Someone else sang 59th street bridge song????

simple simon fan

Mar 20, 2002, 7:31:50 PM3/20/02
Hello all,

The other day, Amy and I were watching an infomercial about 60's music, and
we wanted to see if they were going to have Simon and Garfunkel on it, so we
kept watching. Low and behold 59th Street Bridge Song came on....but some
other musicians were singing it!!! Who are they? Why are they singing it? I
thought that Paul wrote that song!!! What's the deal???

Thank you,
Megan
"in the bottles and the bones of the night."

willy

Mar 20, 2002, 7:41:15 PM3/20/02
Megan,
You probably saw a group called Harpers Bazaar(if I remember correctly)
doing it. They recorded a single of it, and it probably got as much radio play
as Simon and Garfunkel's. Most people think the Harpers Bazaar version *IS*
the Simon and Garfunkel version.

Cathy Friedmann

Mar 20, 2002, 9:32:23 PM3/20/02
Oh, Harper's Bazaar (sp?) had a hit single with it.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"simple simon fan" <simples...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Who Me

Mar 21, 2002, 12:47:24 AM3/21/02
> You probably saw a group called Harpers Bazaar(

Maybe my memory has slipped, but wasn't it Harper's Bizzare?

Bill

"Television is not the truth. Television is a goddamn amusement park"
-- Howard Beale
"A lot of people in this business think I'm a smart-ass."
--David Letterman, 2/28/01
"I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone.

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 21, 2002, 12:51:14 AM3/21/02
> Maybe my memory has slipped, but wasn't it Harper's Bizzare?

He could be, but you know he wasn't born yet; in fact, Paul wasn't even
married. :-)

bcf

Who Me

Mar 21, 2002, 12:55:27 AM3/21/02
>Maybe my memory has slipped, but wasn't it Harper's Bizzare?

http://musicradio.computer.net/Surveys/1967/surveymar1467.html

...scroll down to #71.

Who Me

Mar 21, 2002, 12:57:24 AM3/21/02
http://www.information-entertainment.com/numbers.html

I can think of at least two songs missing from this list (one of which has been
mentioned here very recently)...

Roffelsen, Han

Mar 21, 2002, 2:42:59 AM3/21/02

"simple simon fan" <simples...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> Hello all,
>
> The other day, Amy and I were watching an infomercial about 60's music,
and
> we wanted to see if they were going to have Simon and Garfunkel on it, so
we
> kept watching. Low and behold 59th Street Bridge Song came on....but some
> other musicians were singing it!!! Who are they? Why are they singing it?
> thought that Paul wrote that song!!! What's the deal???

There is a really beautiful live version of the song by Al Kooper and Mick
Bloomfield. I think Paul is singing along on the last verse (can someone
confirm?).
I love this cover. It differs much from the original and is still very
recognizable.

Han Roffelsen
The Netherlands

Nicolas

Mar 21, 2002, 4:53:26 AM3/21/02
Excellent!
Incidentally it is "Harpers Bizarre".
--
Nicolas

www.altmusicpaulsimon.com

"Ben Cook-Feltz" <bush...@cfu.net> a écrit dans le message news:
3C9974D1...@cfu.net...

BLACKMANNY1

Mar 21, 2002, 9:32:25 AM3/21/02
>I can think of at least two songs missing from this list

Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
Nothing Compares 2U

Christy

Mar 21, 2002, 9:44:48 AM3/21/02
Can the newbie play?

I thought of Wed. Morning, but it looks like they only want songs that start
with numbers. Then I thought of One Man's Ceiling, does that count -- or do
they only want songs that start with the digit rather than having the number
spelled out?

<Insert pun about numbers getting serious here.>
Christy

"BLACKMANNY1" <black...@aol.com> wrote in message

Roffelsen, Han

Mar 21, 2002, 9:49:24 AM3/21/02

" Who Me" <bkaw...@aol.com.spmskz> schreef in bericht

> http://www.information-entertainment.com/numbers.html
>

> I can think of at least two songs missing from this list (one of which has
been
> mentioned here very recently)...

