The Chameleons

Lawrence Cleenewerck

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
I've noticed that someone is signing with quotes from Chameleons - any fans out
there ? any WWW site of newsgroups ? any news from the band ?

?

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
In article <4kbger$c...@news.scruz.net>, Lawrence Cleenewerck
<lcleen...@compuserve.com> wrote:

Well, Lawrence,

I for one am a genuine Chameleons fan (as well as a JD/NO fan, of
coursevdvs vv)hly active newsgroup

fernando

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
In article <4kbger$c...@news.scruz.net>, Lawrence Cleenewerck
<lcleen...@compuserve.com> wrote:

~:I've noticed that someone is signing with quotes from Chameleons - any
fans out
~:there ? any WWW site of newsgroups ? any news from the band ?

I cannot find the info on web stuff.

later,

fernando

Here is the scoop about the mailing list:

This unmoderated list is intended for the discussion of any issues having
to do with the indefinitely hibernating band known as the Chameleons.
List members are invited to discuss anything remotely Chameleons-related.
Facts, opinions, shameless worship, it's all welcome.

Anonymous FTP access for the Chameleons mailing list is maintained on
paradiso.umuc.edu [131.171.20.30]. Files available include a complete
discography, lyric sheets, and archives of previous list postings.

If you have any questions about the list or the FTP archives you can send
them to the list manager, John Caruso (car...@paradiso.umuc.edu).

Further administrative requests regarding this list should be sent to:

Internet: chameleon...@paradiso.umuc.edu
BITNET: chameleons-request@UMUC
-or-
LISTSERV@UMUC

These commands are recognized by chameleon...@paradiso.umuc.edu:

SIGNOFF - to remove yourself from the list
REVIEW - to get a list of subscribers
QUERY - to get the status of your entry on the list
SET NOMAIL - to remain on the list but not receive mail
SET MAIL - to reverse the NOMAIL setting
SET CONCEAL - to conceal yourself from REVIEW listings
SET NOCONCEAL - to reverse the CONCEAL setting
SET NOREPRO - to prevent the list from sending you your own postings
SET REPRO - to reverse the NOREPRO setting
LIST - to get a list of mailing lists available on this host
HELP - to receive a help file

The syntax of these commands for use with the LISTSERV (BITNET) address is:

SIGNOFF CHAMELEONS
REVIEW CHAMELEONS
QUERY CHAMELEONS
SET CHAMELEONS NOMAIL
SET CHAMELEONS CONCEAL
SET CHAMELEONS NOREPRO
LIST
HELP

--
and also the Trees: http://www.nada.kth.se/~d92-upe/AATT/aatt.html
JoyDivision: http://www.fys.uio.no/~bor/joydiv.html

?

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In article <?-11049618...@kleio.arts.kuleuven.ac.be>, ? (?) wrote:

> In article <4kbger$c...@news.scruz.net>, Lawrence Cleenewerck
> <lcleen...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that someone is signing with quotes from Chameleons - any
> fans out

> > there ? any WWW site of newsgroups ? any news from the band ?
>

> Well, Lawrence,
>
> I for one am a genuine Chameleons fan (as well as a JD/NO fan, of
> coursevdvs vv)hly active newsgroup

OK, let's try that again.

Well, Lawrence,

I for one (or should I make that two?) am a genuine Chameleons fan (as
well as a JD/NO fan, of course), and I am glad to inform you that there is
both a WWW-site and a highly active newsgroup devoted to those other
wonderful Manchester-people.

The newsgroup is nothing like this alt.music.whatever thing: you subscribe
to the mailing list and then you receive all the postings to the list
through e-mail. All you have to do to get subscribed is send a message
with nothing but "subscribe" in the body of the message to
"chameleon...@paradiso.umuc.edu", and a wonderful new world will
open up for you: you learn about the history of the band, about the newest
releases, info about the tours Mark Burgess is still undertaking (with
Yves Altana, nowadays), etc. etc.
There is also an ftp-site where you can find the archives: just type
paradiso.umuc.edu, and the rest is pretty obvious.

Lastly, there is also a www-site, devoted to the band as well as its
various offshoots (sun & the moon, reegs, mark burgess et al.). I don't
have the exact location, but if you use a net-searching device and search
for reegs, you find all the necessary links.

Lastly, there is once more great news about the band: US-based independent
label Cleopatra has just released the soundtrack of the "Hacienda"-video
(early 1983 gig - so much for NO-related content) on a CD, supplemented
with three tracks from a 1982-show at the gallery (including the rare live
versions of high as you can go and another one which escapes me at the
moment).

See you there!

Jan Bollansee

Sproston Green