Amsterdam Arena concert

15 views
Skip to first unread message

theonlylivingboy

unread,
Jul 21, 2004, 6:05:03 PM7/21/04
to
Just got back from that sentimental journey in the Amsterdam Arena and off
course loved every minute although it was the worst sounding concert I have
ever been to.

Unfortunately we sat in the second ring (could not get any better), but I
never expected it to sound so terrible. I am telling you this because I
really want to know from who ever had a better seat if it was the entire
venue or only higher up.

Jan-Willem


Richard Bos

unread,
Jul 21, 2004, 7:35:17 PM7/21/04
to
"theonlylivingboy" <theonlylivin...@wanadoo.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately we sat in the second ring (could not get any better), but I
> never expected it to sound so terrible. I am telling you this because I
> really want to know from who ever had a better seat if it was the entire
> venue or only higher up.

Nope. First ring, here, and yes, the sound tech was dreadful. Not Paul
and Artie, though - their singing was good - but the techs allowed them
to get the better of the amps several times. Disgraceful, IYAM;
something like that should not happen to a professional sound tech.

Richard

Hannes

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 4:29:00 AM7/22/04
to
Well I guess we have one more unemployed sound technician after yesterday.
But as we know the sound in the A-Arena will never be good. Perhabs its a
bit better with the roof open but even than it will be far from "Vredenburg"
quality. The show was great though I'm glad I was there.

Hannes ( still impressed)

Han Roffelsen

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 7:05:18 AM7/22/04
to

"Richard Bos" <r...@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> schreef in bericht
news:40fef9e0...@news.individual.net...
> "theonlylivingboy" <theonlylivin...@wanadoo.com> wrote:
>

> Nope. First ring, here, and yes, the sound tech was dreadful. Not Paul
> and Artie, though - their singing was good - but the techs allowed them
> to get the better of the amps several times. Disgraceful, IYAM;
> something like that should not happen to a professional sound tech.
>

I also sat first ring. Great concert, but indeed: the sound was the worst
I've even heard at a concert.
And -to be honest- I was a bit disappointed by the Everlys. They're legends
of course, but there performance was not good enough for such a (large
scale) concert (they're getting old).

Han Roffelsen
The Netherlands


Joyce

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 7:25:26 AM7/22/04
to
In article <40ff9f56$0$62364$5fc...@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>,
han.ro...@tiscali.nl says...

> I also sat first ring. Great concert, but indeed: the sound was the worst
> I've even heard at a concert.
> And -to be honest- I was a bit disappointed by the Everlys. They're legends
> of course, but there performance was not good enough for such a (large
> scale) concert (they're getting old).

Weird. Me and my friend, on the second ring, thought the Everlys were
excellent, and at that time of the evening even better than Simon and
Garfunkel who hadn´t yet "warmed up" then. They really sounded
convincing to me. Too bad they did not come back for a concert finale
(they were there anyway ;-)).
Being an avid concert goer, I had nevertheless never been to Amsterdam
ArenA before, but had been warned for the awful sound. I actually
thought it wasn´t THAT bad. The Ahoy in Rotterdam is much worse, for
example. And yes, Vredenburg in Utrecht is better, but hey, that´s a
professional music hall. You cannot expect a soccer stadium to sound
like a professional muisc hall.
Speaking for myself, I felt an intense happiness when listening to all
those beautiful songs, and having visited probably hundreds of concerts
before, I can honestly say this was one of the best musical experiences
of my life. Okay, the tickets were awfully expensive, but "geluk is
onbetaalbaar" :-)

Joyce

Gerard Eastwood

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 8:52:26 AM7/22/04
to
"Hannes" <in...@lasersystems.nlNOSPAM> wrote in message
news:2m9cuqF...@uni-berlin.de...

Hannes, greetings from NZ. I know it is an unfair question, but since you
and I were there the same nights I will ask - How do you rate or compare
the S & G show you have just experienced with the Paul Simon shows we both
attended in Brussels (July 2002) or Paris (October 2000)?

I am interested in your thoughts in comparision to my own recent S & G
concerts in NYC last December. Personally, I enjoyed the shows I saw and
don't regret going, but it did leave me feelings the shows were a notch
lower in quality from those solo concerts from 2000 and 2002. I am sensing
that maybe you people in Europe this time are getting better performances
from Paul & Artie than was the case late last year.

Gerard (Still Impressed, After All These Years)


Hannes

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 10:29:24 AM7/22/04
to
Hi Gerard,

I agree that it's an unfair question. I'm a PS fan and that's why I like the
S&G music. The quality was lower (IMHO) but for sure it had also to do with
the location they where playing. I think it's very hard to reach the same
quality as Paris 2000, for me the best concert I ever attended.

