Groups influenced by New Order

Sean Ercanbrack

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about maybe you have been
wondering about these things too:

*Aside from the Happy Mondays and theStereo MC's, can anyone think of any
other bands influenced by New Order? Also,

*Was 808 State influenced by New Order, or did Barney just sing Spanish
Heart with them?

*I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
influenced?

*Aside from Gillian and Steve Morris working with America's Most Wanted,
and Hooky working with his wife's talk show, does anyone know of any
other projects that members of the band have worked on?

*Aside from Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Kraftwork, and the Sex Pistols, are
there any other groups that have influenced the band?

* Does anyone have any additional information about The Stiff Kittens?
Didn't Warsaw get announced under the name and changed from The Stiff
Kittens to Warsaw, just as they got on stage to play?

* Where did the rumors about Hooky and Monaco start from? Was there any
documentable proof that he actually said anything about it? Was it in an
article or on tv or something?

ANYONE KNOW ANY ADDITIONAL DETAILS?????
(This might be fun to talk about. Heh heh heh...)

- SEAN ERCANBRACK CYW...@prodigy.com (Fall Seven, Arise Eight --
Korean proverb)

Stiff Kittens * Warsaw * Joy Division * New Order * Revenge * Electronic
* The Other Two & You
*and now Monaco--- Hopefully (The Ultimate Fan <---
One of them anyway...)

Aaron E. Chang

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

>*I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
>but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
>influenced?

The lead singer of Anything Box (Claude Strilio) has said that Joy
Division has been his single greatest musical influence, which seems a
bit strange at first as JD and AB sound absolutely NOTHING alike.
However, if you look close enough, you can find interesting JD
references in Claude S's songwriting, such as :

"Come away... in silence" from "Come Away" off of Worth (perhaps a
reference to Atmosphere - "Don't walk away... in silence")

The refreshing synth song "Decades" (from Worth) which could be AB's
own take on the JD song of the same name.

The song "Soul on Fire" off of the Peace album. In this song, Claude
S. repeatedly sings "My heart is on fire... my soul will burn" --
which seems alarmingly similar to JD's Heart and Soul ("Heart and
soul... one will burn").

Steve Ball

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

> The lead singer of Anything Box (Claude Strilio) has said that Joy
> Division has been his single greatest musical influence, which seems a
> bit strange at first as JD and AB sound absolutely NOTHING alike.
> However, if you look close enough, you can find interesting JD
> references in Claude S's songwriting, such as :

Look no further. He covered "Love Will Tear Us Apart" on his solo project
The Diary. He also mentioned that Peter Seville's artwork has influenced
his own paintings. (He does most of ABox's artwork.)

--Steve

AEJ

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

(Sean Ercanbrack) writes:

>Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about maybe you have been
>wondering about these things too:
>*Aside from the Happy Mondays and theStereo MC's, can anyone think of any
>other bands influenced by New Order? Also,

I know that Hooky had a lot to do with the Stone Roses first single but I'm
not sure how much NO was an influence per se. Many recent (mostly synth-pop)
bands have cited NO as a big influence but I'm not sure if NO had any
involvement with them (i.e. Secession, Cetu Javu, Camouflage...)

>*Was 808 State influenced by New Order, or did Barney just sing Spanish
>Heart with them?

I know that they often consulted many bands to explore new
sounds/equipment/methods and often has guest vocalists, but influence ? I;m
not so sure.

>*I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
>but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
>influenced?

Defintely. Robert Smith (the Cure) has said (on more than one occassion)
that Closer is his favorite album of all time. Ian McCullogh (E&TB) has also
cited JD as his biggest influence in the early days. Question is are these
Gothic bands. Many would argue not.

>*Aside from Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Kraftwork, and the Sex Pistols, are
>there any other groups that have influenced the band?

The Velvet Underground.

That all my brain can offer today.

Later.

Peace, love & NewOrder

AEJ ajo...@mustang.uwo.ca

Thbt

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

> *I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
> but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
> influenced?

U2. They aren't a goth band though..

Tim Barnes

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Sean Ercanbrack (CYW...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about maybe you have been
: wondering about these things too:

: *Aside from the Happy Mondays and theStereo MC's, can anyone think of any
: other bands influenced by New Order? Also,

Pet Shop Boys, on the New Order Story Neil Tennant's pretty clear about
this 'Blue Monday was just what we had been trying to do' was what he
said, and then of course couldn't decide which NO song was his favourite,
I know that feeling.

: *Was 808 State influenced by New Order, or did Barney just sing Spanish
: Heart with them?

I guess they must've been a bit, coming from Manc, not majorly though
I don't think.

: *I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,

: but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
: influenced?

Name me one that wasn't!

: *Aside from Gillian and Steve Morris working with America's Most Wanted,
: and Hooky working with his wife's talk show, does anyone know of any
: other projects that members of the band have worked on?

The Other Two have done loads of other TV stuff, their remix of Vanishing
Point for Making Out is my favourite. The web site's got loads of details
(sorry can't find the URL right now).

