Grace Under Pressure - the most depressing Rush album?

瀏覽次數:18 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Jonathan Mock

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
I bought the remaster the other day - I didn't previously have it in my CD
colelction, only in vinyil.

Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
other day.

Great album (Body Elcetric aside), but put away any sharp objects!

--
Jonathan Mock

³Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice, and fear, walk hand in hand...²

Sghorwitz

John writes:

>Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
>depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
>year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
>other day.
>
>Great album (Body Elcetric aside), but put away any sharp objects!

Agreed Johnathan, and so does the band from what I've read. Almost all critics
think it's one of their worst albums. I disagree. It's not one of their best,
but it ain't their worst. It's certainly one that sticks out for its overall
greyness and negativity. I think one thing that Rush fans love about the band
is that their music is normally so open, optimistic and uplifting. Not GUP.
No way. A hard listen for sure.

What's most amazing is that despite its greyness, it still has the best
collection of Al solos on it anywhere. One right after another...

The Professor (who never did like Distant Early Warning all that much)

Erasmus Brown

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
GUP may be my favorite album - at least one of my favorites. DEW,
Afterimage, Enemy Within, Red Sector A, Between The Wheels. Oh, and I
like TBE too.

RedTide181

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
P/G is a great album...critics have usually panned it as the "worst" rush album
and sometimes as "technocrap"(as one book put it), It does seem darker than any
of their other albums put out, it has much of a harder edge, most of the songs
on it are in minor key...

yeah...@nunyadambeezwax.com

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
I remember reading in a book (visions perhaps?) that Neil remembers this
album as being the darkest in Rush's history. I find the album to be the
epitome of Rush in that it lyrically points out injustices, tragedies, and
inner-struggles. Rush has always been, IMHO, a protest band. Also, have
any of you fellow guitarists tried playing The Enemy Within? One of Alex's
toughest arpeggios.

Ken Taylor

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
I find it strange that some of you guys out there think GuP is a depressing
album, surely it's the closest thing to pop that they have ever produced? I
never take any notice of what critics have to say about Rush or their
albums, most of them don't even know who theyr'e talking about let alone
what.

My favourite track on GuP is Between the Wheels. Poor rabbit.

Damon Scott Hynes

未讀,
1998年8月22日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/22
收件者:
GUP was the first RUSH album I was 'up to speed' for; i.e., I knew it
was coming out and I was waiting for it. DEW was the first RUSH video
I'd seen, too.
After 'Subdivisions' and 'The Analog Kid', I knew they were on to
something that struck a chord with me, and I was excited as all hell to
see that impression reinforced by GUP.
Let's start a new thread: GUP has one of the best 1-2 punches ever --
DEW and Afterimage. What a way to start an album! I'd like everyone's
impressions?!?

--
***

The Marny Stanier Appreciation Society

Damon...@sprintmail.com , Midlands Chapter President

"When it didn't whistle for the station, I knew we were in trouble."

Rush2dog

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
GUP is a great album. Its got some of Alex's best work. And a great comeback
from the poorly sounding and mixed Signals (from Alex's presence point of
view). It was the first I bought on vinyl. I still have it and its in great
shape.

It seems to be lacking in depth but to hear those songs live (E2E comes to mind
:)) changes things. It's one of my all time fav's.

ninja.

tgarrett

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:

after moving pictures and permanent waves, my next most played album.
it contains a lot of depressing undertones i guess, war,death,doom,
fear,loneliness,the depression etc,but i like the way it"s done,the music
seems perfect to fit the themes of each song ,it certainly
deserves a closer listen. also look at the way alex bounced back after
signals. amazing guitar work there, probably some of his finest.

Paul40269

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
I agree with you. 1984 was a dark time. Threat of nuclear war, Reaganomics. I
think Rush was close to breaking up too. the album captured the that time.

Seth

Paul40269 wrote:

> I agree with you. 1984 was a dark time. Threat of nuclear war, Reaganomics. I
> think Rush was close to breaking up too. the album captured the that time.

I certainly agree. Even Neil mentions this in the P/G tour book...the
tough economic times...the unemployment rate..the number of wars going
on in the world. For me, it really showed the "empathetic" side of Rush,
and that "humanistic" view of everything. I love the way the album
ends...with Between the Wheels...all's you hear is just this slowly
fading droning synth and drum reverb. It's really kinda haunting, but
again, representative of the times. This album, to me, is like Presto in
a way, one of the more ignored Rush albums. I guess people prefer
banging their heads to "Tom Sawyer" rather then dealing with the
realities of death, environmental disaster, and war, like the songs on
P/G represent. Sad....because people are ignoring the reality of the
world around them.

