[bst] for leisuretown fans...

J. Haas

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
My job occasionally takes me to Exotic Locales such as Mountain View,
California, home of Netscape Communications Corporation, which I visited as
part of my first trip to Silicon Valley. Among other things, there was a
trade show that we were exhibiting at, and I had my first Silicon Valley
power lunch, followed shortly by a power dinner. (unfortunately, I can't
discuss what we talked about. ;')

Of much more short term interest was our trip to Netscape. We met with a
fellow there who works on builds of Netscape Navigator and Mozilla for OSes
that don't have a real browser, such as the PPC port of Linux. In his
cubicle, I noticed one of those lame company awards that they give you for
having the shiniest shoes, making your ship date, etc.

One of those was for one of the teams this fellow had worked on.

One of the names on that award was "Tristan Farnon".

If proximity to greatness counts for anything, I was standing with one of the
people that used to work with Tristan Farnon! Cool! (We're all about being
in proximity to famous people on a.m.nin.) Turns out Mr. F. was quite the
character. Apparently, he's working at Macromedia now... which is well and
good, but not nearly as interesting as some of the stories that this fellow
had about Mr. F!

He's quite the prankster. He sent around an e-mail one April Fool's Day
saying to a bunch of folks at Netscape, and it said something like

"Hi everyone,

I lost control of my car this morning, and unfortunately I smashed into a
bunch of other cards before I couuld get it back under control. Here's the
license plate numbers of everyone who's car I hit:

A32FLE3E
MP676FT0
O3R184LC
WILIMANG
392AL4AB
FO23BARG
POPDADDY
M2OBL9SA
021L932B
JG83SD93

Apparently most of the people who got this were highly enraged until they
finally noticed what it said along the diagonals...

Unfortunately, i didn't remember anything else that this guy told me about
tristan, since drinking beer seems to be a part of Netscape corporate culture,
and we were doing so at the time. <g>

=- haaz.. MANEFESTI DIEM, PVNK.

N++ L H B M- T--z A+ U- I* P++ F+! S+ NC+ V- R+ D++?~ PB-

m.c.death

Mar 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/31/99
<exotic tale of Haas snipped>

Heh. Wish my IT job took me places, beyond the limited confines of urban
clinics (at least I get to see some of the Top 9 Babes at OHSU on a
near-daily basis...). ;)

So Haaz, are you coming out to Portland for the Linux convention in
August? Microbrew and the synthgeek studio are calling your name, you
know. :)

m.c.d., who misses Jase....

--
m.c.death...Attenuated Euphoria ("smart music for stupid people")
the premiere electro/industrial keyboardist slut of the Northwest

J. Haas

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
synt...@teleport.com (m.c.death) wrote:
> <exotic tale of Haas snipped>

goodness, that makes it sound like it was an erotic experience. ;')

> Heh. Wish my IT job took me places, beyond the limited confines of urban
> clinics (at least I get to see some of the Top 9 Babes at OHSU on a
> near-daily basis...). ;)

schveeeeet. ;)

> So Haaz, are you coming out to Portland for the Linux convention in
> August? Microbrew and the synthgeek studio are calling your name, you
> know. :)

Oh, it's in august now? It was in April, last October, but the bazaar was in
march, and it got moved to july....

/me goes cross-eyed trying to manage the dates!

I just might have to. ;')

> m.c.d., who misses Jase....

*snif* I miss you too, baby. I miss your hot Asian ass...

er.

RIGHT!

=- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.

BenjaminF

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
"J. Haas" wrote:

> synt...@teleport.com (m.c.death) wrote:
> > <exotic tale of Haas snipped>
>
> goodness, that makes it sound like it was an erotic experience. ;')
>
> > Heh. Wish my IT job took me places, beyond the limited confines of urban
> > clinics (at least I get to see some of the Top 9 Babes at OHSU on a
> > near-daily basis...). ;)
>
> schveeeeet. ;)
>
> > So Haaz, are you coming out to Portland for the Linux convention in
> > August? Microbrew and the synthgeek studio are calling your name, you
> > know. :)
>
> Oh, it's in august now? It was in April, last October, but the bazaar was in
> march, and it got moved to july....
>
> /me goes cross-eyed trying to manage the dates!
>
> I just might have to. ;')
>
> > m.c.d., who misses Jase....
>
> *snif* I miss you too, baby. I miss your hot Asian ass...
>
> er.
>
> RIGHT!
>
> =- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.

You do realize that 'manifesti diem' is nonsensical,
as there is no idiom or phrase 'reveal (or make
known) today' in latin. The phrase would be 'carpe
diem' which means 'seize today'.

--
休 Alpha Omega
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right

J. Haas

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
In article <37039575...@mindspring.com>,
BenjaminF <j...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "J. Haas" wrote:

> > =- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.
>
> You do realize that 'manifesti diem' is nonsensical,

OH FVCK

> as there is no idiom or phrase 'reveal (or make
> known) today' in latin. The phrase would be 'carpe
> diem' which means 'seize today'.

GEEZUS CHRIST MY HUMOROUS SIG IS RUINED

YOU FUCKING MURDERER

=- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.

N++ L H B M- T--z A+ U- I* P++ F+! S+ NC+ V- R+ D++?~ PB-

BenjaminF

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
"J. Haas" wrote:
> YOU FUCKING MURDERER

Watch it.

