St. Louis):

Roll the Bones (1st leg): At the St. Louis Hockey Arena. Eric Johnson
opened, and he was AWESOME!

Roll the Bones (2nd leg): Riverport Amphitheater (outdoors). Mister Big
opened, and man did they suck.

Counterparts: Back at the Arena. Primus opened. So-so.

pax,
danno

NecromŽncer

Dec 26, 1994, 5:22:01 PM12/26/94
Rhett527 (rhet...@aol.com) wrote:
: In my opinion, the best opening act was, by far, PRIMUS (Roll The Bones,

: 1991-92). As for who did THEY open for? Does anybody remember a glam
: rock band called "KISS?" Check your records all the way back to 1975.

: Question: Does anyone know where they got their first American exposure?

Well...I know they got a ton of exposure from a Chicago (I think...)
radio station...don't remember which, tho...

tamb...@bobcat.merrimack.edu

Dec 24, 1994, 1:35:02 AM12/24/94

> danno

I saw them on the (something to do with rabbits) tour and mister big opened
up, I'll have to agree they sucked. although there eas was a hightlight.
The last song of hteri theri thier set was 'addicted to that rush' and
whaen the lead singer announced to thed audience " Hey Bostomn are U addicted
to Rush" we all stood asn and cheered our brains aout and then they left the
stage, thank god!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw again for counterparts and candlebox opened. They sucked too, but I
think half the audience was there for them, hope i don't get flamed for this.
But is it just seemed tere was more than average 14 yearolds than what you
would expect.

lam...@delphi.com

Dec 27, 1994, 9:08:19 PM12/27/94
Chris Bush <cb...@lerc.nasa.gov> writes:

>>Has there been a worst opening band thread yet?

Rory Gallagher, I think that's how its spelled, opened in Philly for the
Signals tour. Also, Camera Eye on this tour was killer.

Paul Blecha

Dec 29, 1994, 1:36:17 PM12/29/94
dan...@aol.com (DannoC) wrote:

>I've seen Rush three times (St. Louis):
>
>Roll the Bones (1st leg): At the St. Louis Hockey Arena. Eric Johnson
>opened, and he was AWESOME!
>
>Roll the Bones (2nd leg): Riverport Amphitheater (outdoors). Mister
Big
>opened, and man did they suck.
>
>Counterparts: Back at the Arena. Primus opened. So-so.
>
>pax,
>danno

I was at all three of these shows, and I very loudly concur with danno's
opinions. Primus was loud and obtrusive, Mr. Big is nothing but Billy
Sheehan (and I still like Geddy better), but Mr. Johnson ought to be
touring again and again.

-What you say about his company is
what you say about society.
PAUL BLECHA JCE...@prodigy.com

Robert Bell

Dec 30, 1994, 7:15:30 AM12/30/94
the only show iv'e seen was way back in'76 (i think?) in san
antonio, opening bands were alvin lee(ten years
later) and crack the sky, pretty sure it was
the farewell to kings tour. best show ive ever seen.

Robert Bell

Dec 30, 1994, 7:36:45 AM12/30/94
oooooooppps!!! correction!! not crack the sky!!! it was max
webster , and alvin lee that opened for rush on the farewell to
kings tour. i paid $ 9.00 back then, for the ticket!!!

Deven Roberts

Dec 30, 1994, 8:39:57 PM12/30/94
>Has there been a worst opening band thread yet?

I believe it was Power Windows, the (not so) Fabulous Thunderbirds, the
first time that I saw a band get boo'd off the stage.

I saw Mr. Big open twice, the first time they were really bad, the second
time they were OK.

-
D. Roberts YUN...@prodigy.com

RussDean

Jan 1, 1995, 10:39:00 PM1/1/95
I've seen Rush since the Power Windows tour, and suffered through some
brutal opening bands.

I think the worst had to be "The Steve Morse Band," which opened the
Worcester, MA Power Windows shows.

No votes either, though, for Mr. Big. They were horrendous. So was the
McAuley Schenker Group. Oh, man!!!

Russ Dean

FRASIER 27

Jan 3, 1995, 9:09:31 PM1/3/95
Have seen rush about 15 times can't remember them all , Primus by far
was the best Worst would go to Vinnie Moore, Followed by Fastway yes that
was long ago. Another band opened for them that sucked they had a fat
lead singer and a marginal hit with a song called Kayleigh who was that
sucky band? Let me know.

