Why do People think STP and Pearl Jam are alike?

Dave Choweller

Feb 16, 1994, 6:45:55 PM2/16/94

I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like
Pearl Jam. Can anyone tell me why they're accused of ripping off Pearl
Jam? Their music is harder, more like speed metal or something, not that
I know that much about speed metal. Is it just that Wieland's voice sounds
a little like Eddie H. Christ's?

Ob. PJ content:
"Soap is ... so much clearer"
--
What's this with God wanting to be praised all the time?
What is he that insecure? --David H. Leppo

Grant Roberts

Feb 17, 1994, 1:42:58 AM2/17/94
: I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like

: Pearl Jam. Can anyone tell me why they're accused of ripping off Pearl
: Jam? Their music is harder, more like speed metal or something, not that
: I know that much about speed metal. Is it just that Wieland's voice sounds
: a little like Eddie H. Christ's?

Ignorant people think STP and Pearl Jam sound the same simply because of
Weiland's voice in the song "Plush". STP had a legitimate hit with that song,
and now they can't go anywhere without being compared to Pearl Jam, even
though the two bands are completely different. When I first heard "Sex Type
Thing", I thought it was Alice In Chains. When I first heard "Creep" (the
REAL version), I thought it was Nirvana. "Piece of Pie" is probably (IMHO)
the best song on Core. I hope they don't release it.

And Metallica is speed metal. STP is...well...something else.
_______
/ \ /\O__ grob...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu
/ |> | /| |\ \
(_, |/ | | \ \ Chicago Blackhawks
|__ || | | |\ \ Not just a team--a reason to live
|___/||/| |\/ \/
\ \__\/ I don't intend to offend, I just offend with my intent

Daniel V Zurawski

Feb 17, 1994, 4:04:07 PM2/17/94

My god someone finally mentioned this. They are not alike at all. Since
most of the people in this world are so ignorant everyone just assume that
Weiland was ripping of Pearl Jam. Well whoever things so is totally wrong.
The music is completely different and the lyrical style is completely
different. I like STP but don't flame me for this. The point of this
article is to say that PJ and STP are DIFFERENT. THE MUSICAL STYLE IS
COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. So before anybody else says STP is ripping off Pearl
Jam consider if you anything about how to play an instrument and if you
don't really try opening your mind to listen to everything before you make
a comparison.
I love Pearl Jam and I know what I listen to because I learn how to play
it on guitar. STP is not as difficult or dynamic as Pearl Jam but their
harder edge makes up for. Piece of Pie sums up my feelings for all the
crap that has been talked about STP by people who don't even know what a
chord is.
Peace Out
I'm bitter(What the Hell Have I??????)

Z.
The only Z. Penn Baskeball Rules.

Serge Simard

Feb 17, 1994, 6:48:38 PM2/17/94
In article <2jub7j$o...@news.csus.edu>, da...@meridian.csci.csusb.edu (Dave Choweller) writes:

> I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like
> Pearl Jam. Can anyone tell me why they're accused of ripping off Pearl
> Jam? Their music is harder, more like speed metal or something, not that
> I know that much about speed metal. Is it just that Wieland's voice sounds
> a little like Eddie H. Christ's?

You're right.
Having seen both live, the differences stands up even more.
I guess, comparaison comes from superficial listenings (i.e. = music press)
of both albums.

But i'd go for Christ music anyday... :-)

Tel@Ericsson: (514) 738-8300 ext.2506 Serge Simard
Tel@DMR : (514) 877-3447 CEE Project,
Mail : lmc...@LMC.Ericsson.se Ericsson Communications Inc., Montreal.

Jeff Shih

Feb 18, 1994, 3:22:44 AM2/18/94

Dave Choweller <da...@meridian.csci.csusb.edu> wrote:

>I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like
>Pearl Jam. Can anyone tell me why they're accused of ripping off Pearl
>Jam? Their music is harder, more like speed metal or something, not that

I have Core, and Ten., and they both have that kind of garage band
type of sound, in a way. So does smashing pumpkins anda couple others.
PJ's "Vs" album is too trendy to be considered real alternative. The
lyrics in "Vs" are kinda shallow... The band kinda seems a sell-out...
Consider the lyrics, they are all like mono-sylabic, and is just a lot of
talk. STP dont seem quite the sell outs, but who knows, they could change
just like PJ.
In any freakin case, JOY DIVISION RULES.