: *Aside from Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Kraftwork, and the Sex Pistols, are

: there any other groups that have influenced the band?

I think the Pistols were more of an inspiration than an influence, Velvet
Underground are probably the main one anyway. Otherwise I think Bernard's
mentioned some 70's disco bands, although he might've been taking the piss.

cheers,
--
Tim Barnes | Dept. of Mathematics,
Tim.B...@bristol.ac.uk | University Walk,

Vesa Indrén

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

newo...@mail.utexas.edu (Aaron E. Chang) wrote:
>>*I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
>>but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
>>influenced?
If you've heard the latest Manic Street Preachers album and track number
10 (can't remember the name) there is a very new order sounding part in
it. Just like Hook playing bass...

Vesa

Matthew Bruns

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Sean Ercanbrack (CYW...@prodigy.com) wrote:

: *Aside from Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Kraftwork, and the Sex Pistols, are
: there any other groups that have influenced the band?

Chic & Sylvester pop into mind. The first is mainly an influence on
Barney's guitar playing, and if I remember correctly the second gets
noted as a Blue Monday influence...

Bill Pearis

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Unrest had some New Orderisms and when they broke up, Mark & Bridget
formed Air Miami, whose debut, ME ME ME, is about the most obviously New
Order influenced LP I have ever heard.

Otherwise, does anyone remember an Australian band called Boxcar? Iseem
to remember them sounding a lot like New Order.
--
Bill

Probascis

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

A group influenced by Joy Division...there is Dead Can Dance, they keep
quoting JD lyrics on everyone of their discs....

Simon Stuart

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

On 18 Jun 1996, Sean Ercanbrack wrote:

> Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about maybe you have been
> wondering about these things too:
>
> *Aside from the Happy Mondays and theStereo MC's, can anyone think of any
> other bands influenced by New Order?

Umm...The Wake, Section 25, Stockholm Monsters...hell, everyone on
Factory. Who else? Thousands, probably. Unfortunately, I can't think of
them all off hand.

Probably everybody, to be honest :-i~

Simon

simon....@ed.ac.uk

DANIEL TRISTAN ABEL

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <ajones1.12...@mustang.uwo.ca>, ajo...@mustang.uwo.ca (AEJ) writes:
: (Sean Ercanbrack) writes:
:
: >Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about maybe you have been

: >wondering about these things too:
: >*Aside from the Happy Mondays and theStereo MC's, can anyone think of any

: >other bands influenced by New Order? Also,

:
: I know that Hooky had a lot to do with the Stone Roses first single but I'm
: not sure how much NO was an influence per se. Many recent (mostly synth-pop)
: bands have cited NO as a big influence but I'm not sure if NO had any
: involvement with them (i.e. Secession, Cetu Javu, Camouflage...)

Sub-sub stated they wanted to be like new order when they had thier hits a few
years ago

dan

Sam Khater

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Boxcar sounds a lot like New Order. Other bands include Anything Box
and Beloved. Although neither sounds like them that much, they have
both stated that JD (for Anything Box) and NO (for Beloved) have had a
big influence on them.

Sam

Scott Kozicki

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

I would think that ART probably inspired them more than other music. It
seems that they were more intrigued with artists that were not
musicians.

Scott Kozicki
<SKoz...@BlueStar.net>

John Nguyen Van

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Yeah, Unrest dedicated their _Isabel Bishop_ EP to a certain
messrs. Wilson, Erasmus,Hannett, and Gretton of a certain
Factory label. They also covered a Crispy Ambulance song
on that "Factory Record" 7".

Also, Versus are another band that a bit like the indie-rock
side of New Order. Fast strummed guitars, melodic basslines,
sort of dreamy vocals. They're (were?) on the same label as Unrest:
Teenbeat.

Has anyone heard the Ropers? They're on Slumberland and are like
a noisier-sounding, lo-fi New Order.

Bill Pearis (bi...@xworld.com) wrote:
: Unrest had some New Orderisms and when they broke up, Mark & Bridget

DarkHorse

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Funny you should mention Boxcar, they must have been the most brazen of
the NewOrder clones. The original mixes of their early stuff is a clean
rip-off, although to be honest some of it wasn't that bad.

They still hold a lot of weight on the scene over here, but they've since
progressed to a stricter-techno outfit with the help of Justin Robertson.

Tsirbas Christos

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Speaking of brazen clones... nobody has mentionned the Cure.... and their
pretty blatanly New Order/Joy Division grooves... (especially the guitar work).

Chris Tsirbas

Alex Kennedy

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Vesa Indrén wrote:
> If you've heard the latest Manic Street Preachers album and track number
> 10 (can't remember the name) there is a very new order sounding part in
> it. Just like Hook playing bass...
>
> Vesa

I read an article in Vox about the Manics, and on this track they deliberately used
a New Order influenced bass line.

Btw, "Every thing must go" is a fantastic album - the best this year (so far...).

Alex

AEJ

Jun 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/22/96

Tsirbas Christos writes:

>Speaking of brazen clones... nobody has mentionned the Cure.... and their
>pretty blatanly New Order/Joy Division grooves... (especially the guitar work).

