Pearl Jam and the occult

Suzanne Chalmers

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

David Williams wrote:

> I've read several things recently linking Pearl Jam (especially Jeff) with
> the occult. The word is No Code will be particularly *mystic*. Does anyone
> know how deep the interest goes? Is it deep enough to warrant a good
> Christian boy examining his musical tastes?

Those long-haired freaks are satan worshippers, each and every one. Best
you cease listening to rock and roll, the scourge of this generation,
and come back to the fold, young man.

GB

Steph Segal

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

hahahhahahahah
excellent.
steph

Xana

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

d...@griffin.bis.net.au (David Williams) wrote:

>I've read several things recently linking Pearl Jam (especially Jeff) with
>the occult. The word is No Code will be particularly *mystic*. Does anyone
>know how deep the interest goes? Is it deep enough to warrant a good
>Christian boy examining his musical tastes?

This is rather confusing, considering that in the liner notes to the
Three Fish album, Jeff, Robbi, and Richard are kneeling (their big
butts :)) in prayer in front of a church with a cross on top - at
least, it *looks* like a cross to me... They're prolly all Christian
as hell, although I'd actually rather have them be something else...
as long as they don't worship Satan. Maybe Wiccans or Buddhists or...
well, they might make neat Catholics... (I'm not big on
Christianity/organized religion, but I like all the ceremony in
Catholic religion). Then again, what the hell do I know, and why am I
asking (you know that's what you were thinking! :))???!

Xana

Xana

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

d...@griffin.bis.net.au (David Williams) wrote:

>I've read several things recently linking Pearl Jam (especially Jeff) with
>the occult. The word is No Code will be particularly *mystic*. Does anyone
>know how deep the interest goes? Is it deep enough to warrant a good
>Christian boy examining his musical tastes?

It is absolutely *ridiculous* of you to decide not to like a band
because of their religion. If it shows up in Ed's lyrics very
strongly or something like that, then I could understand - but I
honestly doubt that they're the type to put subliminal messages on
their albums. If you like the music, stick with it.

Xana

David Williams

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Jett

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

On Jul 24, 1996 19:58:54 in article <Pearl Jam and the occult>,

'd...@griffin.bis.net.au (David Williams)' wrote:

>I've read several things recently linking Pearl Jam (especially Jeff) with

>the occult

******
Occult? Not a la Jimmy Page! Some of their music reminds me of stuff you
might do yoga to, but occult???? Not unless we're talking blood. ;)

Jett

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

On Jul 24, 1996 14:21:40 in article <Re: Pearl Jam and the occult>,

'Xa...@InfoAve.Net (Xana)' wrote:

>religion. If it shows up in Ed's lyrics very
>strongly or something like that, then I could understand

******

I think PJ is has an extremely strong spiritual/religious/religious slant
to their music...it's just not branded.

Lava

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

I think they are very spiritual also. The candles all over the stage and
the 'crown of thorns' chandelier hanging over them all set the mood for a
spiritual and bonding-type positive experience. We celebrate the music
together, they aren't only there to entertain us from a stage.

Lava

On Jul 25, 1996 02:04:04 in article <Re: Pearl Jam and the occult>,

Gerry McConkey

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

In article <dw-240796...@mrv-dialup02.bis.net.au>, d...@griffin.bis.net.au (David Williams) says:

>I've read several things recently linking Pearl Jam (especially Jeff) with
>the occult. The word is No Code will be particularly *mystic*. Does anyone
>know how deep the interest goes? Is it deep enough to warrant a good
>Christian boy examining his musical tastes?

Hmmm...Could be that you are thinking of the 12th century Rumi fable
about three fish that subsequently became the name of Jeff, Robbi and
Richard's band. Circumstances around their clicking on this project,
according to Veronika Kalmar's article in the Rocket magazine, seemed to
be a flowing set of coincidences.

Do not confuse any fundamentalist structures with the synchronicity of
our lives. This is a separate, and perhaps mysterious to some, part of
our psyche. I also think it is the part that binds humankind above and
beyond what we may term "religion". We all are born, breathe, eat, talk,
shit, drink, cry, laugh, die, no matter who we are.

This, in no way is related to the occult, parlour games or bingo.

Peace, Gerry

Jiff

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

Xa...@InfoAve.Net (Xana) wrote:

>honestly doubt that they're the type to put subliminal messages on
>their albums. If you like the music, stick with it.

"pete townsend, oh you saved my life"

- pry to

http://www.buffnet.net/~jiff

Steph Segal

Jul 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/26/96

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Jiff wrote:

> Xa...@InfoAve.Net (Xana) wrote:
>
> >honestly doubt that they're the type to put subliminal messages on
> >their albums. If you like the music, stick with it.
>
> "pete townsend, oh you saved my life"
>
> - pry to

thats not a subliminal message. its backwards..and i've yet to
hear it a nyways.
steph

> http://www.buffnet.net/~jiff

StatmanBBB

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <4t6kmk$n...@news2.h1.usa.pipeline.com>,
jet...@usa.pipeline.com(Jett) writes:

>I think PJ is has an extremely strong spiritual/religious/religious slant
>to their music...it's just not branded.