But then again the emotional value of the S&G concert is bigger for me.
After the show I was a little depressed because of the strong feeling I had
that this was some sort of goodbye concert. I'm quite convinced that I will
never see a S&G concert again.

Perhaps the performance was better than last year but the sound quality of
last night was so bad that I really can't tell. Like you I don't regret
anything it was worth the money at least for me.

BTW can anyone tell me what kind of instrument dave stewart used in the 59th
street bridge song?

Hannes (still wondering how Nicolas always manages to get decent tickets)
(mine where not bad but no first row)


Julie

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 11:48:36 AM7/22/04
to

"Gerard Eastwood" <eastwood...@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:fMOLc.3532$N77.2...@news.xtra.co.nz...

I am sensing
> that maybe you people in Europe this time are getting better performances
> from Paul & Artie than was the case late last year.


That's definately the case regarding the 2 UK concerts....the Hyde Park
concert being slightly better than the Manchester one.

Julie


Richard Bos

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 12:49:27 PM7/22/04
to
Joyce <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> In article <40ff9f56$0$62364$5fc...@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>,
> han.ro...@tiscali.nl says...
>
> > I also sat first ring. Great concert, but indeed: the sound was the worst
> > I've even heard at a concert.
> > And -to be honest- I was a bit disappointed by the Everlys. They're legends
> > of course, but there performance was not good enough for such a (large
> > scale) concert (they're getting old).
>
> Weird. Me and my friend, on the second ring, thought the Everlys were
> excellent, and at that time of the evening even better than Simon and
> Garfunkel who hadn´t yet "warmed up" then. They really sounded
> convincing to me. Too bad they did not come back for a concert finale
> (they were there anyway ;-)).

Hmmm... I thought they were pretty good in their two fast songs (Wake Up
and By Bye Love), and not nearly as convincing in the slow ones. Of
course, this just _may_ have something to do with my opinion that songs
like "Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam" are the kittens-on-black-velvet of the rock
world :-/

> Being an avid concert goer, I had nevertheless never been to Amsterdam
> ArenA before, but had been warned for the awful sound. I actually
> thought it wasn´t THAT bad. The Ahoy in Rotterdam is much worse, for
> example. And yes, Vredenburg in Utrecht is better, but hey, that´s a
> professional music hall. You cannot expect a soccer stadium to sound
> like a professional muisc hall.

Nope, but you _can_ expect the techs to use amps that can fill the
stadium without blowing a tube or two. I suspect that's done better in
Vredenburg, too, though on the one occasion I was there it wouldn't have
been a problem, anyway - one doesn't expect speaker-killing sound
volumes at the Festival Oude Muziek :-)

Richard

Joyce

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 2:33:16 PM7/22/04
to
In article <40ffcfc0...@news.individual.net>, rlb@hoekstra-
uitgeverij.nl says...

> Hmmm... I thought they were pretty good in their two fast songs (Wake Up
> and By Bye Love), and not nearly as convincing in the slow ones. Of
> course, this just _may_ have something to do with my opinion that songs
> like "Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam" are the kittens-on-black-velvet of the rock
> world :-/

It is a bit corny, isn愒 it? But in last night愀 atmosphere it worked
pretty well, I think :-)

> Nope, but you _can_ expect the techs to use amps that can fill the
> stadium without blowing a tube or two. I suspect that's done better in
> Vredenburg, too, though on the one occasion I was there it wouldn't have
> been a problem, anyway - one doesn't expect speaker-killing sound
> volumes at the Festival Oude Muziek :-)

I am not a big audiophile myself, so even though I did hear what you
mean, it didn愒 really bother me. I was more surprised to hear
Garfunkel but especially Simon sing so well as they did, in spite of
all the technical "problems".

By the way, on the other side from where I was sitting, someone
actually got sick a few minutes before the Everlys came on stage, and
three whole rows of people were sent away to make sure the medical
people could reach this person. Eventually, the man or woman was taken
away for medical assistance. I don愒 know what was going on, but sure
hope everything was fine...

Joyce

Richard Bos

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 2:46:41 PM7/22/04
to
"Hannes" <in...@lasersystems.nlNOSPAM> wrote:

> BTW can anyone tell me what kind of instrument dave stewart used in the 59th
> street bridge song?

Do you mean the one which looked like it consist of nothing but a metal
antenna at which he waved his hands? That's a theremin, and I was happy
he used it, since it was the first time I saw one used in real life. If
you're reasonably handy with the electronics, you should be able to make
one yourself.

