New World Man (Rush) = Rearviewmirror

Kevin C. Ahern

Nov 15, 1994, 8:42:23 AM11/15/94
I don't know if this has been said here before but....
My brother is a big Rush fan. He told me about a Rush song called
New World Man that sounds amazingly like Rearview.
Anyone heard it?
-Kev

BTW - Not enough of you responded to my post TREMOT CHRIST GREEK TRAGEDY - a play
I worked hard on that :)
....and I though you guys were my friends (*cry*).

Kevin Gandel

Nov 15, 1994, 11:01:05 AM11/15/94
Kevin C. Ahern (kah...@vt.edu) wrote:
: I don't know if this has been said here before but....

I'm a huge Rush fan as well, and he's right...sorta...The begining of the
song is almost identical, but after that it changes...

Oddsman --
*** The answers are getting harder and harder ***
*** And there ain't no way to bargain or to barter ***
*** But if you've got the angst or the ardor ***
*** You might faint from the fight but you're gonna find it ***
*** For every challenge could have paradies behind it ***
*** And if you accept what you have lost and you stand tall ***
*** You might just get it back and can get it all ***
*** So now you know why it' a long way to fall ***
*** Yeah cause it's a long way to fall... ***
*** -Blues Traveler- ***
*** @wam.umd.edu ***
*** OO DD DD SSSS M M A N N @entropy.dorm.umd.edu ***
*** O O D D D D S MM MM AAA NN N @stirling.dorm.umd.edu ***
*** OO DD DD SSSS M M M A A N NN @genocide.dorm.umd.edu ***
*** ***

Scott Daniel Morano

Nov 15, 1994, 2:41:00 PM11/15/94
In article <3aadrv$d...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, kah...@vt.edu (Kevin C. Ahern) writes...

>I don't know if this has been said here before but....
>My brother is a big Rush fan. He told me about a Rush song called
>New World Man that sounds amazingly like Rearview.
>Anyone heard it?
>-Kev
>
>BTW - Not enough of you responded to my post TREMOT CHRIST GREEK TRAGEDY - a play
>I worked hard on that :)
>.....and I though you guys were my friends (*cry*).

hey man,
we still love you! brush your melancholy away and lets discuss the
possible resemblence of "new world man" to "rearviewmirror". i happen
to be an avid ruch fan myself, and new world man is one of their most
renowned tunes ever written. i have compared both songs, and yes, if
carefully scrutinized, one could discover some possible correlations.
howver, it's the tempo of the song which provides the very first, and
possibly only, relation to the each other. both are very quick-paced
and charged with continuous energy. as far as the music itself, that
requires more in-depth investigation which i am unable to do at this
very moment. for those seriously interested, "new world man" can by
found on the album "signals". in the meantime, you leave me utterly
curious and now i must go home and find out the answer for myself!

scott

SEGAL, STEPHANIE L.

Nov 16, 1994, 2:07:00 PM11/16/94
In article <3aadrv$d...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, kah...@vt.edu (Kevin C. Ahern) writes...
>I don't know if this has been said here before but....
>My brother is a big Rush fan. He told me about a Rush song called
>New World Man that sounds amazingly like Rearview.
>Anyone heard it?
>-Kev
>
>BTW - Not enough of you responded to my post TREMOT CHRIST GREEK TRAGEDY - a play
>I worked hard on that :)
>.....and I though you guys were my friends (*cry*).

hey kev,
don't cry man, i found your play to be rather respectable and innovative. all th
that effort just for us? you shouldn't have.....I know new world man but never
listened to it in that context-i'll get back to you on it
steph rw>

Sean Marien

Nov 16, 1994, 11:15:52 PM11/16/94
Kevin C. Ahern (kah...@vt.edu) wrote:
: I don't know if this has been said here before but....

Ian Strulovitch

Nov 18, 1994, 1:51:23 AM11/18/94
Kevin C. Ahern <kah...@vt.edu> writes:

>I don't know if this has been said here before but....
>My brother is a big Rush fan. He told me about a Rush song called
>New World Man that sounds amazingly like Rearview.
>Anyone heard it?

Yes.. I just pulle dit out, popped it in to my C-ROM and am listening to it
nowAnyways.. I sorta here the similarities. However, it's not really that close.
Seems to be just a bit of a fluke. Probably some diversion on similar chords.

Ian.

acemac...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2017, 11:41:46 AM1/29/17
It's very similar and I'm sure the pearl jam guys were influenced by Rush. Most good musicians are. I don't think they blatantly tried to cop the riff but it's pretty similar.