Sample of Sean Atkins

Benoit Liard

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Hi!
Anybody know more about Sean Atkins.. Sounds very cool!

Alan Tibbetts

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

On 1 Oct 1997 18:44:52 GMT, "Benoit Liard" <ce...@simm.qc.ca> wrote:

>Hi!
> Anybody know more about Sean Atkins.. Sounds very cool!

I read somewhere, I think it was in Mojo, that Sean Atkins is a
'Bristol singer'. I also have an album by a band called The Whores of
Babylon, who are from Bristol and have a singer called Sean Atkins -
if this is the same person on the Portishead album, does anyone know
what happened to The Whores of Babylon?

Benoit Liard

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Hi!
The sample on Portishead is from 1957. Do you think that I can find an
Album of Sean Atkins in Canada?!? I've search on the internet and I find
anything about him. I'll check for Whores of Babylon. Does it sound like
the sample?

Bristol is definitively too great.

a+

Alan Tibbetts <al...@dial.pipex.com> a écrit dans l'article
<3433dde...@news.dial.pipex.com>...

ulu...@osu.edu

Oct 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/5/97

In article <01bccf64$a0ab6e80$14909a8e@cern>,

"Benoit Liard" <ce...@simm.qc.ca> wrote:

> Hi!
> The sample on Portishead is from 1957. Do you think that I can find an
> Album of Sean Atkins in Canada?!? I've search on the internet and I find
> anything about him. I'll check for Whores of Babylon. Does it sound like
> the sample?
>
> Bristol is definitively too great.
>
> a+

The Sean Atkins sample hadn't caught my attention initially. This
guy really sounds awesome and the sample at the end of "Western Eyes"
leaves you wishing there was more. I did a search on the net and also
checked a couple of local stores for old LPs, to no avail. I'm guessing
that his stuff would probably be in the same bin as Engelbert Humperdinck
(sp?), Tony Bennett etc.

- Batu

Alan Tibbetts

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

On Sat, 04 Oct 1997 12:20:52 -0700, Robert Thorsen Baker
<rba...@ucla.edu> wrote:

>According to the latest issue of PULSE! (Tower Records' magazine), Sean
>Atkins--of London's Whores of Babylon--came into the studio after "a
>laugh and a few drinks" and recorded some loungy material, some of which
>would become the end of "Western Eyes."
>
>As the "Hookers and Gin" bit was recorded this year, I assume the
>reference to the "'Sean Atkins Experience' 1957" is either a witty
>little joke or a slight typo--or both, eh?

I don't have the mojo article here, but now that someone has confirmed
that its Sean Atkins of The Whores of Babylon, I seem to remember
something about Portishead slowing the samples of him down until he
sounded like a 50s crooner.

When he sings at normal speed, the only singer I can think to compare
him to is Marc Almond.

The Whores of Babylon are Gothic in sound.

Alan

Benoit Liard

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

Hi!
Where can I find an album of Whorse of Babylon?

Alan Tibbetts

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 18:53:18 -0400, "Benoit Liard" <ce...@simm.qc.ca>
wrote:

>Hi!
> Where can I find an album of Whorse of Babylon?

As far as I know, there is only one album: Metropolis, I can mail you
the CD number, etc, but remember it sounds nothing like Portishead or
the sample in Western Eyes!

Alan