98.6 (john fred and his playboys)
24 hours from Tulsa (Gene Pitney)

Han Roffelsen
The Netherlands

Nicolas

Mar 21, 2002, 10:04:57 AM3/21/02
99 Miles From LA

--
Nicolas

www.altmusicpaulsimon.com

"Roffelsen, Han" <Han.Ro...@ou.nl> a écrit dans le message news:
a7cruc$ha4$1...@news.surfnet.nl...

Who Me

Mar 21, 2002, 2:28:15 PM3/21/02
>Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
>Nothing Compares 2U

No. I believe the list was song tiles that START with numbers. The one
mentioned here was "96 Tears." The other one I thought of, but can't remember
who sang it, is "634-5789."

Who Me

Mar 21, 2002, 2:29:06 PM3/21/02
>98.6 (john fred and his playboys)
>24 hours from Tulsa (Gene Pitney)

Very good, although 98.6 was by Keith.

SNUMBER6

Mar 21, 2002, 2:58:35 PM3/21/02
>From: bkaw...@aol.com.spmskz ( Who Me)

>The other one I thought of, but can't remember
>who sang it, is "634-5789."

I know Wilson Pickett with the Blues Brothers Band did it in Blues Brothers
2000 ... was he also the first ??... seems about the right time ...

In the Village ....
I am not a number ... I am a free man !!!!

Simon Murgatroyd

Mar 21, 2002, 3:56:50 PM3/21/02
634-5789 - so did Ry Cooder.

Simon M
"SNUMBER6" <snum...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cathy Friedmann

Mar 21, 2002, 5:43:45 PM3/21/02
A 1-hit wonder that I really liked.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

" Who Me" <bkaw...@aol.com.spmskz> wrote in message

BLACKMANNY1

Mar 21, 2002, 8:39:18 PM3/21/02
>> I know Wilson Pickett with the Blues Brothers Band did it in Blues
>Brothers
>> 2000 ... was he also the first ??... seems about the right time ...

Steve Cropper & Eddie (Knock On Wood) Floyd wrote it for Wilson Pickett in
1966. I had it confused at first with Beechwood 4-5789 by Martha & The
Vandellas but then I realized I was "hearing" a different song in my head.
It's been recorded by a *lot* of people including Ry Cooder, BonJovi, Trace
Adkins, Edwin Starr, and there's a live version by Bruce Springsteen floating
around somewhere from 1974.

The Fyfe Family

Mar 22, 2002, 10:08:23 PM3/22/02
My parents have an indescribably heinous version performed by Australian pop
group The Seekers. They repeat "Feeling Groovy" for about two minutes at the
end.

Joey Berger

Mar 21, 2002, 10:09:48 PM3/21/02
On 21 Mar 2002 19:28:15 GMT, bkaw...@aol.com.spmskz ( Who Me) wrote:

>>Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.
>>Nothing Compares 2U
>>

>No. I believe the list was song tiles that START with numbers. The one
>mentioned here was "96 Tears." The other one I thought of, but can't remember
>who sang it, is "634-5789."

Do you mean 867-5309/Jenny?

willy

Mar 22, 2002, 1:55:19 AM3/22/02
99.9 Fahrenheit Degrees
1 is the Loneliest Number(or is that just called "The Loneliest Number?")
2 Minutes To Midnight
Three Times a Lady

Pauline Williams

Mar 22, 2002, 12:02:20 PM3/22/02
2 4 6 8 Motorway - Tom Robinson Band

Pauline. ;-}

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:55:19 GMT, willy <wi...@willy.com.invalid>

Who Me

Mar 22, 2002, 12:13:02 PM3/22/02
>A 1-hit wonder that I really liked.

Keith actually had two hits, the other being "Tell Me To My Face."

Who Me

Mar 22, 2002, 12:14:22 PM3/22/02
>Do you mean 867-5309/Jenny?

No, and if there's a joke there, it has escaped me...
:-)

Who Me

Mar 22, 2002, 12:16:37 PM3/22/02
>1 is the Loneliest Number(or is that just called "The Loneliest Number?")

No, it's called "One." It's a Nilsson song...

Cathy Friedmann

Mar 22, 2002, 4:08:08 PM3/22/02

> >A 1-hit wonder that I really liked.
> >

> Keith actually had two hits, the other being "Tell Me To My Face."

I don't remember that one, only 98.6.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 22, 2002, 5:41:48 PM3/22/02
> I can think of at least two songs missing from this list (one of which has been
> mentioned here very recently)...

