Polka Novelty Songs

jeff.v...@comcast.net

Sep 13, 2006, 6:09:45 PM9/13/06
Out of curiosity, I'm trying to put together a list of novelty (funny)
songs from the polka field over the years. I'm mostly interested in
originals, but any novelty covers are fine too. Here's a start:

Originals
*Stella at the Wheel - Pala Bros & DTS
*No Other Than My Mother - Pala Bros
*Crazy Jas - CTX
*My Only Loves - CTX
*Grandpa's Story - CTX

Cover Versions
*Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer - Don't Remember
*I'm Getting Nuttin' For Christmas - TPM

Uncertain - Please verify
*Sweet Violets - Blazy?
*You Smell Like Turtles - Polkatown Sound
*Order Yours Today - Dynasticks

Thad Seaver

Sep 13, 2006, 7:25:53 PM9/13/06

"My Hometown"

DynaBrass does it, but I don't know if they wrote it.

Thad

jeff.v...@comcast.net

Sep 13, 2006, 8:13:06 PM9/13/06
Forgot about:

Sharon Sharalike - WCB
Floating Rock (English version) - FD

hmmm ... now what do those two songs have in common?

BoxSqueezer

Sep 13, 2006, 9:19:10 PM9/13/06
How about "Green Parrot" by The Brass Works.

<jeff.v...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Bob Ziegenbein

Sep 14, 2006, 12:59:49 AM9/14/06
How about ??

Hit the Bricks by the Dynabrass

Brian J. Gawlak

Sep 14, 2006, 2:24:38 AM9/14/06
Not sure of the original artist.... Walter Solek??? I know Scrubby did it
"Hit him on the head with a kielbasa"

Walter Solek - "Always in the way
Pala Brothers - "Sausage And Sauerkraut For Santa"
Pala Brothers - Stara Baba
Stas Bulanda - In The Sianda
Marion Lush & Richie Tokarz - The "Adult LP"
Charlie Tansek & Chicago Tradition - Hallelujah I'm a Bum
Eddie Biegaj- "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" (Cover tune)

Sweet Violets was done by Blaz, but is was not his original...it's an old
folk tune.

in...@wildwilson.com

Sep 14, 2006, 5:22:09 AM9/14/06

"My Hometown" I know that Tom Lehrer does that song

other novelity stuff Scott Chapin a DJ who covered rock songs a link
on the site
"rock songs polkafied'
http://wildwilson.com/_wsn/page2.html

Peace out - the Wildman

rjbo...@adelphia.net

Sep 14, 2006, 7:46:48 AM9/14/06
Energy - Im My Own Grandpa (not sure of the originator)

polkap

Sep 14, 2006, 8:01:48 AM9/14/06

Too Fat Polka- Arthur Godfrey

A Little Miss- Chico Bavariann Band

Polka person

Sep 14, 2006, 12:48:44 PM9/14/06

Dan Gury and the Dyna Dukes did a song on their "Greatest Hits of the
20th Century" recording called OVERWEIGHT, a parody of the New Brass's
Overnight. It is hilarious.
John Pavlovcak

Polka person

Sep 14, 2006, 12:49:11 PM9/14/06

Bob Ziegenbein

Sep 14, 2006, 12:55:00 PM9/14/06
The best song though is by Steve Huber and the Happy Austrians. It is
called:

My Wife Had a Pet Bee. She named it Boo.

So it was my wife's Booo-Beee.

"Bob Ziegenbein" <bobl...@new.rr.com> wrote in message

Zee Zee

Sep 14, 2006, 12:59:27 PM9/14/06
How about "Grab Your Balls We're Going Bowling" - Casuals?

-Zee Zee

jro...@optonline.net

Sep 14, 2006, 8:15:29 PM9/14/06
> Thad fyi: "My hometown" is an old folk/vaudeville song --they didn't write it and it was recorded by various polka bands before ( including, I think, EB and Norm Dombrowski and the Happy Notes, who did at least one whole album of mostly English-language novelty songs. To answer the question above, Eddie B did record sweet violets.

jro...@optonline.net

Sep 14, 2006, 8:22:00 PM9/14/06

It sure is-I think it's the funniest song I ever heard in the polka
field.