Well, I wouldn't say that there is a religious slant or even a religious
hint, but that's because I'm atheist and I really would be disappointed in
them for putting one in, but like we've all said before, Pearl Jam's music
is different for everyone, open to interpretation and feelings.

Brendan

i'm

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

you can get that file from numerous pj pages...try it...
sammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LUNAR1610

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

In article <4tekq9$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, statm...@aol.com
(StatmanBBB) writes:

>Well, I wouldn't say that there is a religious slant or even a religious
>hint, but that's because I'm atheist and I really would be disappointed
in
>them for putting one in, but like we've all said before, Pearl Jam's
music
>is different for everyone, open to interpretation and feelings.
>
>Brendan

Well..I agree that I don't quite see "religious"..but I definitely see
lots of *spirituality* which is something very different from being
religious....All things considered...I wouldn't say that PJ is turning
into some Christian Band (though I do love Jars Of Clay)..but I think it's
also safe to say that over these last five years as the band has grown
personally and learnt a little more about themselves..they've also
developed a deeper sense of spirituality and a oneness with self and
surroundings ...which I think is a very good thing. We all need a little
spirituality in our lives..I think that's vital in acheiving true
happiness and learning to be at peace with yourself others and
nature...Like for you Brendan..you indicate that you're an atheist..but
since you're also a surfer, I'd say that probably makes you even more so
than the average folk a little more away of nature around you and the
value of introspection..both of which are things very spiritual in
nature...

~MoonBeam

LUNAR1610

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

In article <4tes17$c...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, luna...@aol.com
(LUNAR1610) writes:

>away of nature

that's aware..

~MoonBeam

StatmanBBB

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

You know, I was thinking a little more about this when I was at work
today, and I thought about what being a surfer meant, and what being good
entails. First, you have to be aware of the Ocean. Her strength, her
weakness, her power, her condition, and to have respect for her. Then to
get in the water and become one with it. Have you ever seen a surfer
thrashing around in the water, battling with the Ocean to try and get a
ride? No. He has to be patient, and move out of the Oceans way when She's
angry, and then find a good time to become part of the wave. You don't
conquer a wave, you befriend it. Nothing to be gained by fighting the
ocean. She's elusive in your grasp, and can grab you in an instant.

Brendan

Jiff

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

Steph Segal <sl_...@alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Jiff wrote:

>> Xa...@InfoAve.Net (Xana) wrote:
>>
>> >honestly doubt that they're the type to put subliminal messages on
>> >their albums. If you like the music, stick with it.
>>
>> "pete townsend, oh you saved my life"
>>
>> - pry to

>thats not a subliminal message. its backwards..and i've yet to
>hear it a nyways.
>steph

i thought subliminal meant not obviously there, and it's not. and
listen for it, it's there.

jiff

http://www.buffnet.net/~jiff

Steph Segal

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Jiff wrote:

> >> "pete townsend, oh you saved my life"
> >>
> >> - pry to
>
> >thats not a subliminal message. its backwards..and i've yet to
> >hear it a nyways.
> >steph
>
> i thought subliminal meant not obviously there, and it's not. and
> listen for it, it's there.
>
> jiff

putting a backwards message in something is not using the subliminal
cuz you can only hear it when you play it backwards. subliminal
messages would be there when playing it forwards.

StatmanBBB

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

(LUNAR1610) writes:

>Well..I agree that I don't quite see "religious"..but I definitely see
>lots of *spirituality* which is something very different from being
>religious....All things considered...I wouldn't say that PJ is turning
>into some Christian Band (though I do love Jars Of Clay)..but I think
it's
>also safe to say that over these last five years as the band has grown
>personally and learnt a little more about themselves..they've also
>developed a deeper sense of spirituality and a oneness with self and
>surroundings ...which I think is a very good thing. We all need a little
>spirituality in our lives..I think that's vital in acheiving true
>happiness and learning to be at peace with yourself others and
>nature...Like for you Brendan..you indicate that you're an atheist..but
>since you're also a surfer, I'd say that probably makes you even more so
>than the average folk a little more away of nature around you and the
>value of introspection..both of which are things very spiritual in
>nature...
>
>~MoonBeam

Exactly Davina...Just what I was thinking. No religion. Just spirit.

Brendan

Stephen Buford Rochester

Jul 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/30/96

you must have a boring job.
Eddie means what he says, nothing more, nothing less.

