Why did Paul Simon & Carrie Fisher split?

Laura A. Graham

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Actually, the subject line says it all--why did they break up so soon?

Laura Dever

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Laura A. Graham wrote:

> Actually, the subject line says it all--why did they break up so soon?

I don't really know the answer to that one. I do know they had a very
volatile relationship for a long time before they were married. They
were always breaking up and getting back together. Maybe it wasn't meant
to be; Paul found happiness afterwards with Edie, but poor Carrie wasn't
so lucky.

Hearts & Bones,
Laura

Melora Foy

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Laura Dever (lde...@flash.net) wrote:

I remember thinking when they got married, "Is this a good idea?" because
they had already boken up several times. Most people assume that "Hearts
and Bones" is about the breakup of their marriage, but it is about an
earlier breakup. It was written before they were married. The wedding
it refers to must be one they attended together, perhaps Lorne Michael's.

Melora

David Clancy

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

In article <5d55qu$1...@newsgate.duke.edu>, "Laura A. Graham"
<gra...@mail.duke.edu> writes

>Actually, the subject line says it all--why did they break up so soon?

She said in an interview it was because they were in fact quite
different personalities.
She was younger and wanted to have a lot of fun..parties, Disneyworld
and so on. Paul preferred museums and art galleries.
Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?
--
David Clancy

SOlsen876

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

>Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?
>--
>David Clancy

To date, he is still married to Edie Brickell,.unless someone knows
something the tabloids don't. I'm sure it would have been widely reported
if they had split up.

Melora Foy

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

David Clancy (tb...@tbags.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?
: --
: David Clancy

If it is, this is the first time I've heard of it.

Melora

Mitch Goldstein

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Edie and Paul are very much still together, with new little ones.
They are very happy together, and this should be the lasting
relationship Paul has been seeking

Anouk Arnal

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Melora Foy wrote:

> David Clancy (tb...@tbags.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?
>
> If it is, this is the first time I've heard of it.
>
> Melora

Does anyone know if he had his younger child with Carrie or with Edie ?

And who is Edie Brickell (an artist or nothing of that sort ?)
Is there a photo of her somewhere on the web ?
Just carryin'on gossips...

Thanks
Anouk A

PREEMIE

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Paul's first child was a son named Harper by his first wife Peggy. He is
about 21 or so now, I think. He and Carrie had no children together,
though I've heard rumor of a miscarriage for them. He had a son with Edie
in Jan of '90 I think, and then a daughter named LuLu, who I think is
going on 2 yrs. soon.
Edie Brickell is a singer, from Texas. She is about 25 years younger than
he is! She has had a couple of CDs out . The first one had that single
on it "What I am", ('88 or '89), and that may be the cd name, too, I'm not
sure of that. PS actually produced her last one, "Picture Perfect
Morning", out in '95, I think. He joined her on her SNL appearance
promoting that CD.

Chrissie

PREEMIE

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Sorry about this extra post, but remembered the name of her first album,
"Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars". There was also an album in between
the two I mentioned, so three in all.
The name of her band was "Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians". I really
don't know if the band is still together but I haven't heard anything
since that last cd was released.

Chrissie

Henri Kurunmäki

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97
> Anouk AIts easy to find pics of edie...just do a netsearch <edie brickell> and
there are a few sites about her...one guy has lots of pics of her...its
really easy to find stuff on her, just look

Johan Groenewald

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Anouk Arnal <pays...@avignon.pacwan.net> wrote:

>Melora Foy wrote:
>>
>> David Clancy (tb...@tbags.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>> : Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?
>>
>> If it is, this is the first time I've heard of it.
>>
>> Melora
>
>Does anyone know if he had his younger child with Carrie or with Edie ?
>
>And who is Edie Brickell (an artist or nothing of that sort ?)
>Is there a photo of her somewhere on the web ?
>Just carryin'on gossips...
>
>Thanks
>Anouk A

Hi

Check:
http://www.crl.com/~phantom/edie/edie.html
http://www.teleport.com/~griffing/ediesong.shtml
http://maddie.atlantic.com/hillwac/toolbrick/edie.htm

G Griffin

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

> : Is it true he's now split from Edie Brickell?