Message has been deleted

jro...@optonline.net

Sep 14, 2006, 8:44:48 PM9/14/06

There have been quite a few such numbers in polka music --a few more
notable ones are "Who stole the kiszka?" and "Pierogi, two for a dime"
by Walt Solek: Such numbers were one of his specialties and he had a
separate costume change and routine for many of them;
"Apples, peaches, pumpkin pie": One of the biggest polka megahits
in the 60's :Every band had to play it: Happy Louie's version was
particularly humorous;
"Maurice, don't Do That" by the Happy Harmony Boys was also a
nationwide hit and was USPA song of the year.It was a polka adaptation
of a cajun song.
"Mousie" (myszka), written by Little Dixie of Connecticut, was
recorded by Joe Stanky and was quite a novelty hit here (in CT.) and
elsewhere , too, I think: Dixie got the idea for the song, I
understand, when a mouse was spotted running across the dance floor at
the Bristol,Ct., PC, a popular polka spot.
For the record, too, there have been many "bawdy" songs recorded
in Polish,and occasionally in English, on various "not for air
play/Polish party" albums ( by Lush, EB, Wally, Norm Dombrowski, R.
Budzilek and a few others ) and many off-color, suggestive songs in
English recorded over the years based on low-brow double entendre
involving the Polish kielbasa...if you want to go there...

jro...@optonline.net

Sep 14, 2006, 8:53:42 PM9/14/06
The "Green Parrot" was originally written and recorded by Walt
Solek, who is probably the all-time master of polka novelty songs ( see
other posts on several of his other hits ) in terms of how many he
wrote, how successful they were and his colorful performances. It has
since been covered by many bands, including a German oompah band whose
performance is shown on video online ( I think it's one of Thad
Seaver's great youtube collection).

BoxSqueezer

Sep 14, 2006, 10:57:13 PM9/14/06
How about "Order Yours Today" Polka by Prime Drive. Great tune!

Zee Zee

Sep 15, 2006, 8:33:28 AM9/15/06

"Who The Hell Is Johnny" - Ebbie B.

and yes! "Basia Hold My Kielbasa"- Steve Kaminski's Dream Team. Great
tune as well.

and "Bull Sh*t" by Jimmy Sturr, although I don't think he ever recorded
it under that name, but they've done it live.

Oh, and of course - "IF YOU SEE KAY" ! - I forget the band.

- Zee Zee

jeff.v...@comcast.net

Sep 15, 2006, 8:53:27 AM9/15/06
I also think the "Stylestix" played ... and possibly recorded:

"Where Are You Tonight" - The ol' Hee Haw ditty!

Brian J. Gawlak

Sep 15, 2006, 11:58:46 AM9/15/06
"If You See Kay", Jerry Darlak!!! Forgot about that one myself!!!'

Also, Dance The Polka Naked "Honky Hoppers"

polkap

Sep 15, 2006, 7:04:35 PM9/15/06
that's a good song!

polkap

Sep 15, 2006, 7:07:57 PM9/15/06
Who were you thinking of- Pat Zoromski & the boys from polonia

The Italian mouse " " cat- Eddie Forman

Feel Like ***** - Eddie Biegaj & Crusade

polkap

Sep 15, 2006, 7:09:08 PM9/15/06
Expose yourself- Polka Rascals

Tim Mohrlant

Sep 15, 2006, 8:48:43 PM9/15/06
"Oh Why Did I Get Married?" by the Julida Boys
"I Like Stinky Cheese" by the Julida Boys
"Good Old Mountain Dew" by Dick Rodgers and probably others
"Out Behind The Barn" by The Swiss Girls and probably others
"Boots and Saddle" by Don Peachy

Not polkas, but ...
"Seven Beers With The Wrong Woman" by The Jolly Lumberjacks and probably
others
"Skirts" by Don Peachy and probably others
"Last Night On The Back Porch" by Uncle Ozzie and probably others

--
Tim Mohrlant - tmohrlant@NO_JUNK_MAIL_comcast.net (remove NO_JUNK_MAIL_)

che...@aol.com

Sep 15, 2006, 10:07:40 PM9/15/06
Billy Palo @ Touch of Chicago - Size 52's
New Brass and Walt Solek - There Always In The Way
Dick Pillar - No Problem
Matt L - cant play it on my radio or net show , but it's got balls !!!
Brass Express - Hey Diddle Diddle
DynaTones - The Scrubby Rap
Happy Ritchie's version - Talk Dirty In Hawaiian

in...@wildwilson.com

Sep 15, 2006, 10:27:08 PM9/15/06

The Too Drunk Polka by the Barley Boys from their disc it's a long
drive from Ireland

