surprise show at the odeon 12/28

Susan Roston

Dec 31, 1994, 7:18:58 AM12/31/94
From: sro...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Susan Roston)
Date: 31 Dec 1994 18:18:58 GMT

hell of a story there tom. thanks.

--michael roston--tarnished golden boy--

| via: UTI Systems BBS (815) 942-2930 Welcome my son, to the machine. |

tj milian

Dec 31, 1994, 6:11:39 AM12/31/94

i've been drowning in these posts, but i haven't seen a review of the surprise
show at the odeon in cleveland so i figured i'd share my experiences...

i called a friend in cleveland wednesday morning, and he told me about the
surprise show planned for that night. he'd heard from his friend at interscope.
i finally got to leave work and drive to cleveland. when i got there, i found
out that the show had already been announced to the public and sold out
(600 person capacity) in 20 minutes. my friend was supposed to get us tickets,
but they didn't sell tickets. you just paid $5 and walked in (yes, five bucks!)

we got on the guest list, but my friend didn't have his i.d. so they wouldn't
let us in, since we were listed under his name. pissed off, we went around the
back to listen to the music. i saw 2 guys coming down from the roof...they
said you could see the band through a curtain....so i climbed up there, and
sure enough, there were a couple broken windows...and if you lifted the
curtain you could see everything.

after hearing incredible versions of burn and eraser, i decided to see if i
could fit through the window to get in (which was pretty crazy since it was a
good drop down to the ground inside). i ended up sitting on a steel beam in
the rafters for a good part of the show. i was right above the stage, which
is easily the smallest stage trent's played on in a while. no moat in front of
the pit. stage diving. the works. the lighting was amazingly bright...

all of a sudden a bunch of security guards began to notice me. they started
pointing and shining their flashlights up at me. security people were
behind me on the roof, lifting the curtain, shining their flashlights in,
so i jumped down and somehow managed to land on a 2x4 which looked to be
the sturdiest part of a flimsy structure which turned out to be the previously
damaged ceiling of the dressing room. i was about to jump down onto a speaker
to get down to the pit, but somebody pulled me from behind by the hood of my
coat...one of nin's roadies! he yanked me off the dressing room, and i was
hanging by my hood for a seconds until he let go...boom....down to the ground.
as i got up, robin finck was yelling at me, going crazy on the guitar just
inches in front of me. i almost landed on him! trent wasn't more than a couple
feet away, either. i couldn't believe i was on stage! if any of you were
there, you probably saw it. needless to say, security grabbed me and kicked
my ass outta there.

oh, but it gets better...i got inside a second time during the encore, and one
of the security guards recognized me..."that's him! he's the guy!!"
6 or 7 security guards and police officers jumped on me, threw me against a
wall in a back room..."hands up! spread your legs! w i d e r ! ! !"

they thought i'd stolen stuff that was found to be missing from the dressing
rooms (which i didn't do). the stolen things included a guitar, tires (don't
ask me why), and something else i don't remember.

the cops were assholes...i'm sure they could lose their jobs for some of the
things they said to me...it wasn't fun...i got the 3rd degree for over
20 minutes...being blinded by flashlights in my face (just like in the
movies)...it sucked

after they finally let me go, my friends and i went to the after-show party at
trilogy. we were definitely on the guest list for the v.i.p. room where the
bands usually stay. so we walk in, and as the bouncer lets us in, the same cop
that had threatened to beat the shit out of me less than an hour before
appeared in front of me...and he wasn't about to let me in . . . motherfucker!!

...and that was it...

sorry you had to listen to my big time hard line bad luck fist fuck
i'd write about the dayton show last night, but i'm too damn tired.

-tj
ninininininininininininininininininininininininininininininin
i mili...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu i
ninininininininininininininininininininininininininininininin

Susan Roston

Dec 31, 1994, 1:18:58 PM12/31/94

Chp N Chic

Jan 1, 1995, 9:24:08 PM1/1/95
Are all of you people blind or just ignorant, the reason Trent did he show
was because the only consistent touring member of the band, James Wooley,
left the band, and the show was basically a giant rehersal for the band
without James.

Open your eyes people

Susan Roston

Jan 1, 1995, 9:24:55 PM1/1/95
In article <3e7o48$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

and did anyone tell us this?? sorry, I don't follow the band around and count
how many ounces of shit they have dropped in their tour bus toilet so I can
see that if there is a certain amount missing, someone must not have been on
the bus. I had heard that trent had dicked over james on another account, but
that's all.

can you learn to be informative without being a little hobgoblin?? we'd
appreciate you more. thanks.

--michael roston--tarnished golden boy--

tj milian

Jan 2, 1995, 5:19:00 AM1/2/95
In article <3e7o48$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> chpn...@aol.com (Chp N Chic) writes:
>From: chpn...@aol.com (Chp N Chic)

>Are all of you people blind or just ignorant,

the blind have been blessed with security

>the reason Trent did he show
>was because the only consistent touring member of the band, James Wooley,
>left the band, and the show was basically a giant rehersal for the band
>without James.

yes, james is apparently gone. he didn't play in cleveland (12/28)
or dayton (12/29). at first, i couldn't tell if the keyboardist was woolley
with his hair cut (as short as robin's) or someone new.

the 12/28 "surprise" show wasn't really a spontaneous thing
it had been planned weeks before, but kept a secret
it was originally planned to be for "industry people" only

>Open your eyes people

don't open your eyes...take it from me....

MC Death

Jan 2, 1995, 10:33:00 PM1/2/95
On 2 Jan 1995, Michael Roston wrote:

> Chips N Dips <chpn...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Are all of you people blind or just ignorant, the reason Trent did he show
> >was because the only consistent touring member of the band, James Wooley,
> >left the band, and the show was basically a giant rehersal for the band
> >without James.
>
> and did anyone tell us this?? sorry, I don't follow the band around and count
> how many ounces of shit they have dropped in their tour bus toilet so I can
> see that if there is a certain amount missing, someone must not have been on
> the bus. I had heard that trent had dicked over james on another account, but
> that's all.
>
> can you learn to be informative without being a little hobgoblin??

* Okay, fellow a.m.ninnies--NEW a.m.nin RULE (#1) FOR 1995:

Anyone who posts earthbreaking, informative NIN info before
anyone else reserves the right to be totally rude to other a.m.ninnies,
because they are deemed as "unobservant" (kinda corollary to
"closer-phuck" bashing, but that's another rule...)...

By end of the school year, we will have enough rules and shit to rival
the U.S.Constitution...

Mr LipSync

Jan 6, 1995, 1:57:35 AM1/6/95
I have a feeling the original person was probably a friend of either James
or Trent