Spread Your Wings Similar to The Beatles 'Rocky Racoon'?

Edward Haworth

Nov 9, 2000, 8:31:42 PM11/9/00
I noticed how similar the two songs seemed to be a while ago (both in
terms of pacing and structure). My friends are split down the middle on
the issue, what do you all think?
--
Ed Haworth

------------------
"As buds give rise by growth to fresh buds, and these, if vigorous,
branch out and overtop on all sides many a feebler branch, so by
generation I believe it has been with the great Tree of Life, which
fills with its dead and broken branches the crust of the earth, and
covers the surface with its ever branching and beautiful ramifications."
-Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species (Chapter IV)
----------

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

bmrhye

Nov 10, 2000, 12:08:38 AM11/10/00
I think there nothing alike. Except for the fact that the main character in
each story ends up having a better life.

Andy Russell

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
What the blinky blonk is this all about - the 2 songs are about as similar
as 2 unsimilar things :-)

Also doesn't Rocky Racoon get shot at the end of the song ? - doesn't sound
much of a life to me :-)

Cheers,

Andy

"bmrhye" <jets...@aol.com> wrote in message

Robin

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00

>From: jetstar

>I think there nothing alike. Except for the fact that the main character in
>each story ends up having a better life.

I don't think they're alike at all either.
Sammy might have gotten a better life but poor Rocky was shot and collapsed in
a corner. :)

Robin

bmrhye

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
right, he got shot, fell back in his room "only to find Gideon's Bible".

He doesn't end up dying does he?

Geoff Wood

Nov 10, 2000, 4:45:42 PM11/10/00
"When Gidgeon checked out, he left it now doubt, to help with poor Rocky's
revival". From memory.

PS How many Wesstlife or Backdoor Boys original lyrics will we remember in
30 years' time ?

--

Geoff Wood
" All my life I wanted to be someone. I guess I should have been more

"bmrhye" <jets...@aol.com> wrote in message

Stephen Strahan

Nov 10, 2000, 10:39:56 PM11/10/00
to Geoff Wood
Who knows? I guess it depends on whether you were paying attention or if you
liked any of the songs. I can think of lyrics by a bunch of one-hit wonder
bands or teen bands, that have one way or another burned themselves into the
public consciousness like it or lump it <grin> Doesnt make them great or
earth-shattering or anything.. but memorable is a different kettle of fish.
I remember songs by such wonderful bands from my early teens as
Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight
Captain & Tenille - Love Will Keep Us Together
Racey - Some Girls/ Lay Your Love On Me
The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star
The Vapours - Turning Japanese
Jigsaw - Skyhigh
Pilot - January
Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive
Sylvester - You Make Me Feel [Mighty Real]

etc etc etc.... so, memorable songs, but not necessarily brilliant artists
like The Beatles <grin> Undoubtedly some day 30 years from now someone will be
singing "I Want It That Way" by BSB... altho since I already cant think of any
songs [that werent covers] by Westlife, perhaps they wont be so lucky <grin>

Steve

P or J Mills

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
I could see no similarity at all, so I listened to them on MP3 -

hey, guess what - you are right, you can't tell them apart !! :-)

--
Paul M.

"Edward Haworth" <edward_...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Thethreebears

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
>I could see no similarity at all, so I listened to them on MP3 -
LOL, Tell it like it is!!

Robert Mercury

Nov 14, 2000, 8:38:56 PM11/14/00
There is no way in this world that queen are similar to the crap of the
Beatles, The beatles were a manufactured boy band of the 60's who lasted all of
8 years then split up, Queens music has more meaning and more Rock than the
shit beatles, you should be ashamed of yourself to compare the 2 bands, Queen
will always be superior.

