Prodigy are dead

1 view

Mark Ross (Flux)

Aug 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/23/97

I saw the Prodigy live at V97 in Chelmsford last weekend. I almost cried they
were so bad. It hurt me to listen to this new crap they were playing. It was all
so uninspired. The band seemed to be lacking the energy they used to have.

It hurt me to listen to Experience today. I felt I kind of emptiness inside.
This was the real music coming straight from Liam's heart, when he was young and
wrote the music he wanted and didn't have the pressures and deadlines of record
companies to adhere to. I new there never again be any music which would come
close to this.

I was too young in the early 90's to have been there where they first played at
Labyrinth but I would have done anything to have been there. That was the real
Prodigy. Standing in that field in Chelmsford surrounded by 100,000 adidassed
indie-kids I realised that the Prodigy were no more.

Determined to go out on a high we left after 20 mins and went to the Dance Tent
where Carl Cox was playing.

Adrian Bayling

Aug 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/23/97

Well, you're probably gonna get flamed for that. Interesting point,
but it does bring up the suspicion that you're a bit anti-guitar.
P'raps you could try being a tad more open minded? It couldn't hurt
too much. Personally, I think the experience isn't great and the new
stuff is a big improvement. I had to swallow my pride a bit 2 years
ago when I finally decided that music with bleeps and drum machines
didn't *have* to be shite (IMO) and came to accept the prodigy as a
kick arse live band.
By uninspired, what do you mean? It's a bit vague, and I think
FOTL is streets ahead of TPE, both structurally and in the overall sound.

ed

Mark Ross (Flux)

Aug 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/24/97

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:33:49 +0100, Adrian Bayling <bay...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

:Well, you're probably gonna get flamed for that. Interesting point,

No doubt I will, but that just goes to show how usenet is full of little kids
who don't know how to put up a decent arguament.

:but it does bring up the suspicion that you're a bit anti-guitar.

:P'raps you could try being a tad more open minded? It couldn't hurt

Far from it. Like you, all I ever used to listen to was guitar music. My CD and
record collection includes Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Green Day, Eric Clapton, etc.,
although I have to admit, I hardly ever listen to these anymore. I really don't
care what instruments are used in music, just a long as it sounds good, sounds
inspired and has some energy. After all the Chemical Brothers use sampled
guitars in their music and their stuff is wicked. The new Prodigy stuff just
doesn't sound as inspired or "raw" as the first 2 albums. It just sounds like a
load of mass produced commercial rubbish. Ok maybe I'm being a bit harsh, and I
will admit that a lot of the songs on the new album are good, and I'd prefer to
listen to that over an oasis song or similar indie dirge, but I just feel it's
not a patch on the first 2 albums.

:too much. Personally, I think the experience isn't great and the new

:stuff is a big improvement. I had to swallow my pride a bit 2 years
:ago when I finally decided that music with bleeps and drum machines
:didn't *have* to be shite (IMO) and came to accept the prodigy as a
:kick arse live band.
: By uninspired, what do you mean? It's a bit vague, and I think
:FOTL is streets ahead of TPE, both structurally and in the overall sound.

I mean you can hear the fact that Liam wrote the songs under pressure - "to
order" if you like. I just feel they're lacking something. Songs like Charly and
Everybody in Place that were written by Liam at home in his room, the way *he*
wanted them in his own time. Now he has the pressure of millions of fans, and
millions of pounds and 100's of records company officials on his shoulders and I
don't feel the music he is writing is coming from his heart. Writing music
myself, I know what it's like. I mean I could write a song now, but it would be
shit. You need to wait for inspiration to come to you before you can write
anything decent, and this sometimes take a long time. With pressures on you like
Liam has had, and deadlines to meet, you don't have time to wait for
inspiration. You just have to sit down a write a song just because that's what
people want. But the song is uninspired.

Anyway, I hope I've explained myself now. I would just like to add that I think
TFOL is a good album. But Experience and maybe even Jilted Generation were
something special, something out of this league, something magical even.

Adrian Bayling

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97

"...eidolon..." <cph...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> > wanted to not have a lot of pressure on him for the next album. Like
> > you said, he probably wants to wait for inspiration.

