Neil Peart or Carter Beauford, who's better?

Gryphon

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
complete as Peart.
Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
you.

'Yeah, that's just what this world needs: more "Big Al Days".'
H.R.H. King Lerxst, King of Shmengland 1985

zach gemmill

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
In article r...@ixnews2.ix.netcom.com, Skandrano...@Tower.of.Urtho (Gryphon) writes:
>Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
>lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
>band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
>hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
>computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
>complete as Peart.
>Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
>have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
>honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
>emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
>you.

Sean Reinert, formerly of Cynic (_Focus_) could waste them both.

Zach

Chris Geffel

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
I think Neil is the king, but nobody beats Rikki Rocket
Skandrano...@Tower.of.Urtho (Gryphon) wrote:

>Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
>lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
>band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
>hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
>computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
>complete as Peart.
>Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
>have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
>honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
>emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
>you.

>=================================================================================

>'Yeah, that's just what this world needs: more "Big Al Days".'
> H.R.H. King Lerxst, King of Shmengland 1985

************************************
Chris Geffel
Regional Operations Manager
Tri-State Technical Services, Inc.
http://www.tristate-tech.com

Kevin Teevan

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
Skandrano...@Tower.of.Urtho (Gryphon) wrote:

>Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
>have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
>honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
>emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
>you.

I have been a drummer for about 8 years, and naturally a huge Neil
Peart fan. Even though I can't say that Carter Beauford is as good or
better than Neil, I must say that Carter is awesome. Listen to the
live version of 'Ants Marching', and you'll see how good he is. The
ending of that song absolutely kicks.
I just haven't heard enough of him to think he's as good as Neil, give
him some time to see what he's all about. You also have to take into
account that they are in very different types of bands, so comparison
is hard to make...

Kevin

cs125 student

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96

: =================================================================================

: 'Yeah, that's just what this world needs: more "Big Al Days".'
: H.R.H. King Lerxst, King of Shmengland 1985

yeah, you'll hear from me alright> Saying who is a better drummer is like
asking who is the better actor, Arnold Scwarzenneger or Robin WIlliams?
Man, you suck shit dude. Look at Arnold, he'd fit perfectly in a role
requiring a strong guy...lots of violence, etc...you'd probably enjoy watching
a movie with him in it witht hat kind fo role. If robin williams was in that
kind of role, it would be totally lame. Just like Arnold would not work out
in Mrs. Doubtfire. Goddamn, why waste your time worrying about who the
fuck is better than who!?!?!? Just enjoy what they do and learn from each!?!?
GOddamn, you must be new to the drums.....

Kasia

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
Gryphon wrote:

> Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
> lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
> band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
> hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
> computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
> complete as Peart.
> Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
> have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
> honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
> emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
> you.

Here we go again. Stop comparing, start listening.

Kasia

Robert T. Crow

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
Hey Everybody!

I once heard that Rush did an album with Max Weinberg called
"Battlescar," and it supposedly JAMS! Has anyone heard it/have a copy
of it? It seems to be out of print....

Please mail me directly if you've got any info--this baby does a lot
of molecular modeling, and it's hard to log on sometimes....

"Now play it with flams."

BC

TREVEN C. IREY

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
I've seen Rush live five times and DMB once and have been plaing drums
for nine years and I have to say Carter has alittle edge on Neil. Neil
is a great rock drummer but he cant play jazz for shit. Have you heard
him in the Burnning for Buddy CD or seen the Buddy video? He cannot
groove! Carter used to be the house drummer for BET telivisions jazz
show. What makes him unique also is that he is ambedexterious! The
downside to Carter thoush is his age. He is not a new young hip
drummer. He is 37 and Neil is what 39? 40? Neil started off his career
with Rush when he was what 20? 22? So Carter is aliitle behind Neil in
that category. I think Neil has come up with some great fills but
Carter has a much deeper groove. Neil plays right in the middle of the
beat like Dave Weckl. Carter can lay back and play behind the beat,
like in blues and he can play on top, like in jazz. I hope somebody out
there agrees with me.

