Silverchair...Bigger Posers than Bush!!!

William Allen

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
and I reversed then just add chair to it.

Michael Lau

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

wa...@voicenet.com wrote:

Well, as they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I like Silverchair OK. They're just a bunch of kids. One day they'll grow
up and find their own sound. I do like their song "Abuse Me" and I can
definitely see the Nirvana-like lyrics in it. There's a line: "I don't
think you like me/Well I hate you as well" which sounds entirely too much
like Nirvana's "I'm so ugly/but that's OK so are you." Whatever,
nevermind.

Josh King

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

You know, calling someone a poser sounds so fucking stupid.

Hate, hate your enemies,
Save, save your friends,
Find, find your place,
Speak, speak the truth.

--Kurt Cobain

SNiKYooth

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

yeah man, i agree. just kidding. i think that's crap. silverchair have
talent and some originality. Bush do not. Bush has a formula for their
songs structure. silverchair does not (Listen to the new record). I
personally don't think silverchair lifts lyrics from Nirvana songs.
"abuse me" could be more clever than you may think it to be. A song about
critics making fun of them and not giving them a chance (calling them
Nirvana rip-offs) that contains some lyric that critics would just go
after, like you did there. silverchair are turning into less of a grunge
band. In fact, silverhchair are no longer a "grunge" band. calling them
bigger posers than Bush is ridiculous. How many times have you heard
timpani on a nirvana record? What about a sitar? hmm..ZERO. Who uses a
jag-stang, the guitar built for Kurt? Gavin. Daniel uses PRS and Gibson
guitars. There are only 2 parts of the record that should be compared to
Nirvana: the aforementioned and "Lie To Me". Everyone seems to see their
age and Daniel's hair and just go off. The music industry is much less
mature than you would think it to be....

ze...@peganet.com

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Josh King <jn-...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

What's up dude...

Eric Evans

Mar 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/15/97

William Allen wrote:

> I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
> I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
> are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
> Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
> think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
> and I reversed then just add chair to it.

Yeah, Silverchair is pretty derivative music, but they're a young band.
Most young bands haven't developed they're own style yet. Also,
Silverchair will be the first to tell you that Nirvana is a favorite
band of theirs, and you don't see the little fuckers acting like they're
the next big thing in music or anything. The guys in Bush have been
around awhile, and IMHO, their music sounds more calculated and
contrived than Silverchair's.

Interesting idea as to where the name came from. At least its more
creative than naming yourselves after lousy brand of beer. Oh yeah, I
forgot, Bush named themselves after the town they came from. Whoa.
Guess a name says alot about a band. All I know is that the local
white-trash rock station in my area gets off on the band because they
think the name is a sexual reference.

Would all these crappy bands be coming out if Cobain were still alive?
I don't think so. He would be making new music, and bands would try to
copy it, but Nirvana would have moved on to even different music by
then. Sort of like the Beatles. Nobody could copy them because they
were moving so fast. You had the Monkeys, but by the time they got the
sound down, the Beatles already moved on to making psychedelic music.

Eric

Josh King

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

Bush means several different things in Britian, for instance, it is a
term for bud or so I've heard. Silverchair got there name from Sliver
and Berlin Chair. They were going to call in to a radio station and
request these songs and were going to write "sliver" and "chair" for
short so that they could remember. One of mispelled sliver and it read
silverchair and it stuck. They also said they don't really like Nirvana
that much and thought they were and OK band. They remind me much more of
Helmet, Tool, and Soundgarden. They really love Helmet and Tool.

Mrwormy

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

I think your a fuckin wanker.

William Allen <wa...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
<332616e4...@netnews.voicenet.com>...

Susan

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

musi...@dti.net (Michael Lau) wrote:

>wa...@voicenet.com wrote:

>> I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
>> I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
>> are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
>> Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
>> think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
>> and I reversed then just add chair to it.

>Well, as they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

>I like Silverchair OK. They're just a bunch of kids. One day they'll grow
>up and find their own sound. I do like their song "Abuse Me" and I can
>definitely see the Nirvana-like lyrics in it. There's a line: "I don't
>think you like me/Well I hate you as well" which sounds entirely too much
>like Nirvana's "I'm so ugly/but that's OK so are you." Whatever,
>nevermind.