"9.95" by Spunkadelic, from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack!! :-)

bcf

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 22, 2002, 5:44:20 PM3/22/02
Well, Sharon, Lois, and Bram did a great version of it on the old "Elephant
Show" on Nick Jr.! It was this casual little a capella rendition while a bunch
of lil' tykes played soccer, and then they closed it off with good ol'
"Skiddamarinky Dink!" Sometimes I miss growing up on Nick Jr. in the late 80's.
:-)

bcf

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 22, 2002, 5:46:37 PM3/22/02
OH, and I forgot another one-- "30,000 Pounds Of Bananas" by Harry Chapin.

bcf

willy

Mar 23, 2002, 2:27:16 AM3/23/02
That reminds me of "One" by Metallica. It's from when they were cool.

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 23, 2002, 2:29:33 AM3/23/02
> That reminds me of "One" by Metallica. It's from when they were cool.

Oh yeah, I remember that year. ;-)

bcf

Who Me

Mar 23, 2002, 2:59:49 AM3/23/02
>That reminds me of "One" by Metallica. It's from when they were cool.
>
>Who Me wrote:
>
>> >1 is the Loneliest Number(or is that just called "The Loneliest Number?")

Is it the same song??

Who Me

Mar 23, 2002, 3:04:33 AM3/23/02
>>That reminds me of "One" by Metallica. It's from when they were cool.
>>

>Is it the same song??

No, it's not.
Okay thanks.
No problem.

Who Me

Mar 23, 2002, 3:10:44 AM3/23/02
>>Is it the same song??
>>

>No, it's not.
>Okay thanks.
>No problem.

...and, while tracking that down, I stumbled upon two more Nilsson number
songs; Ten Little Indians, and 1941.

RINGO AB

Mar 24, 2002, 12:55:54 PM3/24/02
What about 25 or 6 to 4? or however its spelled out. im surprised that one
wasnt mentioned earlier. and if were just talking about songs with numbers
theres revolution 1 and revolution 9 from the beatles.

Amy

Joey Berger

Mar 24, 2002, 1:13:54 PM3/24/02
On 21 Mar 2002 05:57:24 GMT, bkaw...@aol.com.spmskz ( Who Me) wrote:

>http://www.information-entertainment.com/numbers.html

Amazing they left off Dylan (4th Time Around, 2X2 and 10,000 Men).

Who Me

Mar 24, 2002, 11:05:03 PM3/24/02
>What about 25 or 6 to 4? or however its spelled out. im surprised that one
>wasnt mentioned earlier. and if were just talking about songs with numbers
>theres revolution 1 and revolution 9 from the beatles.

EIGHT Days a Week...

willy

Mar 25, 2002, 1:41:31 AM3/25/02
Three is a Magic Number...

Who Me

Mar 25, 2002, 1:44:14 AM3/25/02
>> EIGHT Days a Week...

TWO of Us

willy

Mar 25, 2002, 3:16:30 AM3/25/02
One More Night (hate to drag Phil Collins into this)...

Wilkie

Mar 25, 2002, 8:38:22 PM3/25/02
Beethoven's FIFTH??

(and for the record, I don't even know what we're talking about)

"willy" <wi...@willy.com.invalid> wrote in message

Wilkie

Mar 25, 2002, 8:45:04 PM3/25/02
OK, If we're doing number songs, let's go in order:

One is the loneliest number
Two of us
ABC, easy as one two THREE
Positively 4th st
Beethoven's FIFTH
25 or SIX to 4
etc.

"Wilkie" <wil...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Who Me

Mar 25, 2002, 9:32:24 PM3/25/02
>One is the loneliest number
>Two of us
>ABC, easy as one two THREE
>Positively 4th st
>Beethoven's FIFTH
>25 or SIX to 4

I think the original concept was song titles that star with numbers.

Wilkie

Mar 28, 2002, 2:24:49 PM3/28/02

> >One is the loneliest number
> >Two of us
> >ABC, easy as one two THREE
> >Positively 4th st
> >Beethoven's FIFTH
> >25 or SIX to 4
>

> I think the original concept was song titles that star with numbers.

