Paul on SNL

Bean11774

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
About a week ago I saw an old Saturday Night Live with Paul and a fake Art on
it... the premise was that they sold themselves to the devil so they would be
able to write great songs and be popular. Then it cuts to Paul being old and
decreped and the Devil brings him into an elevator which is playing a muzac
version of Fifty ways... then it plays the muzac version of another song (I
forget, maybe Bridge) and the Devil says "this is your hell"... very funny.
Paul: "Nooooo.....!"

Leigh Dahl

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98

Is this the same episode where Paul and John Lovitz are shackled in a jail
cell, and they try to convince the guard to let them out for good behavior by
smiling "real big"? I was crying I laughed so hard!

-Leigh

MHohulin

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
>Then it cuts to Paul being old and
>decreped and the Devil brings him into an elevator which is playing a muzac
>version of Fifty ways... then it plays the muzac version of another song (I
>forget, maybe Bridge) and the Devil says "this is your hell"... very funny.
>Paul: "Nooooo.....!"

The elevator in this skit is supposed to be in the Brill Building which makes
it even funnier.
alt.newsgroupspaul-simon

SafariBoy1

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
>Then it cuts to Paul being old and
>decreped and the Devil brings him into an elevator which is playing a muzac
>version of Fifty ways... then it plays the muzac version of another song (I
>forget, maybe Bridge) and the Devil says "this is your hell"... very funny.
>Paul: "Nooooo.....!"

I think the songs played on the muzac were, Mrs. Robinson, Feeling Groovy and
50 Ways. The skit with Paul and Jon Lovitz shackled was hilarious, too. I
loved it when Paul tried to grab the cop that came in......that was funny,
because he looked so tiny.

Grvrmonstr

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
>I think the songs played on the muzac were, Mrs. Robinson, Feeling Groovy and
>50 Ways. The skit with Paul and Jon Lovitz shackled was hilarious, too. I
>loved it when Paul tried to grab the cop that came in......that was funny,
>because he looked so tiny.

Has anyone else seen the episode in which he guest starred and Robin Williams
was the host? There was one sketch where he remembered everyone. For
instance, this woman comes up to him and says "Remember me? I saw your concert
in central park." Paul says, "Oh yes, you were sitting under the elm tree. I
see you've changed your hair. It looks wonderful." (or something to that
effect). There a bunch more; a sessionman, a person who had a scratch on his
record, and them Art Garfunkel goes up to him and Paul is completely blank and
can't remember who he is. "Garfunkel?" Art- "Remember Paul? We were duo for a
long time, Simon and Garfunkel?" Paul- "A duo?" "Simon and Garfunkel?"

Keren
"We close our eyes and dream,
And the world has turned around again."
Danny Elfman

mmes...@mindspring.com

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98

"We were partners for eleven years, Paul, eleven years!"

That's the only SNL I've seen him on- I taped it. He gives an absolutely
haunting performance of Late Great Johnny Ace, a voice and a guitar and
a spot light on a dark stage. Ladysmith appears as well, and Simon gets
a part in nearly every sketch (/me giggles at the memory of Robin
Williams improvising Hamlet, Paul as a theater critic, grinning).
Brilliant stuff...

-Mary

Michael Tabor

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
It sounds like these were really good. How many SNLs was Paul on? I haven't
seen ANY, but would like to. Anybody know how I could see them?

SafariBoy1

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Paul Simon was in atleast FIVE SNLs......I know because I remember Tom Hanks's
5th Appearance on SNL and they did a skit where Tom was sort of inducted into
the "FIVE TIMERS" club, including Steve Martin, Paul Simon and some others.
Also,Jon Lovitz was in the sketch as a servant of the Five Timers......I think
this was after Lovitz had left the show, which is why it was so funny.
I always wondered why Paul starred in almost all of the sketches whenever he
was on SNL......because most musicians that come on SNL just perform, or play
themselves in one sketch or two, but that's it. Maybe it's because Paul and
SNL producer Lorne Michaels are such good friends.....

J...@suffolk.lib

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98

I believe that he was on three SNLs with the original cast alone. He
hosted the first one, sang "Still Crazy" in a chicken suit on another,
and briefly reunited with Art on still another.

Jon

p.s. As I recall, the "fake Art" was Charles Grodin.

Kapeman

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
There is a pretty good book out about SNL with details of the first 20 years.
it lists the hosts by date, so all interested can have it documented. I'm too
lazy to find my copy right now. as i recall the bookalso had some nice photos.
worth having for us Paul fans. The best SNL skit i remember is Paul playing
basketball (wearing number .02) one on one against Connie Hawkins, if memory
serves correctly. He came up to the guys waist. It was hysterical. At one
point he goes under the legs of the basketball star to score. Great stuff.

Josie Marie

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98

Kapeman wrote

>The best SNL skit i remember is Paul playing
>basketball (wearing number .02) one on one against Connie Hawkins, if
memory
>serves correctly. He came up to the guys waist. It was hysterical. At
one
>point he goes under the legs of the basketball star to score. Great stuff.

Yes, that was hilarious. It was to the tune of Me & Julio. Paul ended up
outscoring the basketball player.

