Sound alike to anyone ??

SNUMBER6

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Although this is the PS newsgroup ... and in a couple of months I am sure it
will be bombarded with critiques of the long awaited new album ... I'd like to
get off topic just once again regarding Bob Dylan ...
Query : Listen to 2nd Time Around then listen to the Beatles Norwegian Wood ...
then tell me if there is not some unintentional plagarism in Norwegian Wood
both in melody and some phrasing ...

In the Village ....
I am not a number ... I am a free man !!!!

Loops

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
>Query : Listen to 2nd Time Around then listen to the Beatles Norwegian Wood

2nd time around? not familiar with that one...

and, are you saying the Beatles plagaized Dylan? or the other way around?

Who Me

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
That's 4th Time Around. I've heard this mentioned before. I really don't se it.
Doesn't jump out at me the way the similarity of My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine
does...

Bill

"Now, too much of nothing
Can make a man feel ill at ease.
One man's temper might rise
While another man's temper might freeze."

-- Bob Dylan

Loops

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
>and, are you saying the Beatles plagaized Dylan? or the other way around?

forgive my dodgy typing.

SNUMBER6

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
>From: kidl...@aol.combat.spam (Loops)

>2nd time around? not familiar with that one...

sorry 4th Time Around ... the brain gets dyslexic as one gets older ... :-)

>and, are you saying the Beatles plagaized Dylan? or the other way around?

It is hard to say since Blonde on Blonde (the album it is on) came out about
the same time as the Beatles tune ... sort of a simultaneous orchestration :-)
I just heard 4th Time Around again from a 1966 Austalian concert tape and then
heard Norwegian Wood shortly thereafter and felt there was a similarity ...
As some here may remember, I have a bad ear for voices ... but I found myself
mouthing the words to 4th Time Around while Norwegian Wood was playing ...

SNUMBER6

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
>From: bkaw...@aol.combo ( Who Me)

>Doesn't jump out at me the way the similarity of My Sweet Lord and He's So
>Fine
>does...

It's funny how different people hear things different ... It took me following
the sheet music to see that one ... of course I'm the one who asked who the guy
was singing with Simon on a MP3 I had ... turns out most said Duh .. Garfunkel
... So my credibility is low ... :-)

Loops

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
>It is hard to say since Blonde on Blonde (the album it is on) came out about
>the same time as the Beatles tune ... sort of a simultaneous orchestration
>:-)

In the UK, Rubber Soul was released in December 1965. Blonde on Blonde in
August 1966.

They do sound similiar, both in content and in style. But i've always
considered it to be a "sound of the sixties" so to speak. Don't think there
was any intentional ripping off going on.

Grvrmonstr

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
>of course I'm the one who asked who the guy
>was singing with Simon on a MP3 I had ... turns out most said Duh ..
>Garfunkel
>... So my credibility is low ... :-)

Hey, if you played it off as a "I was testing you," I wouldn't have been so
bewildered :-)

Keren
"Hey, I've got nothing to do today, but smile."
-Paul Simon

SNUMBER6

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
>From: grvrm...@aol.com (Grvrmonstr)

>Hey, if you played it off as a "I was testing you," I wouldn't have been so
>bewildered :-)

That was not my worst faux pas ... I was led there by co-workers who said
...well it's not Garfunkel ... but lately, while watching the movie Mystery,
Alaska ... I told my wife that one of the actors I thought was Sean Connery did
not sound like him at all ... It was Burt Reynolds ... Recognizing voices and
faces is NOT my forte as you can easily see ...

David Wilkenfeld

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00

SNUMBER6 wrote in message <20000728154600...@ng-fs1.aol.com>...

>Although this is the PS newsgroup ... and in a couple of months I am sure
it
>will be bombarded with critiques of the long awaited new album ... I'd like
>get off topic just once again regarding Bob Dylan ...
>Query : Listen to 2nd Time Around then listen to the Beatles Norwegian Wood
>then tell me if there is not some unintentional plagarism in Norwegian Wood
>both in melody and some phrasing ...

You know, I always felt some sort of a familiarity when listening to 4th
Time Around, but never associated it with Norwegian Wood. You're right! They
do sound familiar. But I have to say, it could be unconcious plagiarism,
just as I truly belive My Sweet Lord was.

I say this because I occasionally write myself. My spurts of inspiration
come to me usually at around 5:00AM when I'm lying in bed. Suddnly, a great
tune pops into my head, and I start writing a song then and there. After I
wake up, I invariably discover that the tune I've "written" is curiously
similar to some song I'd been listening to fr the past few weeks.

