Did John Denver really sue New Order?

David Stevenson

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
In article <4i43n5$o...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,
rus...@primenet.com (mark rushton) wrote:

>I read on alt.music.alternative somebody's post about how John Denver
>"successfully" sued New Order because NO's "Run" sounds too much like
>"Leaving on a Jet Plane."
>
>First, is it true? Did John Denver really sue New Order? Did he win?
>Can anybody cite a source?

He did start proceedings against New Order, and they settled out of court.
You could read this as an admission of guilt, or you could read it as
being cheaper and easier than trying to fight the case.

I remember the figure of £20000 being mentioned in the music press at the
time.

--
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~ktl/hoagy.html

rev...@usarugby.org

Feb 6, 2019, 5:47:45 PM2/6/19
On Thursday, March 21, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Frito Lay wrote:
> mark rushton wrote:
> >
> > I read on alt.music.alternative somebody's post about how John Denver
> > "successfully" sued New Order because NO's "Run" sounds too much like
> > "Leaving on a Jet Plane."
> >
> > First, is it true? Did John Denver really sue New Order? Did he win?
> > Can anybody cite a source?
>
> Yes, it's all true. John Denver, that Rocky Mountain nerd sued &
> actually won. I read about it in NME or Melody Maker a few yrs back.
> Sounds ridiculous though, doesn't it?!
>
> Attn all N.O. fans:
> You owe it to yourself to get the recently published New Order bio
> titled "New Order + Joy Division: Dreams Never End" by Claude Flowers
> (1995, Omnibus Press). It's chock full of info & stories up to the time
> of
> the "? (the best of) NewOrder" CD.

Denver never knew about the suit, it was Cherry Hill, the record company.