I saw in a silverfish interview a couple of years back now that they
got there name from two of their favourite bands.. Alice in chains and
Nirvana .....

The silver came from Sliver (??? stupid as that is) and the chair came
from Alice's "Angry chair" ....

I know that much about them! : o )

Michael Sabell

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

Hey, you're right. The name silverchair (yup, spelt with a lowercase 's')
actually came about when Daniel and (I think) Ben were sitting around,
listening to Triple J and wanting to request songs. Daniel wanted to hear
'Angry Chair' by Alice In Chains, and Ben wanted 'Sliver' by Nirvana. So
they wacked the two names together, as 'sliverchair', but someone
misspelled it so it ended up 'silverchair'.

A fellow Aussie like silverchair
Mick (the 'chair kicks ass)

Mrwormy <Mrw...@onaustralia.com.au> wrote in article
<01bc3210$4a8f44a0$255a...@dialup.ozemail.com.au>...

> I think your a fuckin wanker.
>
> William Allen <wa...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
> <332616e4...@netnews.voicenet.com>...

Michael Sabell

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

At least SOMEONE knows what they're talking about here. Silverchair was
actually Sliverchair.

Susan <wee...@networx.net.au> wrote in article
<5gli1h$q...@news.mel.aone.net.au>...

> musi...@dti.net (Michael Lau) wrote:
>
> >wa...@voicenet.com wrote:
>

> >> I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
> >> I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
> >> are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
> >> Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
> >> think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
> >> and I reversed then just add chair to it.

Josh King

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

On 18 Mar 1997, Michael Sabell wrote:

> Hey, you're right. The name silverchair (yup, spelt with a lowercase 's')
> actually came about when Daniel and (I think) Ben were sitting around,
> listening to Triple J and wanting to request songs. Daniel wanted to hear
> 'Angry Chair' by Alice In Chains, and Ben wanted 'Sliver' by Nirvana. So
> they wacked the two names together, as 'sliverchair', but someone
> misspelled it so it ended up 'silverchair'.
>
> A fellow Aussie like silverchair
> Mick (the 'chair kicks ass)
>
> Mrwormy <Mrw...@onaustralia.com.au> wrote in article
> <01bc3210$4a8f44a0$255a...@dialup.ozemail.com.au>...
> > I think your a fuckin wanker.
> >
> > William Allen <wa...@voicenet.com> wrote in article
> > <332616e4...@netnews.voicenet.com>...

> > > I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
> > > I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
> > > are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
> > > Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
> > > think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
> > > and I reversed then just add chair to it.

Was it Angry Chair? My sister's a big fan and she said it was Berlin
Chair by somebody, don't remember who. I've seen the tape she has of the
interview, but it's not a very good tape and it's kinda hard to
understand with the Aussie accent.

Saras Naidoo

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Well, actually silverchair got their name from 2 nirvana songs.
They are sliver and chair both by Nirvana. I know this because they said in
Guitar World when they listened to the 2 songs it helped them come up with
the name silverchair ( they thought sliverchair sounded retarded). Check
out the interview in GW.
In my opinion they kind of copied Pearl Jam in Frogstomp and now Nirvana.
They copy Nirvana mostly because of how in Slave they kind of let the
lyrics drag along.

Sanjay Naidoo
:-)

Susan <wee...@networx.net.au> wrote in article
<5gli1h$q...@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
> musi...@dti.net (Michael Lau) wrote:
>
> >wa...@voicenet.com wrote:
>

> >> I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
> >> I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
> >> are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
> >> Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
> >> think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
> >> and I reversed then just add chair to it.

Jeff read

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

In article <332B70...@umich.edu>, eev...@umich.edu says...