Ah, alight then

One is the loneliest number

Two of Us
Three Times a Lady
Four You Blue
Fifth Time Around

OK, I'm stuck.

Joey Berger

Mar 28, 2002, 2:46:48 PM3/28/02

Sixteen candles (close enough?)

Who Me

Mar 28, 2002, 7:34:36 PM3/28/02
>>Four You Blue
>>Fifth Time Around

Well, that would be For You Blue (which wouldn't really count) and Fourth Time
Around.

Wilkie

Mar 28, 2002, 11:13:48 PM3/28/02

> >>Four You Blue
> >>Fifth Time Around
>

> Well, that would be For You Blue (which wouldn't really count) and Fourth
Time
> Around.

Details

Wilkie

Mar 28, 2002, 11:19:09 PM3/28/02

"Joey Berger" <pa...@simon.org.invalid> wrote in message

That would be SIX teen candles. Right on!

Who Me

Mar 29, 2002, 12:57:34 AM3/29/02
>> Sixteen candles (close enough?)

Six O'clock
(it's a Lovin' Spoonful tune)

Joey Berger

Mar 29, 2002, 1:12:50 AM3/29/02

Seven O'Clock News/Silent Night.

Who Me

Mar 29, 2002, 1:25:54 AM3/29/02
>Seven O'Clock News/Silent Night.

Eight Days a Week

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 29, 2002, 1:36:15 AM3/29/02
> Six O'clock
> (it's a Lovin' Spoonful tune)

Also a Ringo tune written by Paul McCartney.

bcf

willy

Mar 29, 2002, 1:46:11 AM3/29/02
Three Blind Mice (Popular)
Two Turntables and a Microphone (Beck)
One Piece at a Time (Johnny Cash)

Joey Berger

Mar 29, 2002, 1:48:24 AM3/29/02
On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:46:11 GMT, willy <wi...@willy.com.invalid>
wrote:

One toke over the line.

Han Roffelsen

Mar 29, 2002, 2:07:05 AM3/29/02

> Sixteen candles (close enough?)

Three coins in the fountain (a tune from the fourties or fifties)
Seven seconds (Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry)
Nine by nine (John Dummer's famous MB)
9.30 (The Mama's and The Papa's)
Ten Years (does someone know who sings this?)

Han Roffelsen
The Netherlands

Who Me

Mar 29, 2002, 11:32:51 AM3/29/02
>9.30 (The Mama's and The Papa's)

That's 12:30

Ben Cook-Feltz

Mar 29, 2002, 11:43:14 AM3/29/02
> Two Turntables and a Microphone (Beck)

Actually that song's called "Where It's At." I don't think Beck has ever
written a 'number' song.

bcf

SNUMBER6

Mar 29, 2002, 11:41:58 AM3/29/02
>From: "Han Roffelsen" han.ro...@ou.nl

>Three coins in the fountain (a tune from the fourties or fifties)
>Seven seconds (Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry)
>Nine by nine (John Dummer's famous MB)
>9.30 (The Mama's and The Papa's)
>Ten Years (does someone know who sings this?)

An American favorite I am surprised has not surfaced yet ...
99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall
and the shorter AM version 19 bottles of Beer on the Wall ...

In the Village ....
I am not a number ... I am a free man !!!!

Cathy Friedmann

Mar 29, 2002, 12:05:53 PM3/29/02

> An American favorite I am surprised has not surfaced yet ...
> 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall
> and the shorter AM version 19 bottles of Beer on the Wall ...

On elementary school field trips we must've driven umpteen school bus
drivers completely buggy w/ "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall", sung over &
over... and we didn't know there *was* a shorter version, poor guys.
(There weren't women school bus drivers in the 50's & early 60's, that I
remember.) Otoh, we always sang "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" for the
driver, at the end of each trip, so it (sort of) evened out. ;-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

willy

Mar 30, 2002, 12:20:35 AM3/30/02
Dammit I knew someone was gonna call me on that.

BLACKMANNY1

Mar 30, 2002, 1:15:33 PM3/30/02
>EIGHT Days a Week...

One After 909

suenic...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2013, 3:31:16 PM12/8/13
I remember, back in the day, a version of Feelin' Groovy by Drupi. Was I imagining this or does anyone else remember it? Really slow and bluesy