>And who is Edie Brickell (an artist or nothing of that sort ?)

Just thought I'd pipe up and offer my two bits.....

First off, i'm not a regular subscriber to this list (not that I don't like Paul Simon
-- in fact I love his work)...... I just ran across this thread while searching in Deja
News for Edie Brickell posts.....

Secondly I'm the author of the "ediesong.shtml" page listed above.......

And finally, here's what I know about the status of Edie and Paul.....

1) There's been no word of a split from Edie's personal friends that are members of the
Edie Brickell Internet Mailing List

2) I saw Edie perform in Seattle (with her new band THE SLIP) back in July of 96......
Audience members asked her about Paul and she got all mushy -- SHE DID NOT GET UPSET AND
SHE DIDN'T AVOID TALKING ABOUT HIM....

These two facts would lead me to think that they are still together.....

But I have heard rumors...... But rumors are bad, bad, bad things......

Later.....

Greg

P.S. I find it amusing (being a fan of both Edie Brickell and Paul Simon) that many
Paul Simon fans view his relationship with Edie with doubt or bad feelings.... where as
back when I first heard that they had gotten married I was thrilled -- two of the best
song-writers around.... just imagine if those kids grow up and follow in their parents
footsteps......

Roger

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

In article <330AA7...@teleport.com>, G Griffin <grif...@teleport.com>
wrote:

>P.S. I find it amusing (being a fan of both Edie Brickell and Paul Simon)
that many
>Paul Simon fans view his relationship with Edie with doubt or bad
feelings.... where as
>back when I first heard that they had gotten married I was thrilled -- two
of the best
>song-writers around.... just imagine if those kids grow up and follow in
their parents
>footsteps......

I had exactly the same reaction. I can't imagine a better couple than Paul
& Edie (Except maybe ME & Edie! ;-). I find that at least as far as their
music is concerned, they are very similar, and I love them both very much
as performers and song writers. If anyone has access to a library, I
believe there was an article in the New York Times near the time of their
marriage that analyzed their lyrics as a couple. I've never had a chance
to read it, though I'd sure be interested in what the writer had to say!

Roger

--
Check out my Unofficial Paul Simon Web Site:
http://www.best.com/~rlai/Paul-Simon.html

Laurie Campbell

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to G Griffin

G Griffin wrote:

> And finally, here's what I know about the status of Edie and Paul.....
>
> 1) There's been no word of a split from Edie's personal friends that are members of the
> Edie Brickell Internet Mailing List
>
> 2) I saw Edie perform in Seattle (with her new band THE SLIP) back in July of 96......
> Audience members asked her about Paul and she got all mushy -- SHE DID NOT GET UPSET AND
> SHE DIDN'T AVOID TALKING ABOUT HIM....
>
> These two facts would lead me to think that they are still together.....

Thank you for clearing that up. Yours has definitely been the most
informed voice on this subject. I certainly hope that your sources and
your instincts are right on this one.

> P.S. I find it amusing (being a fan of both Edie Brickell and Paul Simon) that many
> Paul Simon fans view his relationship with Edie with doubt or bad feelings.... where as
> back when I first heard that they had gotten married I was thrilled -- two of the best
> song-writers around.... just imagine if those kids grow up and follow in their parents
> footsteps......

I think it was probably the age difference that caused people to be wary
of the relationship. Both being great song writers doesn't necessarily
mean they are compatible in other areas.

All that aside, I must say that the first time I heard "Edie Brickell
and the New Bohemians", I thought they reminded me of Simon and
Garfunkel. I thought they probably were S & G fans. So when I heard
that Edie and Paul were getting married, it really didn't surprise me
that they might be attracted to each other and fall in love. Although I
*did* believe, on the strength of a picture of the two of them in
"Rolling Stone" magazine, that Edie was involved with *Harper* Simon! I
do believe they are closer in age than Edie and Paul.