>William Allen wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
>> I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
>> are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
>> Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
>> think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
>> and I reversed then just add chair to it.
>

>Yeah, Silverchair is pretty derivative music, but they're a young band.
>Most young bands haven't developed they're own style yet. Also,
>Silverchair will be the first to tell you that Nirvana is a favorite
>band of theirs, and you don't see the little fuckers acting like
they're
>the next big thing in music or anything. The guys in Bush have been
>around awhile, and IMHO, their music sounds more calculated and
>contrived than Silverchair's.

silverchar are just crap and if you want to know the long list of
reasons why check out the "I hate silverchair pages" done by some aussie
named grum at www.iap.net.au/~grum/main.html. theyre also a real good
laugh and will help all their misinformed fans realize what kind of
poser crud the sony corperation are passing of as music. Oh yeah, did
anyone else ot there realize that grunge has been dead for 4 years now
and all that is being passed off as grunge is the same as mainstream new
wave and metal in the 80's, and nirvana was too poppy(in the good
way).except on bleach, to be "grunge",
jeff

Josh King

Mar 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/19/97

Hate pages are the stupidest things I have ever seen. They are a
complete waste of time because you are spending time working on something
you have no interest in. One of my friends started to make a Pearl Jam
hate page a few weeks ago and he quit because he realized how stupid they
are.

j read

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

.

>Hate pages are the stupidest things I have ever seen. They are a
>complete waste of time because you are spending time working on something
>you have no interest in. One of my friends started to make a Pearl Jam
>hate page a few weeks ago and he quit because he realized how stupid they
>are.

I happend upon the page acidentially and I just thought it was funny and alot
of the things the guy said were true, i agree that he should find a better
use for his time

Khaos

Mar 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/20/97

In Silverchair's Freakshow album, there is a song called "Lie to Me",
which if you listen carefully, is a complete rip-off of Nirvana's
Tourette's.

Jag-Stang Hero

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

Yup!!! And "Roses" has a Familliar "Nevermindish" edge to it,
Silverchair is starting to really bug me because they are starting to
sound more like Nirvana, but they are wearing off their "Oh they're just
a young band" excuse.

jAg~sTaNg hEr0
fies...@hotmail.com

Jag-Stang Hero

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

> > silverchar are just crap and if you want to know the long list of
> > reasons why check out the "I hate silverchair pages" done by some aussie
> > named grum at www.iap.net.au/~grum/main.html. theyre also a real good
> > laugh and will help all their misinformed fans realize what kind of
> > poser crud the sony corperation are passing of as music. Oh yeah, did
> > anyone else ot there realize that grunge has been dead for 4 years now
> > and all that is being passed off as grunge is the same as mainstream new
> > wave and metal in the 80's, and nirvana was too poppy(in the good
> > way).except on bleach, to be "grunge",
> > jeff
Wait a minute....Dead for 4 years, let's see, that would mean that
grunge was dead in 93', I hardly think so! Grunge still hasn't died,
dying maybe, and at a fast rate, but it still has a pulse. And so
Bleach was the only Nirvana grunge album eh? I highly doubt that, all
of them were, and even if they weren't "grunge" in your opinion, it was
still great music.

NIRVANA

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

> Hate, hate your enemies,
> Save, save your friends,
> Find, find your place,
> Speak, speak the truth.
>
> --Kurt Cobain

I don't think that is a quote from Kurt
and while we are talking about Silverchair......if anyone listens to
Helmet's new album they will find out that Helmet is their true
influence.....it is an exact replica of Silverchair's style of heaviness
on many of their songs.....I don't think Silverchair has enough talent
to warrant superstar status but then again they are young....people
think that since they came out with Tomorrow (an above average song)
that they are this new standard in alt/rock music.......I think the
closest Silverchair came to Nirvana is on the song Lie to Me on their
new album.....