I did.

Just needed to say that.

Karl Schmidt

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

CYW...@prodigy.com (Sean Ercanbrack) wrote:

>*Was 808 State influenced by New Order, or did Barney just sing Spanish
>Heart with them?

I read somewhere that New Order were cited as an influence by the
band. This qualifies as hearsay, I might add.

>*I suppose numerous gothic bands have been influenced by Joy Division,
>but does anyone know of any names of bands that admittedly have been
>influenced?

Trent Reznor seemed pretty intent on kissing Joy Division's behind a
while ago, it seems. He did a (flat lousy) cover of "Dead Souls" for
the soundtrack to "The Crow", and let's not forget the title of his
big hit. . .

>* Does anyone have any additional information about The Stiff Kittens?
>Didn't Warsaw get announced under the name and changed from The Stiff
>Kittens to Warsaw, just as they got on stage to play?

I recall reading in some biography of the band that "the Stiff
Kittens" was just a way of referring to the band in the days before
they came up with the name Warsaw.

I know they changed to Joy Division because they didn't want to be
confused with Warsaw Pact, though.

INFI...@delphi.com

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

Xymox.
---
INFI...@delphi.com -- Infinite Books -- Want a book? We'll get it!

Sami Rainisto

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.

Vesa Indrén

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Sami.R...@Helsinki.Fi (Sami Rainisto) wrote:
>Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.

They're also a Beatles ripoff, but they (or should i say Ian Broudie)
have some really great songs.

Vesa

Matty Hayes

Jul 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/1/96

On 27 Jun 1996, Sami Rainisto wrote:

> Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.

Are you on drugs??

Sami Rainisto

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960701094419.32413A-100000@leofric>,
ccx...@coventry.ac.uk says...

>On 27 Jun 1996, Sami Rainisto wrote:
>
>> Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.
>
>Are you on drugs??

Of course I am (hell, who ISN'T?) but Lightning Seeds are still a
NewOrder ripoff. And so are the Pet Shop Boys (duh!). And so is Nirvana.
And Oasis. It's so OBVIOUS, isn't it?

James Chapchuk

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

Matty Hayes wrote:

> On 27 Jun 1996, Sami Rainisto wrote:
>
> > Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.
>
> Are you on drugs??
Actually, if you listen to cloudcuckooland, the lightning seeds directly
lift several bass lines from new order and they are blatantly obvious.

Matty Hayes

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

On 4 Jul 1996, Sami Rainisto wrote:

> In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960701094419.32413A-100000@leofric>,
> ccx...@coventry.ac.uk says...
> >

> >On 27 Jun 1996, Sami Rainisto wrote:
> >
> >> Lightning Seeds are a NewOrder ripoff.
> >
> >Are you on drugs??
>

> Of course I am (hell, who ISN'T?) but Lightning Seeds are still a
> NewOrder ripoff. And so are the Pet Shop Boys (duh!). And so is Nirvana.
> And Oasis. It's so OBVIOUS, isn't it?

NO IT ISNT ACTUALLY.
Well, if i listen to NO from the times when PSB started....I dont quite
think they sound anything like them. i.e Movement, PCL. So how you can say
they're a rip off is beyond me. You obviously didnt know what NO sounded
like back then.

Lightning Seeds....I happen to think there music sh*t hot and again does not
sound f**k all like NO

Nirvana..? I dont particularly like them, so cant really comment on that one,
but from what i have heard...still nothin' like NO

Oasis..... Need i go on??

Is anyone else out there gonna back me up??

Matty.

J.W. Anthony

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

I think many times people call other groups that use synths and keyboards
(such
as the Pet Shop Boys), rip-offs of New Order not (solely) because they
actually sound like them, but because some of the synth sound may be
similar. I think that
New Order are the best at what they do, and it's very easy to compare
other artist's work against theirs, even if the instances being compared
are very slight (as with "1979" by the Smashing Pumpkins). Whether the
artists or songs are considered rip-offs or not is determined by the
particular listener.

That said, I must also say that the Cure's "A Walk" bears a lot of
resemblance to "Blue Monday", too much to be passed for mere coincidence.
(As some of you
out there who I've traded hopefully can back me up on this).

And surely nobody can deny (if they've ever heard it), Divine's "Love
Reaction" is, without a doubt, as big of a rip-off as one could find.

Later,
J.W.

DShamen

Sep 20, 2023, 11:10:18 AM9/20/23
808 State were massively influenced by New Order and have done two acid house covers of Blue Monday and Confusion (they weren't great, but they were still learning).
Pet Shop Boys
The Beloved
Happy Mondays
The Chemical Brothers
Underworld
Anything Box
Orbital
Moby
The Stone Roses
Section 25
The Charlatans
Enigma
Stereo MCs
EMF
Hot Chip
Saint Etienne
The Killers
Book of Love
Boxcar
CHVRCHES
LCD Soundsystem
U2 (won't admit it nowadays I daresay, but Joy Division/early New Order were their prime influence)
Dubstar
A Certain Ratio
Republica

Just off the top of my head.