> ... and God I hope he finds it. What that guy needs now is to cool out,
> get his shit together and move on. While all the talk of them splitting
> up *is* premature I'd hate it if he *did* get burned out now. I know what
> creative blocks are like - they suck, and you just feel like giving up,
> even though you probably have loads of grat tunes left in you. But them
> I'm just an unsigned amateur: if I had deadlines to meet... bleuch.

Well, he says he doesn't want the pressure, or all the attention.
Now, to my mind, there's an obvious solution: don't release any more
singles. This would get rid of the Smash Hits/Top of the pops
following and would leave the door open for Oasis or something to get
all the media shite (I mean, the tabloids are NEVER gonna shut up
when SMBU comes out).
It would mean we don't get any more B-sides which would be a
pisser, but maybe they could be released some other way - on a
limited run, without any publicity - this way only the people looking
for it would find it, perhaps.
Hmm. No, it's not that easy, really.

ed

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/27/97

Chris Basford <Ch...@g3vkm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Anyway the Prodigy rocked the joint, 'nuff said. But you're not happy
>>'til your dancing round a car alarm in a fucking face mask.
>Or dancing around a car in a wet field to "Experience", like all good
>ravers.

Eeek... there was only one true raver with us there (Mike), I just
danced 'cos sitting in a car for a whole 3 hours ain't gonna be
entertaining... and I was quite squashed in that mosh pit, so I had
to, er, 'let my energies out'... I'd have much preferred Jilted, FOTL
or some b-sides...

I'm not even gonna mention what we did at Reading last weekend!

(Or maybe I will...)

--
Pete...
Vague refs to Reading... Pot noodle. Balaclava. Red fishnet vest. Dark

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/27/97

Adrian Bayling <bay...@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>> <Mystic Pete's Crystal Ball>
>> "THE SUN OPINION COLUMN
>> RAVING LOONIES!
>> Nowadays, we have the cocaine-snorting wild-rockers Oasis and ecstasy
>> users East 17, who, along with new group 'Prodigy' are dragging down
>> this fine country's reputation for great music.
>> We at the Sun would like to see the decent thing done -
>> HANG THE BASTARDS!
>> Degrading women is not acceptable.
>> (New Page 3 Girls calendar out now, see page 32)"
>Hell, you could write for that rag!

I reckon so... just let me get rid of my sense of justice and inject
me with 50 gallons of liquid prejudice. ;-)

>> Pete...
>> who once actually worked for The Sun some time ago, sort of...
>oh.
>go on, try to be vague about it, make it sound like you just wrote
>the captions for the odd photo and even that was just when you were
>pissed and didn't know what you were doing... :)

Okay... if ya really wanna know, News International (Sun, Times,
Today,etc) worked with our company, in order to promote themselves. We
flogged lots of shit 'special offers' to their readers, and were once
in charge of the brochure order service around Xmas/New Year times.

We even did similar stuff for Express newspapers (Express, Star) and
MGN Ltd(Mirror, People, Record, etc)...

My boss wrote all the copy for these promotions... really tacky pun
stuff. We helped inspire her, sometimes!

--
Pete...
"England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of

Adrian Bayling

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

We asked 100 people what they would say if asked to talk complete
nonsense - Pete Computerless Thomas replied thusly:

> Okay... if ya really wanna know, News International (Sun, Times,
> Today,etc) worked with our company, in order to promote themselves. We
> flogged lots of shit 'special offers' to their readers, and were once
> in charge of the brochure order service around Xmas/New Year times.

Ok, so maybe it's not *all* that bad. (your employment, not the Sun).

> "England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of
> shirtlifters" - Actual Sun Opinion about gays in the army, 1996!

'We Don't Want Eur Funny Money!' - front pager, regarding the ECU...
or how about this headline from my local paper (the Shropshire Star) from
last night - I pissed myself:

'Party Sausage Man Lucky To Be Alive'
The article, unfortunatley, concerned a bloke who was allergic to
sausages - how boring!

...eidolon...

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Adrian Bayling wrote:
> nonsense - Pete Computerless Thomas replied thusly:
> > Okay... if ya really wanna know, News International (Sun, Times,
> > Today,etc) worked with our company, in order to promote themselves. We
> > flogged lots of shit 'special offers' to their readers, and were once
"Free bag of chips for every reader"

> > "England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of
> > shirtlifters" - Actual Sun Opinion about gays in the army, 1996!
>
> 'We Don't Want Eur Funny Money!' - front pager, regarding the ECU...