Frasier

Jody2112

Jan 5, 1995, 1:21:31 AM1/5/95
For me, by far the greatest opening band was Eric Johnson. I've seen Eric
six times in various settings, and he is - by far - the best rock
guitarist playing today. Fluid, dynamic, understated, blistering. Shit.
Pick an adjective. Stunning.

Jason C. Freedman

Jan 5, 1995, 5:47:17 PM1/5/95
The "lousy" band with a hit called Kaleigh (s.p?) was (and is)
called Marillion. They're kind of an early Genesis clone.

I was at one of the shows they opened for as well, (in
Cleveland). I can't remember the tour (Signals?). I didn't like
them at all (Marillion, that is) at the time, but I like some of
their disks quite a lot now. The group is still around, but the
lead singer quit (fish, I think?) and went it alone. I really no
little else.

My vote for best opener is either Eric Johnson or Steve Morse,
both excellent guitarists. I actually enjoyed Tommy Shaw,
because I'm an old Styx fan from my innocent youth, and it
brought back memories. Worst....god there have been many (I'll
keep the names secret to protect the innocent).

* "When afraid or when in doubt | Jason C. Freedman *
* Run in circles - Scream & | (An American in Paris) *
* Shout" - Heinlein | jason...@aol.com *

David Kramer

Jan 5, 1995, 9:37:52 PM1/5/95
In article <3ehstl$vb$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com> Jason C. Freedman <7205...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>From: Jason C. Freedman <7205...@CompuServe.COM>
>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY ..
>Date: 5 Jan 1995 22:47:17 GMT

>The "lousy" band with a hit called Kaleigh (s.p?) was (and is)
>called Marillion. They're kind of an early Genesis clone.

>I was at one of the shows they opened for as well, (in
>Cleveland). I can't remember the tour (Signals?). I didn't like
>them at all (Marillion, that is) at the time, but I like some of
>their disks quite a lot now. The group is still around, but the
>lead singer quit (fish, I think?) and went it alone. I really no
>little else.

I saw that tour in Philly (thanks for mentioning Marillion, 'cause it was
driving me nuts trying to remember the name). Anyway, for whatever reason,
the opening band was changed to Blue Oyster Cult. That was the best opening
band for Rush that I ever saw. Oh yeah, I think it may have been the Grace
Under Pressure Tour, not Signals?

David

Chris Bush

Jan 6, 1995, 7:18:42 AM1/6/95
In article <dkramer.1...@omni.voicenet.com>,

David Kramer <dkr...@omni.voicenet.com> wrote:
>In article <3ehstl$vb$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com> Jason C. Freedman <7205...@CompuServe.COM> writes:
>>From: Jason C. Freedman <7205...@CompuServe.COM>
>>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY ..
>>Date: 5 Jan 1995 22:47:17 GMT
>
>>The "lousy" band with a hit called Kaleigh (s.p?) was (and is)
>>called Marillion. They're kind of an early Genesis clone.
>
>>I was at one of the shows they opened for as well, (in
>>Cleveland). I can't remember the tour (Signals?). I didn't like
>
>I saw that tour in Philly (thanks for mentioning Marillion, 'cause it was
>driving me nuts trying to remember the name). Anyway, for whatever reason,
>the opening band was changed to Blue Oyster Cult. That was the best opening
>band for Rush that I ever saw. Oh yeah, I think it may have been the Grace
>Under Pressure Tour, not Signals?

Nope. Marillion opened on (part of) the Power Windows tour.

Alex A Goddard

Jan 6, 1995, 1:52:11 PM1/6/95
Chris Bush (cb...@lerc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: Nope. Marillion opened on (part of) the Power Windows tour.

Red Rider opened for Rush in Toronto on the PoW tour. I can't say who
opened State-side though.

Alex

John Poster

Jan 6, 1995, 8:33:25 PM1/6/95

My older brother saw Rush open for KISS in about 1976. I'm
am sure this is a widely known fact, but it was good family trivia
for me bacause I am a mucho Rush lover, and my big bro is not..

I agree Primus was the best, but also, Tommy Shaw when his
"Girls with Guns" album was hot. (Raleigh & Charlotte,N.C. 1986?)
Because... he sang alot of Styx tunes as well!!