Richard

Richard Bos

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 3:28:17 PM7/22/04
to
Joyce <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> In article <40ffcfc0...@news.individual.net>, rlb@hoekstra-
> uitgeverij.nl says...
>

> > Nope, but you _can_ expect the techs to use amps that can fill the
> > stadium without blowing a tube or two. I suspect that's done better in
> > Vredenburg, too, though on the one occasion I was there it wouldn't have
> > been a problem, anyway - one doesn't expect speaker-killing sound
> > volumes at the Festival Oude Muziek :-)
>
> I am not a big audiophile myself, so even though I did hear what you

> mean, it didn´t really bother me. I was more surprised to hear

> Garfunkel but especially Simon sing so well as they did, in spite of
> all the technical "problems".

Oh, certainly. I noticed it, and did think that it was rather
amateurish, but in no way did it detract from my enjoyment of the
performance.

Joey Berger Google Account

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 5:29:39 PM7/22/04
to
r...@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote in message news:<40fff709...@news.individual.net>...

That would be Rob Schwimmer playing the theremin on The Boxer. Mark
(not Dave) Stewart plays the Tromba Doo on Feelin' Groovy, which is an
instrument he created. You can see it in action at
www.polygraphlounge.com.

Sammy

unread,
Jul 22, 2004, 7:09:51 PM7/22/04
to

"Hannes" <in...@lasersystems.nlNOSPAM> schreef in bericht
news:2ma22iF...@uni-berlin.de...
...
...

> BTW can anyone tell me what kind of instrument dave stewart used in the
59th
> street bridge song?
...
...
That would be the Theremin.
"In 1918, a Soviet scientist named Leon Theremin invented the world's first
electronic musical instrument. It was an instrument so different to those
that had gone before that it had no strings, pipes, or keys. in fact, the
player didn't even have to touch the instrument to play it."
http://theremin.info/
...
...

Hannes

unread,
Jul 23, 2004, 7:53:23 AM7/23/04
to
> That would be Rob Schwimmer playing the theremin on The Boxer. Mark
> (not Dave) Stewart plays the Tromba Doo on Feelin' Groovy, which is an
> instrument he created. You can see it in action at


That's the one! Did I realy write dave???? I'm getting old

Hannes


BLACKMANNY1

unread,
Jul 23, 2004, 10:45:45 PM7/23/04
to
>"geluk is
>onbetaalbaar"

That's easy for *YOU* to say....

Joyce

unread,
Jul 24, 2004, 5:23:12 AM7/24/04
to
In article <20040723224545...@mb-m18.aol.com>, blackmanny1
@aol.com says...

> >"geluk is
> >onbetaalbaar"
>
> That's easy for *YOU* to say....

Haha, well, I didn´t know the English equivalent at that time (and I
still don´t, actually), but since we were talking about the Dutch
concert anyway... ;-)

Joyce

BLACKMANNY1

unread,
Jul 24, 2004, 11:33:19 AM7/24/04
to
>Haha, well, I didn´t know the English equivalent at that time (and I
>still don´t, actually), but since we were talking about the Dutch
>concert anyway... ;-)

It sounds like "happiness is . . ." something or other, no?

Joyce

unread,
Jul 24, 2004, 12:15:52 PM7/24/04
to
In article <20040724113319...@mb-m18.aol.com>, blackmanny1
@aol.com says...

Yes. I wrote about that the tickets were so expensive, and then wanted
to say that the concert gave me so much happiness, and happiness is
something "onbetaalbaar", which means something like "money cannot
buy".

Joyce

Richard Bos

unread,
Jul 24, 2004, 12:33:41 PM7/24/04
to
Joyce <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

"Happiness knows no price", or something similar.

Richard

Joyce

unread,
Jul 24, 2004, 12:55:03 PM7/24/04
to
In article <41027fc7...@news.individual.net>, rlb@hoekstra-
uitgeverij.nl says...

> "Happiness knows no price", or something similar.

I think the solution I found earlier today, sums it up pretty well:
"Happiness is something money cannot buy" :-)

Joyce

3-kus

unread,
Jul 25, 2004, 10:17:49 AM7/25/04
to

"Joyce" <m...@privacy.net> schreef in bericht
news:MPG.1b6a26d26...@News.Individual.NET...