Seth
--
City of Angels
http://members.tripod.com/~hopeflguy/index.html

"Have a drink. Get naked and party.
Here's to rational activity and the Blank Canvas.
Here's to us all.

Look Out! Elephant Crossing...."

Neil Peart, The Masked Rider, 1996

Beast of Bourbon

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:10:31 +0100, jonathan.m...@ukonline.co.uk
(Jonathan Mock) wrote:

>Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
>depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
>year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
>other day.
>
>Great album (Body Elcetric aside), but put away any sharp objects!

I *love* that song. I have a sharp object for you, allright. <g>

I agree with you, that GuP is a "dark" album. I also think it's a highly
underrated work, and as many others have said in the thread already, Alex ripped
some fantastic solos in it. I really liked the keyboard sound in it, as well...
not too cheesy, not too overambitious. Ged was funkin' out in "Red Lenses,"
too... fun to listen to. Lyrically, it's pretty apparent that Neil was getting
heavy duty things off his chest.

All these years later, "Between the Wheels" still finds a place in the mix tapes
I make for myself.

Brettindo

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
I just want to congratulate all of you for not trashing each other because some
of you liked the album, and others didn't.

This tread has been a real change from others on the merits of a particular
album or period.

Tolerance for different tastes. Most excellent.

I really like GUP as well.

Steve

From: sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz)

> Agreed Johnathan, and so does the band from what I've read. Almost all
> critics
> think it's one of their worst albums. I disagree. It's not one of their
> best,
> but it ain't their worst. It's certainly one that sticks out for its overall
> greyness and negativity. I think one thing that Rush fans love about the band
> is that their music is normally so open, optimistic and uplifting. Not GUP.
> No way. A hard listen for sure.
>
> What's most amazing is that despite its greyness, it still has the best
> collection of Al solos on it anywhere. One right after another...
>
> The Professor (who never did like Distant Early Warning all that much)

I didn't like GuP when it was released and its taken a few years to into
it. But I guess that's why I responded more to Power Windows - it was more
optimistic and broke the Rush mould of trying to record what they could
play live. I know a lot of people don't like Marathon, but for me it's so
un-Rush, you gotta love it. I also think PW was a major tunring point for
the band, a rebrith if you like.

Seth

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:

> From: sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz)
>
> > Agreed Johnathan, and so does the band from what I've read. Almost all
> > critics
> > think it's one of their worst albums. I disagree. It's not one of their
> > best,
> > but it ain't their worst. It's certainly one that sticks out for its overall
> > greyness and negativity. I think one thing that Rush fans love about the band
> > is that their music is normally so open, optimistic and uplifting. Not GUP.
> > No way. A hard listen for sure.
> >
> > What's most amazing is that despite its greyness, it still has the best
> > collection of Al solos on it anywhere. One right after another...
> >
> > The Professor (who never did like Distant Early Warning all that much)

Well...I sorta disagree Prof, as I believe this was part of what Rush
REALLY was about....the empathy..the compassion. The album is very much
about the concept of "pathos", and Neil has so many times expressed
this, yet everybody goes around thinking he is this "stuck up
ego-centric individualist". Look at all of the social and environmental
issues he deals with! (Especially in D.E.W....."No swimming in the heavy
water...no singing in the acid rain") I remember all of the concerns
about the ozone...greenhouse gases..etc...(and obviously they still
haven't gone away!) Rush DOES have a "social conscience" (Red Tide,
Nobody's Hero (as Neil mentioned taught him that homophobia was
completely WRONG!) BTW (one of my faves...."Hiding beneath the
sheets...got to try and fill the void..") Scars, Witch Hunt, Alien Shore
etc.
I really liked the idea that Neil felt this strong urge to somehow
"capture" the feelings of the world around him, and reflect upon
them.(As he says in P/G tourbook.."..the difficulties with high
unemployment, friends with many personal problems..). It's like Neil,
like Earnest Hemingway, has this ability to feel every single dimension
of what is happening in the world around him. As much as we think Neil
is "Mr. Bravado", don't forget, we are talking about a man here who
wrote the words..."Some are born to rule the world, to live their
fantasies; But Most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be;
Sadder still to watch it die then never to have known it.." As Thomas
Moore states, "Depression is essential to our being...without the
darkness, the sadness of Saturn, we would have nothing to compare the
abundant life on Earth to.." Anyways, it's late...I'm yappin
on....sorry..ttyl...

Chow

Peace

tgarrett

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
cool observation.it would be nice to keep it up.