Ah yes, the Sun. Like Broadmoor, it has become an institution. Personally
I don't know how anyone can read it. I mean, its targeted squarely at the
working class, but is written by mostly middle class hacks. Am I the only
one who finds it just a *little* patronising?

.eid.

Good *yuck* wholesome *wince* family *gaaah* entertainment *thud*

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

bay...@zetnet.co.uk (Adrian Bayling) wrote:
>> "England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of
>> shirtlifters" - Actual Sun Opinion about gays in the army, 1996!
>'We Don't Want Eur Funny Money!' - front pager, regarding the ECU...

The Sun epitomises every xenophobic sheep in this sorry country. It's
dragging Britain into the gutter, while hiding behind a 'true-Brit'
disguise.

>or how about this headline from my local paper (the Shropshire Star) from

Shropshire Star... how's life in Leominster then? :-)

>last night - I pissed myself:
>'Party Sausage Man Lucky To Be Alive'

Eeek!

>The article, unfortunatley, concerned a bloke who was allergic to
>sausages - how boring!

Ah, but wot a killer headline!

--
Pete...
"Dad's the way to live, Liam" - Headline from the Sun's first Prodigy

Adrian Bayling

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

When ...eidolon... blurted this lot out, there was only one thing to
do...

> > > "England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of
> > > shirtlifters" - Actual Sun Opinion about gays in the army, 1996!
> >
> > 'We Don't Want Eur Funny Money!' - front pager, regarding the ECU...
>

> Ah yes, the Sun. Like Broadmoor, it has become an institution. Personally
> I don't know how anyone can read it. I mean, its targeted squarely at the
> working class, but is written by mostly middle class hacks. Am I the only
> one who finds it just a *little* patronising?

And stupid. It still thinks Labour are on the left, for gods sake. VOTE
LABOUR! They said. The gullible public did just that. Now we have a
government "unconcerned with little details" (radio 4, this morning), ie.
figuring out how to back up claims made on a whim.

> Good *yuck* wholesome *wince* family *gaaah* entertainment *thud*

Jim Davidson's Pantomime experience!

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/29/97

"...eidolon..." <cph...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > Okay... if ya really wanna know, News International (Sun, Times,
>> > Today,etc) worked with our company, in order to promote themselves. We
>> > flogged lots of shit 'special offers' to their readers, and were once
>"Free bag of chips for every reader"

Oi! Nowt wrong with chips! I _am_ working class, actually...

Altho Sun readers don't make me proud to be working class.
Among the things we flogged were Rolex look-a-like watches. Quite
ironic that so many working class people were after these replica
tokens of Upper class-ness!

>> > "England's military needs to work as real men, not with a team of
>> > shirtlifters" - Actual Sun Opinion about gays in the army, 1996!
>> 'We Don't Want Eur Funny Money!' - front pager, regarding the ECU...
>Ah yes, the Sun. Like Broadmoor, it has become an institution.

LOL!!!

>Personally
>I don't know how anyone can read it. I mean, its targeted squarely at the
>working class, but is written by mostly middle class hacks. Am I the only
>one who finds it just a *little* patronising?

SUN OPINION MODE: So, a piped up little leftie internet pervert thinks
the Sun is patronizing? Let's show this little student twerp that we
are British and proud! We'll hang Eidolon by his balls! Meet us on
Weymouth Pier with Melinda Messenger, Larry Lottery and Gary Bushface.

>Good *yuck* wholesome *wince* family *gaaah* entertainment *thud*

I see you're reading the wisdom of Gary Bushface there! "More variety
is needed on TV!"

--
Pete...
Bingo, boobs and Oasis.

Adrian Bayling

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

When Pete Computerless Thomas blurted this lot out, there was only one
thing to do...

> The Sun epitomises every xenophobic sheep in this sorry country. It's

> dragging Britain into the gutter, while hiding behind a 'true-Brit'
> disguise.