I also remember one (may have been the same show) where they did a take off
of Billy Jack with Paul as Billy Paul.

I don't have the book, but I remember the one where he reunited with Artie,
the one (or ones) we mention above, the chicken suit one singing Still Crazy
(may have been one of these?), one much later with Ladysmith BM singing
Diamonds...etc. , and the one with his excellent memory when he couldn't
remember Artie. I don't think I saw the elevator one. Wasn't he also on the
25th Anniversary special?

Josie

Josie Marie

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
I also remember one when Paul Simon is introduced, and both our Paul and the
Senator appear on stage. That was probably in 1992 when the Sen. was running
for President. Our Paul gently explained to the Sen. that it was him, not
the Sen., who was supposed to host the show.

Josie

MHohulin

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
>I also remember one when Paul Simon is introduced, and both our Paul and the
>Senator appear on stage.

The first PS concert I went to was the Homecoming for Southern Illinois
University at Carbondale (anyone remember the year of his first solo tour?) I
remember him making a joke about his being invited to play there but the
invitation got sent to the wrong Paul Simon. Ticket prices were like, $2.50 &
$5.00!
alt.newsgroupspaul-simon

MHohulin

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
>I always wondered why Paul starred in almost all of the sketches whenever he
>was on SNL......because most musicians that come on SNL just perform, or play
>themselves in one sketch or two, but that's it. Maybe it's because Paul and
>SNL producer Lorne Michaels are such good friends.....

I think it depends on if they host or not. He's in more sketches when he hosts
as well as performs. It WAS a turkey costume, not a chicken. There are an
number of commercially available "Best of SNL" that have some of Paul's
sketches.
If you watch the Thanksgiving show closely you can see Paul's brother, Eddie in
the front row cracking up. In a couple of the shows Art was actually in the
audience as well.
alt.newsgroupspaul-simon

Carol Alaniz

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
I read in an issue of TV Guide a few years back that Paul holds the record on
SNL for the most appearances as a host...51. I thought that was a high number.
Don't know if he still holds that record, or if it was an accurate number. Can
anyone confirm?
Too bad we can't get videos of just the shows with Paul in them. I looked in my
Movies Unlimited Catalog under TV shows, and there are SNL videos available, but
no mention of Paul's appearances--listings mention Steve Martin and Robin
Williams.

SuzyKru

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Carol wrote:

>I read in an issue of TV Guide a few years back that Paul holds the record
on
>SNL for the most appearances as a host...51. I thought that was a high
number.
>Don't know if he still holds that record, or if it was an accurate number.
Can
>anyone confirm?

51 does sound high for number of times he hosted. Is there any chance that
that's the number of sketches he's been in?

Suzy

Carol Alaniz

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Yeah, maybe 51 sketches is more like it....or maybe I just read the article too
quickly. Maybe it was 15 shows Paul hosted, not 51.

Josie Marie

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98

Carol Alaniz wrote

>Yeah, maybe 51 sketches is more like it....or maybe I just read the article
too
>quickly. Maybe it was 15 shows Paul hosted, not 51.

I think it is probably he APPEARED in 15 shows, certainly not 51. After
reading these posts, I did a bit of hunting, and found a site
http://www.4w.com/pages/covault/SNLGUIDE.HTM that lists hosts and musical
guests only since episode one (but not individual sketches). Just quickly
looking through this list, I see Paul has hosted just 5 times: 10/18/75,
10/20/76, 3/15/90, 4/19/86 and 12/19/87. He is listed on an additional 4
shows as musical guest. That makes 9 total. Maybe the others (if 15 is the
right number!) include those where he made an uncredited appearance. I
understand he played with the band at least once when Edie Brickell was the
musical guest. So 15 appearances would be about right.

I also found a site where you can buy videos with some, but not all, of
Paul's appearances: http://www.snlvideo.com. Just search for Paul Simon, and
it will tell you which videos have sketches or bits in which he appears. It
includes the infamous Turkey sketch and the one where he can't remember Art.
Also, I had forgotten about the one where he and Robin Williams sing "Alone
Again, Naturally" as two old Jewish men. LOL!

Josie

Carol Alaniz

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Josie, Thanks for the SNL sites. I stand corrected re Paul's appearances. :)

jenca...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2014, 1:49:09 AM11/23/14
On Thursday, July 30, 1998 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Bean11774 wrote:
> About a week ago I saw an old Saturday Night Live with Paul and a fake Art on
> it... the premise was that they sold themselves to the devil so they would be
> able to write great songs and be popular. Then it cuts to Paul being old and
> decreped and the Devil brings him into an elevator which is playing a muzac
> version of Fifty ways... then it plays the muzac version of another song (I
> forget, maybe Bridge) and the Devil says "this is your hell"... very funny.
> Paul: "Nooooo.....!"

Can you tell me WHERE I can find this skit online? Been looking for it for YEARS!

Sjonnieboy

Nov 23, 2014, 11:35:51 AM11/23/14
Hi Jencat004p,

Since the whole group moved this facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/101784416540855/
I think it's better to post your question there.