Vincent Crane suicide

Mark Bergen

Sep 2, 1993, 4:27:48 PM9/2/93
I have been told that Vincent Crane commited suicide a few months ago. I
don't have confirmation of this fact, however, and would hope that I was lied
to. Does anyone know whether or not this is true?
Vincent Crane, for those of you who might not know, has contributed a
great deal to progressive rock. Dave Stewart, a widely respected keyboardist
himself, lists Crane as an influence on the liner notes to _Arzachel_. Vincent
Crane was in the original Crazy World of Arthur Brown, and some of his finest
playing can be heard with them. Carl Palmer (yes, THAT Carl Palmer) was also
in this group. Palmer and Crane then went on to form Atomic Rooster.

+ Mark Bergen | Don't believe the spectacle of free. +
+ e-mail: mbe...@macalstr.edu | No one ever let you see. -H. Cow +

Todd Madson

Sep 3, 1993, 2:21:18 PM9/3/93
mbe...@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (Mark Bergen) writes:

> I have been told that Vincent Crane commited suicide a few months ago.

> don't have confirmation of this fact, however, and would hope that I was lied
> to. Does anyone know whether or not this is true?
> Vincent Crane, for those of you who might not know, has contributed a
> great deal to progressive rock. Dave Stewart, a widely respected keyboardist
> himself, lists Crane as an influence on the liner notes to _Arzachel_. Vince

> Crane was in the original Crazy World of Arthur Brown, and some of his finest
> playing can be heard with them. Carl Palmer (yes, THAT Carl Palmer) was also
> in this group. Palmer and Crane then went on to form Atomic Rooster.

Boy, I don't know about this one. I had heard that he passed away
from a heart attack. Does anyone have the true information.

Another progger who passed away was Ollie Hallsall, this past spring,
of a heart attack also. He was in his forties. Allan Holdsworth
was talking about it in an interview with Joe Satriani. He was in
Patto and Soft Machine (after Holdsworth) among others.

---
syb...@tfsquad.mn.org (Todd Madson)
The Firing Squad BBS, public access Usenet mail and news. +1 612 291 2632
Saint Paul, Minnesota

Mike ONeal

Sep 3, 1993, 4:15:48 PM9/3/93
In article <8TcB0B...@tfsquad.mn.org> syb...@tfsquad.mn.org (Todd Madson) writes:
>From: syb...@tfsquad.mn.org (Todd Madson)
>Subject: Re: Vincent Crane suicide
>Date: Fri, 03 Sep 93 13:21:18 CDT

I thought I heard that it was a plane crash that killed Ollie. He died last
october.
-Mike

Tim Klein

Sep 5, 1993, 11:11:05 PM9/5/93
In article <oneal...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov>, on...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike ONeal) writes:
>In article <8TcB0B...@tfsquad.mn.org> syb...@tfsquad.mn.org (Todd Madson) writes:
>>
>>Another progger who passed away was Ollie Hallsall, this past spring,
>>of a heart attack also. He was in his forties. Allan Holdsworth
>>was talking about it in an interview with Joe Satriani. He was in
>>Patto and Soft Machine (after Holdsworth) among others.
>
>I thought I heard that it was a plane crash that killed Ollie. He died last
>october.
>-Mike

From the Deaths column in the 20 June 1992 issue of _Billboard_:

Peter John "Ollie" Halsall, 43, of a heart attack, May 29 in Madrid. Halsall
was a British guitarist and vibraphonist who began recording in 1963. Over the
course of his career he recorded with such acts Timebox (on Decca), Patto (on
Phonogram), Tempest (on Warner Bros.), Boxer (on Virgin), and Kevin Ayers (on
EMI).

Timothy Klein Ugly people make better lovers.
ti...@meaddata.com
Dayton, Ohio

Malcolm Humes

Sep 6, 1993, 11:27:09 AM9/6/93

Ollie was kicked out of Ayers' band becuase of his heroin use about a
month or two before he died of heart problems.

Another progger I've heard died from heroin use was Demetrio Stratos (sp?),
Area's lead singer, though I'd originally heard he went off a cliff on a
motorcycle. Stratos was far from the stereotype of being a druggie f*ckup
and crossed over into the more serious real of 20th century classical
music in some of his work with John Cage.

- malcolm

Phil Hildenbrand

Sep 13, 1993, 3:03:54 PM9/13/93
Re: Ollie Halsall-- death most likely related to his heroin use in Feb. 92.

Re: Barrie Wilson (drums, Procol Harum) -- died in a coma due to drug related
problems. Any additional info, date, details?

Regards, Phil

nicola...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2017, 9:40:47 AM3/14/17
Le jeudi 2 septembre 1993 22:27:48 UTC+2, Mark Bergen a écrit :
Good to read that after so many years...I'm going to listen to some of these artists...