Re: JitterbugSales.com 46398

sa...@jitterbugsales.com

Jan 14, 2008, 5:29:04 PM1/14/08
were obliged to fight with all their
might to resist it, and yet no reason suggested to them why they should
do it.

About the same time, there were two remarkable instances of persons led
away with strange enthusiastic delusions; one at Suffield, and another
at South Hadley. That which has made the greatest noise in the country
was the conduct of the man at South Hadley, whose delusion was, that he
thought himself divinely instructed to direct a poor man in melancholy
and despairing circumstances, to say certain words in prayer to God, as
recorded in Psalm cxvi. 4, for his own relief. The man is esteemed a
pious man. I have seen this error of his, had a particular acquaintance
with him, and I believe none would question his piety who had such
acquaintance. He gave me a particular account of the manner how he was
deluded, which is too long to be here inserted; but, in short, he
exceedingly rejoiced, and was elevated with the extraordinary work
carried on in this part of the country; and was possessed with an
opinion, that it was the beginning of the glorious times of the church
spoken of in Scripture. He had read it as the opinion of some divines,
that many in these times should be endued with extraordinary gifts of
the Holy Ghost, and had embraced the notion, though he had at first