Re: Foxtrot or Selling England By the Pound

Jim Hill

Dec 27, 2007, 7:44:19 PM12/27/07
(alt.music.peter-gabriel added to Newsgroups; .yes and .prog removed)

Chuck wrote:

>Check the backsales of Genesis albums in the recent decade. There has
>been a perpetually growing fascination and number of fans of the
>"Gabriel era" of the band.

I became a PG fan when "So" was released, though I'd heard "Shock the
Monkey" and "Games Without Frontiers". "So" was the first PG album I
bought. Over time I filled out the solo catalog and as many boots as I
could lay my hands on -- not enough, alas.

"Abacab" was the first Genesis album I bought and I got all the
subsequent releases along with "Duke". Ditto on the boots, ditto on the
not enough, alas.

For whatever reason, despite being a big fan of PG and of Genesis, I
didn't buy the pre-"Duke" Genesis catalog until spring of this year. I
still like the post-Peter and post-Steve incarnations of the band but I
sure agree with the sentiment that the fivesome represented something
special.

If they were all to perform together again, I'd sell my mother and step
over my car (or vice versa) for tickets.

>However, it is just not going to happen, IMO.

Sadly, I agree. I get the vibe from comments that they make about one
another that while hard feelings might have receded to the degree that
they can be complimentary they have no desire (or willingness) to share
a stage.

A question: Does Peter _ever_ perform songs from his Genesis days? If
not, is it a legal issue or what?

Jim
--
"I loathe people who say, 'I always read the ending of the book first.'
That really irritates me. It's like someone coming to dinner, just

Mark Rae

Dec 27, 2007, 7:54:55 PM12/27/07
"Jim Hill" <jim...@swcp.com> wrote in message

> A question: Does Peter _ever_ perform songs from his Genesis days?

No, though he actively considered performing Supper's Ready on his last tour
(not joking...)

> If not, is it a legal issue

No.

Jim Hill

Dec 27, 2007, 9:04:32 PM12/27/07
Mark Rae wrote:
>"Jim Hill" <jim...@swcp.com> wrote in message
>
>> A question: Does Peter _ever_ perform songs from his Genesis days?
>> If not, is it a legal issue
>
>No.

Awwww, don't be coy. Did he wake up one morning and say to himself
"Wow. Every song I wrote prior to my solo career is drek"?

Mark Rae

Dec 27, 2007, 9:11:22 PM12/27/07

>>> A question: Does Peter _ever_ perform songs from his Genesis days?
>>> If not, is it a legal issue
>>
>>No.
>
> Awwww, don't be coy. Did he wake up one morning and say to himself
> "Wow. Every song I wrote prior to my solo career is drek"?

I'm not being coy at all...

Whatever reason(s) Peter has for not playing Genesis music live these days,
legality is certainly not one of them...

Chuck

Dec 29, 2007, 8:27:33 AM12/29/07
On Dec 27, 6:11�pm, "Mark Rae" <m...@markNOSPAMrae.co.uk> wrote:
> "Jim Hill" <jimh...@swcp.com> wrote in message

> Whatever reason(s) Peter has for not playing Genesis music live these days,

> legality is certainly not one of them...

The last time PG did any Genesis material as a part of his solo
setlist was 78/79 ("scratch tour"). He played the title track from the
Lamb. I read his remarks about almost doing part of 'Suppers Ready' on
his most recent tour. It was cute, but to be honest, I'd say that had
as good a chance of reaching fruition as a snowball... you know where.
As PG had recently done some summer gigs with a true "best of" setlist
of his solo career, I would love to see him do a tour with a "best of"
his *CAREER* setlist! Having said that, unfortunately I would place
that in the "Snowball" category as well.
Happy '08
CB

Man...@usenet.com

Jan 12, 2008, 2:53:49 AM1/12/08

On 29-Dec-2007, Chuck <ShorT...@aol.com> wrote:

> He played the title track from the
> Lamb. I read his remarks about almost doing part of 'Suppers Ready' on
> his most recent tour. It was cute, but to be honest, I'd say that had
> as good a chance of reaching fruition as a snowball

As many times as I have seen Gabriel I have never walked away thinking a
show was lacking because there were no Genesis tunes played. That said I
would love to see him play the closing section of The Musical Box and Carpet
Crawlers live once before I die.
--
Without music, life would be a mistake.
~Nietzsche

http://www.usenet.com

Sandoz

Apr 1, 2008, 11:10:19 AM4/1/08
>>The last time PG did any Genesis material as a part of his solo
setlist was 78/79 ("scratch tour"). He played the title track from the
Lamb.

He also performed Back In New York City from Lamb on this tour. I know,
because I was fortunate enough to see this tour :)

Will Dockery

Mar 23, 2016, 10:22:39 AM3/23/16
Jim Hill wrote:

> A question: Does Peter _ever_ perform songs from his Genesis days? If
> not, is it a legal issue or what?

Seems to me the time is right that Peter Gabriel bring us "New Blood" versions of the Genesis classis, say, starting with a complete re-interpretation of "Selling England by the Pound"... that would be pretty fantastic.

:)