Brettindo <bret...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199808230625...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

In article <35dfac52...@news.earthlink.net>,
loc...@NOSPAMearthlink.net wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:10:31 +0100, jonathan.m...@ukonline.co.uk
> (Jonathan Mock) wrote:
>
> >Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
> >depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
> >year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
> >other day.
> >
> >Great album (Body Elcetric aside), but put away any sharp objects!
>
> I *love* that song. I have a sharp object for you, allright. <g>

The video killed it for me. It was if Rush were still hanging on to their
70's sci-fi thing. It just felt contrived, but what the heck, I love
Marathon, who am I criticise!

> I agree with you, that GuP is a "dark" album. I also think it's a highly
> underrated work, and as many others have said in the thread already, Alex
ripped
> some fantastic solos in it. I really liked the keyboard sound in it, as
well...
> not too cheesy, not too overambitious. Ged was funkin' out in "Red Lenses,"
> too... fun to listen to. Lyrically, it's pretty apparent that Neil was
getting
> heavy duty things off his chest.
>
> All these years later, "Between the Wheels" still finds a place in the
mix tapes
> I make for myself.

The solo on Between the Wheels is so spontanious in it's sound, it's as if
Lifeson's guitar had finally found a release after the sytnh-dominated
Signals. Certainly it's a great album to jam along with.

Kerry Andrew Hansknecht

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
Chalk me up as another huge P/G fan. I don't listen to it too frequently
when I am borderline happy. Sometimes when I am really happy, but
usually when I am bummed. It doesn't make depression worse, it just kind
of acts like a companion, which can actually be uplifting. Maybe because
of the excellence of the music. Getting away from this angst junk...

This really is a great album. Aside from starting well, it finishes
perfectly. BtW is incredible. You could completely take away the words
and STILL know what it's theme is and empathize with it. That is what
art is all about. TEW is also unbelievable. It's also actually very
uplifting (and FUNKY). I have never ever disliked this album one iota.
Signals was a disappointment at first (or just a big shock), but not
P/G. Too bad I missed the tour. I had thought about going AWOL from
military school ("Prison") to see the show in Lakeland, FL. Prolly
should have.

KH

In article <01bdce23$c270ee00$8ae5869f@tgarrett>, tgar...@tinet.ie
says...

The Marny Stanier Appreciation Society writes:

>Let's start a new thread: GUP has one of the best 1-2 punches ever --
>DEW and Afterimage. What a way to start an album! I'd like everyone's
>impressions?!?

Actually, those are two of my least favorites on GUP. For 1-2 punches, I'll
take TSOR/Free Will any day. Man, is there another album in the universe that
opens with two barnburners like that?

The Professor (and Tom Sawyer/Red Barchetta and Subdivisions/Analog Kid ain't
bad either....)

Sghorwitz

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
Ya know something? After Natural Science made a return on the TFE tour, I've
been hoping for a return of The Camera Eye next time around (and there WILL be
a next time...). But I'd take a return of Between the Wheels as well.

Alex's best solo and perhaps the best electric guitar solo ever written.

The Professor (although Blackmore in live "Highway Star" might be better)

Sghorwitz

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
I wasn't saying that Neil doesn't have pathos or hasn't ever seen the negatives
around him. What I *do* think is that, despite the negativity of the world,
Neil's words and their music has always found the bright side and they've
always had some faith in humanity.

GUP is as close as they've ever sounded to losing that faith. It's not just
the depressing lyrical topics, but the songs in minor keys and the ominous
synth sounds. What saves it for me is the utterly UPLIFTING Al solo in BTW.
After 40 minutes of greyness, here comes Al like a big ray of sunshine and
takes us on a soaring musical rendition of the human spirit. What better way
to end a grey album, and a grey song, than with that big old ray of hope?
Redeems the whole album, imo.

And, for Johnathan, I agree that PoW was a real turning point. Lots of folks
smash it around here, but I think it is (other than TFE) their best post-MP
album. That will get me flamed!!!

The Professor (asbestos Fruit of the Loom in place....)