-david wee/da...@qedbbs.com

sbsb...@dct.ac.uk

Feb 18, 1994, 4:29:24 AM2/18/94
In article <2jv3li$h...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>, grob...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu (Grant Roberts) writes:
> : I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like
> : Pearl Jam. Can anyone tell me why they're accused of ripping off Pearl
> : Jam? Their music is harder, more like speed metal or something, not that
> : I know that much about speed metal. Is it just that Wieland's voice sounds
> : a little like Eddie H. Christ's?
>
> Ignorant people think STP and Pearl Jam sound the same simply because of
> Weiland's voice in the song "Plush". STP had a legitimate hit with that song,
> and now they can't go anywhere without being compared to Pearl Jam, even
> though the two bands are completely different. When I first heard "Sex Type
> Thing", I thought it was Alice In Chains. When I first heard "Creep" (the
> REAL version), I thought it was Nirvana. "Piece of Pie" is probably (IMHO)
> the best song on Core. I hope they don't release it.
>
> And Metallica is speed metal. STP is...well...something else.

Ignorant....you said it. Personally I don't like Peral Jam ... I am only
reading this because my mate is. Metallica aren't speed metal. Heavy maybe.
Metallica aren't fast at all. If I were you I would listen to Sodom, Dismember,
Deicide, Napalm Death, Cynic, Death, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Dark Angel,
Early Kreator, Bathory etc. So there.

> _______
> / \ /\O__ grob...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu
> / |> | /| |\ \
> (_, |/ | | \ \ Chicago Blackhawks
> |__ || | | |\ \ Not just a team--a reason to live
> |___/||/| |\/ \/
> \ \__\/ I don't intend to offend, I just offend with my intent

--

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
| Stupid drawing made out |

Grant Roberts

Feb 18, 1994, 9:59:41 AM2/18/94
sbsb...@dct.ac.uk wrote:

: Ignorant....you said it. Personally I don't like Peral Jam ... I am only

: reading this because my mate is. Metallica aren't speed metal. Heavy maybe.
: Metallica aren't fast at all. If I were you I would listen to Sodom, Dismember,
: Deicide, Napalm Death, Cynic, Death, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Dark Angel,
: Early Kreator, Bathory etc. So there.

No. Metallica IS speed metal, by their own definition. They defined speed
metal in the '80s. Death, Morbid Angel, Dark Angel, THOSE are death metal.
Metallica is speed metal. Why are we arguing about that here?

_______
/ \ /\O__ grob...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu
/ |> | /| |\ \
(_, |/ | | \ \ Chicago Blackhawks
|__ || | | |\ \ Not just a team--a reason to live
|___/||/| |\/ \/
\ \__\/ I don't intend to offend, I just offend with my intent

: -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

:
:

Tazmanian Devil

Feb 18, 1994, 11:34:41 AM2/18/94
Here is why people think PEarl Jam and STP sound similar:

You can't deny that the first time you heard Plush you
thought it was a new Pearl Jam single. The vocals in Plush
sound a lot like Even Flow, especially with the "and i'm feee-lin'"
lines. That's why...the first impression everyone got from STP
was that they were PJ ripoffs...but actually they are not much
alike.

naArF!

Christian Lampl

Feb 18, 1994, 4:20:23 PM2/18/94
ci...@athena.mit.edu (Tazmanian Devil) writes:

Well, if you know these songs they don't sound much alike I would say.

Maybe some people think it does, just because both singers
sang something like "Feeeeeling" with a long "e".
But then many bands sound like PJ I guess (or PJ sounds like them ?)

But world is full of ignorant people and that's why MTV loved "Plush".
Because for them it sounded like PJ and they found another band
they can throw on the market.

Bye,
Christian

--
"They don't grab, don't fight, don't oppress an equal's given rights.
Starve the poor so they can be well fed, line their holes with the

Gorin No Sho

Feb 18, 1994, 4:51:09 PM2/18/94

Actually the first song I heard by STP was Sex Type Thing and so when Plush
was played on MTV I already knew about STP. I don't think the bands sound
anything alike, except a little bit in PLush. Most people who think that
the two bands sound alike have only heard that one song by STP. They should
give the album a listen because I think it is pretty good.

just my two cents..

Musashi

Reynaldo S Dalisay

Feb 18, 1994, 4:53:11 PM2/18/94
Grant Roberts (grob...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu) wrote:

: Ignorant people think STP and Pearl Jam sound the same simply because of

: Weiland's voice in the song "Plush". STP had a legitimate hit with
: that song

That was MY initial response when I first heard it. Come on, dudes,
don't tell me y'all didn't initially fall for it too. After one or
two more times listening to "Plush," though, you'd be able to
differentiate between Weiland (...is it with an i or a y?) and Eddie V.

: When I first heard "Sex Type Thing", I thought it was Alice In

: Chains. When I first heard "Creep" (the REAL version), I thought it was
: Nirvana.