The worse, was Johnny Thunder or something when I first
saw them in 1983 (Signals Tour) at the Hollywood Snortatorium in
S. Florida. They had to turn on the house lights because no-one
payed attention to the opening act. He finally got the jinx, and
shouted out "Hey, your all here to see RUSH right" and then played
a few notes of "Working Man" and the place went nuts, then he left :)

However, there have been many tours, and many opening acts,
so I definately can't judge them all. I have seen every tour since
Signals, some of them twice, but these have been mainly in the
South (Florida & N.C.)

Thomas F Henriksen

Jan 9, 1995, 12:22:14 AM1/9/95
I've seen Rush thrice, and here's my rankings of opening acts:

1. Tied for first, Eric Johnson and Primus. Wow. Umm, Wow. I'd like to
say wow twice please. Eric plays like no mortal, and he was deified the
night I saw him. He played a nice selection, most memorable moments were
Bristol Shore and Cliffs of Dover, and Zap wasn't too shabby. The guy is
error free. HAL 9000 all the way. Primus was beautiful. I thought I'd
cry, well, maybe not. What a together bunch of guys, real talent. The
rendition of Those Damn Blue Collar workers was breathtaking. Wow. Herb,
Les and Larry really have it together.

2. Blank.

3. Mr. Big. They didn't suck, and Billy Sheehan is an admirable bassist,
but the band was just Cheezy as hell. That's okay. From the looks of
what other folks have had to endure to see the boyz play, I did pretty well.

TomServo

David Kramer

Jan 5, 1995, 9:42:28 PM1/5/95
In article <3ejcf2$e...@bytor.lerc.nasa.gov> cb...@lerc.nasa.gov (Chris Bush) writes:
>From: cb...@lerc.nasa.gov (Chris Bush)

>Subject: Re: Who opened for Rush,who did THEY ..
>Date: 6 Jan 1995 07:18:42 -0500

Yes, that was the tour....Thanks! Blue Oyster Cult opened in Philly instead
of Marillion on that one. Thanks again for helping out on which tour it was.

David

News DZ9R

Jan 11, 1995, 5:43:35 PM1/11/95
Golden Earring opened for Rush on the Signals tour in Oklahoma City.
They had ahit - "Bullet hits the bone" that was great live. Their drummer
had a circular neon light in his bass drum and they played for quite a
while. They were the best openers I've seen.

Robb

Matthew L. Cookson

Jan 17, 1995, 8:01:12 PM1/17/95
News DZ9R (news...@aol.com) wrote:
: Golden Earring opened for Rush on the Signals tour in Oklahoma City.

: They had ahit - "Bullet hits the bone" that was great live. Their drummer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the title of this song was actually (ironically enough for this
group) "twilight zone" even though the phrase "bullet hits the
bone" is the refrain.
my favorite opening act for rush was steve morse back in `86(?)
although candlebox on the CP tour was also very good

mott

Brad Grace

Jan 19, 1995, 2:38:52 AM1/19/95
I was wondering how many of you think that Rush will actually get a
thought when the ballots go out when they are eligible for the Hall of
Fame. It will probably take a few years for them to make it in.

Ralph Bose

Jan 20, 1995, 2:34:40 PM1/20/95

In a previous posting, Aron Gamman (aron....@asacomp.com) writes:
> On 01-19-95, BRAD GRACE <Br...@ix.netcom.com> expressed:
>
> BG> I was wondering how many of you think that Rush will actually get a
> > thought when the ballots go out when they are eligible for the Hall of
> > Fame. It will probably take a few years for them to make it in.
>
> Well, _Rush_ was released in 1974, so they have until 1999 until
> they're elligable. I'm not sure, really. It depends on what other bands
> released their first albums that year. As big of a Rush fan as I am, I'm
> not sure they're get in on a first ballot.
>
> Anyone off hand know of any other important rock bands that released in
> '74? Queen's first was around that year, I think. They're a shoe in
> because Freddy Mercury died. They're deserve it obviously, too.

The "Hottest Band in the Land ...... KISS!!!" ahem... released their
debut album in 1974 as well... and, I believe, so did AC/DC ('74 Jailbreak)...

I think, IMHO, that all four (RUSH, Queen, KISS, and AC/DC) should get in
because they have had SO much influence on SO many other bands...