PMetz81646

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:
GUP has a special place in my heart. It was the first Rush album I actually
"bought". About a year before it's release I had been converted into a Rush
fan through listening to an old warped ATWAS album of my older brothers. To
this day it is the only Rush tape that I had to replace because I flat wore one
out. (I have them all on CD now, so that record will stand forever) Today I
view the album as the last Rush album before the sugar-coated period began
(PoW,HYF,Presto). Alex laid down the best group of guitar solos ever recorded
on this one. Between the Wheels is the best guitar solo ever recorded, hands
down, not worth arguing about. Sure it's a dark album, which is one thing I
really like about it, I don't need a whole spectrum of emotions on every album
to make it enjoyable. Lyrically, GUP has some highs and lows: Afterimage is a
masterpiece of emotion (suddenly you were gone from all the lives you left your
mark upon), as well as Red Sector A (shouting guards and smoking guns will cut
down the unlucky ones), but Neil fails with The Body Electric (androids on the
run). Overall, it's in the top half of Rush albums for me, maybe in the top 5.

sberrett

Sghorwitz wrote:

> And, for Johnathan, I agree that PoW was a real turning point. Lots of folks
> smash it around here, but I think it is (other than TFE) their best post-MP
> album.

Yes. PoW tagged me as a lifer for Rush.

I am in the camp of those who consider GUP their real *first* Rush
album, meaning I'd been "converted" in the year or two before its
release. It was the first new album that I knew was coming out and
waited anxiously for. GUP was my first Rush concert. I loved it and
played the living crap out of that thing. I bought the back catalog and
considered myself a big fan.

Now, when PoW was coming I REALLY was waiting this time. GuP impressed
the hell out of me, but this release floored me. The opening power
chords to the Big Money clenched it. This band was beyond great. Better
bury me with their CDs cause I'm taking it all with me! IMHO PoW is
their most balanced work ever. Everyone shines on every song in each of
their respective roles, guitar, keys, bass, lyrics, and vocals. The
frequency with which I play PoW anymore goes through stages. But I still
categorize it as my favorite Rush album. The one that did it to me - for
good. Here I am, double my age later still following their every move
like a teenager. My wife thinks its juvenille. She's right. But some
things are worth not acting your age over - the music created by these
men is one of them.
Slurpees are another.

-SB

Sghorwitz wrote:

> I wasn't saying that Neil doesn't have pathos or hasn't ever seen the negatives
> around him. What I *do* think is that, despite the negativity of the world,
> Neil's words and their music has always found the bright side and they've
> always had some faith in humanity.
>
> GUP is as close as they've ever sounded to losing that faith. It's not just
> the depressing lyrical topics, but the songs in minor keys and the ominous
> synth sounds. What saves it for me is the utterly UPLIFTING Al solo in BTW.
> After 40 minutes of greyness, here comes Al like a big ray of sunshine and
> takes us on a soaring musical rendition of the human spirit. What better way
> to end a grey album, and a grey song, than with that big old ray of hope?
> Redeems the whole album, imo.

Ya, I will definately agree Prof, that the Al solo in BtW is VERY
uplifting. In fact..somehow...I find that song really sums up what the
album is about, as far as the "mood" goes anyway. Its like, you have the
depressing verses, then these really powerful uplifting choruses. It's
like, even with all this pressure, we WILL find some grace. BTW, I've
got an article from (the now defunct) Music Express, published here in
Canada, in which Neil was saying the original artwork for the cover was
a picture of a persons hand reaching through a barbed wire fence to
grasp a flower.

As far as uplifting albums go, though, I found HYF to be THE most
positive Rush album, period. The videos even suggest that..look at the
Time Stand Still video...the guys floatin' around, Alex with his sweet
smile, doing their little dances; oh, and the beautiful nature scenery
behind them, that was just beautiful. And how much more uplifting then
Prime Mover can ya get????..heh. I always thought HYF was a
great...ummm...counterpart..pardon the pun..to P/G. I remember during
the T4E tour reading an article with Neil, where he was saying he had
just recently been listening to HYF, and thought that that was one of
their most "definitive" albums. I strongly agree, but hey, I guess
everybody's got their own little personal reasons for liking an album.

Anyways, chow mein...

Big Dawgie

未讀,
1998年8月23日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/23
收件者:

>Hey look, I'm a college professor - role model to drunk 18 year olds and
author
>of Very Important Books and Articles, but all of a sudden I'm 18 again when
it
>comes to Rush.
>
>Thanks guys - for keeping us young.
>
>The Professor (we are young...wandering the face of the earth...)

I try to keep a lid on it in public but I do have a picture of the Geddy Lee
sig bass pinned by my desk at work. It's low-profile, in a spot where only I
can see it. (I hope). When things get crappy at work I glance over at it and
think nice thoughts. LOL.

Sghorwitz wrote:

> Seth writes:
>

> I like HYF a lot too. Not quite as consistent as PoW (if they'd stayed to 8
> songs it would have been), but excellent nonetheless. I never thought of it as
> a happy album - too many Peartian warnings about letting one's instincts run
> wild.

