Prodigy FAQ - April 1997

Peter Thomas

Apr 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/20/97

PRODIGY FAQ Compiled by Peter Thomas. April 97

Many thanks to James Atkinson, ToxicBeatz, Tobi Woods, Daniel Smith, Wouter
Groenendijk, Rafael Van Gorkum, Andy Dowling, Gizz Butt and Georgina Ross

This is the text version of the general Prodigy FAQ for the Prodigy newsgroup.
The original html version can be found on my website. I hereby give my express
permission to allow this version of the FAQ to be 'adopted' by any webmaster for
their own site.

Many thanx to the contributors out there. This FAQ includes:

1. New album info
2. The band members
3. Their music genre
4. First ever single
5. Single releases
6. Official websites
7. Lyrics
8. The Chemical / Dust Brothers thing!

Q1. When's the new album out, and what's it called?

The latest news we have is "Late summer" as the latest possible release date.
The rumoured album-name "The Fat Of The Land" may not be the final name. Liam is
rumoured to have changed his mind on this.
As far as we know, some tracks are:

Known name Description
---------- -----------
Smak My Bitch Up used to start up on all recent sets

Firestarter I think you should all know this one!

Minefields Very hard and heavy track with NO GUITARS, but a
lot of jungle bass!

Breathe I think you should know this one, too!

Come Correct A funky hip-hop jam from what I've heard, not too
dissimilar from "Block Rockin' Beats" by The
Chemical Brothers.

Benny Blanco At the moment, there's two versions
(From The Bronx)

Funky Shit As all gig-goers know, since 1995!

Rock and Roll As all gig-goers know, since 1994!

Edward --Any info?--

Brown As played at the recent Dublin gig. Instrumental, a
lot like the beats that Liam plays between
songs.

'Western Sun' Starring Crispian Mills from innovative Brit-pop
(working title) band Kula Shaker on vocals. Crispian describes the
track that he and Liam produced as being a cross
between 'Tattva' (Kula Shaker) and 'Poison'.

The track with Skunk Anansie vocalist Skin has been scrapped.

'Dr Octagon' (aka Kool Keith) from the Ultramagnetic MCs will be on one
track.

Gizz will be working with Liam for more tracks on the album. Also he tells
me that the Prodigy version of L7's 'Feel My Fire' will probably be
available as a B-side on a future single.

The drummer from Soundgarden (Matt Cameron) was asked to drum a few beats
for a track which may appear on the new album, this was backstage at the
"Big Day Out Festival" in Australia earlier this year. Incidentally,
Soundgarden have now split up.

Q2. Who's who!?

There are currently _five_ members in the line-up...

Description Name
----------- ----
Keyboard geezer (spiky blonde hair) Liam Howlett

Mad dancer with punk haircut Keith Flint

Rapper 'MC Maxim Reality' (aka 'Keeti', real
name Keith Palmer)

Tall dancer Leeroy Thornhill

Punk guitarist. Has own punk band Gizz Butt
called English Dogs, since 1980.

...and the ex-members...

Guitarist with long hair Jimmy 'Fingers' Davies

The female dancer Sharky

The old guitarist (Jimmy 'Fingers' Davies, as seen on Electronic Punks video)
left after Firestarter hit number one in the UK.

In their early days, Liam had longer dark hair, Maxim had just a fringe and
Keith had long dair hair, then went short spiky and red!

Q3. What kind of music do they do?

It's just too difficult to say exactly what! There's no word to describe
what genres they have been through, or even the musical styles they have
either created or fused together! A mild fan may say 'hard dance music',
but that's just too general really. Let's just say that they started up
doing techno/rave anthems with hip-hip drumloops, but progressed from that,
so that they now carry elements of ambient, hard-house, hip-hop,
industrial, punk, acid-jazz, reggae, electro, gabba, heavy metal/rock,
jungle and rap. Liam decision to have guitars in the music back in 1994 may
have lost some of his original followers, but only the open-minded fans
kept the faith, it also gained the Prodigy a big alternative/indie
following.

Q4. What's their first ever single?

The single is the What Evil Lurks E.P. (not Charly as some fools may tell
you, that's just their first CHART single!) with four tracks (What Evil
Lurks, We're Gonna Rock, Android and the original (slow hip-hop) mix of
Everybody In The Place), released only on 12 inch vinyl and there are only
7,000 genunine copies in existence! I'm lucky enough to own one after three
years of searching in second-hand record shops! The value could be anything
of up to Ł200 to collectors.

Record Collector magazine has recently re-valued original copies at Ł80.