> In article <40ffcfc0...@news.individual.net>, rlb@hoekstra-
> uitgeverij.nl says...
>
> By the way, on the other side from where I was sitting, someone
> actually got sick a few minutes before the Everlys came on stage, and
> three whole rows of people were sent away to make sure the medical
> people could reach this person. Eventually, the man or woman was taken
> away for medical assistance. I don´t know what was going on, but sure

> hope everything was fine...
>
> Joyce


Hi Joyce,

We were sitting close, some 55 year old man had a hard attack, he was taken
to the hospital and is recovering.
It was in a newspaper.

We also enjoyed the concert very much, although the sound quality was bad.
We are even thinking about taking a plane to Rome next week to visit the
last (free) concert!

Greetings,
3-kus


Joyce

unread,
Jul 25, 2004, 12:32:39 PM7/25/04
to
In article <4103c109$0$367$e4fe...@dreader4.news.xs4all.nl>, 3-
k...@chello.nl says...

> Hi Joyce,
>
> We were sitting close, some 55 year old man had a hard attack, he was taken
> to the hospital and is recovering.
> It was in a newspaper.

Ah, thanks. I have been looking for information about the man, but
couldn´t find any. Glad he was okay.


> We also enjoyed the concert very much, although the sound quality was bad.
> We are even thinking about taking a plane to Rome next week to visit the
> last (free) concert!

Half a million people are expected there... it would be a nice birthday
gift for me ;-)

Joyce

cou...@ilo.uva.nl

unread,
Jul 25, 2004, 1:58:15 PM7/25/04
to

Hi all,

My wife & I also visited the S&G-concert last Wednesday in Amsterdam.
And although we certainly enjoyed it, we also shared some noticeable
drawbacks.

While walking to the Arena, I noticed that the average age of
concert-goers had increased *a lot*, compared to the S&G-concert I
attended in Rotterdam, June 12th, 1982. It seemed as if exactly the
same audience had turned up, only now over 20 years older (including
myself). Hardly any younger S&G fans, such as in alt.music.paul-simon.
Ticket prices, of course, did nothing to attrack a younger audience
($90-95). In 1982, I was 18 years young, and went to see Simon &
Garfunkel with my first girlfriend... nothing beats that memory! Now I
have just turned forty, I have been married for fourteen years to the
best girl that ever happened to me, I've been sending her S&G tapes
while she lived in Poland while lived in Amsterdam; we have kids now
who put on S&G Cd's, I have learned to play S&G tunes on my guitar,
and the realisation that all that time has passed in between Then and
Now really added to that concert experience.

Then came The Concert. Very early on, a man close to us had a heart
attack. There was immediate medical assistance, but the heart massage
took so long, and the man responded so badly to it, that my wife (who
is a medical specialist) did not give a penny for his life. He was
(and we were) sitting high up in the Arena, 2nd ring just like
Jan-Willem and 3-kus), and the poor man had to be carried on a
brancard (in an at least 45 degrees position) outside and to the
hospital. We are happy to learn that the man actually did recover,
according to 3-kus.

During that same accident, we saw that on the floor of the hall, in
the back row, another person was receiving medical help. Also for
quite a long time. Well, ever since the Beatles, we have gotten
accustomed to young fans who faint during concerts of their idols, but
this experience seemed just the reverse: people at the other side of
their lifetime (autumn not spring) seemed unable to endure concert
stress. Or maybe it was just old age.

For a member of the audience, and speaking for myself, this was quite
distracting: on the one hand, we want to sympathize with the other
people in the audience, coming from more or less far away to enjoy or
even celebrate a personally important musical performance. On the
other hand, I was feeling awfully sorry for these poor fellow
concert-goers whose life was on the line. Those two feelings are,
well, highly incompatible. Enjoying Life To-The-Max or witnessing a
Life-In-Peril, during such triviality as a musical concert.

I did not object to the sound quality as much as other posters. It was
not good, it was not bad either. Having experienced Simon's concerts
in the Ahoy Hall in 1991 (1992) with and awful sound, and having been
to London's Apollo Hall (1991; EXCELLENT concert, worth the trip to
London), this was somewhere in between. Which is not bad for a soccer
stadium, as Joyce wrote.

One of the other drawbacks was that the concert held few musical
surprises. It was a 'Greatest Hits Performed Live' concert, including
few original arrangements and few unexpected songs (I liked 'At The
Zoo' for that reason!). No 'Citizen Of The Planet' for us Dutchies. No
'What a wonderful world' (that would have been nice). No *updated*
'Simple Desultory Philippic'. No 'Barbriallen. No 'Blues Run The
Game'. There could have been so much to surprise the audience with.
Even the Everly's took their twelve minutes of fame playing only the
most Famous And Everlasting Everly Hits (Let it be me - Wake up,
little Susie - Bye, bye, love - Drea-ea-ea-eam). They were committed,
but nothing more.