Heh...hey Prof.

One more little story to add about HyF. I still remember being a naive
young man eating in a Chinese Food Restaurant (sounds like a Seinfeld
episode, eh??..heh)...and asking the waiter (who looked like a person of
Chinese descent), if he had ever heard of the sacred mountain Tai
Shan!!!!HAAAAH! It was kinda cool though, because he sat down and told
my g/f and I all about Tai Shan! So, I stole one of those cheesy "drink
list place mats" for memorabilia's sake. Heh...

Seth.....(Falling off the top of the mountain!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!)

Sghorwitz

未讀,
1998年8月24日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/24
收件者:
sberret writes:

>Here I am, double my age later still following their every move
>like a teenager. My wife thinks its juvenille. She's right. But some
>things are worth not acting your age over - the music created by these
>men is one of them.
>Slurpees are another.

Agreed on both counts!!

Seth writes:

>BTW, I've
>got an article from (the now defunct) Music Express, published here in
>Canada, in which Neil was saying the original artwork for the cover was
>a picture of a persons hand reaching through a barbed wire fence to
>grasp a flower.

Never heard that before. That would have been cool and is a nice metaphor for
the lyrical themes of the album. Thanks!

>As far as uplifting albums go, though, I found HYF to be THE most
>positive Rush album, period. The videos even suggest that..look at the
>Time Stand Still video...the guys floatin' around, Alex with his sweet
>smile, doing their little dances; oh, and the beautiful nature scenery
>behind them, that was just beautiful. And how much more uplifting then
>Prime Mover can ya get????..heh. I always thought HYF was a
>great...ummm...counterpart..pardon the pun..to P/G.

I like HYF a lot too. Not quite as consistent as PoW (if they'd stayed to 8

songs it would have been), but excellent nonetheless. I never thought of it as
a happy album - too many Peartian warnings about letting one's instincts run

wild. I actually think TFE is perhaps their happiest album. Totem, Dog Years,
Half the World, and TCOR all have a real major chord lilt to them.

>I remember during
>the T4E tour reading an article with Neil, where he was saying he had
>just recently been listening to HYF, and thought that that was one of
>their most "definitive" albums. I strongly agree, but hey, I guess
>everybody's got their own little personal reasons for liking an album.

Even at the time, they saw it as a "plateau" album, like MP and TFE. I agree.
And as much as I like it, I'm glad they began to ease off on the synths and get
back to a three piece rock band.

The Professor (in a driving rain of redemption...)

Cecrle

sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz) wrote:
>sberret writes:
>
>>Here I am, double my age later still following their every move
>>like a teenager. My wife thinks its juvenille. She's right. But some
>>things are worth not acting your age over - the music created by these
>>men is one of them.
>>Slurpees are another.
>
>Agreed on both counts!!
>
>Hey look, I'm a college professor - role model to drunk 18 year olds and author
>of Very Important Books and Articles, but all of a sudden I'm 18 again when it
>comes to Rush.
>
>Thanks guys - for keeping us young.

I catch your point, Prof--but actually, I think Rush induces adult
behavior in "kids" more than it induces childlike behavior in adults!
Just a peanut-buttery thought from a graham-crackery kid.

-FC

On 23 Aug 1998 14:08:20 GMT, sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz) wrote:

>The Marny Stanier Appreciation Society writes:
>
>>Let's start a new thread: GUP has one of the best 1-2 punches ever --
>>DEW and Afterimage. What a way to start an album! I'd like everyone's
>>impressions?!?
>
>Actually, those are two of my least favorites on GUP. For 1-2 punches, I'll
>take TSOR/Free Will any day. Man, is there another album in the universe that
>opens with two barnburners like that?

Yeah, the fourth album (self-titled) by King's X... opens with "The World Around
Me," and "Prisoner." They have the same effect on me that "The Spirit of Radio"
and "Free Will" do.

Alex Goddard

未讀,
1998年8月24日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/24
收件者:
On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:10:31 +0100, jonathan.m...@ukonline.co.uk (Jonathan Mock) wrote:

>Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
>depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
>year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
>other day.

Given Neil's recent tragedies, my guess is that Rush's next album will put
_p/g_ in a rather upbeat light, comparatively. Still, you're right on about
the mood of _p/g_. I recall a Toronto Star review of the album when it
came out that labelled the record "Gloom Rock".

