Q.re: Ramones Influence on Sid Vicious?

Artsites

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
I understand that the Ramones first saw the Sex Pistols perform on Dec. 16th,
1977 in Uxbridge (UK), but wonder if Sid Vicious (or other Sex Pistols)
attended any of the Ramones' gigs in England in May/June 1977. . . Sid Vicious
apparently idolized Dee Dee, but does anyone know when Vicious first saw the
Ramones in concert and/or had the opportunity to meet them? He is photographed
in Jon Savage's "England's Dreaming" wearing a black Ramones t-shirt in
December 1977 on the Sex Pistols Dutch tour. . .

ShiraWild

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
The Ramones first played in England on July 4th, 1976.

Tuomo Lindholm

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
I believe that the guy who made sex pistols also gave sid that shirt.. I
think that he was too fucked up with drugs to do anything by himself. He
couldn't even play a note.

Tuomo

Artsites kirjoitti viestissä
<19990426223409...@ng-fu1.aol.com>...

HeyHeyVk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
>>>The Ramones first played in England on July 4th, 1976.<<

Yes, but I don't think they saw the Pistols play until they came back the
following year, 77. Dee Dee talks about this in his book (his anecdotes about
Sid are from 77, not 76). On July 4th 1976, according to the history books, the
Pistols were playing a gig of their own, and were not at the Roundhouse gig.
Maybe at Dingwalls, though.

Jochen d.G.

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Tuomo Lindholm schrieb:

> I believe that the guy who made sex pistols also gave sid that shirt.. I
> think that he was too fucked up with drugs to do anything by himself. He
> couldn't even play a note.
>
> Tuomo

In the beginning when Sid joined the Pistols he practised a lot and
learned to play very quickly.
Paul Cook said that some of the best Pistols shows ever where the first
shows with Sid on bass.
His drug problems with heroin came later and then they even turned off
the bass because Sid played very badly.
Sid was a bif Ramones (and Abba !) fan.
If you wanna know more about him and the Pistols, read Johnny Rotten´s
autobiography "No Irish, no blacks, no dogs"

"I only fell in love twice - once with a beer bottle and once with a
mirror" -- Sid Vicious

bgwaters

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Artsites wrote in message <19990426223409...@ng-fu1.aol.com>...
....... does anyone know when Vicious first saw the

>Ramones in concert and/or had the opportunity to meet them?

In his book, Dee Dee says that Sid and Johnny Rotten were in the audience
when the Ramones played Dingwalls on July 3rd 1976; And that Sid and he met
each other the following night after a gig at the Roundhouse, and they
"...hit it off immediately".

Benjamin Horrendous

Rev CEO CJ Venture

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Artsites wrote:

> I understand that the Ramones first saw the Sex Pistols perform on Dec. 16th,
> 1977 in Uxbridge (UK), but wonder if Sid Vicious (or other Sex Pistols)
> attended any of the Ramones' gigs in England in May/June 1977. . . Sid Vicious

> apparently idolized Dee Dee, but does anyone know when Vicious first saw the

> Ramones in concert and/or had the opportunity to meet them? He is photographed
> in Jon Savage's "England's Dreaming" wearing a black Ramones t-shirt in
> December 1977 on the Sex Pistols Dutch tour. . .

I heard Joe Strummer say in an interview that he and Steeve Jones
learned guitar while playing along to the first Ramones album.

Reverend CEO CJ Venture

Jochen d.G.

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Rev CEO CJ Venture schrieb:
Maybe Joe Strummer, but not Steve Jones.
The Pistols started in 1975, a year before the first Ramones LP came
out.

HeyHeyVk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
>>>(and Abba !) fan.<<<

Wahey! Abba!!! 25 year anniversary this year!
Saw a TOTP2 special on them last weekend, where Bjorn recalled how Pete
Townshend once told him he thinks "SOS" is the best pop song ever written. Nice
one, Pete. Also in the current issue of Mojo magazine, you can read a piece by
Joey Ramone on Abba.

HeyHeyVk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
>>>Maybe Joe Strummer, but not Steve Jones. The Pistols started in 1975, a year
before the first Ramones LP came out.<<

And the 101'ers, featuring Joe Strummer, played their first gig in 1974.

drc...@aol.com

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Isn't the bass line fom Pretty Vacant ripped off from S.O.S.?

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

HeyHeyVk

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
>>Isn't the bass line fom Pretty Vacant ripped off from S.O.S.?<<

Allegedly, yes.

Jochen d.G.

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
HeyHeyVk schrieb:

> >>Isn't the bass line fom Pretty Vacant ripped off from S.O.S.?<<
>
> Allegedly, yes.
"Im so pretty you ´re so pretty vacant" (or va-cunt, ha,ha)

God save the Sex Pistols !!!

Rev CEO CJ Venture

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99

Well...

That's what he said on that interview...

Documentary was "The History of Rock&Roll" number ? The Punk Years.

I sware.