--
Yours, _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Ralph T. Bose _/Tel: (613) 236-4135 _/"The more that things change, _/

Nathanel J. Barlow

Jan 21, 1995, 12:01:45 PM1/21/95
Does anyone have the list of who is already in? I'd like to see one. Thanks.

Nate
RociNate -- w...@CMU.EDU * Red Sox, Patriots, Eagles, Celtics
-- nb...@andrew.cmu.edu * Bruins, Whalers, UConn, BC
|"I've got a bad feeling about this."|"Don't ask me, I'm just improvising"|
| --(Take your pick) | --Rush, _Presto_ |

Christopher King

Jan 24, 1995, 11:43:46 AM1/24/95
In article <D2pyD...@freenet.carleton.ca> ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Ralph Bose) writes:
>From: ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Ralph Bose)
>Subject: Re: RUSH IN ROCK 'N ROLL HALL
>Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 19:34:40 GMT

>The "Hottest Band in the Land ...... KISS!!!" ahem... released their
>debut album in 1974 as well... and, I believe, so did AC/DC ('74 Jailbreak)...

I'm inclined to think that the '74 Jailbreak album was _not_ actually released
in 1974... I think that this came out around 1980-84 or so, as a posthumous
Bon Scott release. Wasn't "High Voltage" the first US release (with other
albums only available in Europe and Austrailia), in 1976 or so...?

And '74 is only an EP, besides... :)

C.K. (amateur AC/DC historian)

RussDean

Jan 27, 1995, 1:35:23 PM1/27/95
Obviously, Rush should get into the Hall....however, I think it's
interesting when you look at past history and see how the band has been
rather snubbed outside of Canada in terms of participating in events that
guarantee mass exposure.

I couldn't believe they weren't part of Live Aid...for one. That's when I
really started to notice it. They've never played any real "big" festival
like the Amnesty Show in '86, even Donington, which is more "hard rock"
oriented, hasn't had Rush involved as far as I know...I could be wrong.

It's a tribute to the three of them to want to stay private....but it's
always amazed me that they haven't "gotten their due." Especially for a
band that's been around so long.

Let's hope the Hall doesn't write them off come 1999....we'll have to
dive-bomb them with letters!

Russ Dean

RussDean

Jan 27, 1995, 1:38:16 PM1/27/95
And in the "oh, by the way" category, I can't say KISS or AC/DC can
compare to Rush. Don't get me wrong, I like them both....but, let's see
it for what it is. As far as showbands, KISS has it, but as far as bands
showing what they have, Rush is way ahead (talentwise).

AC/DC is a different sound -- on an even plane definitely equal to Rush in
terms of longevity, in this instance it just comes down to preference.

Just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it.

Russ Dean

Horton Ray

Feb 6, 1995, 4:13:07 AM2/6/95
RussDean (russ...@aol.com) wrote:
: Obviously, Rush should get into the Hall....however, I think it's

: Russ Dean

I think one of the stipulations for being inducted into the R&R Hall of
Fame is that at least 25 years has elapsed since the release of your
first album. That's why groups like The Who, Led Zep, and The Doors,
all of whom predate Rush by quite a bit, have only been recently
inducted. The 1999 inductions aren't *that* far away :).
--Ray--

hj85...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2019, 10:16:49 PM8/17/19
Signals tour in Albuquerque, NM - Golden Earring was good they rocked the audience pretty good with their hit Twilight Zone in Tingley Coliseum.
Vapor Trails tour in Albuquerque - they had no opening act. Rush just came out opened the concert with Tom Sawyer which was awesome and then played for like 4 hours. Best concert ever at the outdoor concert pavilion.

Norbert

Aug 21, 2019, 7:51:26 AM8/21/19
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 10:16:49 PM UTC-4, hj85...@gmail.com wrote:
> Signals tour in Albuquerque, NM - Golden Earring was good they rocked the audience pretty good with their hit Twilight Zone in Tingley Coliseum.
> Vapor Trails tour in Albuquerque - they had no opening act. Rush just came out opened the concert with Tom Sawyer which was awesome and then played for like 4 hours. Best concert ever at the outdoor concert pavilion.