There was the technical amplification problem. There was Art stopping
halfway a verse, quite annoyed, because the speaker feedback was
simply too loud. There was this constant 'hum' during five or six
tracks. And yet our Famous Duo kept their good humour, trying to
communicate with the audience as much as they could. Simon commented
on the venue with diplomatic words such as 'what an unusual place for
a musical concert like this' - and he was right. They tried, time and
again, to 'get into the music'. I am not sure they succeeded that
night.

They audience succeeded in getting two encores. But while I thought
the third encore would be the best, the audience stopped clapping and
cheering and the lights went on. The evening was over before we knew
it. A highly predictable, yet worthy farewell concert of a duo that
had showed what place they deserved in pop history - nothing more,
nothing less.

To be honest, I am counting on Simon's European solo concert next year
(maybe 2006) when he promotes his next solo album. And I am very glad
to be able to say to my (grand)children that 'your mother and I have
attended S&G's reunion tour in 2004'. For a real fan, that experience
is priceless, regardless of ticket price or concert quality.

Michel Couzijn
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Rob Oudshoorn

unread,
Jul 25, 2004, 3:10:50 PM7/25/04
to
black...@aol.com (BLACKMANNY1) wrote in message news:<20040724113319...@mb-m18.aol.com>...

'you can't buy happiness'

Rob

BLACKMANNY1

unread,
Jul 25, 2004, 4:30:46 PM7/25/04
to
> people at the other side of
>their lifetime (autumn not spring) seemed unable to endure concert
>stress. Or maybe it was just old age.

Or maybe they met up at the arena with the person who bought them the ticket,
and learned for the first time how much it cost!

Micky19674300556

unread,
Jul 26, 2004, 10:21:54 AM7/26/04
to
Sounds like something you'd rub on a soar spot ;-) LOLOL

Hugs

Micky

BLACKMANNY1

unread,
Jul 26, 2004, 12:23:00 PM7/26/04
to
>Sounds like something you'd rub on a soar spot ;-)

Would that qualify as pre-flight preparation?

Micky19674300556

unread,
Jul 26, 2004, 1:29:09 PM7/26/04
to
Hehehehehe...Side splitting...Help!!!

Hugs

Micky

Andrey Fomenko

unread,
Jul 27, 2004, 7:42:01 PM7/27/04
to
Ура.

Sun Jul 25 2004 Rob Oudshoorn ==> black...@aol.com.

RO> 'you can't buy happiness'

Exactly! So those who sell for money sell misfortune; happiness is free. For
example, one CD contains $1 of plastic and $14 of misfortune, and the music and
the feeling of it cannot be measured with money.


Андрей

claudin...@gmail.com

unread,
Apr 15, 2014, 3:50:13 AM4/15/14
to
Pays Bas

Hallo heer mevrouw
Dit bericht is voor al degenen die behoefte hebben aan dringend en met name ernstige lening aanvraag lening.

U moet een lening te verstrekken, Let op de gebieden waarop ik u kan helpen:

* Financiering
* Onroerend goed-leningen
* Investeringskredieten
* Auto lening
* De schuldconsolidatie
* Lijn van het krediet
* Tweede hypotheek
* Redemption credit
* Persoonlijke leningen

Bepaalde Nederlandse, Franse, Canadese, Belgische, Portugese, Espagole, Italiaans, studie, Oostenrijkse, Luttonien en sommige of alle over de wereld die wij tot uw beschikking leningen tussen afzonderlijke van EURO 1000 tot en met 10. 000. euro 000 te voorwaarden heel eenvoudig we ook investeringen en leningen tussen afzonderlijke van alle soorten kredieten korte, middellange en lange termijn bieden.
We weten niet uw gebruikt en onze overdrachten worden geleverd door een Bank voor de veiligheid van de transactie voor iedereen kunnen betalen het terug met belang tegen het tarief van 3% voor iedereen die geïnteresseerd is schrijf me.
In feite, besloten heb ik om deze activiteit te doen zodat eenieder in nood te profiteren lening variërend van EURO 1000 tot en met 10. 000 EURO 000 onder een duur van 1 tot en met 40 jaar afhankelijk van het bedrag van de gevraagde met een aantal zeer interessante vaste jaarlijkse rente van 3% voor alle bedragen verzocht alle degenen die wensen om te gaan met de huidige financiële problemen, laat ik u hieronder de contacten om meer informatie verkrijgen over de voorwaarden voor verkrijgen van een lening.

E-mail: claudin...@yahoo.fr

Lees je te wachten
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages