So the new single's playing, and . . .

Matthew M. Nordan

Feb 25, 1994, 5:34:53 PM2/25/94

. . . and it's weird.

From the advance word i'd read on this newsgroup, i expected "March of the
Pigs" to be a carbon copy of "Wish"--it's not. The odd time signature
took a few listenings to get used to (is it 7/4?) but i expected that
after _Broken_. The piano breaks at first seemed cheesy, and still do to
some extent--i think they would be more relevant to me if i understood the
lyrics enough to know what the song was really about.

"Reptilian" is ridiculously long but not at all boring. If i understand
it right, track 1 is the original "March of the Pigs", 3 is a remix of
said song, and 2, 4, and 5 are all reconstructions of "Reptile", which i
am now dying to hear the original of.

BTW, did anybody else get any nifty promo items from their local record
store? There was a nice stack of postcards (no lie) with the _DS_ NiN
logo and the words "nin inch nails: the downward spiral" on the front,
which i judiciously grabbed a couple of.

--
Matthew M. Nordan OOO OOO Allan Aguirre, where are you?
mno...@minerva.cis.yale.edu OOOOOOO

Shepherd B Kendall

Feb 25, 1994, 9:41:45 PM2/25/94

> .. . . and it's weird.

Agreed.

> From the advance word i'd read on this newsgroup, i expected "March of the
> Pigs" to be a carbon copy of "Wish"--it's not.

Agreed, again. People, "Wish" is a heckuvalot more structured and, in my opinion, a
bit harder.

> The odd time signature
> took a few listenings to get used to (is it 7/4?) but i expected that
> after _Broken_. The piano breaks at first seemed cheesy, and still do to
> some extent--i think they would be more relevant to me if i understood the
> lyrics enough to know what the song was really about.

I think the piano breaks are quite refreshing. I couldn't hear the song ending in any
other way, except the way it has been recorded.

> "Reptilian" is ridiculously long but not at all boring. If i understand
> it right, track 1 is the original "March of the Pigs", 3 is a remix of
> said song, and 2, 4, and 5 are all reconstructions of "Reptile", which i
> am now dying to hear the original of.

I have your back completely on this. The 8 minute, some-odd second "Reptilian" is
nothing but an auditory assault; this is not a bad thing, but rather a very pleasantly
enjoyable experience. I tried counting the number of different sounds Trent uses in
this particular track, and couldn't. . .Still, the man has a tremendous sense for
what I like to call "sound movement" (I guess they call that rhythm, right?). . .

> BTW, did anybody else get any nifty promo items from their local record
> store? There was a nice stack of postcards (no lie) with the _DS_ NiN
> logo and the words "nin inch nails: the downward spiral" on the front,
> which i judiciously grabbed a couple of.

So, write me a letter already and send me one. Sound Familiar is having some kind of
"Midnight Madness" type deal on March 7th for DS. . .Giving away wall-size posters,
etc. If I don't win one, I'm going to buy one.

The single has restored my faith in Trent, though. You guys spread too many rumors. Cut it out.

Patiently awaiting _The_Downward_Spiral_ and any paraphanelia (you spell it your way,
I'll spell it mine) that may accompany it's release. . .
Ha.

Nathaniel D. Daw

Feb 28, 1994, 12:51:41 PM2/28/94
In article <1994Feb25.2...@news.yale.edu>,

Matthew M. Nordan <mno...@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:
>From the advance word i'd read on this newsgroup, i expected "March of the
>Pigs" to be a carbon copy of "Wish"--it's not. The odd time signature
>took a few listenings to get used to (is it 7/4?)

7/8. 7/8 ... 7/8? There hasn't been a pop song in 7/8 since ... since ...
since ... Pink Floyd's "Money." The conspiracy continues...

I think it's in 7/8 anyway; it's so fast that it's hard to count. The remix is
definitely in 4/4 though, even though they pull the "Shore-Lined Poison" trick
of dropping the snare at the end of the measure to make it sound like a beat
skips.

/ sit around the house, stare at the walls nathaniel daw /
/ stare at each other and wait till we die nd...@columbia.edu /

Flipper The Dolphin

Feb 28, 1994, 2:26:10 PM2/28/94
Pink Floyd's Money isn't in 7/8 - A demo of 7/8 would be the beginning
of Rush's "Subdivisions"... it counts as follows (I'm a drummer)

1234 1234 1234 12
1234 1234 1234 12

Etc... normal 4/4 songs go

1234 1234 1234 1234
1234 1234 1234 1234

It makes it a bit of a bitch, but oh well. Money, I believe is in 7/4.

- Flip

Jon Anhold

Feb 28, 1994, 2:37:11 PM2/28/94
In article <2ktavd$q...@apakabar.cc.columbia.edu>,

Nathaniel D. Daw <nd...@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu> wrote:

>7/8. 7/8 ... 7/8? There hasn't been a pop song in 7/8 since ... since ...
>since ... Pink Floyd's "Money." The conspiracy continues...

Well, on Yes' album 90125, the song _Changes_ goes from 2 bars of 7/8
to a bar of 10/8... pretty cool.

