Downward Spiral Demo...

dEvIN tUfFy

Feb 12, 1994, 11:15:16 AM2/12/94

Last night upon entering my school's radio station, a friend informed me that
they had recieved a demo for _Downward Spiral_... A little bit later the music
director came in and we convinced him to let us have a listen. It was 6 songs
on tape, although 3 were remixes, leaving 3 new songs. We gave it a listen...

Well, it was a bit of a letdown.

The first song (and its two subsequent remixes), March of the Pigs, was basically
"Wish" with a bit of "Last" thrown in, as well as a few brief piano bits (where
the rest of the music stops and there's a little piano riff and Trent says a
line). But it's basically Wish redone!! Didn't someone say he was going to
have a "new sound"?

Then therer was the 8:39 minute "Reptilian", and a 7:30 or so remix of it.
This was kind of boring. It was mostly slow with "Something i can never have"
type vocals. It picked up a bit later inm the song, and that was kind of cool,
but it was just too long and boring for the most part.

And then there was "The Violet Fluid". This was good. Unforteonately it was
only 1:03 long. But at least its a GOOD minutes and three seconds.

Anyway, I don't know if this is representative of the whole album, but if so,
well, I don't know if I'll be buying this one...

--
killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkil
Devin Tuffy, RPI CSCI Major with an attitude /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"You Need Sex So We Provided the Girls!" -Negativland (sampled by, at least)

God

Feb 12, 1994, 1:18:29 PM2/12/94
Once upon a time, tuf...@vccsouth21.its.rpi.edu (dEvIN tUfFy) wrote:

>Last night upon entering my school's radio station, a friend informed me that
>they had recieved a demo for _Downward Spiral_... A little bit later the music
>director came in and we convinced him to let us have a listen. It was 6 songs
>on tape, although 3 were remixes, leaving 3 new songs. We gave it a listen...
>
>Well, it was a bit of a letdown.
>

> *** Yet more stuff deleted ***

Well, I was that friend, and I also heard the demo. Now I agree with a bit
of what Devin said (sounds like Wish, remixes, etc..) but I also must say
that it was nice to hear Trent again. The new songs that I heard are very,
as I described them before, "Drummy". There's a lot of drums (how much
drums? A LOT) and a lot of "sampled noise sounds" and not too much
guitar. But I think it will grow on me.
You can't really judge music over internet. You have to listen to
it for yourself. And when I hear more of the album, I'll probably buy it.
Because it is NIN, and even if it's different, or the same, it will be a new
experience for me, and that is what good music is al about.
Besides, Trent Reznor kicks ass...

-GOD

--

"And somewhere he was laughing, in a white painted loft, distant
fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face."

Technology exists solely to be abused.

CO-ED NAKED POLITICS:
"If it's good enough for the Kennedys, It's good enough for me!"