By the way, just because it's rare, it doesn't mean to say it's good, the
What Evil Lurks tracks are pretty low-budget and cheap efforts which sound
primitive compared to Liam's current offerings! Android is probably the
best track.

Q5. What are their singles then?

Altho I'm tempted point you towards the TRAX listing on my site, ATM, it is far
from complete. Anyway, here is a listing of _every UK single release_

All TRACKS are found on CD versions. (Except for What Evil Lurks, there is no CD
version)

TITLE: What Evil Lurks EP
CHART: Only reached 31 in underground dance chart
YEAR: 91
TRACKS: What Evil Lurks
We're Gonna Rock
Android
Everybody In The Place

TITLE: Charly
CHART: 3
YEAR: 91
TRACKS: Charly (Alley Cat Mix)
Pandemonium
Your Love
Charly (Original Mix)

TITLE: Everybody In The Place
CHART: 2
YEAR: 92
TRACKS: Everybody In The Place (Fairground Edit)
G-Force (Energy Flow)
Crazy Man
Everybody In The Place (Fairground Remix)

TITLE: Fire / Jericho
CHART: 11
YEAR: 92
TRACKS: Fire (edit)
Jericho
Fire (Sunrise Version)
Jericho (Genaside II remix) by Genaside II

TITLE: Out Of Space
CHART: 5
YEAR: 92
TRACKS: Out Of Space (edit)
Out Of Space (Techno Underworld Remix)
Ruff In The Jungle Bizzness (Uplifting Vibes Remix)
Music Reach (1/2/3/4) Live from Club 92 Chicago

TITLE: Wind It Up (Rewound)
CHART: 11
YEAR: 93
TRACKS: Wind It Up (the Rewound Edit)
We Are The Ruffest
Weather Experience (Top Buzz Remix) by Top Buzz
Wind It Up (Rewound)

TITLE: One Love
CHART: 8
YEAR: 93
TRACKS: One Love (edit)
Rhythm Of Life
Full Throttle
One Love (Jonny L Remix) by Jonny L

TITLE: No Good (Start The Dance)
CHART: 4
YEAR: 94
TRACKS: No Good (Start The Dance) (edit)
No Good (Start The Dance) (Bad For You Mix)
No Good (Start The Dance) (Museum Mix) by CJ Bolland
No Good (Start The Dance) (Original Mix)

TITLE: Voodoo People
CHART: 13
YEAR: 94
TRACKS: Voodoo People (edit)
Voodoo People (Dust Brothers Remix) by Chemical Bros.
Goa (The Heat The Energy Part 2)
Voodoo People (Original Mix)

TITLE: Poison
CHART: 15
YEAR: 95
TRACKS: Poison (95 EQ)
Rat Poison
Scienide
Poison (Dub Mix) By Environmental Science

TITLE: Firestarter
CHART: 1
YEAR: 96
TRACKS: Firestarter (edit)
Firestarter (Empirion Mix) by Empirion
Firestarter (Instrumental)
Molotov Bitch

TITLE: Breathe
CHART: 1
YEAR: 96
TRACKS: Breathe (edit)
Their Law live at the Phoenix Festival 96
Poison live at the Tourhout & Werchter Festival 96
The Trick

TITLE: Minefields
CHART: Not out yet!
YEAR: 97
TRACKS: Minefields (Edit)
Minefields (Monkey Mafia Mix) by Monkey Mafia
Headrock Beats
Minefields (Original Version)

I could include details of foreign releases (eg: USA, Australia, etc),
cassettes, vinyls and their extra tracks, but only in the next update if
there is enough demand for it

Q6. Is there an official web site?

Check out http://www.prodigy.co.uk - at the moment it's all under
construction - it will be finished for the third album! For some reason
they have also set up a mirror site at http://www.theprodigy.co.uk

Also, there's loads of unofficial ones about, thanks to us fans! They're
definitely worth visiting!

Q7. What are the lyrics to...?

I'm creating the definitive Prodigy lyrics listings on my site. This is
still in progress, like many other things! You'll be able to find it on the
TRAX page, in the HISTORY section on my web-site.

There is an actual Prodigy lyrics newsgroup, altho hardly used. The URL is
alt.music.prodigy-the.lyrics

Q8. This thing about the Chemical/Dust Brothers...

Right, many of you are confused about this. Let's take this easy...

Way back in the 80s, there were a bunch of producers in America known as
*The Dust Brothers*. They produced the critically acclaimed *Beastie Boys* album
"Paul's Boutique" as well as lending a hand to many other hip-hop masterpieces.

