Best Moody Blues lyrics

Ty Steel

Dec 11, 2001, 10:55:07 PM12/11/01
what are your picks for the best lyrics found in moody blues songs?
Here are some of my picks for what I consider to be their all time
best lines. That is one of the things I always loved about the moody
blues. They have the ability to come up with some of the most
stirring lyrics known to rock music. I'll start the list off with my
all time favorite lyric, and list my other favorites:
"Listen to the tide slowly turning
Wash all our heartaches away
We're part of the fire that is burning
And from the ashes we can build another day"
-story in your eyes

"Dawn is a feeling
A beautiful ceiling
The smell of grass
Just makes you pass
Into a dream
You're here today
No future fears
This day will last
A thousand years
If you want it to"

-Dawn is a feeling

"A nightingale plays a dark mellow phrase
Of notes that are rich and so true.
An aerial display by the firefly brigade
Dancing to tunes no-one knew.

In twilight time
Dream with me awhile"
-Twilight Time

"The day we meet again
We will walk in peace
Thru' the garden down the road
Where the mist of time is lifting,
See it rise in the air
Like the shadow I was chasing,
When I looked it wasn't there,
Oh no."

-the day we meet again

"Nights in white satin,
Never reaching the end,
Letters I've written,
Never meaning to send.
Beauty I'd always missed
With these eyes before,
Just what the truth is
I can't say anymore."

-Nights in white satin

"Baby, baby, baby, let's investigate
The other side of life tonight
The lovers and the fighters
And the risks they take
Are on the other side of life tonight
Let's lose our way
Go completely astray
And find ourselves again
You know the only way to get there
Is to take that step
To the other side of life tonight"
-The other side of Life

"'Cos out on the ocean of life my love
There's so many storms we must rise above
Can you hear the spirit calling
As it's carried across the waves
You're already falling
It's calling you back to face the music
And the song that is coming through
You're already falling
The one that it's calling you"
-The Voice

"It's all a dream
Light passing by on the screen
And there's you and I on the beam
Speeding through the universe
Thinking is the best way to travel"
-Best Way To Travel

"There's a leafless tree in Asia
Under the sun there's a homeless man
There's a forest fire in the valley
Where the story all began
What will be our last thought?
Do you think it's coming soon?
Will it be a comfort
Or the pain of a burning wound?
All we are trying to say
Is we are all we've got
You and me just cannot fail
If we never, never stop"
-You and Me

"The blue of the night, the secrets of the light,
The touch of the hand that can lead you.
I know you recognise the shiver of surprise,
Then you realise that he's seen you.
Into the strange unknown of love
Standing before me
How your nakedness shows,
Now I just can't leave you alone."

-say what you mean part 1

azure spirit

Dec 12, 2001, 12:18:43 AM12/12/01
Ty,

Thanks for leaving a FEW for the rest of us!!!

How about my very favorite....

"Don't deny the feeling
that is stealing through your heart.
Every happy ending
needs to have a start."

I'll think of a few more later, but that is the very top of my list!

azure spirit

Russ

Dec 12, 2001, 7:48:26 AM12/12/01
On 11 Dec 2001 19:55:07 -0800, bwa...@yahoo.com (Ty Steel) wrote:

>what are your picks for the best lyrics found in moody blues songs?
>Here are some of my picks for what I consider to be their all time
>best lines. That is one of the things I always loved about the moody
>blues. They have the ability to come up with some of the most
>stirring lyrics known to rock music. I'll start the list off with my
>all time favorite lyric, and list my other favorites:
> "Listen to the tide slowly turning
>Wash all our heartaches away
>We're part of the fire that is burning
>And from the ashes we can build another day"
>-story in your eyes

Beauty, eh!? That was a good tune! <sigh!>
I also liked the lyrics of Dawning Is The Day too.
'...wake up in the morning to yourself and start to be you,
listen, we think we can see you...' (well, something like that).

Russ
One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:
High Above My Head by Ray Thomas

azure spirit

Dec 13, 2001, 12:01:43 AM12/13/01
Yep! That is one of the short lyrics that I wrote on one of my little 3x5 cards for my bulletin board in college!!

azure spirit

Russ

Dec 13, 2001, 7:29:38 AM12/13/01
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:01:43 -0500, "azure spirit"
<gkn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yep! That is one of the short lyrics that I wrote on one of my little 3x5 cards for my bulletin board in college!!

I guess some parts of the lyrics to certain Moody tunes could be
used to make nice little expressions inside cards and posters.

Russ
One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:

Help Is On The Way by Little River Band

staffina security

Dec 13, 2001, 8:34:32 AM12/13/01
thoughts of another day
flashing through my head
thinking how life could be
all of the things that a brave man has said
be what we want to be
what we deserve to be
what we are meant to be

**********

Everywhere you go you'll see them searching
Everywhere you turn you'll feel the pain
Everyone is looking for the answer
We'll look again, come on my friend
Love will find them in the end
Come on my friend we've got to bend
On our knees and say a prayer.