--
"It's better to burn out, than to fade away" -=The Mighty KC=-

DRifTeR

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

personally, i think silverchair is a great band, even if they do have
songs that have similar riffs.
--

DRifTeR__________________________
____d...@connect.ccsn.edu_____

Justin Fox

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97
to NEWS.ALT.MUSIC.NIRVANA

SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BUT sILVERCHAIR BITES. tHEY ARE THE BIGGEST
WANNABEE NIRVANA BAND. tHEIR MUSIC IS HORRIBLE AND VERY GAY

Roger Panton

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

THEY r 17, how many bands do you know that at 17 didn't 'copy'
another song. If u listen to a song like it then write on at 17 it
gonna be kinda similar (in my opinion, not that that's worth much
but..)

alex

ALEXP...@INORBIT.COM

DRifTeR

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Justin Fox wrote:

> SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BUT sILVERCHAIR BITES. tHEY ARE THE BIGGEST
> WANNABEE NIRVANA BAND. tHEIR MUSIC IS HORRIBLE AND VERY GAY
just curious here.... since when does music have any sexual preference
what-so-ever? i always thought it was asexual! does it reproductive
organs or what? wow! this is just wierd.

Brian Davis

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

Justin Fox wrote:

> SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BUT sILVERCHAIR BITES. tHEY ARE THE BIGGEST
> WANNABEE NIRVANA BAND. tHEIR MUSIC IS HORRIBLE AND VERY GAY
Wannabe Nirvana band?? Everyone keeps saying how Silverchair sounds
like Nirvana, I don't hear it. I've yet to hear a Silverchair song that
me go like "that sounds like Nirvana." There first album sounded a lot
like Pearl Jam to me though and couple like the Smashing Pumpkins.

William Allen

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On 26 Mar 1997 21:23:54 GMT, Justin Fox
<jf...@worldnet.att.net@jf...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BUT sILVERCHAIR BITES. tHEY ARE THE BIGGEST
>WANNABEE NIRVANA BAND. tHEIR MUSIC IS HORRIBLE AND VERY GAY

Didn't the lead singer say SHE was a lesbian?The drummer sort of
reveals Dave.Has anyone seen when Silverchair has demolition at the
end?They do every move Nirvana does like running into drums,standing
in front of the amps having feedback with the guitar.

William Allen

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 22:35:02 -0800, Brian Davis
<brian...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Justin Fox wrote:
>>
>> SORRY TO BREAK YOUR HEART BUT sILVERCHAIR BITES. tHEY ARE THE BIGGEST
>> WANNABEE NIRVANA BAND. tHEIR MUSIC IS HORRIBLE AND VERY GAY

>Wannabe Nirvana band?? Everyone keeps saying how Silverchair sounds
>like Nirvana, I don't hear it. I've yet to hear a Silverchair song that
>me go like "that sounds like Nirvana." There first album sounded a lot
>like Pearl Jam to me though and couple like the Smashing Pumpkins.

I don't think you are listening hard enough Brian.

Brian Davis

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97
I think your listening so hard that you are immaging things. It just
not there. You people just don't know how it works, when a band does an
interview they ask them what they listen to or who are there
influences. They take the most popular bands and say they sound like
this band. People hear this and believe it. Even Dave Grohl says the
only band he hears that really sounds like Nirvana is Bush. Tell me
what song on Frogstomp sounds like Nirvana? None. Although I can see
where some might say that Lie To Me on Feak Show sounds some what like
Nirvana. But only the lyrics do to me, the riff sound like the Sex
Pistols.

g.l.a....@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2016, 10:42:10 AM8/18/16
On Monday, March 10, 1997 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+11, Michael Lau wrote:
> wa...@voicenet.com wrote:
>
> > I'm sure someone will agree with me about this.
> > I don't think Abuse Me sounds like Rape Me but I do think the words
> > are very related.Silverchair seems to take words from one of the
> > Nirvana songs amd then put them with a riff from another song.And I
> > think the name Silverchair could possibly come from SLIVER with the L
> > and I reversed then just add chair to it.
>
> Well, as they say, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.
>
> I like Silverchair OK. They're just a bunch of kids. One day they'll grow
> up and find their own sound. I do like their song "Abuse Me" and I can
> definitely see the Nirvana-like lyrics in it. There's a line: "I don't
> think you like me/Well I hate you as well" which sounds entirely too much
> like Nirvana's "I'm so ugly/but that's OK so are you." Whatever,
> nevermind.

did they grow up?

tfar...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2019, 9:47:11 AM4/8/19