It just terrifies that people pay for it. They *want* to buy it. They
go to Blackpool on their holidays. They vote for the opposition because
they want more dole money. They fill up Shrewsbury bus station with
their teenage mothers and skinhead 8 year olds. I usually avoid the bus
station wherever possible :)

> >or how about this headline from my local paper (the Shropshire Star) from
> Shropshire Star... how's life in Leominster then? :-)

Leominster? Can't say I'm familiar with the place really. Shrewsbury,
though, is a dump. I live there. It is one of the most violent towns in
the country (belying its quaint lil ol' English town image).
Hmm

> >'Party Sausage Man Lucky To Be Alive'

That goes in the reply because it's great.

ed

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

bay...@zetnet.co.uk (Adrian Bayling) wrote:

>> The Sun epitomises every xenophobic sheep in this sorry country. It's
>> dragging Britain into the gutter, while hiding behind a 'true-Brit'
>> disguise.
>It just terrifies that people pay for it. They *want* to buy it. They
>go to Blackpool on their holidays.

They watch Freddie Starr. They do the Lottery and think they're gonna
win it. They reckon Joe Longthorne has talent. That shell-suits and
flying-ducks-ornaments are classy. They honestly think that any
violence in a soap opera storyline should be on the front page. They
think Sky TV is sophisticated.

>They vote for the opposition because they want more dole money.

Well, not even Labore are gonna give 'em that.

>They fill up Shrewsbury bus station with their teenage mothers and skinhead 8 year olds.

Love it! What is it about cheap army style haircuts anyway? Has this
place gone mad? People actually wanna look like neanderthals? Why do
they wear those stupid flourescent orange shirts with those white
jeans? Why do they add 1000K sound systems in their ford sierras and
then play shit music? Why do walk around with no shirts on in the
summer, displaying their pale white chests as if any female with an IQ
of more than 3 would be interested?

Noel Edmonds. Why?

Gladiators. Why?

(I'm gonna burst something!)

>> >or how about this headline from my local paper (the Shropshire Star) from
>> Shropshire Star... how's life in Leominster then? :-)
>Leominster? Can't say I'm familiar with the place really. Shrewsbury,
>though, is a dump. I live there.

I've been there. At the bus station. (I kid you not!)

>It is one of the most violent towns in
>the country (belying its quaint lil ol' English town image).

Braintree is apparently a violent place, but Smitty tells me
otherwise...

>> >'Party Sausage Man Lucky To Be Alive'
>That goes in the reply because it's great.

Indeed.

--
Pete...
oh, Prodigy will be collaborating with KoRn, before the end of the

(Just be on-topic!)

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

"...eidolon..." <cph...@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Altho Sun readers don't make me proud to be working class.
>UActually, they're all just as bad. Even the middle class ones like the
>Express, which my housemate *insists* on buying...

I used to buy that. Very quaint. Very 'tea-on-the-lawn' kind of thing.

>> SUN OPINION MODE: So, a piped up little leftie internet pervert thinks
>> the Sun is patronizing? Let's show this little student twerp that we
>> are British and proud! We'll hang Eidolon by his balls! Meet us on
>> Weymouth Pier with Melinda Messenger, Larry Lottery and Gary Bushface.

>LOL!

"This foul low-life student dares to laugh at Britain's most popular
newspaper! Send him on his bike!"

>EXPRESS OPINION MODE The mid-twenties. It is a time when most decent
>upstanding students are hard at work revising for their exams. But not
>this putrid pile of evil filth from Southampton...die, Labour scum, die...

:-) Love it.

>Who has just been sacked by his job shop for refusing to do the security
>for the Newbury bypass on the grounds he'd rather be up the tree...

Top one, mate...

Altho Swampy's lot are just as stupid IMO...

--
Pete...
from the Tooting Popular Front

Pete Computerless Thomas

Aug 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/30/97

bay...@zetnet.co.uk (Adrian Bayling) wrote:

>> Ah yes, the Sun. Like Broadmoor, it has become an institution. Personally

>> I don't know how anyone can read it. I mean, its targeted squarely at the
>> working class, but is written by mostly middle class hacks. Am I the only
>> one who finds it just a *little* patronising?

>And stupid. It still thinks Labour are on the left, for gods sake. VOTE
>LABOUR! They said. The gullible public did just that.

Yes, me included, I'm afraid.. :-( How stupid of me.

>Now we have a
>government "unconcerned with little details" (radio 4, this morning), ie.
>figuring out how to back up claims made on a whim.

Yep. Who said the Conservatives lost their 18-year-long rule? They're
still in office, under a new name. 'Forgetting' to ban bloodsports;
charging students to learn; proposing motorway tolls... it's just
Thatcher again. No fucking alternative these days.