> =- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.

In honor of my homeys I tip the bottle.

nat

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
In article <7dth37$h6$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, jh...@madison-web.com
says...
<sneeeep>

> (We're all about being in proximity to famous people on a.m.nin.)

NO WAY!

Luv,
{o}

J. Haas

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99

> > YOU FUCKING MURDERER
>
> Watch it.

/me watches it.. it's not going anywhere... eyes hurting now.. scrolling
on..

> > =- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.
>
> In honor of my homeys I tip the bottle.

CORECTION:

That should be

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.

CORECTION:

"correction" is spelled with two "r"s.

=- haaz.. MANI^H^H^H^HFABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.

BenjaminF

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
"J. Haas" wrote:

> > > YOU FUCKING MURDERER
> >
> > Watch it.
>
> /me watches it.. it's not going anywhere... eyes hurting now.. scrolling
> on..

Good boy.

> > > =- haaz.. MANIFESTI DIEM, PVNK.
> >
> > In honor of my homeys I tip the bottle.
>
> CORECTION:
>
> That should be
>
> FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.

Wish it was. LIBRE DICTATUM , ASSHOLE.
(that's "the book was writ" for you punks that
need latin-english dictionaries)

> CORECTION:
>
> "correction" is spelled with two "r"s.
>
> =- haaz.. MANI^H^H^H^HFABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.

cya spaz. :)

--
休 Alpha Omega
Now I could never be a sell out like that Mic Everlast

J. Haas

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99

> > FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.
>
> Wish it was. LIBRE DICTATUM , ASSHOLE.

Ho! Ho! That's not in Latin! <BZZZT> Invalid! -3 points for invalid
flaming in a foreign language!

=- haaz.. FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.

N++ L H B M- T--z A+ U- I* P++ F+! S+ NC+ V- R+ D++?~ PB-

Terry Pratchett wrote it, not me. Go kick his ass.

BenjaminF

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
"J. Haas" wrote:

> > > FABRICATI DIEM, PVNK.
> >
> > Wish it was. LIBRE DICTATUM , ASSHOLE.
>
> Ho! Ho! That's not in Latin! <BZZZT> Invalid! -3 points for invalid
> flaming in a foreign language!

Oh I'm sorry that should read ANUSIEM
My bad.

--
¥ð Alpha Omega
<Graeme> do you believe her gusset to be a flowing swampy mess of vaginal

Yokes

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99

flocci non facio.

laytre
yokes.

home.tampabay.rr.com/yokes www.xenu.net www.theonion.com
_________AmNinCode v2.0__________
N+ L? H B M T! A! U I+* P++ F++ S+++* NC++* V+~ R+* D++ PB-
CDN +++*!

CDMCC

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
>You do realize that 'manifesti diem' is nonsensical,
> as there is no idiom or phrase 'reveal (or make
> known) today' in latin. The phrase would be 'carpe
> diem' which means 'seize today'

Well, if you want to get nitpicky about Latin... <g>:

'Carpe diem' means 'seize THE day', since 'today' is 'hodiernus dies'

And, incidentally, new phrases can be made all the time - that's what language
is for. Just because there's no popular idiom supporting the phrase 'reveal the
day' doesn't make it *wrong*, per se, any more than not speaking in cliches
makes a person's speech nonsensical.

And now to get really nitpicky:
to be grammatically accurate, the sig should have read

Manifesta diem
(singular imperative)

or

Manifestate diem
(plural imperative)

'reveal the day'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russell

BenjaminF

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
Yokes wrote:

> flocci non facio.
>
> laytre
> yokes.

citharoedus.

--
休 Alpha Omega

http://www.mindspring.com/~jhf

Patrick Alexander

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
CDMCC <cd...@aol.com.spamfry> wrote:

: ---------------------------------------------------

: The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
: certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
: -Bertrand Russell

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate inensity."
-William Butler Yeats

These two quote seem entirely too similar... JOOC, does anyone
know if there is any relation between them, other than the obvious
similarities?

Patrick Alexander

"Lover of the black and white - - - - - it's your first night.
The Passion Play / goes all the way / spoils your insight."

--Jethro Tull

BenjaminF

Apr 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/3/99
CDMCC wrote:

> >You do realize that 'manifesti diem' is nonsensical,
> > as there is no idiom or phrase 'reveal (or make
> > known) today' in latin. The phrase would be 'carpe
> > diem' which means 'seize today'
>
> Well, if you want to get nitpicky about Latin... <g>:
>
> 'Carpe diem' means 'seize THE day', since 'today' is 'hodiernus dies'

Right.

> And, incidentally, new phrases can be made all the time - that's what language
> is for. Just because there's no popular idiom supporting the phrase 'reveal the
> day' doesn't make it *wrong*, per se, any more than not speaking in cliches
> makes a person's speech nonsensical.

Right.

> And now to get really nitpicky:
> to be grammatically accurate, the sig should have read
>
> Manifesta diem
> (singular imperative)
>
> or
>
> Manifestate diem
> (plural imperative)

<g>

> 'reveal the day'

I'm growing partial to 'Fabricate the day'

--
休 Alpha Omega
What are the odds of Fabio getting hit in the face with a goose?

Trevor Hartsell

Apr 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/5/99
MOECHAMOBILVS

--