**********

<currently playing: "Laura Palmer's Theme" by Angelo Badalamenti>

azure spirit

Dec 14, 2001, 1:20:58 AM12/14/01
Actually, I just used 3x5 cards for my own enjoyment. ( But I did make a poster out of the one lyric I listed...but I think I told
that story once before!)

azure spirit

azure spirit

Dec 14, 2001, 1:23:19 AM12/14/01
Was that one of the songs from "Twin Peaks"?

azure spirit

Russ

Dec 15, 2001, 12:56:34 AM12/15/01
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 01:20:58 -0500, "azure spirit"
<gkn...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Actually, I just used 3x5 cards for my own enjoyment. ( But I did make a poster out of the one lyric I listed...but I think I told
>that story once before!)

Yes, I seem to recall a story about a poster that you had made.
It was either a poster or an album cover based on EGBDF iirc.
I must confess I'm not much of an artist but I think some of the
Moodies song lyrics would be a natural for posters and cards.
I think 'crimsontwilight' made mention of this idea once before;
if the lyrics weren't copywrited we likely would have seen a lot
of posters like that by now I guess.

Russ
One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:

I'd Love To Change The World by Ten Years After

DMK3659

Dec 15, 2001, 9:05:02 AM12/15/01
Revolution never won
It's just another form of gun
To do again what they have done
With all our brother's youngest sons.

* * * * * *
Once more I've laughed, I've loved and I've lost
Now I'm alone left counting the cost
Once more sweet child of middling years
Basted again in bittersweet tears

* * * * * *
Somebody tell me you love me
Somebody tell me you care
I've got a heart full of giving
Going Nowhere

azure spirit

Dec 15, 2001, 3:56:30 PM12/15/01
Actually, you are correct on both counts!! It was an album cover...but that was for an imaginary album by Jackson Browne called
"Colors of the Sun". The poster was made for my college roommate as a Christmas present. It had the lyric, "Don't deny the feeling

that is stealing through your heart.
Every happy ending
needs to have a start."
It was a definite work of art!!! I tried to make the lettering look the same as the lettering on the EGBDF album cover. I wish I had
it...or a photo of it, today!!

azure spirit

Stephane

Dec 18, 2001, 3:31:34 AM12/18/01
I like.....

"Live hand in hand
and together we'll stand
on the Threshold of a Dream"

Stephane

Dec 18, 2001, 3:41:38 AM12/18/01
In article <vkhe1us3lo7n6mcjn...@4ax.com>, Russ says...

>Russ
>One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:
>High Above My Head by Ray Thomas

High above my Head....well that depends on where I'm at :) ....but I read some
interesting things in the new Higher and Higher about the song. There are a
couple interview notes of Ray's about the making of From Mighty Oaks. He did
this one for Adam too. It's about hope.

I really liked the piece I read about the making of Wish We Could Fly. It's
about perspective.

Ray....well he's an imaginative guy. :) Dang...he's about as bad as I am. :)

We are so blessed.

MES

Dec 18, 2001, 3:20:17 PM12/18/01
Story in Your Eyes is my favorite MB tune. (it's also fun to play).
The last lines of The Dream too.
A couple that hasn't been mentioned are;
"Never blame the rainbows for the rain".
And;
"We look around in wonder,
At the work that has been done,
By the vision of our father,
Touched by his loving son".
mes.

russ

Dec 18, 2001, 10:23:04 PM12/18/01
c,mon, Blasting, bursting, billowing forth with the power of TEN
BILLION butterfly sneezes... They all are the best!

hyperjet

Dec 18, 2001, 10:27:32 PM12/18/01

russ wrote in message <9vp15m$9oa$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>...

>c,mon, Blasting, bursting, billowing forth with the power of TEN
>BILLION butterfly sneezes... They all are the best!

Alright. Here goes:

This is my house
But nobody calls when I'm there
Even a mouse would be welcome to sit in my chair
He can sit in any place he wants
Be welcome as a friend
If I can't have human ones at least I can pretend
Ouwoooooo........

And from the same guy that wrote Love and Beauty......
Someone give this man a hug! ;)
Tr

true blue

Dec 18, 2001, 10:27:27 PM12/18/01
(((HUG)))

Russ

Dec 18, 2001, 11:08:00 PM12/18/01
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:41:38 GMT, Stephane <nos...@newsranger.com>
wrote:

>In article <vkhe1us3lo7n6mcjn...@4ax.com>, Russ says...
>>
>>Russ
>>One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:
>>High Above My Head by Ray Thomas
>

>High above my Head....well that depends on where I'm at :) ....but I read some
>interesting things in the new Higher and Higher about the song. There are a
>couple interview notes of Ray's about the making of From Mighty Oaks. He did
>this one for Adam too. It's about hope.

I liked High Above My Head from the moment I first heard it!