Alex Goddard
"I shudder to think what would happen to education
if control ever fell into the hands of government."
- Mike Harris, dictator, hypocrite and former chair
of the Northern Ontario Trustees Association

Michael Bahr

Jonathan Mock wrote:
> Having not listened to it for a year or so, I was struck at how desolate,
> depressing even, the tone of the album is. I seem to remember 1984 (the
> year) as being such, but GuP never struck me as being as dark as it did the
> other day.

Very much so. The distinguishing marks of p/g have to be Between The
Wheels and Afterimage, two songs that you can just hear a hundred times
and still get a new vibe from the ominous overtones in Ged's voice every
time you listen. And the guitar work is just sublime... listen to what
Alex is doing behind Ged's "It's hard to believe but you know it's no
good... this is something that just can't be understood" (paraphrased).
The world was very gray during that time, there was tension at home and
abroad, technophobia was an issue, threats and uncertainty lingered over
an upcoming Olympics, Asia was in the throes of a fairly widespread
famine, and though the US economy was actually very strong coming off a
late-'82 burst, it was already on a decline that would reach critical
levels around 1989. Canada was in much worse shape during that time. I
was young then but I remember and I was later taught the stuff that
didn't register the first time. p/g thematically was very much a product
of its time, and should be listened to in that context.

--
- Mike Bahr - Wizard's Tower Gaming Center in Mesa, AZ (602-962-0151)
- http://www.goodnet.com/~emerald/ - Magic, AD&D, Battletech and more!

FC writes:

>I catch your point, Prof--but actually, I think Rush induces adult
>behavior in "kids" more than it induces childlike behavior in adults!

Actually, you may well be right Frank. How cool that a band can do both, eh?

The Professor (can you park at the Oak Park Park?)

Mike Bahr writes:

> though the US economy was actually very strong coming off a
>late-'82 burst, it was already on a decline that would reach critical
>levels around 1989.

While I agree with Mike's take on the album, this is just factually wrong.
There was no late 82 burst. The expansion began in 83 and lasted for 7 years
until the Bush-induced recession of 90-91. The 83-90 period was the longest
peacetime expansion in US history. The economy was not slowing down when GUP
was written, it was just taking off.

The Professor (hey, classes start in 3 days, gotta get in shape for the regular
season...)

tgarrett

未讀,
1998年8月24日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/24
收件者:
for us thirty somethings,It"s great to feel 18 again.

Sghorwitz <sgho...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199808241246...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Dan Iwerks

未讀,
1998年8月24日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/24
收件者:
Oh yeah, love that disc. Probably my favorite Rush disc just because it's
so tense. Love the way Afterimage and Between the Wheels start, nice and
sharp. Great tunes, great lyrics (mostly).

Though yeah, I could do without Distant Early Warning. Afterimage and
Between the Wheels are two of their best tunes and The Enemy Within is the
best of the Fear trilogy by far. Great album.
"Everything is funny, it just depends to whom."
Dan Iwerks <*> dan_i...@ncs.com

<199808231420...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> I wasn't saying that Neil doesn't have pathos or hasn't ever seen the
negatives
> around him. What I *do* think is that, despite the negativity of the
world,
> Neil's words and their music has always found the bright side and they've
> always had some faith in humanity.
>
> GUP is as close as they've ever sounded to losing that faith. It's not
just
> the depressing lyrical topics, but the songs in minor keys and the
ominous
> synth sounds. What saves it for me is the utterly UPLIFTING Al solo in
BTW.
> After 40 minutes of greyness, here comes Al like a big ray of sunshine
and
> takes us on a soaring musical rendition of the human spirit. What better
way
> to end a grey album, and a grey song, than with that big old ray of hope?

> Redeems the whole album, imo.
>

> The Professor (asbestos Fruit of the Loom in place....)

I guess I can't separate far enough from the lyrics of BtW to find the solo
uplifting. I find it very wonderful and intense, but, if anything
positive, I find it to be a "cleansing" intensity just because it's such a
great guitar kick at the end of the disc. As Alex is whipping along there
I get the impression of being in the car with all these depressing images
whipping by the window, the whole "images flashing by, like windshields
towards a fly" routine.

Regardless it's one of Rush's best. Don't find it uplifting, though.
Makes me want to bury my head in the sand for a few years.

John A. & Marianne Sievers

Big Dawgie wrote:

> >Hey look, I'm a college professor - role model to drunk 18 year olds and
> author
> >of Very Important Books and Articles, but all of a sudden I'm 18 again when
> it
> >comes to Rush.
> >
> >Thanks guys - for keeping us young.
> >
> >The Professor (we are young...wandering the face of the earth...)
>
> I try to keep a lid on it in public but I do have a picture of the Geddy Lee
> sig bass pinned by my desk at work. It's low-profile, in a spot where only I
> can see it. (I hope). When things get crappy at work I glance over at it and
> think nice thoughts. LOL.

