Montreal Concert Review

Grant Gayed

Jan 4, 1995, 3:09:29 PM1/4/95
inferno wrote:
> reaction was only slightly more enthusiastic (which isn't saying much because they were
> comatose before). The people on the floor were actually dancing/jumping around. Crowd
> surfing was kept to a minimum. However, the stands were another story. NO ONE was

I actually appreciated the relatively calm crowd... I don't know what
the Maple Leaf Gardens crowd was like, but the people at the Molson
Park show in Barrie this summer were REALLY pissing me off (having four people
dropped on you during a song like "Something I Can Never Have" is a
bit ridiculous). It was nice getting close without acquiring major injuries.
Random comment: The Forum sure is a cozy place. Think I'll
have to see a hockey game there, if there ever is one...

> By the way, we waited to see Trent after the show, froze our butts & other body parts off in
> the process and did manage to get him to sign our disc jackets...wow! We may be missing
> some limbs for the rest of our lives but at least we saw him in the flesh. It was definitely
> worth it. :)

Must be nice! Wish I'd known where to find him afterwards... of
course I would've ended up missing the last bus to Ottawa, and would
have ended up spending the night in a bank machine or hotel stairwell.
May have been worth it though...
BTW: It wasn't THAT cold, was it? TTYL...

NIN Don'tOpenYourEyesYouWon'tLikeWhatYouSee NIN HappinessItControlsYou NIN
Grant Gayed @ Carleton University, Ottawa | gga...@chat.carleton.ca

John Macdonald

Jan 4, 1995, 5:17:07 PM1/4/95
i found pop will eat itself boring.
i was glad that they were only on for 30 minutes.
the jim rose circus was much more entertaining.

as soon as the music started for the nin show,
i tapped my buddy on the shoulder and waved goodbye.
it was the last i saw of him until the end of the show.

why would you go to a concert like nin in the
stands? it makes no sense to me.

i loved it when robin would throw water on the crowd.
very refreshing.

this is just a little side bit directed towards reznor.
a friend of mine was right up front and wanted to get
trents attention, and so was everyone else.
but my friend decided not to wave his arms madly about,
but instead he gave trent the finger for about a minute.
we arent quite sure, but we think he saw it, and wasnt too
impressed, my friend said he got an incredibly evil look
in return for his gesture.
i would appreciate a confirmation of this account.

i thought i was going to shit myself laughing
when trent waffled one of the guys(i dont remember his name
but it is the same guy he tramples in the video for march
of the pigs.) anyhow, he runs the poor guy right over,
and as trent is turning around, he almost landed flat
on his ass. then the other guy gets up and beats the shit out
of his keyboard.

bye

"What luck for rulers
that men do not think."
Adolf Hitler

Amy Harris

Jan 4, 1995, 8:59:31 PM1/4/95
jmac...@chat.carleton.ca (John Macdonald) writes:

>why would you go to a concert like nin in the
>stands? it makes no sense to me.

Because not everyone is lucky enough to get floor seats? Just a guess.

Amy

Elana

Jan 4, 1995, 8:41:53 PM1/4/95
jmac...@chat.carleton.ca (John Macdonald) i

>i loved it when robin would throw water on the crowd.
>very refreshing.

Robin rules. He's such a specimen of humanity. Nice looking, nice to hang
with, and apparently funny as all fuck.

>this is just a little side bit directed towards reznor.
>a friend of mine was right up front and wanted to get
>trents attention, and so was everyone else.
>but my friend decided not to wave his arms madly about,
>but instead he gave trent the finger for about a minute.
>we arent quite sure, but we think he saw it, and wasnt too
>impressed, my friend said he got an incredibly evil look
>in return for his gesture.
>i would appreciate a confirmation of this account.