This is definitely the largest age-difference in any of Paul's
marriages. Still it might be a good thing. Paul has so many
insecurities that he probably needs a young wife who looks up to him and
just thinks he's everything. Maybe he and Carrie Fisher were too much
alike. They locked horns in battle all the time. Maybe Edie is too
much in awe of him in some ways to lock horns with him. And that might
be a good thing.

I've always found it interesting that right before his solo concert in
Central Park Paul invited Art and Kim Garfunkel and their baby boy (I
think his name is James) to his house in Montauk (sp?). He spent a lot
of time chopping up vegetables for Kim, who was a vegetarian, and then
he and Art spent a lot of time playing with James. I remember an
interview with Clarence Clemons in which he said he wasn't surprised
when Bruce Springsteen married (Juliana Phillips) because not long
before he had been playing with and admiring Clemons' new baby. Clemons
knew he had caught "the bug".

So when I heard that Paul had married Edie (by the way, Garfunkel's wife
Kim was also a singer with a band, and is also several decades younger
than he is), I thought there will no doubt be kids on the way soon.
Sure enough, they had a baby within a year. You think Paul "caught the
bug" after playing with James? It's a distinct possibility.

Thanks again for your imput.

Laurie

Michel Couzijn

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Laurie Campbell <robs...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>When I heard that Edie and Paul were getting married, it really didn't surprise

>me that they might be attracted to each other and fall in love. Although I
>*did* believe, on the strength of a picture of the two of them in
>"Rolling Stone" magazine, that Edie was involved with *Harper* Simon!

(...)

>This is definitely the largest age-difference in any of Paul's
>marriages. Still it might be a good thing. Paul has so many
>insecurities that he probably needs a young wife who looks up to him and
>just thinks he's everything. Maybe he and Carrie Fisher were too much
>alike. They locked horns in battle all the time. Maybe Edie is too
>much in awe of him in some ways to lock horns with him. And that might
>be a good thing.

UPDATED LYRICS:

The smartest people in the world
had gathered on the Internet
to analyze our love affair
and finally unscramble it.

They looked upon our photographs
examined every one.
And in the end they compromised:
they thought I was my son.

And I thought: 'Hey,
Maybe they think too much.
(etc.)

Michel Couzijn
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Roger

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

Thanks for all that great insight, Laurie! I think you're right about the
age difference being a big factor. She's only a couple of years older than
Harper, I believe. Paul even writes about it in "Thelma" --

"Now, the first time that I saw you I thought
She's beautiful, but she's too young to be caught
People aware of my history
Trying to steer you away from me
I left a message at your hotel
Don't let management poison the well"

I guess it didn't even occur to me... I mean I knew she was much younger,
but it just wasn't that much of a scandal to me. I'm kind of clueless
about these things a lot of the time (wait, you mean I'm NOT supposed to
pick my nose in public?). I guess we can't know for sure what their lives
are like. I'm glad that they're getting along so well, though I'm sure
it's slowed his songwriting. :-(

Roger

PREEMIE

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

Michel Couzijn Wrote:

UPDATED LYRICS:

The smartest people in the world
had gathered on the Internet
to analyze our love affair
and finally unscramble it.

They looked upon our photographs
examined every one.
And in the end they compromised:
they thought I was my son.

And I thought: 'Hey,
Maybe they think too much.
(etc.)
<<<<<<<<

Hey, Michel - I know I certainly "think too much", as Paul says, and I
love his song(s) about that. I really got a kick out of your updated
lyrics in response to the Paul & Edie 'controversy'!! Pretty clever -
thanks for sharing!

Chrissie

ela...@elkhart.lib.in.us

Oct 17, 2016, 10:53:26 AM10/17/16
On Monday, February 3, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Laura A. Graham wrote:
> Actually, the subject line says it all--why did they break up so soon?
I don't know if it was too soon but Carrie has maintained from interviews in 1990 onwards that there there were personality conflicts (both strong 'yangs' when Paul was looking for a more passive, submissive type, two flowers wilting in the sun etc). She has said more recently it was a combination of many things, including stuff she is now embarrassed by, presumably her own well known crazy behavior, which makes it remarkable that they were together so long. Probably still friends, but who knows ? No doubt the story will come out eventually.