I'll admit to having a picture of them showing off their Order of Canada
medals on my board at work.

ytse...@sprintmail.com

Jonathan Mock

未讀,
1998年8月25日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/25
收件者:
From: sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz)

> GUP is as close as they've ever sounded to losing that faith. It's not just
> the depressing lyrical topics, but the songs in minor keys and the ominous
> synth sounds. What saves it for me is the utterly UPLIFTING Al solo in BTW.
> After 40 minutes of greyness, here comes Al like a big ray of sunshine and
> takes us on a soaring musical rendition of the human spirit. What better way
> to end a grey album, and a grey song, than with that big old ray of hope?
> Redeems the whole album, imo.

That's it, that's it exactly! I could not have put it better myself.

> And, for Johnathan, I agree that PoW was a real turning point. Lots of folks
> smash it around here, but I think it is (other than TFE) their best post-MP

> album. That will get me flamed!!!

> The Professor (asbestos Fruit of the Loom in place....)

In don't see why, PoW is agreat album. It is perhaps the one Rush CD I play
the most. I just love the layered sound and the vocal harmonies.

From: sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz)

> The Marny Stanier Appreciation Society writes:
>
> >Let's start a new thread: GUP has one of the best 1-2 punches ever --
> >DEW and Afterimage. What a way to start an album! I'd like everyone's
> >impressions?!?
>
> Actually, those are two of my least favorites on GUP. For 1-2 punches, I'll
> take TSOR/Free Will any day. Man, is there another album in the universe that
> opens with two barnburners like that?
>

> The Professor (and Tom Sawyer/Red Barchetta and Subdivisions/Analog Kid ain't
> bad either....)

My vote for go for Counterparts with it's 1-2-3 of Animate/Stick it Out/Cut
to the Chase. It was an assualt on the senses!

Jonathan writes:

>My vote for go for Counterparts with it's 1-2-3 of Animate/Stick it Out/Cut
>to the Chase. It was an assualt on the senses!

Here comes more flame fodder: "Stick it Out" is the worst song Rush has
written in the last two albums. It ranks right down there with "Neurotica" and
"War Paint" in my least favorite pile.

So there. :)

The Professor (okay, so it has a rippin' guitar sound, so what?)

Dan Iwerks

未讀,
1998年8月25日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/25
收件者:

Sghorwitz <sgho...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199808252051...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

You do deserve to be flamed, because, as bad as "Stick It Out" is (and it
is real bad), "Between Sun and Moon" and "Speed of Love" are much, much
worse.

I have to give "Alien Shore" credit for the "You and me, we'd elect each
other president" tripe. Good otherwise, but geez, I just can't get past
that.

Sghorwitz wrote:

> Jonathan writes:
>
> >My vote for go for Counterparts with it's 1-2-3 of Animate/Stick it Out/Cut
> >to the Chase. It was an assualt on the senses!
>
> Here comes more flame fodder: "Stick it Out" is the worst song Rush has
> written in the last two albums. It ranks right down there with "Neurotica" and
> "War Paint" in my least favorite pile.
>
> So there. :)
>
> The Professor (okay, so it has a rippin' guitar sound, so what?)

I've always liked War Paint. It depends what day it is if I like
Neurotica.

I'd rank Stick It Out almost with The Speed Of Love and Carve Away The
Stone as the sediment of the last two. I adore the remainder so I guess
that's not a bad percentage.

I've always thought of Stick It Out as an ode to grunge that didn't quite
work. The video was even worse. I think the video was their worst of the
90's.

ytse...@sprintmail.com

Sghorwitz wrote:

> Jonathan writes:
>
> >My vote for go for Counterparts with it's 1-2-3 of Animate/Stick it Out/Cut
> >to the Chase. It was an assualt on the senses!
>
> Here comes more flame fodder: "Stick it Out" is the worst song Rush has
> written in the last two albums. It ranks right down there with "Neurotica" and
> "War Paint" in my least favorite pile.
>
> So there. :)
>
> The Professor (okay, so it has a rippin' guitar sound, so what?)