Reverend CEO CJ Venture

Ramones59

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
>I heard Joe Strummer say in an interview that he and Steeve Jones
>learned guitar while playing along to the first Ramones album.

gee....didn't everyone?

cricket

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99

Rev CEO CJ Venture wrote:

> Artsites wrote:
> >
> > I understand that the Ramones first saw the Sex Pistols perform on Dec. 16th,
> > 1977 in Uxbridge (UK), but wonder if Sid Vicious (or other Sex Pistols)
> > attended any of the Ramones' gigs in England in May/June 1977. . . Sid Vicious
> > apparently idolized Dee Dee, but does anyone know when Vicious first saw the
> > Ramones in concert and/or had the opportunity to meet them? He is photographed
> > in Jon Savage's "England's Dreaming" wearing a black Ramones t-shirt in
> > December 1977 on the Sex Pistols Dutch tour. . .
>

> I heard Joe Strummer say in an interview that he and Steeve Jones
> learned guitar while playing along to the first Ramones album.
>

> Reverend CEO CJ Venture

I heared Sid learned Bass while playing - the whole night before he joined the
Pistols - the first Ramones album. But I don´t know where and I can´t sware.

Artsites

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
i don't know a thing about guitars, but wasn't sid's bass also just like dee
dee's? does anyone know if those early "johnny-joey-dee dee-tommy" white on
black logo t-shirts would have been sold at the ramones u.k. concerts in 1976
and/or 1977? i just bought the ramones t-shirt that sid vicious owned, and
wonder if it was something bought, stolen or given to him by dee dee?

axmikel

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
i dunno about the timing or the other ramones, but at marky's spoken word
thing, he mentioned that he met sid at either cbgb's or max's kansas city (i
forget which) so i would assume this would have been in '78.. apparently
sidney decided to pick a fight with the "stupid yank" and on the way out,
someone mentioned that it was marky from the ramones, and sid quickly changed
his tune and grovelled like a puppy dog...

most likely sid attended some of the ramones early england shows, but i have
no idea when or where..

-mikel

HeyHeyVk

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>>>does anyone know when Vicious first saw the Ramones in concert and/or had
the opportunity to meet them?<<<

Ok, this is direct from Joey Ramone on this subject:

"Johnny Rotten was at the Roundhouse 76, Sid and them were at Dingwall's, Sid
would follow DEEDEE around like a puppy- all the other bands to be
Clash-Damned-Jam "

Tomas Andersson

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
That's cool... a Ramones-t-shirt is so cool in itseöf, and if it was Sid's...
o'boy!

Stay siCK

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
>I heared Sid learned Bass while playing - the whole night before he joined
>the Pistols - the first Ramones album.

Funny, I heard he never learned to play period.
When your fellow bandmembers consistantly refer to you as "a coathanger" and
your sound guy prefers to have your amp shut off during shows chances are Sid
was a ......................... excellent muscian. I swear, I saw Sid and
Nancy (twice)maaaaaannnnnnnnn.
{:>)

"I thought I was cracking you up
You thought I was on crack
Why does it always have to come to that?"

BJRamone

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
<<that he and Steeve Jones
> learned guitar while playing along to the first Ramones album>>

I think Steve Jones was listening to the new york dolls.

Katina Beauchamp

May 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/4/99
Cultural Fantasists http://outlaw4p.home.texas.net/cultfan/
list the Its Alive 1 hour show as held in their archives section.

But - they charge 50 pounds (British) for 30 minutes of video, making
for an expensive video. It's nice to know it is around though.

Honest Matt

Dane Bramage

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
Pistols and Clash worshipped the 'Mones and Iggy.
Americans invented punk!!!!!
Spank it!
DB

--
" When we talk to God it's called 'Prayer',when
God talks to us it's called 'Schizophrenia' "

Jari-Pekka Laitio

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
> That's cool... a Ramones-t-shirt is so cool in itseöf, and if it was Sid's...
> o'boy!

If you paid 1200$ (Ebay item) I think it was totally overpriced, 'cause
can't never be sure about it's original.

Jari-Pekka

::: E-MAIL: jpla...@kauha.kauhajoki.fi :::
R !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R __ __
A Blitzkrieg's Psycho Therapy Bop - A --Love&--
M The Most Complete and Largest RAMONES homepage M -Peace-
O http://www.kauhajoki.fi/~jplaitio/ramones.html O ---
NES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEN -

Artsites

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
hmmm. . ."can't never be sure" - i guess i'd have to disagree. . . it would be
difficult to be absolutely certain, but i did my homework and not only is sid
pictured in an "identical" shirt in jon savage's definitive book on the pistols
"england's dreaming". . . but, i contacted the folks that sold the sid vicious
"ramones" t-shirt to the gent who sold it to me. . . it's got a pretty good
provenance. . . i don't spend $1200 carelessly and take my collecting very,
very seriously - whether buying sex pistols or ramones rarities. . . you can
say that i "overpaid", but i'd invite you to offer me other similar items at
much less "inflated" prices. . . thanks for you enlightened "opinion". . .

Jari-Pekka Laitio

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
On Ebay seller was selling Ramones-gig poster from 1980. (year etc. was
printed to poster) But on pic had CJ, so it was fake. I sent message to
seller, if he was also pissed. Never can't be sure about items and hoeply
shirt is "original". Price was high I think, I saw it also then on Ebay.

csep...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2017, 10:41:00 PM10/26/17
And The Ramones formed in 1974, a year before that :)

Also, Johnny Roten doesn't join Steve Jones and Glen Matlock until 1976.