Will we get the proposed minimum wage? Will we fuck...

>> Good *yuck* wholesome *wince* family *gaaah* entertainment *thud*

>Jim Davidson's Pantomime experience!

Funny how The Sun proclaims itself to be a family newspaper and also
promotes racist 'comedians' like Jim Davidson.

--
Pete...
Tory Blair, William Vague... it confirms the legend: All Politicians

Pete Computerless Thomas

Sep 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/1/97

bay...@zetnet.co.uk (Ed Bayling) wrote:

>> >VOTE LABOUR! They said. The gullible public did just that.
>> Yes, me included, I'm afraid.. :-( How stupid of me.

>I can't really talk - I'm still officially a minor for another 2 or 3
>weeks. But I wouldn't have voted purple, if I could have.

Purple! LOL! Good call!!

>> Tory Blair, William Vague... it confirms the legend: All Politicians
>> Are Cunts.

>Ah, but Claire Short - isn't she a darling?

Bleugh. You sir, have sick taste! :)

--
Pete...
That Bentley Rhythm Ace video is quite good.

Chris

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Ed Bayling wrote:

> When Pete Computerless Thomas blurted this lot out, there was only one
> thing to do...
>

> > >VOTE LABOUR! They said. The gullible public did just that.
> > Yes, me included, I'm afraid.. :-( How stupid of me.
>
> I can't really talk - I'm still officially a minor for another 2 or 3

> weeks. But I wouldn't have voted purple, if I could have. Next time,
> eh? (Next time it's the Libs, my bet :))

Naaah. As long as the tabloid press are around, people will always think
in black/white cold/hot tory/ labour terms.

> Yeah.. that's put my university prospects in jepoardy (sp?).
> (tax)Education! (tax)Education! Education! I can't believe how he can
> justify that.

Not all universities are adopting top up fees though...

Chris

ed bayling

Sep 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/2/97

When Pete Computerless Thomas blurted this lot out, there was only one
thing to do...

> They watch Freddie Starr. They do the Lottery and think they're gonna

> win it. They reckon Joe Longthorne has talent. That shell-suits and
> flying-ducks-ornaments are classy. They honestly think that any
> violence in a soap opera storyline should be on the front page. They
> think Sky TV is sophisticated.

They wanted exclusive photos of princess Di and Dodi.
Now they are in mourning.
They can't see that the blame indirectly lies with them - if there was no
demand, could *you* see the papers paying through the nose for a scoop?
On sunday, the mirror published 2 editions. The first one had exlcusive
phtotos of Di & Dodi. The 6 am one detailed how people like their
reporters pretty much caused the crash.
I don't think I need go on.

> I've been there. At the bus station. (I kid you not!)

I was at the bus station not 3 hours ago.

> >That goes in the reply because it's great.
> Indeed.

ed
has just spent the weekend with the lovliest anorexic bisexual manic
depressive he's ever likely to meet

ed bayling

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

When Pete Computerless Thomas blurted this lot out, there was only one
thing to do...
> bay...@zetnet.co.uk (Ed Bayling) wrote:

> Purple! LOL! Good call!!

That line could really confuse those who didn't know what it was in
reference to... ;-)

> >> Tory Blair, William Vague... it confirms the legend: All Politicians
> >> Are Cunts.
> >Ah, but Claire Short - isn't she a darling?
> Bleugh. You sir, have sick taste! :)

Tax free education? They'll be wanting golden elephants next! And as
for those nasty misinterpreting spin doctors - they're dishonest and
mean. *I* never did any of that when we were in opposition.

ed

ed bayling

Sep 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/3/97

When Chris blurted this lot out, there was only one thing to do...

> > > Yes, me included, I'm afraid.. :-( How stupid of me.
> > I can't really talk - I'm still officially a minor for another 2 or 3
> > weeks. But I wouldn't have voted purple, if I could have. Next time,
> > eh? (Next time it's the Libs, my bet :))
> Naaah. As long as the tabloid press are around, people will always think
> in black/white cold/hot tory/ labour terms.

Interesting, isn't it, how the tabloids have come to pretty much dictate
who gets into power?
And what's more worrying is that we (the people that recognise this) seem
to have accepted it without quibbling...

ed