Red Devils/Blue Devils?

Tom Boxner

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Hey, guys and gals! Was hoping you could help me track down some info
about an old 80s 'billy band. They had a cut on a compilation LP called
L.A. ROCKABILLY. The name of the track was "Tearin' My Hair Out", and
the band featured a real kick-ass female vocalist. I believe the name of
the band was either The Red Devils or The Blue Devils. unfortunately, my
copy of the comp LP is in Massachusetts while I'm in Indiana. I'm
looking for any and all info on the band, and any recordings they may
have done besides Tearin' My Hair Out". Thanks in advance!

Not fade away,

Tom

~~~
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pit/1957/

Joshabilly

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98

The Blue Devils are a British neo-psycho band right now, maybe there was
aonther one...

Josh
CRUSH-----KILL-----DESTROY

DJbigJOHN3

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
hmmmm interesting.... The Blue Devils huh? I know of a current English band
with that name---but i gurantee thats not them!
DJ Big John

Tom Boxner

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
DJ Big John wrote:

Nope. This band was most definitely an American band. And I'm almost
sure that their name was The Red Devils. They, of course, were ~not~ the
blues band The Red Devils of the early 90s that featured Bill Bateman on
drums. The Red Devils that I'm speaking of had a female rockabilly
singer and were around L.A. sometime in the early 80s. I'm probably
trying to find a needle in a haystack, but what the hell, right? Thanks
again, people.

DJbigJOHN3

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
You may wanna post this on a message board in the Rockabilly Hall of
Fame----perhaps someone there will know!
DJ Big John

Merc50

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 11:02:41 -0500 (EST), tb...@webtv.net (Tom Boxner)
wrote:

Actually, the Red Devils who do the blues thing that had a live disc
in the mid 90's are more or less the remains of the old rockabilly Red
Devils on the LA compilation that Rhino did in the late 80's. In
fact, Scott Campbell of the Paladins played drums in that version of
the band, and Johnny Ray Bartell (sp?) was the bass player. Bartell
was also the bass player of the Red Devils who did the blues stuff,
and they became very popular with the hollywood set in the mid 90's
and even opend a Planet Hollywood or something as a major showpiece
gig right around the time the CD hit the streets IIRC. Seems like
they were also being presented as the first non rap band on Def Jam or
something also during that time, but its been a long time since I gave
it any thought.
C Ya,

Merc 50

Hickspanic

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
How can anyone talk about the Bill Bateman and Johnny Ray Bartel from the Red
Devils and not mention the awesome frontman of that group Lester Butler??
R.I.P. Lester.....
And if you were into that King King album be sure to look for the cd "13"
featuring Lester Butler.

Anchorman

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:44:19 -0500 (EST), tb...@webtv.net (Tom Boxner)
wrote:

>Hey, guys and gals! Was hoping you could help me track down some info

>about an old 80s 'billy band. They had a cut on a compilation LP called
>L.A. ROCKABILLY. The name of the track was "Tearin' My Hair Out", and
>the band featured a real kick-ass female vocalist. I believe the name of
>the band was either The Red Devils or The Blue Devils. unfortunately, my
>copy of the comp LP is in Massachusetts while I'm in Indiana. I'm
>looking for any and all info on the band, and any recordings they may
>have done besides Tearin' My Hair Out". Thanks in advance!

They are called the Red Devils. The vocals are by a gal named Emmy
Lee. Other members are Dave lee, Johnny Ray and Scott Campbell.
this track was produced by Billy Zoom

I probably have the same comp. as you have (different label probably)
I don't know anything else about the band, but at least we got the
name thing sorted out.

GreetingZ

Niels

Gonna Rock Gonna Roll
If goin' to heaven means giving up that
Then the devil can have my soul
(Paul Roman from the Quakes)

ndca...@multiweb.nl
Check out my Stray Cats site:
http://www.euronet.nl/users/ndlanker/index.htm

c. dean

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
There have been a few different blue devils, jazz, swing, rockabilly and
who knows what else, and it's the name of a sports team (what sport?-I
dunno) from duke university. I guess blue devils and red devils are catchy
generic names that will be used many times till one group gets popular
enough to lay claim to it once and for all.

--
to reply via e-mail, remove "nospam" from my address

Daniel Cooke

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
to Merc50
I happened to see the Red Devils that we are talking about.  It was at the Roxy (sure to have been pre-King King days).  They opened up for X at the Roxy.  I would say that the year was about 1982 or 1983.  X played a five night sold out engagement.  Very good bands!

Yes, I think that Bill Bateman was in the band.  The pretty blond singer had a great rockabilly voice.  I remember looking for information or albums of their afterwards, but came up empty-handed.  Not many people I spoke to had much info on them, and they just kind of became a footnote in that X/Blasters scene.

Now here is a question for everyone.  Ever hear of a band called the Flesh Eaters?  They had some members of X and the Blasters and some others in there.

DGC
-----------------------------------

Tom Boxner

Nov 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/1/98
Merc50 wrote:

>Actually, the Red Devils who do the blues thing
>that had a live disc in the mid 90's are more or
>less the remains of the old rockabilly Red
>Devils on the LA compilation that Rhino did in
>the late 80's.  In fact, Scott Campbell of the
>Paladins played drums in that version of
>the band, and Johnny Ray Bartell (sp?) was the
>bass player.  Bartell was also the bass player of
>the Red Devils who did the blues stuff,

I got a personal e-mail from someone very close to the Red Devils scene
at the time, and he confirms all this information, plus the fact that
Emmy Lee was the vocalist for the original band. So thanks to every one
here who helped me find the answer. Had I moved my vinyl collection out
here with me, all I would've had to do is compare the liner notes of the
rockabilly compilation with those of the KING KING album, and the
mystery would've been solved. *sigh*

Thanks again, everyone!

Tom

