From Genesis to New Blood

Will Dockery

Mar 23, 2016, 7:57:22 PM3/23/16
My studies this season are all on the career of Peter Gabriel, which is just a few years short of Dylan's, Gabriel having started recording with his band Genesis back in 1969.

Although I've listened to and liked the work of Peter Gabriel over the years, spring of 2016 is the first time I've done an extensive study of his writings, music and performance.

It was Bowie who led to the Gabriel studies, as, while I was getting into his 1970s Changes, I remembered that Peter Gabriel, during the Genesis years, gave David Bowie a bit of a run for his money on theatrics, costumes, and characters, with such albums as "Foxtrot" and "Nursery Cryme", in which Gabriel took on all manner of fantastic personas, once dressed with a fox head and red dress, as an old man, various monsters and demons, including the Batwing Head guy, and my all time favorite, which I viewed on the Midnight Special television show, when he came out dressed as a purple flower. Then, like Bowie went into his Thin White Duke and disco rock phases, Gabriel presented his epic "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", in which he portrayed a leather jacketed thug sort of character... and then on into his solo career in the 1980s and one of the kings of MTV with classics like "Games Without Frontiers", "Sledgehammer" and "Shock The Monkey" (which disturbed my wife, Kathy, because she was very vocally opposed to animal cruelty and violence, most specially the redneck deer hunters of this area, and so Peter Gabriel was suspect in her eyes, plus she was a Bowie groupie wannabe)...

Anyway, delving heavily into the dense epic poetry and song of "Selling England By The Pound" today:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47002/Genesis-Selling-England-By-The-Pound/

And have also compiled Volume One of a "Full Career Retrospective 1973-2016" with some of my favorites from early and later years, to catch my friends up to speed on this, so I don't have to talk to myself about it, although I do have my old friend George Sulzbach (ancestor to the fabled Herbert Sulzbach, German Jewish WWI hero, winner of the Iron Cross, who bolted to England in WW2 to help them fight his own people, the Germans, who had gone to the Dark Side and become Nazis, more on him soon) to discuss with who was a fan way back in the 1970s. Sulzbach even made a mural in his basement of one of the Genesis album covers, probably the crochet mallets and heads for balls on the cover of Nursery Cryme, one of the spookiest album covers ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursery_Cryme#/media/File:NurseryCryme71.jpg

And that's just about how that goes...

<3