I don't know if I can express my thoughts regarding the music
on the tune but I thought HAMH had a 'big' sound due to the
horns. I like the harmonica as well. The lyrics were great and
and I liked the harmony vocals.

I had always thought the song could have been a hit for Ray.
It's too bad the song never charted (as far as I know) but the
tune will always be a No. 1 hit in my personal chartbook.

Is the article you refer to available online at the H&H website
or is the story only available in the magazine that is delivered
to you?

>I really liked the piece I read about the making of Wish We Could Fly. It's
>about perspective.

I haven't heard the song in ages I must confess.

I wonder how many songs by the members of the band (and
as solo artists) use the word "Fly" or "Flying" in the title or in
the lyrics? I really don't expect anybody to go through all the
lyrics (g) but it seems to me there must be quite a few songs.

>Ray....well he's an imaginative guy. :) Dang...he's about as bad as I am. :)

Modestly speaking...of course. ;)

>We are so blessed.

I don't know what's up with some of the regulars around here
but if I didn't know any better I'd almost think that a few folks
have been just a bit too 'persnickity' (is that a word?) lately. (g)
Hmmm...

Russ
One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:

Moon Shadow by Cat Stevens

azure spirit

Dec 19, 2001, 12:38:25 AM12/19/01
I think it is a word...I have definitely heard it before...but I am not sure how you are meaning it in this instance. I have noticed
the absence of lots of people.

Come on people now...."Tis the Season"!!

azure spirit

Stephane

Dec 19, 2001, 10:30:29 PM12/19/01

"Russ" <nob...@special-here.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:41:38 GMT, Stephane <nos...@newsranger.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <vkhe1us3lo7n6mcjn...@4ax.com>, Russ says...
> >>
> >>Russ
> >>One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:
> >>High Above My Head by Ray Thomas
> >
> Is the article you refer to available online at the H&H website
> or is the story only available in the magazine that is delivered
> to you?

It's in the magazine. The information was taken from some radio interviews.
Maybe they're the same ones as on an interview album that's out there. That
one must be really rare....doubt if I'll ever hear it all so it's way nice
to read about it.

> I wonder how many songs by the members of the band (and
> as solo artists) use the word "Fly" or "Flying" in the title or in
> the lyrics?

I found one tonight in Thinking is the Best Way to Travel....seems I've been
high as a kite before :) lol

I really don't expect anybody to go through all the
> lyrics (g) but it seems to me there must be quite a few songs.
>
> >Ray....well he's an imaginative guy. :) Dang...he's about as bad as I
am. :)

> Modestly speaking...of course. ;)

Modestly????

Your guess is as good as mine :)

> >We are so blessed.
>
> I don't know what's up with some of the regulars around here
> but if I didn't know any better I'd almost think that a few folks
> have been just a bit too 'persnickity' (is that a word?) lately. (g)
> Hmmm...
>
> Russ
> One of my favorite listened to tunes today was:
> Moon Shadow by Cat Stevens

I haven't noticed "persnickity".....

per...means as doesn't it

and snickity.....does that have anything to do with Snicker bars? ??? :)

Thanks for the replacement...........

I wondered how I was gonna live with out eating anymore peanut butter cups
:)

Dang what that man does to a good piece of candy!!!

Stephane

Dec 19, 2001, 10:34:10 PM12/19/01
I don't like Snickers........... :(

"Stephane" <inn...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Stephane

Dec 20, 2001, 6:14:31 AM12/20/01

> I don't like Snickers........... :(

can you make mine a milky way?

Snow flakes someone wants snowflakes

The only snowflake inside here is deeper than rock and roll.

Inside the snow is a drop of blood and the print of a little childs hand
wrapped around the finger of a big peoples hand.

What Child is This?

who leaves such a print in the snow?

DMK3659

Dec 22, 2001, 10:15:51 AM12/22/01
Speaking of "fly" or "flying" being used in lyrics...has anyone noticed how
many times the "ocean" or the "sea" has been used in Moodies lyrics? I once
started a list (since gone missing) of all the songs which used these words or
theme and the number of songs is amazing...

Dennis

DMK3659

Dec 22, 2001, 10:18:26 AM12/22/01
I used to use a snippet of "This Is My House" on my home answering machine...
"This is my house, but nobody calls when I'm there..."

Friends thought I was weird...probably still do.

Dennis

peter...@hotmail.com

Nov 10, 2019, 8:17:57 AM11/10/19

pit...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2020, 2:55:09 PM6/18/20
What about Late Lament?
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?

Patrick Nance

Nov 16, 2020, 4:09:05 PM11/16/20
All of the above and so many more.

This thread has come alive again after more than 19 years. The message the Moody's have given us in so many ways has reawakened in us. Looking back over more than 50 years I can see what they've always been about. The craziness of out present zeitgeist brings their message out in bold relief. It's about the way forward for all mankind. It always has been. It's about Love. "It may be a fire, But you gotta get it into your heart" sums it up. Amen