-j

--
Jon Anhold N8USK (jgan...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
MAGNUS Consultant Academic Computing Services

Jon Anhold

Feb 28, 1994, 4:52:16 PM2/28/94
In article <2ktggi$o...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Flipper The Dolphin <tal...@ccat.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:
>Pink Floyd's Money isn't in 7/8 - A demo of 7/8 would be the beginning
>of Rush's "Subdivisions"... it counts as follows (I'm a drummer)
>
>1234 1234 1234 12
>1234 1234 1234 12

1234 123 would be 7/8..

>Etc... normal 4/4 songs go
>
>1234 1234 1234 1234
>1234 1234 1234 1234
>
>It makes it a bit of a bitch, but oh well. Money, I believe is in 7/4.

7/4... hmm. it would count the same, just be written differently... i
can't even think why anyone would want to write something in 7/4 as
opposed to 7/8...

-j

--
Jon Anhold N8USK (jgan...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)

"Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going was never
there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it."
- Ministry

Jon Anhold

Feb 28, 1994, 5:00:50 PM2/28/94
In article <2ktp2g$5...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
Jon Anhold <jgan...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

Hmm.. let me correct some of this...

>1234 123 would be 7/8..

Actually, 7/8 would be 12 12 123 or 123 12 12...i guess that could be
what I originally said too... :)

>7/4... hmm. it would count the same, just be written differently... i
>can't even think why anyone would want to write something in 7/4 as
>opposed to 7/8...

I guess that's not totally true... it would just be written with the
quarter note getting the beat... still, I don't think I've ever
seen/heard music written in 7/4... 5/4 yes, 7/4.. don't think so...

(9/8 is cool too.. 12 12 12 123 or a few variations..
like 12 123 12 12 etc..)

yksehtnipudogon

Mar 1, 1994, 4:24:28 AM3/1/94
march of teh pigs is a 15 beat
<yksehtnipudogon>
>make me seethe <

I Hate Spiders

Mar 1, 1994, 4:28:20 PM3/1/94

well, as a sort of aside, Primus's song _Eleven_ is written in 11/4.
bot that that answeres questions about _7/4_, but you know.

-kabir ------------------------
gotta find a destination
just one fix

-ministry

Mau Mau the Wild Yak

Mar 1, 1994, 5:01:43 PM3/1/94
: 7/8. 7/8 ... 7/8? There hasn't been a pop song in 7/8 since ... since ...

: since ... Pink Floyd's "Money." The conspiracy continues...

: I think it's in 7/8 anyway; it's so fast that it's hard to count. The remix is
: definitely in 4/4 though, even though they pull the "Shore-Lined Poison" trick
: of dropping the snare at the end of the measure to make it sound like a beat
: skips.

If you can count fast enough, and apparently my drummer can, the song is
in 15/8 or 15/16. We're not sure which. Anyway, there are 15 beats to
some number of counts.

Re: 7/4 - Yes there are songs written in this meter. Check out some of
Rush's earlier stuff. They did a complete song in 7/4, I just can't
remember which one.

--
Roger Weeks --->>> Internet: sme...@xmission.com Prodigy: AMJP60A
"Something must be done about vengeance, a badge, and a gun"

Flipper The Dolphin

Mar 1, 1994, 7:49:40 PM3/1/94
In article <2ktp2g$5...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jgan...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jon Anhold) writes:
>In article <2ktggi$o...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Ah, the subtleties of being a drummer - count the 16th notes, that's how
drummers usually count - the hi hat hits. Listen to Rush's subdivisions,
and follow the chart I wrote below.

- Flip

Daniel Takeo Arai

Mar 1, 1994, 11:45:18 PM3/1/94
In article <2ktpii$5...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,

>I guess that's not totally true... it would just be written with the
>quarter note getting the beat... still, I don't think I've ever
>seen/heard music written in 7/4... 5/4 yes, 7/4.. don't think so...
>(9/8 is cool too.. 12 12 12 123 or a few variations..
>like 12 123 12 12 etc..)

I've played stuff in 7/4 (I'm a cellist, so this is classical/full orchestra
stuff, not rock guitar/drums/bass/keyboard stuff.) Greensleves, I think
it was so it does happen.

Wouldn't 9/8 normally be 123 123 123? Like 6/8? Hmm...

Dan.
--
Daniel Arai | "If money disappeared, so would fear, anxiety
dan...@leland.stanford.edu | worry, toil, and sleepless nights."

Jon Anhold

Mar 2, 1994, 1:20:57 AM3/2/94
In article <2l15ku$h...@nntp2.stanford.edu>,

Daniel Takeo Arai <dan...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>I've played stuff in 7/4 (I'm a cellist, so this is classical/full orchestra
>stuff, not rock guitar/drums/bass/keyboard stuff.) Greensleves, I think
>it was so it does happen.
>
>Wouldn't 9/8 normally be 123 123 123? Like 6/8? Hmm...

well, if you played it straight it would be 123 123 123, but most
stuff I've seen in 9/8 is funky jazz stuff that counts:
12 12 12 123 or 12 123 12 12, etc..

there are endless variations... :)

-j

--
Jon Anhold N8USK (jgan...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
"Where you come from is gone. Where you thought you were going was never
there, and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it."

- Blue Velvet