~~~
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Pit/1957/

DIXY DOLLL

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
There is actually a band from England (Sheffield) called the Blue Devils. They
are a kick ass Rock and Roll (that covers Rockin' Blues, Rockabilly, some 60's,
etc...) band. They have a few good records out the latest being "Betty's Mad
Dash" (Betty Page Fans would like their sleeves).

Paul Matthews

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98
DIXY DOLLL wrote:

>There is actually a band from England (Sheffield) called the Blue Devils. They
>are a kick ass Rock and Roll (that covers Rockin' Blues, Rockabilly, some 60's,
>etc...) band. They have a few good records out the latest being "Betty's Mad
>Dash" (Betty Page Fans would like their sleeves).

I like 'em. I have seen them a few times now (the last time was Saturday just
gone). I feel there is also a bit of Surf in there. I think they quote the
Sonics as a big influence.
--
Paul Matthews
paul...@triton.u-net.com

Joshabilly

Nov 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/4/98

I've only heard the RUmble Party Vol 6 track but I loved it.

Josh
CRUSH-----KILL-----DESTROY

Dave "thee J.D" Vandervort

Nov 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/6/98
to bo...@xnet2.com, rockab...@teleport.com
Hey Everyone,
I'm trying to start a rock'n'roll(50's-early 60's Surf, Frat, a little
garage..but mostly just plain rock&roll) Band. We currently have a lead
guitarist(will step down to someone that shows us that they have more
talent) and Drummer(me). Looking for bass and other guitar player, being
able to play other instruments is a major plus. We really would want
this to be a teenage/early twenties band but I am willing to except
almost anyone(unless of course u want us to do greatful dead covers).
Experience is not needed at all, pretty much just a fun band out for
kicks, girls, surfin',an beer(and maybe if we get any... money).
influences:Ron Heydock, Link Wray, Trashmen, Sonics, Untamed Youth,
Cross Fires, Wailers, Phantom Surfers, Jackie & the Cedricks, the
Phantom, Trashwomen, Nervous Norvis, Boss Martians, Hasil Adkins,
Kingsmen, and any other bands that are wild!
e-mail me at surfi...@earthlink.net if interested

emyb...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2018, 10:43:40 AM10/6/18
Hi Tom! I was searching for Red Devils videos online and found your almost 20 year old post! My name is Emy (Lee) and I was the original singer of the rockabilly Red Devils band. (Circa 1982-1986) When we broke up Johnny Ray asked if he and Dave could use the name for their blues band. I was fine with it and they ended up doing really well so that’s nice for them. I have lots of photos and several videos which need to be converted from tape to digital. I’m still performing and currently living in New York City.
Warmly,
Emy Bruzzo.