Well Prof....that means the WORLD to many of us. Actually...I'd put, as
Spin Magazine said when they rated the album, the first three tunes on
CP, Animate, Stick it Out, and Cut To The CHase, as the MOST POWERFUL,
INTENSE Rush songs EVER written. I especially dig the solo in
SiO...holly shit!! It's like somebody put a couple of pounds of speed in
Lerxt's coffee that day! That song could WRECK ANYBODY's sound system!
It's NICE AND UGLY, and I wish Rush would write more UGLY songs. Driven
is sorta there, but my vote STILL goes to Stick It Out. It's like, Rush
had finally started to become the TRUE power trio they should be. I
always thought that some of the more ugly music is most powerful. I was
always fond of the Finale from 2112 with the guy "offing"
himself..depressing, ugly..and very "jaring", as Alex said in an
interview once. Aggression is only part of human nature, and music is a
great way to express it. SiO does it, and I hope they write some more
"ugly" stuff in the future. I am sure there will be some of that on the
next Victor project. To me, it balances out all that fluffy "positive"
stuff, and makes Rush seem more down to earth, rather then a bunch of
knobs with their heads in the clouds.

When I first heard SiO, I nearly shit myself!!Rush had FINALLY puttin
the BALLS back into their music, especially after hearing something as
boring as You Bet Your Life....to me...the RtB album was a little to
"fluffy" and "up".! In Simple: it rips the fucking shit out of almost
any piece of music out there today! I think I wrecked a few stereos with
that tune!

Anyways, IMHO...

Seth

"..Brother can you spare..
Another war..
Another wasteland..
Another...Lost Generation.."

Neil Peart, Between The Wheels

mr._natural

未讀,
1998年8月26日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/26
收件者:
sberrett <sber...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Sghorwitz wrote:

>> And, for Johnathan, I agree that PoW was a real turning point. Lots of folks
>> smash it around here, but I think it is (other than TFE) their best post-MP
>> album.

>Yes. PoW tagged me as a lifer for Rush.

>I am in the camp of those who consider GUP their real *first* Rush
>album, meaning I'd been "converted" in the year or two before its
>release. It was the first new album that I knew was coming out and
>waited anxiously for. GUP was my first Rush concert. I loved it and
>played the living crap out of that thing. I bought the back catalog and
>considered myself a big fan.

>Now, when PoW was coming I REALLY was waiting this time. GuP impressed
>the hell out of me, but this release floored me. The opening power
>chords to the Big Money clenched it. This band was beyond great. Better
>bury me with their CDs cause I'm taking it all with me! IMHO PoW is
>their most balanced work ever. Everyone shines on every song in each of
>their respective roles, guitar, keys, bass, lyrics, and vocals. The
>frequency with which I play PoW anymore goes through stages. But I still
>categorize it as my favorite Rush album. The one that did it to me - for

>good. Here I am, double my age later still following their every move

>like a teenager. My wife thinks its juvenille. She's right. But some
>things are worth not acting your age over - the music created by these
>men is one of them.
>Slurpees are another.

>-SB

Amen, my brother.

Jonathan Mock

未讀,
1998年8月26日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/26
收件者:
I can't understand the negativity towards Stick it Out. I mean, here is a
riff-based song, heavy on bass and fuzz box, the complete antithesis of the
bright, almost pop-orientated Rush of the 80's. Dark, slightly ironic,
lyrics and acid-dipped vocals. It's a great song!

But then many don't like 'Dog Years' - oh hum!

Kent R. Summers

未讀,
1998年8月28日 凌晨3:00:001998/8/28
收件者:
sgho...@aol.com (Sghorwitz) wrote:

>Mike Bahr writes:

The professor is right. I'm not sure what the heck Mike was thinking
when he wrote that statement.

And at the risk of getting political, I would like to offer a slightly
different perspective of the professor's comment about the
"Bush-induced recession of 90-91": How about "The
democratic-controlled congress-induced recession of 90-91 in which
George Bush made the terrible mistake of going along with the idea of
raising taxes".

Kent

Kent wrote:

>And at the risk of getting political, I would like to offer a slightly
>different perspective of the professor's comment about the
>"Bush-induced recession of 90-91": How about "The
>democratic-controlled congress-induced recession of 90-91 in which
>George Bush made the terrible mistake of going along with the idea of
>raising taxes".

I like that even better! :) Right on target.

The Professor (revved up....)

DManton300

未讀,
1998年9月6日 凌晨3:00:001998/9/6
收件者:
Love GUP, and i think Afterimage is an amazing song! I only really like
the stuff RUSH recorded between '74 and '96 tho'<G>
regards
Drewe
Finally got my web page going! Find me at
http://members.aol.com/dmanton300/index.html
Currently playing:-
Runrig-Searchlight
RUSH-Test For Echo
RUSH- Grace Under Pressure (your fault Mr Mock!)

0 則新訊息