Schottenheimer Polka by The Step Brothers on their Schottenheimer Polka
disc

Too Fat Santa Polka by Acoustic Grace / Sweet Harmony / Aereon on their
Christmas To Cure Cancer disc

a couple three more for your list - the Wildman

in...@wildwilson.com

Sep 15, 2006, 10:29:34 PM9/15/06

forgot the Cheesehead Polka by Dan Riley - sorry how could I have been
so inept?

PMF

Sep 16, 2006, 2:37:51 AM9/16/06
There Always In the Way - New Brass and Tons of Others

Breakfast With Tony (Oberek) - Dan Gury & The Dyna - Dukes

Polka Joe & Waltzing Wanda - Dan Gury & The Dyna - Dukes

Bowl, Bowl, Bowl Oberek (Swir Swir) - Dan Gury & The Dyna - Dukes

Crabcake Oberek - Polka Family Band

Happy Hanky - Polka Family Band

We Are Family "Rap-up" - Polka Family Band

Woman Is Smarter - Freeze Dried

The Tune about Cindy (Forgot the Exact Name by Joe Zalewski) - TPM

La De Da - Biggy Daddy Lackowski

What Should I Do - TPM

Gilligan's Island - Dan Gury & The Dyna - Dukes

Ice Cubes & Beer Polka - RAY BUDZILEK

Thad Seaver

Sep 16, 2006, 5:45:24 AM9/16/06
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:37:51 -0400, <PMF> wrote:

>The Tune about Cindy (Forgot the Exact Name by Joe Zalewski) - TPM

I think it's called "When I Met Cindy."

Thad

polkap

Sep 16, 2006, 8:49:34 AM9/16/06
Don't Want to be a Priest- Lil Wally

Tim Mohrlant

Sep 16, 2006, 3:58:42 PM9/16/06
Almost the entire "Polka Country" album by Johnny Durham
110 Polka
You Can't Win 'em All Polka
Too Many Husbands Polka
Shut Up And Drink Your Beer Polka
Dumb Waltz
Pump And Hop Polka
A Woman A Dog And A Walnut Tree Waltz
Poor Old Ugly Gal Polka

And, while I was typing this up, I just heard on WRJQRadio.com
"(I Couldn't Shake) My Fannie Polka" by Jerry Dostal

Brian J. Gawlak

Sep 17, 2006, 3:59:01 AM9/17/06
Not sure if has been mentioned yet....

"Crazy Stanley" - Pat Zoromski & The Boys From Polonia & another group that
I do not know also recorded it.

in...@wildwilson.com

Sep 17, 2006, 10:06:06 AM9/17/06

Johnny Prytko's Limerick Polka from his Long Island Sound disc from
1969 - the Wildman

kq...@aol.com

Sep 19, 2006, 2:13:51 PM9/19/06
Guacamole done by The Touch of Chicago

in...@wildwilson.com

Sep 19, 2006, 6:39:56 PM9/19/06

the Weiner Dog Polka by Polkacide on their CD 'Hardcore 2/4'

Did anybody get the Hot Dog Polka sang by Matt L. on the Crusades disc

Have a glorious and blessed night! - the Wildman

Before I go let's also add the Paul Konrad Polka by the Polkaholics

polka...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2006, 9:00:58 PM9/19/06

rjbo...@adelphia.net wrote:
> Energy - Im My Own Grandpa (not sure of the originator)

I'm My Own Grandpa was originally recorded by the great Ray Stevens.

Curt Traska

cka...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2018, 8:46:42 PM10/14/18
Does anyone happen to know a particular polka song that is quite silly - it mentions a peach and possibly a dog and sounds like pig snorting and laughter too. Definitely not apples peaches pumpkin pie and not Who the hell is Johnny. It's driving me nuts it was on the Johnny Prytko show about a month ago and the station went out of reception before the song ended. Please help and thank you !!!

fingers

Dec 3, 2023, 7:40:11 PM12/3/23
not so, while Ray did record it in 1987, the original recording was
1947 by Lonzo and Oscar

fingers