Cam Wilson

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96

man, are you trolling for flames... or are you serious?

--
Cam Wilson * ca...@bnr.ca * Illustrator * Graphic Designer
Rush * Yes * Max Webster * Dream Theater * Marillion

John Whyte

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Kasia <Baj...@iconn.net> wrote:
>Gryphon wrote:
>>
>> Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
>> lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
>> band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
>> hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
>> computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
>> complete as Peart.
>> Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
>> have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
>> honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
>> emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
>> you.

Well I know I shouldn't be doing this but.........
I'm just curious about your comment on Neil "relying" on
technology. What technology do you mean? Do you mean his
electric kit (ie sounds) or the fact that he uses head phones
to make sure he has the timing on their live sequenced stuff.
Carter Beauford is certainly an excellent drummer and I think
comparing the two on technique is pretty pointless since the
impact of their playing is not only in their technique. Neil
Peart for me (I am a guitar player) really opened my eyes to
the dramatic impact drums can have. But comparing these two
is like saying who's better Eddie Van Halen or Roy Clark and
then only judging how fast they can move the pick. (For those
of you who don't know or don't remember Roy Clark he is a
primarily country guitarist who used to be on Hee Haw but is
probably one of the fastest and best guitar players alive
today)
-Lefty

Mark

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
> "Robert T. Crow" <cr...@cbnmr.tamu.edu> writes:
> Hey Everybody!
>
> I once heard that Rush did an album with Max Weinberg called
> "Battlescar," and it supposedly JAMS! Has anyone heard it/have a copy
> of it? It seems to be out of print....
>
> Please mail me directly if you've got any info--this baby does a lot
> of molecular modeling, and it's hard to log on sometimes....
>
> "Now play it with flams."
>
> BC

*This* has got to be one of the most hilarious posts I think I have ever read.

Robert T. Crow

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
to Mark
Mark wrote:

> *This* has got to be one of the most hilarious posts I think I have ever read.

Thanks--I think.

BC

Robert T. Crow

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
to Mark

Robert T. Crow

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

cjve...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2015, 3:11:23 PM7/28/15
How are the anger management classes going?

dumd...@sbcglobal.net

Aug 13, 2015, 5:59:03 PM8/13/15
On Saturday, March 23, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Gryphon wrote:
> Who is the better drummer, Neil Peart or Carter Beauford? For all you
> lamers out there, Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews
> band. He is amazing, but is he as good as Neil? Neil relies more on
> hi-tech help these days, Beauford just rips away without any
> computerized help. Beauford is certainly as fast and technically
> complete as Peart.
> Neil is the King, but have you heard the Dave Matthews Band live? I
> have and was stunned at the artistic style of Carter Beauford. I want
> honest opinions from educated drum players and fans, I don't want
> emotional crap like 'Rush Rules', ' DMB Sucks', etc. Let's hear from
> you.
>
> =================================================================================
> 'Yeah, that's just what this world needs: more "Big Al Days".'
> H.R.H. King Lerxst, King of Shmengland 1985

What an unbelievably lame thread.

fendero...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2015, 8:08:50 PM8/18/15
Two words:
Ringo, motherfucker!

dumd...@sbcglobal.net

Mar 3, 2016, 5:19:50 PM3/3/16
Neal is the best drummer for Rush. Carter is the best for DMB.
That's it.
The art of drumming doesn't boil down the this link headed comparison.

Scall5

Mar 3, 2016, 6:44:18 PM3/3/16

<dumd...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Neal is the best drummer for Rush. Carter is the best for DMB.
> That's it.
> The art of drumming doesn't boil down the this link headed comparison.

Well stated.

And Keith Moon wouldn't have worked for Led Zeppelin while John Bonham
wouldn't have been the best drummer for The Who. Although both were friends
and from the same music scene in England.
--
Scall5