*Tom Rowlands* and *Ed Simons* were two students who loved hip-hop. They
decided to DJ together and formed the name *The Dust Brothers* as a tribute
to their idols, the real Dust Brothers from America. Tom and Ed gained
notoirety among the club circuits of London, and soon put out their first
records via Junior Boys Own, still under the name of *The Dust Brothers*.
Many bands including Primal Scream, The Charlatans, Manic Street Preachers
and of course, *The Prodigy* offered them to remix their singles, which
they did very well. (All worthy Prodigy fans are aware of their skillful
remix of Voodoo People)

The press and other media celebrated their works, Tom and Ed were about to
release their first chart single, but then came a message to their record
company from the real *Dust Brothers* in America, who stated that they
would take legal action if Tom and Ed didn't drop the Dust Brothers
name.

For fear of lawsuits, Tom and Ed did so, they kept the "Brothers" part and
gained "Chemical" from one of their well-known tracks - "Chemical Beats".

The UK and Europe (XL) versions of Voodoo People feature the full
uncensored version of "Voodoo People (*Dust* Brothers remix)" by Tom and
Ed.

The US (Mute) version of Voodoo People features a track titled as "Voodoo
People (*Chemical* Brothers remix)" by Tom and Ed, obviously released in
the USA after the name-change. Also, this is *slightly* different to the
original (UK/Europe - "Dust") mix as one sample is scrambled as it was not
legally cleared.

Just for the record...

*Tom Rowlands* and *Ed Simons* who are properly known as *The Chemical
Brothers* have released two albums now, their last album was a commercial
success, hitting no.14 in America's Billboard charts. Their last two
singles ("Setting Sun" featuring Oasis's Noel Gallagher and "Block Rockin'
Beats" featuring a sample of Schooly D) have both hit no.1 in the UK
singles charts.

The real *Dust Brothers* (from America) have produced mixes for Whale,
Korn, Beck and many others. Their most recent success was producing the
latest Beck album "Ode-lay!". They are currently rumoured to be producing
the next Rolling Stones album.

END...

Many thanx to those who helped out once again. Suggestions and contributions are
always welcome, please inform me at pe...@prodge.demon.co.uk - You can also ask
an unanswered question on the newsgroup. (I'm not saying that *I* will always
know the answer tho!)

Thanx to those who stuck by me in the Myths thread!

--
Peter Prodge the *FACT* of the land! http://www.prodge.demon.co.uk/prodigy
100% pure Prodigy in the Minefields! pe...@prodge.demon.co.uk

Frank

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

> lot like the beats that Liam plays between
> songs.

>'Western Sun' Starring Crispian Mills from innovative Brit-pop
>(working title) band Kula Shaker on vocals. Crispian describes the
> track that he and Liam produced as being a cross
> between 'Tattva' (Kula Shaker) and 'Poison'.

>The track with Skunk Anansie vocalist Skin has been scrapped.

good. Skunk Anasie suxx!

>'Dr Octagon' (aka Kool Keith) from the Ultramagnetic MCs will be on one
>track.

>The old guitarist (Jimmy 'Fingers' Davies, as seen on Electronic Punks video)

>left after Firestarter hit number one in the UK.

why?

>Q3. What kind of music do they do?

>It's just too difficult to say exactly what! There's no word to describe
>what genres they have been through, or even the musical styles they have
>either created or fused together! A mild fan may say 'hard dance music',
>but that's just too general really. Let's just say that they started up
>doing techno/rave anthems with hip-hip drumloops, but progressed from that,
>so that they now carry elements of ambient, hard-house, hip-hop,
>industrial, punk, acid-jazz, reggae, electro, gabba, heavy metal/rock,
>jungle and rap. Liam decision to have guitars in the music back in 1994 may
>have lost some of his original followers, but only the open-minded fans
>kept the faith, it also gained the Prodigy a big alternative/indie
>following.

Thats not true. He used guitar samples in earlier trax like "Wind It Up".

Frank

Peter Thomas

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

>>The track with Skunk Anansie vocalist Skin has been scrapped.
>good. Skunk Anasie suxx!

F**k you! They don't...

>>The old guitarist (Jimmy 'Fingers' Davies, as seen on Electronic Punks
>>video) left after Firestarter hit number one in the UK.
>why?

I'm not prepared to say. I don't know that much anyway... Have you ever seen the
old news story on my website?

>>jungle and rap. Liam decision to have guitars in the music back in 1994 may
>>have lost some of his original followers, but only the open-minded fans
>>kept the faith, it also gained the Prodigy a big alternative/indie
>>following.
>Thats not true. He used guitar samples in earlier trax like "Wind It Up".

Really!?

Well, it's not as if it wasn't part of the rave scene...