Robert Mercury

Alexandra Louise Uitdenbogerd

Nov 14, 2000, 9:15:44 PM11/14/00
Edward Haworth <edward_...@my-deja.com> writes:

>I noticed how similar the two songs seemed to be a while ago (both in
>terms of pacing and structure). My friends are split down the middle on
>the issue, what do you all think?
>--

Interesting thought. Clearly the melodies are different but I had a think
about what was similar:

* they're both telling a story about someone who lives in a hotel room.
* they both have a similar tonality (predominance of the 3rd note in the major
scale as the highest note in the phrase)
* lengths of phrases:
"Sammy was low, just watching the show, over and over again"
"Rocky Raccoon, Checked into his room, only to find Gideon's bible"

--

Sandra Uitdenbogerd - Musician, Research Student, Programmer, Lecturer
RMIT, Australia. a...@cs.rmit.edu.au, http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~alu/

Geoff Wood

Nov 14, 2000, 10:19:27 PM11/14/00
Manufactured boy band ? You clearly know f*all about the Beatles ! Like they
spent 2 years rocking 12 hours a day in seedy nightclubs in Hamburg before
anybody had ever heard of them !

geoff

"Robert Mercury" <mroband...@cs.com> wrote in message

Robin

Nov 14, 2000, 11:09:34 PM11/14/00
>From: mroband...@cs.com (Robert Mercury)

>There is no way in this world that queen are similar to the crap of the
>Beatles, The beatles were a manufactured boy band of the 60's who lasted all
>of
>8 years then split up,

Well, you're loyal, I'll give you that, but calling the Beatles a manufactured
boy band???????? You don't have to like them but at least get real.

Robin

Sue

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

Hahahahahahaha!

Oh my... *Priceless*!

Matt

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

"Robert Mercury" <mroband...@cs.com> wrote in message
Absolutely ! How could the Beatles ever compare themselves to Queen? They
only had 27 #1 hits!

Waste products............

> Robert Mercury

Matt

Stephen Strahan

Nov 15, 2000, 9:16:34 PM11/15/00
Mate.. did you lose your babel-fish or what?? Or did you just come down off
whatever it was that you were accidentally prescribed wayyyyy too much of!??
Um.. much and all as I love Queen, who were and are extremely talented
musicians/songwriters/performers etc, your assessment of the Beatles shows just how
far up ones own rectum it is possible to stuff the human head.
Assuming you stick to your assessment I would recommend you report immediately to
the Joseph Goebels School of Marketing where they are looking for people with a
uniquely one-eyed slant on life the universe and everything.
So long.. and thanks for all the fish.[Sorry... couldnt resist that last bit O
Hitchikers <grin> ]

Steve

Phoning in from a far distant planet Robert Mercury spouted wild inaccuracies
possibly in a foreign tongue:

Ian Regan

Nov 17, 2000, 9:10:51 PM11/17/00
Careful, the Spices have got 9!!!

Robert Mercury

Nov 18, 2000, 11:18:43 PM11/18/00
Why would i want to know F*** all about the beatles, the facts and the footage
speaks for itself, they all wore the same outfits on stage, teenage girls
lusted after them, there music sounds the same, should i go on, maybe you
should watch footage of the shit beatles followed by footage of some shit bands
of today and see what i mean, the beatles are MANUFACTURED HYPED UP CRAP,
no-one gives a shit about them anymore, and as for John lennon, what a pile of
crap, Over rated shit!!!

Robert Mercury

Nov 18, 2000, 11:21:06 PM11/18/00
27 maufactured number 1 hits, who cares, did they ever play to 250,000 people,
NO

Geoff Wood

Nov 19, 2000, 1:52:10 AM11/19/00
Are you 17 ?

G.

"Robert Mercury" <mroband...@cs.com> wrote in message

Sue

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

Geoff Wood wrote:
>Are you 17 ?

I'll see your 17 and raise it.. erm, I mean lower it to 15.

Sue

P or J Mills

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

"Sue" <svn...@lineone.net> wrote in message

lol! Sounds about right :-)

Jacqui

Matt

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

> Why would i want to know F*** all about the beatles,

It sounds like you don't know much about the Beatles.

> the facts and the footage
> speaks for itself,

Fact is they are probably the biggest band of all time.

> they all wore the same outfits on stage,

Which means what? That was typical in the 60's. Queen jumped on the glam
bandwagon in the 70's. So what?

> teenage girls
> lusted after them,

There is a difference though between the Beatles and todays boy bands,
because countless top name musicians list them as a major influence. What
boy band of this day and age change the face of music?

> there music sounds the same,

Love Me Do, I Am the Walrus, Hey Jude sound alike???

> should i go on, maybe you

No, clearly you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.