Most of the Rush opening acts I saw were rough to sit through. Candlebox (in '94, I think) were generic pop-metal-grunge. Mr. Big were generic arena-rock, albeit I think the guitarist used a power drill to create sound effects -- which was really...immature.

songbird

Aug 21, 2019, 12:05:40 PM8/21/19
i don't remember any of the opening acts of the concerts
i went to, but that was a long time ago (early 70s to 80)
and perhaps i, um, just forgot. :)

was just watching youtube vid yesterday of Alex showing
how to play Limelight.

youtube really just makes life great to watch some of the
boots and concerts that i could never have heard otherwise.

songbird

Norbert

Aug 21, 2019, 6:52:30 PM8/21/19
Yeah, the video of Alex explai ning Limelight was really great.

motom...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2020, 1:42:16 AM1/6/20
On Friday, December 30, 1994 at 7:39:57 PM UTC-6, Deven Roberts wrote:
> >Has there been a worst opening band thread yet?
>
> I believe it was Power Windows, the (not so) Fabulous Thunderbirds, the
> first time that I saw a band get boo'd off the stage.
>
> I saw Mr. Big open twice, the first time they were really bad, the second
> time they were OK.
> I was there My 19 1986,went awol from job corps too see it, I remember G.Lee saying a few words to the crowed when they came on to do their set,Niel did an amazing drum solo,not his best but still amazing
>
> -
> D. Roberts YUN...@prodigy.com

motom...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2020, 1:49:29 AM1/6/20

Kent

Jan 7, 2020, 12:11:21 PM1/7/20
I honestly didn't like their openings acts. I didn't see Primus. They might have been fun, even if they aren't songwriters; Les Claypool just sort of whines & chants over hippy-type grooves. They're like a bass-heavy version of the Grateful Dead. But they'd have been more entertaining than the generic arena rock I usually had the misfortune to sit through before Rush came on.

Nowadays, to judge from the caliber of posts I often see in AMR, Rush wouldn't have an opening act. They'd just show footage of Trump speeches.

The guys in Rush made it very clear they weren't fans of George "Dubya" Bush. Yet today people talk as if Rush preached an alt-right, anti-female, anti-female, and anti-Science message.

Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)

Jan 7, 2020, 5:24:48 PM1/7/20
In article <46eb39ab-b571-4179...@googlegroups.com>, Kent
<kyle...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I honestly didn't like their openings acts.

I've seen them a few times. The only time I saw them with an opening
act was with Golden Earring on the Signals tour (two nights back to
back).

> Nowadays, to judge from the caliber of posts I often see in AMR, Rush
> wouldn't have an opening act. They'd just show footage of Trump speeches.

I guess you mean the bullshit written here by that mentally ill troll.
There could be some interesting discussion here; his stuff might drive
some people away. I suggest we start some sensible discussion then
hopefully his posts will be just a small minority and people will ignore
them.

> The guys in Rush made it very clear they weren't fans of George "Dubya"
> Bush. Yet today people talk as if Rush preached an alt-right, anti-female,
> anti-female, and anti-Science message.

Nothing could be further from the truth. While Peart did have
libertarian leanings in the past (too far for my taste, but by no means
right-wing), some journalists got it wrong, even branding them a Nazi
band, to which Peart quipped "Right: we're the only Nazi band with a
Jewish bassist".

songbird

Jan 8, 2020, 11:23:47 AM1/8/20
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
> Nothing could be further from the truth. While Peart did have
> libertarian leanings in the past (too far for my taste, but by no means
> right-wing), some journalists got it wrong, even branding them a Nazi
> band, to which Peart quipped "Right: we're the only Nazi band with a
> Jewish bassist".

lol

songbird

williamf...@yahoo.com

Jan 9, 2020, 10:19:26 AM1/9/20
Criticism of theist superstition was a favorite theme for Neil in his books lyrics. The guys in Rush bashed Bush '41 in the early 90s. In 2015, Neil called George "Dubya" Bush an instrument of evil and observed that Rand Paul hated women & brown people. Alex said that he and his bandmates are "basically liberals." Geddy said while promoting MFH that if a god exists, he a spectacular underachiever. Neil said he supports the Democratic Party.

The idea that Rush were Neo-Cons was delusional. The more recent notion that they are Alt-Right is simply insane.

There have always been fringe fans who wanted to project their values onto Rush. But the right-wing, anti-science garbage is disgraceful and completely at odds with everything the band has been about.