Well, the first time I gave Trent the finger, he looked at me, smiled, then
broke out laughing. (It was during something I can whine about)
the second time I did it, it was at the second leg show and I fingered (heh)
him during "motp" and he gave me a shitty look and we were screaming "MIKEY!"
at him and he'd get this really weird look on his face, like "what the bloody
FUCK?!?!?"
Heh.
So, yeah. I think he doesn't find it funny anymore. I dunno. I spose I'm the
person that ruined it for him.
Heh./ Just call me the ruiner.
Love,
the piggyfucker

--
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
mother is the name for god on the lips and hearts of all children. -- The Crow
gonna smash myself to pieces gonna fuck myself up i am sifting through the
ashes of what i have become i gave myself away now i'm nothing--Trent Reznor
Elana, akak piggyfucker, aka prowess, as always arm...@netcom.com
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

inferno

Jan 4, 1995, 3:08:04 AM1/4/95
Well, after standing out in -15 degree Celsuis weather for about 1 hour...here is our
concert review of the Montreal show...

As you all know by now, PWEI did open for NIN. They put on an AMAZING show!
It was great. They played mostly material from the new album. Very good stuff...Highly
recommended if you don't already have it. Clint is a TERRIFIC dancer. Highly energetic
and flexible. They did play a couple of old songs but unfortunately, they didn't play
Defcon 1 :( They have ZERO recognition here in Montreal. We went to see them do an
interview at Musique Plus (Quebec's music video station) and we were the only 2 people
waiting for the chance to speak to them. During the concert, NO ONE was dancing, not
even the people on the floor. It was like an episode of the "Twilight Zone". We were
probably the only 2 people in the whole arena that were getting into it. Later, Clint & co.
walked into the crowd and got no recognition at all.

The setlist for NIN was same as the second leg of the tour (with the movie). The sound
quality was really good, better than the Maple Leaf Gardens (Toronto) show. The crowd's

reaction was only slightly more enthusiastic (which isn't saying much because they were
comatose before). The people on the floor were actually dancing/jumping around. Crowd
surfing was kept to a minimum. However, the stands were another story. NO ONE was

dancing or even standing except for the two of us, literally. Very late into the show, there
were a few more people that stood up and danced but we probably could count all of them
on our fingers. No major temper tantrums from Trent (unlike the Toronto show) but we think
it's because he probably sensed the lukewarm reception. Don't think he'll be coming back
ever again, Montreal that is.

By the way, we waited to see Trent after the show, froze our butts & other body parts off in
the process and did manage to get him to sign our disc jackets...wow! We may be missing
some limbs for the rest of our lives but at least we saw him in the flesh. It was definitely
worth it. :)

Still in awe...

Louise & Cathy.

P.S. Robin is playing more guitar 'solos' these days....a good thing or bad thing? ;-)
But his vocals are definitely improving...and his hair is looking pretty good nowadays.
(Note the following is Cathy's opinion: liked the fishnets, Robin!! BTW was he wearing
the sausage casing shorts on top or underneath his fishnets?)

Vello Tou

Jan 5, 1995, 2:11:00 PM1/5/95
GG+I actually appreciated the relatively calm crowd... I don't know what
+the Maple Leaf Gardens crowd was like, but the people at the Molson
+Park show in Barrie this summer were REALLY pissing me off (having four peop
+dropped on you during a song like "Something I Can Never Have" is a
+bit ridiculous). It was nice getting close without acquiring major injuries
+ Random comment: The Forum sure is a cozy place. Think I'll
+have to see a hockey game there, if there ever is one...

The Maple Leaf Gardens show was rather calm. It seemed that a few high
schoolers just went there for the mosh pit, not knowing any of the
songs, but everyone else was there, and hyped up tosee a great show.
BTW, I had the pleasure of seeing both Trent on the stage pretty close
to the front, as well as standing inches away from Scott Thompson of
Kids in the Hall...;)

Scarecrow
vell...@canrem.com Mississauga Ontario Canada, CRS Online Toronto

* 1st 1.11 #2615 * You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.

88_...@industry.org

Jan 8, 1995, 3:20:04 AM1/8/95

IA>jmac...@chat.carleton.ca (John Macdonald) writes:

IA>>why would you go to a concert like nin in the
IA>>stands? it makes no sense to me.

IA>Because not everyone is lucky enough to get floor seats? Just a guess.

IA>Amy

I'm one of those guys that broke the rows down at the palace just to
mosh.

--
Origin: (I)ndustry BBS -----> New Baltimore, MI (810)/949-0109 16 Lines

E-mail replies to this user should have the following on the first line
of message text: TO: 88 Mac