I guess real songwriters get truly orignal tunes sent to them by whatever
songwriting spirit exists. I, unfortunately, don't.

That's not say, however, that some "real" songwriters don't are not inspired
by pre-existing tunes lurking in their subconcious mind. For example, listen
to these songs and tell me if they don't sound like....:

Say You, Say Me (Lionel Ritchie) sounds like A Day in the Life (The Beatles)
You Sang to Me (Mark Anthony) sounds like The Greatest Discovery (Elton
John)
Healing Hands (Elton John) sounds like Philadelphia Freedom (Elton John)
(can you plagiarise yourself?)

Also, 80% of country songs have the exact same chord structure, as do blues
songs, and sound almost identical, except for the lyrics.

So, who you gonna sue?

Joey Berger

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On 28 Jul 2000 20:33:51 GMT, bkaw...@aol.combo ( Who Me) wrote:

>That's 4th Time Around. I've heard this mentioned before. I really don't se it.

>Doesn't jump out at me the way the similarity of My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine
>does...

How about during Paul's solo central park show - the falsetto during
Diamonds sounds *exactly* like Blue Moon.

>Bill
>

>"Now, too much of nothing
>Can make a man feel ill at ease.
>One man's temper might rise
>While another man's temper might freeze."
>
>-- Bob Dylan

Joey Berger
pa...@simon.org
icq:14315467 AOLim: simondmb
Lasers In The Jungle: http://paul.simon.org

Who Me

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
>but lately, while watching the movie Mystery,
>Alaska ... I told my wife that one of the actors I thought was Sean Connery
>did
>not sound like him at all ... It was Burt Reynolds ... Recognizing voices and
>faces is NOT my forte as you can easily see ...

Well, here's a test for you then. Get the movie "Conspiracy Theory," and name
all the people who get in the cab in the opening sequence...
:-)

Loops

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
>Healing Hands (Elton John) sounds like Philadelphia Freedom (Elton John)
>(can you plagiarise yourself?)

No, thats called "running out of ideas".

Who Me

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
>Healing Hands (Elton John) sounds like Philadelphia Freedom (Elton John)
>(can you plagiarise yourself?)

Fantasy Records sued John Fogerty for that very thing. Thought that his solo
work was hurting sales of CCR albums...
(I'm pretty sure that one was thrown out)

Chris Stern

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Doubtful from the Beatles viewpoint. Rubber Soul
was released at the end of 65 well before Blonde on Blonde and quite
incredibly Norwegian Wood was recorded and finished in one 3 hour session.
The phrasing I think would have developed quite naturally. It's a beautiful
track I think.

Chris

"SNUMBER6" <snum...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Although this is the PS newsgroup ... and in a couple of months I am sure
it
> will be bombarded with critiques of the long awaited new album ... I'd
like to
> get off topic just once again regarding Bob Dylan ...
> Query : Listen to 2nd Time Around then listen to the Beatles Norwegian
Wood ...
> then tell me if there is not some unintentional plagarism in Norwegian
Wood
> both in melody and some phrasing ...

Paul

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
The best bit of Moody Blues hit Nights in White Satin And i love
her --------------- are very like the The last notes of For Emily Whenever
I May Find Her, has no-one ever noyiced this. If S & G had of expanded the
arrangement they might have had a big hit.

Paul

Astromech9

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Actually, I've read that Dylan wrote this as a deliberate response to, almost a
parody of, Norwegian Wood. He did the same thing with the Beatles' 'I Wanna Be
Your Man' (also recorded by the Stones) with 'I Wanna Be Your Lover'. I wish I
could remember where I heard that though.

Pat

><HTML><PRE>Subject: Sound alike to anyone ??
>From: snum...@aol.com (SNUMBER6)
>Date: Fri, Jul 28, 2000 15:46 EDT

Who Me

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
>He did the same thing with the Beatles' 'I Wanna Be
>Your Man'

Wow. There's something to aspire to as a songwriter...
:-)

pyan...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2015, 9:09:59 AM12/10/15
I just listened to Emily for the first time, perhaps, and noticed the similar crescendo. Justin Hayward states that he wrote Nights when he was 19 (October 1965 to October 1966) and it was recorded during the warmer half of 1967, in London. Emily was released in 1966. It is just a short part of each song. It is also worth noting that Hayward, Simon and Garfunkel are all tremendously innovative composers who write music which springs from their fantastic grasp on music theory. So it is quite likely that the sound co-evolved as the consequence of their shared musical environment, of that point in time, and their wonderful musical insight.