Would this classify STP as (non-Seattle) "grunge"?

STP has a distinct sound in their own right. The similarities between
them and the rest are common to the genre. I'd think that each of
these bands will eventually go off into their own individual styles
with their next releases.

| Reynaldo S. Dalisay Electrical Engineering Class of 1994 |
| "Nirvana sucks" Moore School of Electrical Engineering |
+----------------------- University of Pennsylvania ------------------------+
| Electronic mail address: dal...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |

Jim Comeau

Feb 18, 1994, 7:47:56 PM2/18/94
Gorin No Sho (mus...@umich.edu) wrote:

: Actually the first song I heard by STP was Sex Type Thing and so when Plush

: was played on MTV I already knew about STP. I don't think the bands sound
: anything alike, except a little bit in PLush. Most people who think that
: the two bands sound alike have only heard that one song by STP. They should
: give the album a listen because I think it is pretty good.

I know this is alt.music.pear-jam and not alt.music.STP, but here's what I
think. Yes, STP are talented and have some potential, but they gotta find their
own niche. We've already heard "Core" before, but on different albums. For
instance, if Weiland doesn't look the SLIGHTEST bit like Vedder in the video
for "Plush" I need to have my head examined. Also, the lyrics of "Wicked
Garden" : "I'm alive ... so alive now ..." Been there, done that.

Aside from Pearl Jam, I thought Weiland was trying to look a little like
the singer from Pantera in the video for "Sex Type Thing", and the riff
for that song was taken DIRECTLY from Danzig's "Snakes of Christ" which
came out way back in 1990.

Perhaps everybody associates STP with other bands because of MTV. The visual
is a little to overwhelming NOT to draw at least PHYSICAL comparisons between
the bands, which associates the music in a roundabout way. I don't know, I'm
no psychologist ...

Before we criticize STP too much, lets give them at least one more chance to
follow up with a new album, then see what happens ...

Jim

(PS - I need tix for PJ in Boston. Anybody got just one that they'd sell
without me needing to drop out of college to afford? Thanks.)

Guy K Mcarthur

Feb 18, 1994, 9:49:16 PM2/18/94
In article <2k0m47$s...@netnews.upenn.edu>,
Daniel V Zurawski <zura...@mail.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
\>
\>I just bought Stone Temple Pilots' Core album. They sound nothing like

I like STP and Pearl Jam too. However, I think they are more
similar that you say. Like someone else commented earlier, when I first
heard STP I thought they sounded like Alice In Chains (that was when I
first say sex type thing on mtv). Then that acoustic version of (I forget
the name of the song) was played a lot on the radio and I thought it
sounded like Pearl Jam. (I'm not saying "ripoff.") My friend bought the
album , and upon hearing it a few times I noted similarities with Alice,
Pearl Jam, and Nirvana, in short everything that was popular in rock at
the time the album came out. So I do think they they consciously decided
to go with a similar sound to what was coming out of Seattle at the time.
But they are just original enough, in my opinion, to be worth listening
to on their own merit. Hell, its just one album, so you can`tslag off the
band cause of that.

PETERS, JEFFREY J.

Feb 19, 1994, 12:21:00 AM2/19/94
In article <2k3njs$d...@news.bu.edu>, jim...@bu.edu (Jim Comeau) writes...

>Gorin No Sho (mus...@umich.edu) wrote:
>
>I know this is alt.music.pear-jam and not alt.music.STP, but here's what I
>think. Yes, STP are talented and have some potential, but they gotta find their
>own niche. We've already heard "Core" before, but on different albums. For
>instance, if Weiland doesn't look the SLIGHTEST bit like Vedder in the video

Yeah, like they said "hey Scott, you look like Vedder. Let's start a
Pearl Jam sounding band. I don't think he looks anything like Eddie in
"Plush". Since when has Eddie had bright red hair?

__

jj_...@pavo.concordia.ca February 24, 6 a.m.
"There's been a body found
Go Irish! May God and Holtz in Washington state, Diane.
watch over you! A young woman, wrapped in
plastic. I'm headed for a
Clemens for Cy Young, 1994 little town called Twin Peaks."
Agent Cooper

Ron Olson

Feb 19, 1994, 1:07:45 PM2/19/94

First of all, I think that the Stone Temple Pilots are a great band. I feel I must preface what I am about to say about them. They chose Brendan O'brien to produce their Core record. His previous credits included the new Pearl Jam, and other "alternative"smash hits. Mr. O'Brien is an excellent producer, however his work has that distinct sound. If a similar band to Pearl Jam is produced in the same manner, it will sound that way!!! STP are doing themselves a great disservice with the producer that they
chose. They need to find a producer in a new region of music (not Seattle), such as chicago

DOOZER

Feb 19, 1994, 4:35:41 PM2/19/94
In article <2jub7j$o...@news.csus.edu>, da...@meridian.csci.csusb.edu (Dave Choweller) writes:

You are completely right. The whole comparison didn't start til stp's second
release Plush. Then people got to see a lot of Wieland and the way he sings in
the video. It was overplayed and the way he sorta mumbled and leaned into the
mike remind some of Vedder. However their music is heavier. They sing about
totally different ideas a lot of the time. And Stp's album actually came out
in 1992, not that long after Ten. Certainly not long enough for them to try and
rip PJ off. -Matt

Jim Comeau

Feb 19, 1994, 7:15:55 PM2/19/94
PETERS, JEFFREY J. (jj_...@pavo.concordia.ca) wrote:
: Yeah, like they said "hey Scott, you look like Vedder. Let's start a

: Pearl Jam sounding band. I don't think he looks anything like Eddie in
: "Plush". Since when has Eddie had bright pink hair?

You can look like someone by having more than just similar features. Look
at the way he approaches the microphone and how he moves around the stage.
THAT'S what I mean - not that Vedder ever had pink hair. That's NOT the point.

Jim

Klecker

Feb 20, 1994, 12:21:48 PM2/20/94
> I like STP and Pearl Jam too. However, I think they are more
>similar that you say.

They are not at all similiar in any way except that they both come from
Seattle. That might be why people think they are alike. reason?
Thier music is that of Seattle style.

>Like someone else commented earlier, when I first
>heard STP I thought they sounded like Alice In Chains (that was when I
>first say sex type thing on mtv).

Another misperception. However this is new to me. When I first heard STP
they sounded like a group they perhaps had a similar guitarist but I knew
it wasn't Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains. It was just some new group out there
that ROCKED! However back to the Alice in Chains bit, no comparison at all!
Alice in Chains has a music style that sounds like they are off key but
really they utilize it well. They have a sound that is real grim and gothic
but damn cool. STP's sounds are quite clear and precise,
not to pick on ALice in Chains who in my book are gods!

>was played a lot on the radio and I thought it
>sounded like Pearl Jam. (I'm not saying "ripoff.") My friend bought the
>album , and upon hearing it a few times I noted similarities with Alice,
>Pearl Jam, and Nirvana,

OF COURSE! These groups all originated from Seattle! Seattle based music
style. Of course they sound all alike. BUT!!!! They all are different
in what style they sing and perform.

>in short everything that was popular in rock at
>the time the album came out. So I do think they they consciously decided
>to go with a similar sound to what was coming out of Seattle at the time.
>But they are just original enough, in my opinion, to be worth listening
>to on their own merit. Hell, its just one album, so you can`tslag off the
>band cause of that.

Thank you!

*
* I am a man, a man who seems to have some sort of identity crisis.
* Weiland why you comb your hair like that, Weiland. Why your hair
* orange like that Weiland. I don't get it!!!!! HELP ME!!! HELP ME!!!!!!
* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
* -Do you wish to know who said this?

Jim Comeau

Feb 20, 1994, 1:47:40 PM2/20/94
Klecker (kle...@expert.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
[...]

: >
: >was played a lot on the radio and I thought it
: >sounded like Pearl Jam. (I'm not saying "ripoff.") My friend bought the
: >album , and upon hearing it a few times I noted similarities with Alice,
: >Pearl Jam, and Nirvana,

: OF COURSE! These groups all originated from Seattle! Seattle based music
: style. Of course they sound all alike. BUT!!!! They all are different
: in what style they sing and perform.

ETC ETC.

STP is from San Diego, not Seattle.

Jiim

P.L. Steppic

Feb 20, 1994, 4:22:29 PM2/20/94
In article <CLJ9K...@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> kle...@expert.cc.purdue.edu (Klecker) writes:
>> I like STP and Pearl Jam too. However, I think they are more
>>similar that you say.
>
>They are not at all similiar in any way except that they both come from
>Seattle. That might be why people think they are alike. reason?
>Thier music is that of Seattle style.

STP are NOT from Seattle...I honestly thought, the first time I heard
"Plush," that it was a new one from PJ. That's why people think they're
alike. Listening to the rest of their music, though, I must say they
don't sound at all alike -- except for that one song, and the more I
heard it, the less I felt that way. So if they're not alike, maybe we
should drop them from this newsgroup.

--
//////////^\\\\\\\\\\ +------------------------+
<<<<<<<< Pat >>>>>>>> | "That cat's something |

Daniel Luhde-Thompson

Feb 21, 1994, 6:41:40 PM2/21/94
>> And Metallica is speed metal. STP is...well...something else.
>
>Ignorant....you said it. Personally I don't like Peral Jam ... I am only
>reading this because my mate is. Metallica aren't speed metal. Heavy maybe.
>Metallica aren't fast at all. If I were you I would listen to Sodom, Dismember,
>Deicide, Napalm Death, Cynic, Death, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Dark Angel,
>Early Kreator, Bathory etc. So there.

Nope. I think you are verging onto death metal ground there. I think the
classic definition for "speed metal" is Megadeth. And Napalm Death are shite.

Danny...

eric torgerson

Feb 21, 1994, 11:36:23 PM2/21/94
Take a look at the video's of STP. Weiland cops damn near every one
of Eddie's facial expressions.

Andrew Lecren

Feb 22, 1994, 11:22:27 AM2/22/94
eric torgerson (etor...@ub.d.umn.edu) wrote:
: Take a look at the video's of STP. Weiland cops damn near every one

: of Eddie's facial expressions.

Actually, and please you fans that are more into Pearl Jam than I correct
me if I am wrong, but isn't true that Eddie Vedder taught Weiland how to
sing or is that all just a big farce that I fell for hook, line, and sinker?

*senses this is a newbie post....looks....is correct!*

STARFOX
email: ale...@umr.edu
Major: English Minor: Computer Science
"The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet are of imagination all compact."
-- Midsummer Night's Dream. Act V Scene I

Paul Schnake

Feb 22, 1994, 3:04:00 PM2/22/94
>Actually, and please you fans that are more into Pearl Jam than I correct
>me if I am wrong, but isn't true that Eddie Vedder taught Weiland how to
>sing or is that all just a big farce that I fell for hook, line, and sinker?

Nah, somebody got ya. Vedder even said in the recent Rolling Stone
interview that he doesn't even know who Weiland is (even though they
both came from the San Diego scene.)

- Paul

Klecker

Feb 22, 1994, 7:40:14 PM2/22/94

Can anyone tell me what this has to do with the subject of this post?
Besides Speed metal is metal that, naturally, goes fast. Megadeth to me
is not speed metal. They are just heavy. Almost as heavy as metallica.
Speed metal to me is like, Van Halen, Joe Satirati, people like that.

ps STP IS speed metal. (To me that is)

*
* Darkness, imprisoning me! All that I see! Heather Locklear!
* ???!?!???!?!!!!????!?!
-Kluck

Daniel V Zurawski

Feb 22, 1994, 8:33:37 PM2/22/94
In article <2kc247$9...@ub.d.umn.edu> etor...@ub.d.umn.edu (eric torgerson) writes:
>Take a look at the video's of STP. Weiland cops damn near every one
>of Eddie's facial expressions.

You are full of shit.
Nuff said.
Lets talk about PJ
I'm Bitter

Z.

anderson mark david

Feb 23, 1994, 1:23:43 PM2/23/94
etor...@ub.d.umn.edu (eric torgerson) writes:

>Take a look at the video's of STP. Weiland cops damn near every one
>of Eddie's facial expressions

But who cares? He doesn't look like he means it, like Eddie does... :)

Mark
.

Mark B Kruzynski

Feb 23, 1994, 3:07:25 PM2/23/94
>etor...@ub.d.umn.edu (eric torgerson) writes:
>
>>Take a look at the video's of STP. Weiland cops damn near every one
>>of Eddie's facial expressions

Yeah, I just saw the Beavis and Butthead episode where they say that, too...:)

Mark

Charles Morton

Feb 24, 1994, 3:29:53 PM2/24/94
Whoops Klecker...STP are from San Diego, California...same
place where Eddie was a gas station dude before Pearl Jam,
STP are not from Seattle, newflash...ho-hum...

mike.r....@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2018, 3:32:59 PM3/15/18
Metallica is actually trash metal, just so you know...

scotty...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2019, 7:11:11 AM6/2/19
Well you ask this question years after the release of Plush. When it first hit people loved pear jam so it was a common mistake, but if you weren’t going to buy the album (this was before YouTube so...) you would be left thinking they were rip offs jumping on the mouth full of marbles train. Yeah but as everyone already mentioned they are way different. I personally think that STP aged way better than Pearl Jam, but I also can’t stand most of Pearl Jam. They just remind me of that hippie revival of the nineties that just never should’ve been. If your going to write a song make a solid hook and an easy to listen to story you freaks! Anyway the entire STP catalogue is great, check out still remains on the purple album.