Stephen
--
Stephen Rochester "I am the Lizard King
Buf...@netpathway.com I can do anything" -Jim Morrison

"I never shook Satans hand hey look for yourself" -Edward Vedder

lin...@comcat.com

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

I've been a fish since I was about 5, and I agree with some of what
Brendan has to say. The ocean controls you, you do not control it. Its
the ultimate experience of being one with nature. I do not agree that
its angry though. You are accepting what nature has to give, which is
what life is all about. Surfing is one of many ways to experience this.
Hiking is another... Indians lived from nature and cultivated it. We
have this planet because of nature, not because of the corporate industry
who seem to control everything now. It's very sad to see how people are
being influenced by politicians, industry etc. feeding off their fear.
Stand up and do something, anything. Give a call to 1-800-3-what-2do,
organize efforts in your community to save local lands etc... There is
room for change. Thanks for reading.

Alessiana

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Stephen Buford Rochester wrote:
> you must have a boring job.
> Eddie means what he says, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> Stephen

i felt brendan's comments were very sensitive and spiritual. maybe you
and I don't "get" ed, stephen... but somehow i don't think that brendan
suffers from the same lack of sensitivity

aless

Stephen Buford Rochester

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Maybe you don't get me Aless.
Anyway how would you know how sensitive I am?
But that is beside that fact that I don't care what you think of me.

To quote a great man "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
If you look to deeply for something, you will lose the true meaning.
Take Eddie at his word, not words you want him to say.

If he says "I never shook satan's hand"
maybe that would mean he never shook satan's hand

If he says "don't call me daughter"
maybe it's about someone who doesn't want their daughter to call.

Don't write in crap that is not there.

Stephen
--
Stephen Rochester "I am the Lizard King
Buf...@netpathway.com I can do anything" -Jim Morrison

"Don't mean to push but I'm being shoved" -Edward Vedder

Jett

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

On Jul 30, 1996 23:33:03 in article <Re: Pearl Jam and the occult>,

'Stephen Buford Rochester <buf...@netpathway.com>' wrote:

>> You know, I was thinking a little more about this when I was at work
>> today, and I thought about what being a surfer meant, and what being
good
>> entails. First, you have to be aware of the Ocean. Her strength, her
>> weakness, her power, her condition, and to have respect for her. Then to

>> get in the water and become one with it. Have you ever seen a surfer
>> thrashing around in the water, battling with the Ocean to try and get a
>> ride? No. He has to be patient, and move out of the Oceans way when
She's
>> angry, and then find a good time to become part of the wave. You don't
>> conquer a wave, you befriend it. Nothing to be gained by fighting the
>> ocean. She's elusive in your grasp, and can grab you in an instant.
>>
>> Brendan
>

>you must have a boring job.
>Eddie means what he says, nothing more, nothing less.

******
I'm surprised you're hanging out here, Stephen. I hope you don't have a
job in a publishing house, or have any aspirations to teach/create art or
literature.....

LUNAR1610

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

In article <3202E5...@netpathway.com>, Stephen Buford Rochester
<buf...@netpathway.com> writes:

>Don't write in crap that is not there.
>
>Stephen

If you see it, then it's there..I thought that was the very reason why you
have the right to interpret songs as you feel?...

~MoonBeam

Alessiana

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96
to Stephen Buford Rochester

okay, okay.... you are correct. i don't know you.

but can't you see how rude your comment was to brendan? that's what set
me off. he had written some lovely, sensitive thoughts and you dissed
them. ed also writes sensitive things. i was pointing out they had
that in common. i also don't assume that i am as sensitive as either of
them. i don't think i am. my guess (cos i don't know you) is that you
and i suffer from a similar lack of sensitivity. you, because you said
that to brendan; me, because i am saying this to you.

you're prolly a great guy. i can sometimes be a great girl, but not
always.

aless

Stephen Buford Rochester wrote:

> Alessiana wrote:
> >
> > Stephen Buford Rochester wrote:

> > > you must have a boring job.
> > > Eddie means what he says, nothing more, nothing less.
> > >

> > > Stephen
> >
> > i felt brendan's comments were very sensitive and spiritual. maybe you
> > and I don't "get" ed, stephen... but somehow i don't think that brendan
> > suffers from the same lack of sensitivity
> >
> > aless
>
> Maybe you don't get me Aless.
> Anyway how would you know how sensitive I am?
> But that is beside that fact that I don't care what you think of me.
>
> To quote a great man "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
> If you look to deeply for something, you will lose the true meaning.
> Take Eddie at his word, not words you want him to say.
>
> If he says "I never shook satan's hand"
> maybe that would mean he never shook satan's hand
>
> If he says "don't call me daughter"
> maybe it's about someone who doesn't want their daughter to call.
>

> Don't write in crap that is not there.
>
> Stephen

kevin...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2019, 10:44:07 PM1/29/19