> should watch footage of the shit beatles followed by footage of some shit
bands
> of today and see what i mean, the beatles are MANUFACTURED HYPED UP CRAP,
> no-one gives a shit about them anymore,

There are a lot more people posting in the Beatles newsgroup than the Queen
newsgroup. Obviously, some care.

> and as for John lennon, what a pile of
> crap, Over rated shit!!!

"Lennon is a genius, still living in every pore" ring any bells?

Ah never mind..............

Matt

Matt

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00

"P or J Mills" <p.mi...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
If we're talking about remedial music 101 that is................

Matt

geer...@my-deja.com

Nov 19, 2000, 7:35:13 PM11/19/00

Thanks for trying to meaningfully deleting the past Robert.

May i take it that you were not listening to music at the time of the
Beatles and of the time when John Lennon's "Imagine" came out?

If you look at historical footage, look at the male singers before
elvis and and beatles : look at their stage clothes, check the reaction
of the audience; then look at the relative age and audience of the rock
that followed.

I can understand in a way but

Ruth

In article <20001118231843...@ng-fa1.news.cs.com>,

Robert Mercury

Nov 19, 2000, 11:35:51 PM11/19/00
OK OK, I GIVE IN, I TODAY LISTENED TO IMAGINE BY JOHN LENNON AND YES I WAS
MOVED BY THE SONG, I AM HOWEVER ENTITLED TO MY OPINION AND THAT IS ALL IT IS,
AN OPINION, I WILL NOT DENY THAT THE BEATLES CHANGED THE FACE OF MUSIC AND YES
THEY ARE THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, BUT AT LEAST AGREE THAT QUEEN ALSO
CHANGED THE FACE OF MUSIC FOREVER TO, AS A LIVE BAND QUEEN WILL ALWAYS BE
UNTOUCHABLE, FREDDIES VOICE WAS AMAZING, ON ANOTHER NOTE I DO LISTEN TO OTHER
BANDS: THE EAGLES ARE A PARTICULAR FAVOURITE, ELTON JOHN, RICHARD MARX, DIRE
STRAITS, G.MICHAEL, ANNIE LENNOX, DAVID BOWIE, BETTE MIDLER, GUNS N ROSES ETC,
TO NAME BUT A FEW. I DO HAVE 1 FAVOURITE BEATLES SONG, "REVOLUTION".
I HOPE THAT I HAVE NOT OFFENDED ANYONE, I WAS ONLY EXPRESSING AN OPINION, AS IS
EVERYONE ELSE ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS, THERE IS HOWEVER 1 PERSON (I WILL NOT
NAME) WHO SENT ME A VERY NASTY EMAIL SAYING THAT I PROBABLY HIT MY WIFE, YOU
SHOULD GET A LIFE MATE.

MAYBE WE SHOULD START A NEW TOPIC, THE TOP 10 BANDS OF ALL TIME, I WILL START A
NEW POSTING.

Sue

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00

Robert Mercury wrote:
>OK OK, I GIVE IN, I TODAY LISTENED TO IMAGINE BY JOHN LENNON >AND YES I
WAS MOVED BY THE SONG, I AM HOWEVER ENTITLED TO >MY OPINION AND THAT IS ALL
IT IS, AN OPINION,

Jolly good. :-)
Keep the volume down though, hey Rob? I've got a headache after all that
scotch and coke!

Sue

Robin

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
>Robert Mercury wrote:
>>OK OK, I GIVE IN, I TODAY LISTENED TO IMAGINE BY JOHN LENNON >AND YES I
>WAS MOVED BY THE SONG, I AM HOWEVER ENTITLED TO >MY OPINION AND THAT IS ALL
>IT IS, AN OPINION,

It's cool Rob, it's just that your opinion was very colorful and a bit
intimidating. Anyone as loyal to Queen as you is okay by me........and long
live The Beatles!!
lol! :)

Robin

THE...@webtv.net

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Robert Mercury wrote: “I WILL NOT DENY THAT THE BEATLES CHANGED THE
FACE OF MUSIC AND YES THEY ARE THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME,”
Um, actually, they are the most POPULAR band of all time. I do not
consider them the best band of all time, as they were not the musicians
Queen were/are(Yes, I DO like The Beatles. But not “Imagine,” that
song annoys me!! His “Happy X-mas” and “Working Class Hero” are
much better songs, not to mention the entire SGT PEPPERS album :-) But
Robert, I don't think they were asking you to change your opinion about
Queen being tops, they were just saying that calling the Beatles gabage
is a little off base! Besides, if all of Queen like them, they can't be
all bad, eh?
Brandon

Robert Mercury

Nov 20, 2000, 8:10:44 PM11/20/00
Just to further advance on my opinion and explain a few things, i have been a
very loyal queen fan for many many years and even changed my name to MERCURY 2
years after we lost freddie, i have always considered them to be the best band
in the world ever, a few years ago all i ever listened to was queen, then i got
into other stuff aswell and my musical taste got wider :-)

The one thing that has really anoyed me over the years is how people always go
on about the beatles being the best band ever and then they ask people for
there second choice and queen get slated, they have never got the recognition
they deserve. I am very passionate about my love for queens music and always
defend the boys when people slate them, i do apologize though for any offence i
may caused over recent days concerning the beatles, after all, people are
entilted to there opinion and there own musical taste.

Rob Mercury

Matt

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

<THE...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Robert Mercury wrote: "I WILL NOT DENY THAT THE BEATLES CHANGED THE

FACE OF MUSIC AND YES THEY ARE THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME,"
Um, actually, they are the most POPULAR band of all time. I do not
consider them the best band of all time, as they were not the musicians
Queen were/are(Yes, I DO like The Beatles. But not "Imagine," that
song annoys me!! His "Happy X-mas" and "Working Class Hero" are
much better songs, not to mention the entire SGT PEPPERS album :-) But
Robert, I don't think they were asking you to change your opinion about
Queen being tops, they were just saying that calling the Beatles gabage
is a little off base! Besides, if all of Queen like them, they can't be
all bad, eh?
Brandon

******************

Exactly Brandon. I'm not even a big Beatles fan myself, but credit where
credit is due. The point Robert made that I do agree with, is that the
Beatles *are* over-hyped. IMHO opinion anyway.

Matt

Grace A Jopling

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Matt,

Thank you for this post. I would've written something similar, but
you saved me having to do it. I cannot -believe- that this guy knows
so little about the Beatles--and that he's willing to post his
ignorance for all to see! Amazing...

Grace (remove '2000' if replying via e-mail)

Matt <mk...@msn.comedy> wrote in message

> "Robert Mercury" <mroband...@cs.com> wrote in message

> > Why would i want to know F*** all about the beatles,
>

> It sounds like you don't know much about the Beatles.
>

> > the facts and the footage
> > speaks for itself,
>

> Fact is they are probably the biggest band of all time.
>

> > they all wore the same outfits on stage,
>

> Which means what? That was typical in the 60's. Queen jumped on the
glam
> bandwagon in the 70's. So what?
>

> > teenage girls
> > lusted after them,
>

> There is a difference though between the Beatles and todays boy
bands,
> because countless top name musicians list them as a major influence.
What
> boy band of this day and age change the face of music?
>

> > there music sounds the same,
>

> Love Me Do, I Am the Walrus, Hey Jude sound alike???
>

> > should i go on, maybe you
>

> No, clearly you don't have a clue about what you are talking about.
>

> > should watch footage of the shit beatles followed by footage of
some shit
> bands
> > of today and see what i mean, the beatles are MANUFACTURED HYPED
UP CRAP,
> > no-one gives a shit about them anymore,
>

> There are a lot more people posting in the Beatles newsgroup than
the Queen
> newsgroup. Obviously, some care.
>

> > and as for John lennon, what a pile of
> > crap, Over rated shit!!!

Avi Mendelsohn

Apr 18, 2022, 2:51:06 AM4/18/22
On Friday, November 10, 2000 at 3:31:42 AM UTC+2, Edward Haworth wrote:
> I noticed how similar the two songs seemed to be a while ago (both in
> terms of pacing and structure). My friends are split down the middle on
> the issue, what do you all think?
> --
> Ed Haworth
> ------------------
> "As buds give rise by growth to fresh buds, and these, if vigorous,
> branch out and overtop on all sides many a feebler branch, so by
> generation I believe it has been with the great Tree of Life, which
> fills with its dead and broken branches the crust of the earth, and
> covers the surface with its ever branching and beautiful ramifications."
> -Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species (Chapter IV)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
I agree, the verse is almost exactly the same in terms of chord progression and feel.